ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1
bandit_fosky
ninjette.org member

Name: darren

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 r

engine tapping sound

does anyone have any idea what this is.. my brother thinks its the tapits in the valves but i have no knowlage of 4 stroke engines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEpRGwmrBWM
bandit_fosky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
@bandit_fosky

Here is a related thread
I had similar sound with my bike when i got it brand new but, it was and is never as bad as the one in the vid you linked, is that yours? Mine always goes away after engine is warm if i hear it at all.
It seemed like not many people could agree on what the cause was. If you are not mechanically inclined, just take it to the shop and make sure they hear exactly what you are talking about ect...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=rock+engine
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
How many miles?
Service history of valves? Ever?
Oil level full?
When was the last oil change?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
bandit_fosky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
How many miles?
Service history of valves? Ever?
Oil level full?
When was the last oil change?
4251 no idea oil level max about a hour ago. the sounds basicly gone now i changed the oil and oil filter

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Hmmm... intersting. What did the old oil look like? Did it look thinned out? Did it smell of gas?

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like something nasty gummed up an oil passage and then passed through. i would look at the metal oil screen

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
bandit_fosky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like something nasty gummed up an oil passage and then passed through. i would look at the metal oil screen
oil was BLACK the glass looks all steamed up always and there a little bit of solid oil at the bottem. i gave her a full oil change today aswell as oil filter i may have over filled it ever so slithly but i dont think that would make much diffrence would it? when the bikes running the oil goes right down to just below the minimum level

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

A little bit overfilled is ok, a lot is bad. Major no no. When in doubt drain some out and refill to proper level.

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Solid oil?!?!?!? hahahahahah It was time then aye?

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
bandit_fosky
ninjette.org member

ringing this thread back to life the noise is back and i dont want to run the engine for risk of destroying the engine what shall i do? :/

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #11
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Here's what is happening.

The liquid oil after a while turns into solid gunk. This gunk is blocking your oil passages but more importantly it is stuffing your clearances. You have none at start up. Then things get moving, warm oil gets flowing the gunk gets cleared away by the cams and the tapping noise goes away.

The tapping sound you are experiencing is similar to worn camshaft lobes. But your camshafts are fine. You need to get that gunk out of there.

If you want to do it properly you need to pull it apart and clean everything with brake cleaner.

If you dont have the time you need to use an engine oil flush.

Liqui moly make a really good one. I know 2 people who are experiencing this same problem on cars and have fixed it using liqui moly on my advice.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #12
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

P.S

When you drain the oil. You will still have about 50 to 100 cc's left in the head. This is more oil then you think and is a lot more than is needed to gunk up and make your engine tick/tap and run like and old washing machine. I can only imagine what is sitting above the number 1 cylinder.

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubarney View Post
Here's what is happening.

The liquid oil after a while turns into solid gunk. This gunk is blocking your oil passages but more importantly it is stuffing your clearances. You have none at start up. Then things get moving, warm oil gets flowing the gunk gets cleared away by the cams and the tapping noise goes away.

The tapping sound you are experiencing is similar to worn camshaft lobes. But your camshafts are fine. You need to get that gunk out of there.

If you want to do it properly you need to pull it apart and clean everything with brake cleaner.

If you dont have the time you need to use an engine oil flush.

Liqui moly make a really good one. I know 2 people who are experiencing this same problem on cars and have fixed it using liqui moly on my advice.

I had this sound with my brand new bike, i noticed it at 80 miles. Took it to the shop for 600 service and they were like "normal sounds for this bike" I called BS on that but they still had no answer. I have not noticed it lately. I first noticed it when it was cold and i think it might of had something to do with my oil getting foamy for some reason or another. I will see if i can still hear it now. I have 3500 on the bike now, i got it last October and have had no issues, bike runs good.

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #14
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

This sound isn't normal for this bike. I have never heard this sound on my bike, nor on any ninja 250 I have heard start up.

It sounds exactly the same as my mate's Holden Commodore VX with 120 000 miles. Now it runs smooth but only after a flush and oil change. His motor was all varnished up on the inside.

You can fix this problem temporarily without pulling it apart, but I doubt your engine will last very long.

Just because your engine is new doesn't mean it is in good condition. Here's a crankshaft main bearing after only 6000 miles. I change oil every 1200 miles. More during break-in.

To give you an idea of the oil left in the head after draining it check out this photo. Here's what a clean head looks like.

If you have solid oil in the bottom where oil flow is good. Your definitely going to have some serious build up in the head where the only oil flow comes through a small banjo bolt oil hose.

Old March 16th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
bandit_fosky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
This sound isn't normal for this bike. I have never heard this sound on my bike, nor on any ninja 250 I have heard start up.

It sounds exactly the same as my mate's Holden Commodore VX with 120 000 miles. Now it runs smooth but only after a flush and oil change. His motor was all varnished up on the inside.

You can fix this problem temporarily without pulling it apart, but I doubt your engine will last very long.

Just because your engine is new doesn't mean it is in good condition. Here's a crankshaft main bearing after only 6000 miles. I change oil every 1200 miles. More during break-in.

To give you an idea of the oil left in the head after draining it check out this photo. Here's what a clean head looks like.

If you have solid oil in the bottom where oil flow is good. Your definitely going to have some serious build up in the head where the only oil flow comes through a small banjo bolt oil hose.
..were are the pistons?

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #16
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

underneath the head. I don't have a photo of them on the bike

I mis read your post subzero. If your bike is brand new (under 200 miles) I would think that the sound may be from the break in process and be completely normal.

If your bike has 1000 miles or over and is still making this noise then something isn't right.

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #17
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
underneath the head. I don't have a photo of them on the bike

I mis read your post subzero. If your bike is brand new (under 200 miles) I would think that the sound may be from the break in process and be completely normal.

If your bike has 1000 miles or over and is still making this noise then something isn't right.

no worries, i listened on friday and no noise but, it has not been as cold. regardless i have not heard it since 600 service. again i think it had something to do with foamy oil and cold conditions in my instance