ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #41
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sure,

100% honesty
  1. They park all the bikes in specific spots (yours and theirs). Sure you can keep your bike in your pit if you want but you better keep a close eye on when your group is going out on track. I lost 10mins of my session because I kept my bike in my pit instead of with everyone else's and didn't hear the call (granted I was super busy). imho... For safety and other reasons, I like the bikes to be in front of the rider's eyes as much as possible. Stuff gets loose at pace and if your bike is parked in a row out of sight of your pit, how are you gunna notice a problem before it costs you track time or worse? It comes from coaching soccer many years ago. Google "# of touches" to find out more.
  2. The classroom time somewhat felt 50/50 science and tech vs. addressing real world rider concerns (reading your group of students would help here) Some groups of students may like more tech than others. My read of my group, it was interesting stuff, but most just wanted a slimmed down version of the tech and more of the meat and potatoes.
  3. Coaches pulled double duty and rode for multiple groups. As a student, they are inaccessible while on track and you're in the paddock. You get a short debriefing time with the coach after each session but questions don't follow a time constraint. Not only that, but my debriefing was cut short 100% of the time to get to the classroom on time. (relates to coaches pulling double duty) One on one time with your coach is what I feel you are really paying for (90%/10%).
  4. I personally hate to be rushed, a track day/school day is busy enough as a rider, it's even busier as a coach. Their coach's work load would rush me and when I feel rushed, I am not at my best. And if someone was hurt because I wasn't at my best...
  5. The day was very structured and on time. I personally like the on time part, but the structure didn't allow for much freedom to color outside the lines as needed. I like to add the personal touch of coming to someone's pit and having a water with them. Just 2 riders having a informal chat with some laughs if you will.
  6. Paddock moral. The "fun" factor was low in the paddock. Not many laughs.... why so serious all the time? If you're not having fun, why even be there? The classroom time has a few laughs though.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #42
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
[*]Coaches pulled double duty and rode for multiple groups. As a student, they are inaccessible while on track and you're in the paddock. You get a short debriefing time with the coach after each session but questions don't follow a time constraint. Not only that, but my debriefing was cut short 100% of the time to get to the classroom on time. (relates to coaches pulling double duty) One on one time with your coach is what I feel you are really paying for (90%/10%).
[*]I personally hate to be rushed, a track day/school day is busy enough as a rider, it's even busier as a coach. Their coach's work load would rush me and when I feel rushed, I am not at my best. And if someone was hurt because I wasn't at my best...
[*]Paddock moral. The "fun" factor was low in the paddock. Not many laughs.... why so serious all the time? If you're not having fun, why even be there? The classroom time has a few laughs though.
These three stand out to me,

one of the best coaches with TPM rides every group and is literally never in the pits with the exception of lunch. He has some of the best advice but is rarely around in the pits to further explain what he says in hotpit

being rushed is bad and leads to mistakes, I'm not a fan of that

Biggest thing is the last one, gotta have some fun in there

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #43
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Thanks for that; I definitely felt #3 - #6 when I was there. I was running around yappin with a couple of guys from my session during down time and we were having fun, but the coaches were either pulling double duty or just looked like they were kinda worn out from rushing from 1 place to the next.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #44
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Separate post for the good aspects.
  • The day ran smooth as silk. 99% on time and issues addressed with the quickness. The track was green 98% of the day.
  • Their coaching cannot be beat imho. It's like they can read your mind or some crazy stuff. Naw... they watch and listen to you ride on track. It's very telling. You CANT lie to the coaches (I tried to throw them a curve ball). They will know but never tell, you would only be selling yourself short.
  • You CAN ride fast in level 1. They tell you to ride at 75% and they really mean it. Level 1 doesn't mean go slow, it means to "play nice" with traffic. If you're an experienced rider and you ride too slow, the drills effectiveness are not truly felt because your frame of reference is off. Ride at a comfortable pace where you can do the drills and make safe passes when in traffic or utilize hot pit. DO NOT HOLD BACK TOO MUCH!!!!!
  • Lara (dedicated student services person) is always walking around in the paddock just looking for people to help with whatever, she don't care what the issue is. It's a huge credit to the days events right where it counts.... the paying customers.

Too many other things to list... but you get the idea.

Last futzed with by csmith12; May 14th, 2015 at 10:07 AM.

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #45
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
the coaches were either pulling double duty or just looked like they were kinda worn out from rushing from 1 place to the next.
It's amazing that they deliver a super high level of coaching even when tired. They do their best to hide it, but you can't hide nature. Lot's of "riders" would just give up and just put in useless laps when tired. These guys work even when seemingly nearly totally spent. It must be a level of willpower beyond the normal that they have vs. your everyday rider/coach.

Old May 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #46
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
It's amazing that they deliver a super high level of coaching even when tired. They do their best to hide it, but you can't hide nature. Lot's of "riders" would just give up and just put in useless laps when tired. These guys work even when seemingly nearly totally spent. It must be a level of willpower beyond the normal that they have vs. your everyday rider/coach.
Yeah, I know a guy that does that and it amazes me

he coached white, yellow, and red groups with TPM one day and occasionally rode in blue for fun on top of that. It felt almost like he was training for an endurance race while coaching (he helped me quite a bit too)

Old May 13th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #47
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Quote:
Yup. My coach was Lyle (I've met him before at a promo event) and man, sharp, sharp guy. Doesn't miss a thing even at the end of a 2 day session.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #48
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Chris, I know this was a great experience, and one most of us will never experienced. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am glad the decision was easy for you.

I am sure you can add more hands, your a little closer to a million.

Old May 13th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #49
chris 25Or
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR1000rr, 2012 BMW S1000rr, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2015 KTM RC 390, 2013 Triumph 675R

Quote:
@chris 25Or

I am sorry I didn't get to catch up with you. If you check the post above, I was super slammed but I did make a lap around the paddock to find you. I guess you were on track at the time. I seen one KTM, was that yours? I waited for a few mins to see if the rider would come back but I guess class was in sesssion.

Next time man!
I was looking for your trailer. I mostly rode my S1000rr, but a rode the RC390 twice in the morning.

next time hopefully at Jennings.
chris 25Or is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #50
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 25Or View Post
I was looking for your trailer. I mostly rode my S1000rr, but a rode the RC390 twice in the morning.

next time hopefully at Jennings.
planning on riding shenandoah sometime this season? I'll be there June 6/7

Chris' trailer is hard to miss too thanks to the reactor sticker on the back

Old May 13th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #51
chris 25Or
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR1000rr, 2012 BMW S1000rr, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2015 KTM RC 390, 2013 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
planning on riding shenandoah sometime this season? I'll be there June 6/7

Chris' trailer is hard to miss too thanks to the reactor sticker on the back

I did Shenandoah on May 10(Sunday) and then CSS on Monday and Tuesday. I plan to do more track day but June 6 is my son's birthday. Not sure yet.
chris 25Or is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #52
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Good points on the positive and negative. They are in-line with my thoughts too. Now the fun begins. Application!
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote