ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 30th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #1
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

2010 Ninja 250R - Idle / throttle question

Hi guys,

I recently just bought a 2010 ninja 250R from a woman who hasn't used this in a few years. I'm going to explain this the best as I can, please forgive me since I am a first time bike owner. Now when the bike is warm and in idle, it's at 1400 rpm. When I give it throttle, sometimes the throttle (move my wrist a bit) is weak and not responsive (feels like it gives no gas) and sometimes its responsive, if that makes any sense. Like sometime when I move the throttle a bit, it's not enough to rev the engine so I have to turn my wrist more. Also when I do give it a quick rev and let go off the throttle, The rpms sometimes kinda creep up by itself and it doesn't go back to 1400 rpm instantly. Another thing is that I was in neutral and just staring at the rpms the rpms creeped up to like 2-3k ish and was hovering there and then I turned off the bike. And when I turned off the bike it sounded like the fan was still running, is this normal?

Also, how do I know if I have a good amount of oil and brake fluid? Any suggestions on what's happening or is this normal? Also, I'm planning on doing a full tune up such as oil change, brake fluid and spark plugs.

I thank everyone in advanced for any comments/advice/help etc...

Regards,

Angelo

Happy Riding
misterangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
You need to service the carburetors, I suggest PM @ducatiman for you needs.

Then start reading, http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

If you need anything just let me know

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Angelo!

Let's solve your issues in order of importance.

1. oil
2. brakes
3. throttle/tuning

Oil - Simply put, your oil level can be viewed in the sight glass on the right side of the engine near the rear brake lever. It should be near the top of the glass when the bike is level and straight up and down. Overfilling the oil level is a BAD thing.

Brakes - Simple again, there are 2 fluid reservoirs on your bike. One for the front and one for the rear.

The front is near the throttle, it's the little black box with a sight glass on the side. You want it to be full to the top of the sight glass or over even. When in doubt, don't ride and take the cap off and look inside there to ensure there to ensure the proper level of fluid. If you overfill it, it won't hurt the brakes but spilled brake fluid will be hell on your paint. Oh and the screws are very easy to strip.

The rear brake reservoir is on the right side just behind where you heel would be if you were riding. It's a white plastic cylinder with a black lid. There are lines on the reservoir for min and max. The fluid level should be between those two lines.

Throttle/Tuning problem - Assuming everything is stock, it sounds like you need a carb cleaning and the airbox/air filter/snorkel checked. Honestly, if you're asking how to check the oil and brake fluid levels, cleaning the carb is going to be a job that you will need help on. Got a friend that can assist?

Any plans to take the MSF? Already done that? Again, welcome and being new is one of the best times as a rider.

Gear up and be safe out there!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Chris may I add or honestly correct one point from what you said.
If anyone is not used or doesn't exactly know what he/she is doing then keep the fingers away from working at the brake-system, because otherwise as carbs this is affecting the safety of any vehicle.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Chris may I add or honestly correct one point from what you said.
If anyone is not used or doesn't exactly know what he/she is doing then keep the fingers away from working at the brake-system, because otherwise as carbs this is affecting the safety of any vehicle.
Np, fair enough comment.

I figger... if you can't keep all fluids topped off, then sell it. On the other hand, you gotta learn somehow. Angelo posted the question, so the learning process has already started.

Old August 30th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #6
misterangelo
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Angelo!

Let's solve your issues in order of importance.

1. oil
2. brakes
3. throttle/tuning

Oil - Simply put, your oil level can be viewed in the sight glass on the right side of the engine near the rear brake lever. It should be near the top of the glass when the bike is level and straight up and down. Overfilling the oil level is a BAD thing.

Brakes - Simple again, there are 2 fluid reservoirs on your bike. One for the front and one for the rear.

The front is near the throttle, it's the little black box with a sight glass on the side. You want it to be full to the top of the sight glass or over even. When in doubt, don't ride and take the cap off and look inside there to ensure there to ensure the proper level of fluid. If you overfill it, it won't hurt the brakes but spilled brake fluid will be hell on your paint. Oh and the screws are very easy to strip.

The rear brake reservoir is on the right side just behind where you heel would be if you were riding. It's a white plastic cylinder with a black lid. There are lines on the reservoir for min and max. The fluid level should be between those two lines.

Throttle/Tuning problem - Assuming everything is stock, it sounds like you need a carb cleaning and the airbox/air filter/snorkel checked. Honestly, if you're asking how to check the oil and brake fluid levels, cleaning the carb is going to be a job that you will need help on. Got a friend that can assist?

Any plans to take the MSF? Already done that? Again, welcome and being new is one of the best times as a rider.

Gear up and be safe out there!

Hey, thank you very much for the help. I just wanted to make sure which is which so I thought I'd ask here. Going to change the oil/filter and brake fluid sometime this week. Any recommendations on what fluids to use?

Thanks
misterangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterangelo View Post
Hey, thank you very much for the help. I just wanted to make sure which is which so I thought I'd ask here. Going to change the oil/filter and brake fluid sometime this week. Any recommendations on what fluids to use?

Thanks
Oil? Many of us use Shell T6 full synthetic (yes, it's heavy duty diesel)
Brake fluid? DOT 4 or 5.1 your fav brand will do just fine
Coolant? Whatever floats your boat, as long as it's mixed right.