Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 5th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
When the racing line could kill you part 2

Because the OP of the original thread blocked me, I was unable to contribute to that thread.

The picture was taken from this article.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/wh...src=SOC&dom=fb

This happens more often that we like. I personally like to delay apex around sharp, blind corners. It gives me more visual around the corner if I stay outside as long as possible. Mind you, I'm just cruising along when doing this....never at a spirited pace in public.

But following this driver and seeing what he was doing made the hair on the back of my neck stood up. He was doing this the entire time. I only caught 2 mins on video. But for the entire time we were on this road, this was the way he drove. We were not going fast at all. The corners weren't sharp at all. I purposely gave him a lot of room so he doesn't think I'm pressuring him to go any faster.

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 5th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The cage... classic turning in too early. And... next time Cadd, pull over and let these guys go on without you. You're going to be involved in whatever silliness this driver causes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #3
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yep. This is exactly why I keep away from that center line.

I think drivers like this are also the reason we have dots on the lane-lines to alert drivers when they cross it. Reflectors and dots. Husband and I call it "driving by braille" when they drive like that joker does.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I call it "driving by braille"
Love it!!! If you don't mind, imma steal that for use in my coaching please?

EDIT: I will give credit where credit is due also.

Old July 5th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Sure, no problem!

We've got a friend who's *awful* about his lane lines. Can't stay between them for anything. I don't get it myself. Why is it so hard to stay in your lane?

Old July 5th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I don't get it myself. Why is it so hard to stay in your lane?

Thanks, as for you friend, he/she must have a disconnected vision skill vs steering skill problem imho. I hope all the best for them though,

Old July 5th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #7
CaliGrrl

He's never paid any attention to what the car's doing, and it takes a *lot* of effort when he does try to stay in the lines. When he lived near us, my hubby was working with him to drive more smoothly, but now that he's back on the east coast he's back to his old bad habits. Apparently everyone in NYC drives like that.

I think it would make me crazy.

And I'm glad he wasn't generally inclined for the scenic canyon drives.

Old July 6th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
MI (along with other states) has actually started putting rumble strips on the centerline. http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,...1394--,00.html
Quote:
A before-and-after crash study performed for the 2008-2010 installation locations found significant reductions across all crash severities and lane departure crash types, including:
  • 50% reduction in head-on crashes
  • 46% reduction in run-off-the-road crashes
  • 51% reduction in fatal crashes
  • 41% reduction in incapacitating injury crashes
I feel like it's something a decent driver should never need, but it's probably good as a final warning system just in case.

While crash/injury/fatality reductions are always good, the flipside is that this also points out just how much people cross the centerline. If you're not ready to hit a car head-on, you need to be on the lookout for people crossing into your lane.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Going by the experience I had going to Cedar Point on the 4th, I am starting to wonder if people are afraid of going off the edge of the road. Especially on skinny two lane roads. I take the back way into the park since it's a great view of the water and the pretty houses. Normally there are not alot of cars but being the holiday it was slower going. I had a guy two cars in front of me in a Ford Fusion that was on or over the yellow line the whole time driving unless a car was coming the other way. The reason I think people like that might be afraid of the edge of the road is because every time a car would come from the other way he would slow way down almost to a crawl and move over just enough to give them room. I wish I knew what was going on in people's heads sometimes.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote