ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:43 AM   #1
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Honda CB400 Super Four, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

chain came off while riding

Anyone able to shed any light on this . I went for a ride this morning - quite a lot of time on the freeway doing around 140 kph then used the back roads to come home. I was riding in a 60 kph zone, approaching a stop when all of a sudden the gear shot down into neutral, the bike stopped abruptly and would not budge forward. I got off the bike to find that the chain had come off. I managed to get it more or less back on and rode the short distance to my mom's place. Once I got to her it came off again.. same scenario. I did notice that it was VERY slack and also that there was a lot of reddish 'dust' looking stuff over the chain and back wheel.. almost like I had been riding off-road in a red dusty area. A new chain was fitted about 6 weeks ago. I am ashamed to say I have not lubed it since then and neither have I checked its slackness as I assumed - probably incorrectly - that it would be OK because it was new. I cannot tell you how relieved I was that it happened at a low speed and not on the freeway, as the bike literally came to a sudden stop . Any guesses??
hereiam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:47 AM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereiam View Post
Anyone able to shed any light on this . I went for a ride this morning - quite a lot of time on the freeway doing around 140 kph then used the back roads to come home. I was riding in a 60 kph zone, approaching a stop when all of a sudden the gear shot down into neutral, the bike stopped abruptly and would not budge forward. I got off the bike to find that the chain had come off. I managed to get it more or less back on and rode the short distance to my mom's place. Once I got to her it came off again.. same scenario. I did notice that it was VERY slack and also that there was a lot of reddish 'dust' looking stuff over the chain and back wheel.. almost like I had been riding off-road in a red dusty area. A new chain was fitted about 6 weeks ago. I am ashamed to say I have not lubed it since then and neither have I checked its slackness as I assumed - probably incorrectly - that it would be OK because it was new. I cannot tell you how relieved I was that it happened at a low speed and not on the freeway, as the bike literally came to a sudden stop . Any guesses??

way to almost kill your self for not taking a few min to make sure it was ok. also is your sprocket still good? did you make sure it was correct when you got the new chain even?

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Anyone able to shed any light on this . .........approaching a stop when all of a sudden............ I managed to get it more or less back on and rode............. Once I got to her it came off again.. same scenario. I did notice that it was VERY slack and also that there was a lot of reddish 'dust' looking stuff over the chain and back wheel.. almost like I had been riding off-road in a red dusty area. A new chain was fitted about 6 weeks ago. I am ashamed to say I have not lubed it since then and neither have I checked its slackness as I assumed - probably incorrectly - that it would be OK because it was new............... Any guesses??
Your rear wheel is crooked respect to the plane in which the front sprocket is.
When accelerating, the top leg of the chain loop is under tension and the small sprocket can accommodate the misalignment.
When decelerating, the bottom leg of the chain loop is under tension and the big sprocket cannot accommodate the misalignment.

The red dust could be rust and internal lubrication that escaped through damaged O-rings, if your chain is the sealed type.

It works the other way around, the metal parts wear a lot during the first 1000 km and slower after that adjustment period.

It seems that this chain is done, but you could measure the elongation to be sure.
Lubricate the new chain after each tank fill up.

If you have to slide your rear wheel backwards to adjust the slack of a chain, always use both sides tensors and re-check the alignment of both wheels.

What happened to you is extremely dangerous; ...................if you don't learn how to detect these problems while evolving, it can happen again !!!
You have a lot to learn about servicing and adjusting your chain; try researching this site for very useful DIY threads on that subject.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:05 AM   #4
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post

way to almost kill your self for not taking a few min to make sure it was ok. also is your sprocket still good? did you make sure it was correct when you got the new chain even?
I know.. unbelievably foolish, no question. When I had the new chain fitted the workshop didn't mention anything about the sprockets, which I feel they would have done had it been necessary.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM   #5
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

A shop did the work and did not check for alignment or lube the chain? Did i read that correctly?

If so do not return to that shop.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM   #6
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Your rear wheel is crooked respect to the plane in which the front sprocket is.
When accelerating, the top leg of the chain loop is under tension and the small sprocket can accommodate the misalignment.
When decelerating, the bottom leg of the chain loop is under tension and the big sprocket cannot accommodate the misalignment.

The red dust could be rust and internal lubrication that escaped through damaged O-rings, if your chain is the sealed type.

It works the other way around, the metal parts wear a lot during the first 1000 km and slower after that adjustment period.

It seems that this chain is done, but you could measure the elongation to be sure.
Lubricate the new chain after each tank fill up.

If you have to slide your rear wheel backwards to adjust the slack of a chain, always use both sides tensors and re-check the alignment of both wheels.

What happened to you is extremely dangerous; ...................if you don't learn how to detect these problems while evolving, it can happen again !!!
You have a lot to learn about servicing and adjusting your chain; try researching this site for very useful DIY threads on that subject.
Thanks so much for all your information and help Motofool I am a very new rider with so much to learn. I actually feel sick to my stomach when I think of how it could have ended. I'm ashamed of what I did and I know I have so much to learn.. wish I was more technically minded. I will definitely scour these very helpful threads to familiarise myself with some basic DIY. Thanks for the advice..

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:17 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
......... wish I was more technically minded. I will definitely scour these very helpful threads to familiarise myself with some basic DIY. Thanks for the advice..
I know, it seems overwhelming when you are new to motorcycling, but it is not really that complicated if you want to learn to keep your bike and your riding techniques safe.

You don't have to do all the mechanical work yourself, but learning enough to detect a dangerous condition will help you very much.

The main defective things that could end up bad are:
  • Tires
  • Brakes
  • Chain
  • Fuel leaks
  • Low level of coolant

Please, find related advise here:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...rvicespecs.asp

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...HOWVEHTABS%3d1

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...5&lang_code=EN

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:56 AM   #8
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I know, it seems overwhelming when you are new to motorcycling, but it is not really that complicated if you want to learn to keep your bike and your riding techniques safe.

You don't have to do all the mechanical work yourself, but learning enough to detect a dangerous condition will help you very much.

The main defective things that could end up bad are:
  • Tires
  • Brakes
  • Chain
  • Fuel leaks
  • Low level of coolant

Please, find related advise here:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...rvicespecs.asp

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...HOWVEHTABS%3d1

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...5&lang_code=EN
Brilliant.. I really, really appreciate the links to those threads You are so right - I do feel overwhelmed, even more so today

Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Brilliant.. I really, really appreciate the links to those threads You are so right - I do feel overwhelmed, even more so today
You are welcome, Carol

It takes time and some effort, but it is worth becoming the best motorcyclist that you can be.

This is a wonderful sport and the goal should be riding better and better and accident free for many, many years !!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM   #10
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
This happened to me, too, when I first got my bike. I bought it with a janky ass gold chain that was new when I bought it and the chain didn't even last 1,000 miles. I'm sure it was not properly installed and adjusted. I also had red dust all over the chain. My chain fell off in 2nd gear and luckily it didn't get caught in the wheel... Anyway, what shop did you go to?!?! Don't go back!

Get yourself a DID X-ring chain and some JT steel (NOT aluminum) sprockets. If you care for them properly, they should last a very very long time. Check your swing arm (where your axle bolt is) - there are lines for you to see how the chain is adjusted. Make sure the little notch on the axle or the adjusters lines up with the notches on the swing arm in the same place on BOTH sides of the bike. It's hard to explain but go youtube 'motorcycle chain adjustment' and you can see it. You should clean and lube your chain and check it for proper tension (you want about 1 inch of play - up and down movement - when you push on the chain at the lowest point underneath the swing arm).

Glad you didn't get killed, don't feel bad about not knowing, we all start somewhere and if no one tells you, how can you know? Just be sure you are actively learning! Good luck!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:42 AM   #11
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
This happened to me, too, when I first got my bike. I bought it with a janky ass gold chain that was new when I bought it and the chain didn't even last 1,000 miles. I'm sure it was not properly installed and adjusted. I also had red dust all over the chain. My chain fell off in 2nd gear and luckily it didn't get caught in the wheel... Anyway, what shop did you go to?!?! Don't go back!

Get yourself a DID X-ring chain and some JT steel (NOT aluminum) sprockets. If you care for them properly, they should last a very very long time. Check your swing arm (where your axle bolt is) - there are lines for you to see how the chain is adjusted. Make sure the little notch on the axle or the adjusters lines up with the notches on the swing arm in the same place on BOTH sides of the bike. It's hard to explain but go youtube 'motorcycle chain adjustment' and you can see it. You should clean and lube your chain and check it for proper tension (you want about 1 inch of play - up and down movement - when you push on the chain at the lowest point underneath the swing arm).

Glad you didn't get killed, don't feel bad about not knowing, we all start somewhere and if no one tells you, how can you know? Just be sure you are actively learning! Good luck!
Thanks so much Finesse I am feeling like an absolute fool for putting myself and potentially others at risk

I am very overwhelmed but have printed off some info that Motofool kindly linked me to. I will definitely not go back to the workshop that fitted the new chain as I have lost confidence in them. I am also going to find out if there is anyone that runs a bike maintenance course as I think I could learn a lot from something like that. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Riding a motorcycle is like flying an airplane. You need a check list before you start up and go for a ride.

Gas
Oil
Antifreeze
Tire wear and pressure
Chain lube and adjustment
Brakes
Nothing is loose and/or about to fall off
Throttle and clutch levers and cables are good

Look into the check list any race organization checks before they let you on the race and you will see what you need to check to be safe.

Old August 4th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #13
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Just a quick update - I had a mechanic view my bike to find out what had caused the 'mishap' and feel only slightly better as it was something that was beyond my control. One month ago I had a new chain and rear tyre fitted. He said that the rear wheel was tightened but the rear safety nut was left at the tension negative which caused the wheel to move forward resulting in the chain to come off and rear wheel locking up and damaging the tyre, chain and possibly the rear sprocket. He believes that the tyre and chain fitment was done incorrectly and that the tyre has two carved grooves due to the swingarm touching when the wheel was pulled forward when the chain came off. Chain twisted when it came off - rear sprocket needs replacing due to the chain that twisted and bent around it. In a nutshell. English is not his home language but that is the gist of it.

I have contacted the workshop that did the fitment as I feel they should be responsible for supplying me with new needed parts - I will not be asking them to do the fitting..

Old August 4th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #14
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

Quote:
Just a quick update - I had a mechanic view my bike to find out what had caused the 'mishap' and feel only slightly better as it was something that was beyond my control.
At the risk of Alex running me off let me be blunt in the interest of helping to educate a new rider.

You had no control over the allegedly poor work the shop performed. Once you decided to throw your leg over that saddle your limits to liability stopped. You made the conscious decision to ride that bike. Once you do that you become responsible for whether the bike has been properly maintained or not. This is especially true when follow up maintenance needs to be performed and you don't do it. You admitted to such.

There is a wealth of info out there and no one should ever ride a bike if they don't know anything about it. If you know so little you can't feel what had to be serious riding issues once you got up to speed you need to read more before riding.ou need to attend a MSF course, seek out a mentor, something.

I love riding. I hope you still love it and safely ride for the rest of your life if you so choose. I hope the same for everyone else. Having said that each of us have a responsibility to ourselves, fellow motorists and a nation to start taking ownership of things, especially when those things could get you killed. Especially when those things could leave you a love and get someone else killed.

This is nothing short of never performing a "pin check" on your parachute b/c you had a "qualified" rigger check the outfit for you. When you climb out that door it better be right or it's your butt. They are still standing on terra firma sipping coffee.

I sincerely hope that helps you become a safer rider.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Just a quick update - I had a mechanic view my bike to find out what had caused the 'mishap' and feel only slightly better as it was something that was beyond my control. One month ago I had a new chain and rear tyre fitted. He said that the rear wheel was tightened but the rear safety nut was left at the tension negative which caused the wheel to move forward resulting in the chain to come off and rear wheel locking up and damaging the tyre, chain and possibly the rear sprocket. He believes that the tyre and chain fitment was done incorrectly and that the tyre has two carved grooves due to the swingarm touching when the wheel was pulled forward when the chain came off. Chain twisted when it came off - rear sprocket needs replacing due to the chain that twisted and bent around it. In a nutshell. English is not his home language but that is the gist of it.

I have contacted the workshop that did the fitment as I feel they should be responsible for supplying me with new needed parts - I will not be asking them to do the fitting..
Typical issues when you have someone "qualified" work on your cycle - at all levels.

As others have noted, it's your job to look-over any work that's been done by a shop or "mechanic' you've hired. That means checking the oil level after an oil change or checking the alignment of the rear wheel after chain replacement.

It would be difficult to spot a nut that's not torqued, but chances are the wheel cocked to the side and the tire was rubbing some time before tossing the chain. The chain tension most likely would have been incorrect, directing you to the issue.

That's why most of us here do our own work. By the time you double check all of the work you paid to have done, you might as well have done it yourself. You should be looking at and adjusting/lubing the chain regularly yourself anyway, so the problems should be caught quickly.

At this point in time, with the Internet, it's so easy to find information and even videos that walk you through a process. Save the money you would give a mechanic and buy some tools and a Service Manual.

Here's a link to a video on adjusting your chain properly - http://canyonchasers.net/video/chain.php

As N-m noted , as soon as you throw a leg over your cycle, no matter who worked on it or how qualified they are, it's all on you.

Last futzed with by jkv45; August 4th, 2014 at 08:55 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #16
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Carol, I will not continue with what the others have said as you've already experienced first hand the consequences of not checking your ride.

I do want to add something that may help. I'm not sure if Cape Town has an equivalent, but here there is a organization called the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. One of the things they teach is the preflight checklist (which both @Motofool and @CC Cowboy have given you) but they also teach a handy memory guide.

T-CLOCS

Tires
Controls
Lights
Oil
Chasis
Sidestand

Here is the full list: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C..._Checklist.pdf

It may seem like A LOT to look over, but after a few times doing it, you'll know where everything is, what everything is supposed to do/be when correct, and the check only takes a few minutes.

For the first few months of riding, I kept that list in the map pocket on my tank bag and would walk through it before each ride as I was gearing up. Now I have it memorized so do my walk around just before I go.

I am looking forward to reading about your continued riding and hopefully you will share with us reports and pictures of your favorite rides!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #17
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the links and advice. We do not have an MSF course in South Africa but I have attended various safety classes. I obtained my licence last April and have only ridden around 15000 kms so I know I am a novice, also rather late to riding my own bike but enjoying it nevertheless. I do spend hours reading up about safe riding techniques but I clearly haven't spend enough time learning the technical stuff - hopefully it is 'learnable'. I managed to do an oil change on my Honda and regularly lubed the chain. With the new chain on the Ninja I thought that it would be OK for a few hundred kms before needing attention. I have learnt a major lesson.. sorry to ramble on, but perhaps this post could help someone else who is also learning?? Thanks for listening

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #18
hereiam
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Carol, I will not continue with what the others have said as you've already experienced first hand the consequences of not checking your ride.

I do want to add something that may help. I'm not sure if Cape Town has an equivalent, but here there is a organization called the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. One of the things they teach is the preflight checklist (which both @Motofool and @CC Cowboy have given you) but they also teach a handy memory guide.

T-CLOCS

Tires
Controls
Lights
Oil
Chasis
Sidestand

Here is the full list: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C..._Checklist.pdf

It may seem like A LOT to look over, but after a few times doing it, you'll know where everything is, what everything is supposed to do/be when correct, and the check only takes a few minutes.

For the first few months of riding, I kept that list in the map pocket on my tank bag and would walk through it before each ride as I was gearing up. Now I have it memorized so do my walk around just before I go.

I am looking forward to reading about your continued riding and hopefully you will share with us reports and pictures of your favorite rides!
Thanks Nevada Wolf - I am going to print it out.. I am determined to get it right Thanks also for the encouragement

Old August 4th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You lucky devil you... The thing about bikes and luck.

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck. - unknown

My take?
In the world of riding, you will get lucky many, many times but you may only get the chance to be unlucky once. - csmith
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote