ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Cool Bought the better 250cc from Kawasaki

Well I got the better 250cc from Kawasaki. A used 2009 KLX250SF. But seriously this bike is way better than my pregen in almost every way. But that isn’t a fair comparison since my 06 Ninjette was designed 20+ years ago. This supermoto is everything I wanted it to be and more. It is a hoot to ride! Most of my riding is commuting to college 4 days a week and to work on the weekends. This bike works wonderfully for commuting. But that’s not exactly why I got it. I wanted to be a hooligan. I have only had this bike for a little over 24hrs and have ridden close to 200 miles already. You can’t get me away from it. Haha. Need to change the oil tomorrow.

I have been looking for a dual sport or supermoto for a couple months now with not much luck until last week. I have had terrible luck over the past few months finding a bike I wanted. I almost had a WR250R but the guy sold it just hours before I called him. After that I decided I was gonna get the new Honda CRF250L, but came to my senses and realized I didn’t have that kind of money to blow. So I just searched CL every day in hopes of a nice bike appearing. And last Monday there was a CL ad for this bike listed in my city so I emailed the folks. Well it wasn’t in my city. In fact it was 4 hrs away. They listed it in Memphis because it wasn’t selling where they lived. After getting pics and vids of the bike I decided I wanted to take a look at it. They said they would meet me halfway so I agreed. So yesterday I test rode the bike and then bought it. I rode it 2 hours back home down the interstate in the rain. Not the most fun but I made it home safely. Got it registered and insured this morning and rode it before and after my classes.

The bike is in pretty good shape cosmetically and great condition mechanically. The previous owner had a low speed crash that shattered his ankle but barely scratched the bike. (Get boots folks!) He had saddle bags on the bike which messed up the rear number plates. It had 1299 miles on it when I bought it, so he just broke it in for me. The suspension rocks! This thing soaks up all the roads imperfections (and there are a lot of them around here). And it’s so much fun riding off curbs. Haha. And then there are the brakes. This thing can stop like no other. I swear it can stop in half the distance of the ninjette. (Probably not really but it sure feels like it.) The single cylinder is pretty torquey for what it is. Makes getting through traffic much easier than the ninjette. With the ninja you have to be above 9k to get moving but that is about where the KLX stops making power. It’s just a different beast. Oh and digital dash! I don’t get how this thing wasn’t a big seller but the ninjette was/is. I guess folks just want to say they have a sport bike. Idk.

Don’t worry though, I am keeping my pregen!! I am hoping to take it to a track next summer. As for the KLX. I plan on getting rid of that retarded rear fender, and get some hand guards since it will be getting chilly soon. My hands need some wind protection. Eventually I may get the 351cc BB kit. But that is far away. I am gonna ride the bike the way it is for a while. I have lots to learn and this bike gives you so much confidence. It’s like riding a 300pound mtn bike.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Very nice, gratz man.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
3 things:

1) jelly as f*ck. Seriously man, congrats on the ride!
2) 300lb mountain bike?? Sign me up
3) Pirelli Diablo Rosso II or Bridgestone BT003 tires You'll thank me later.

4th, I want a SM, but not until I have a funner first bike. I would use a SM for commuting/hooliganism, sport bike for fast stuff. Idk. So many bikes I want, but I think a SM wouldn't be a great bike for me as my only bike.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
3 things:

1) jelly as f*ck. Seriously man, congrats on the ride!
2) 300lb mountain bike?? Sign me up
3) Pirelli Diablo Rosso II or Bridgestone BT003 tires You'll thank me later.

4th, I want a SM, but not until I have a funner first bike. I would use a SM for commuting/hooliganism, sport bike for fast stuff. Idk. So many bikes I want, but I think a SM wouldn't be a great bike for me as my only bike.

1) Haha thanks!!
2) Yes, 300 pound mtn bike and you don't even have to peddle. It even has tubes in the tires. lol
3) Yup, it's definitely in the plans. Just gotta wear out these IRC Roadwinners.

4th) I know what your saying. I still need a sport bike which is why I am keeping the ninjette. Or at least I think I still need one. I will know for sure in a few months if I could live with just a SM.

And they are even more fun than you can imagine. I think I am gonna get arrested on this thing. Haha.

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Dude, I'm a danger to myself on an MTB/BMX bike... I've been in the ER for bicycling injuries, but never had a scratch from the ninjette. (my mom always jokes about making sure I wear a helmet when I ride a bicycle, but not worrying about when I ride the ninja) Combining those two things might be a terrible idea for me I can ride the back wheel forever, and I always hop curbs/take shortcuts/jump in and out of traffic/draft off cars/generally do dumb stuff on a bicycle.

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Jono

Yeah I try to keep my dumbness contained to my mtn bike as well. But it's going to be a lot harder now. I'll try my best to be a hooligan safely.

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

sex. congrats bro. Ill be jelly when I get rid of mine...

until I get a KTM 690 SMC someday lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #8
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

sex. congrats bro. Ill be jelly when I get rid of mine...

until I get a KTM 690 SMC someday lol

Old September 18th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #9
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

The KLX-SF is a great value in the category. 'course, with my XT, I never have to worry about running it so hard that I boil the coolant. 10W40 + O2 > 50/50

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
The KLX-SF is a great value in the category. 'course, with my XT, I never have to worry about running it so hard that I boil the coolant. 10W40 + O2 > 50/50

Lolz. Well good thing it has two radiators!

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

jealous. I would love one of these, but I still have that desire for top end power, so I'd have to have it as a second bike, just like you're doing.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Jono

Yup. Just drove the ninja today for the first time since owning the KLX. Definitely still love it. Haha. Just wish it had the KLX's brakes. They are so different!

Old September 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Those are bigger brakes than are on the newgen right?

If you want awesome brakes on your pregen, swap to SS lines and Vesrah sintered pads. Track brakes for the street. They work even better once they're heated up fully. Maybe more $$ than you're looking to spend, but hey, you can't compare a stock brake system designed in 1988 to have the same feeling/power as a system on a brand new bike

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

its not that. I had an 09 and my 06 DRZ had way stronger brakes. They are different

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Awesome! Enjoy.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #16
Jono

Quote:
Those are bigger brakes than are on the newgen right?

If you want awesome brakes on your pregen, swap to SS lines and Vesrah sintered pads. Track brakes for the street. They work even better once they're heated up fully. Maybe more $$ than you're looking to spend, but hey, you can't compare a stock brake system designed in 1988 to have the same feeling/power as a system on a brand new bike

Yup! 300mm petal disk and the newgen is 290mm. And the pregen is 260mm.

I was thinking about getting SS brake-lines on the ninjette but am undecided. I think I should try the stiffer front springs first. Maybe it's the diving that makes it feel terrible.

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah it feels better when you fix that a little. I went with ex500 springs and a little thicker fork oil. It feels pretty good for my weight.

Old September 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #18
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Excuse me a second while i write you a deed to ALL OF MY JELLYSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

I love that thing, it is just sex on wheels!!!! "grats on the new ride and always try your best to be safe.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #19
MotoXGirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Mel

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Sweet bike! I want one of those, but with the off road tires.
MotoXGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
Excuse me a second while i write you a deed to ALL OF MY JELLYSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

I love that thing, it is just sex on wheels!!!! "grats on the new ride and always try your best to be safe.
Haha thanks! And I agree completely! I love the look of this little SM. I really wanted a Yamaha WR250X but they are hard to find used around here. And when you do they are super expensive. Even this Kawi was difficult to find. Much more affordable than a WR though. And for the 800 dollar or so difference I could get the 351cc kit for this bike.. Which I hopefully decide to do in the future. But that won't happen for at least another year. (I think). Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXGirl View Post
Yeah I wasn't picky when searching used. I was open to dual sports as well but I knew that if I got a dual sport I would want to make it a SM. So this bike was just perfect for me.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:09 AM   #21
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXGirl View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLX250S

Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:37 AM   #22
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Just needs the better 250cc engine from Kawasaki.

And I was right, my toy does have more suspension travel.

I win.

:P

That does look like massive fun. I was toying with the idea of a MX bike with street tires, but the only way I'd do it is if whatever I was riding had a CR500/KX500 engine.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM   #23
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

nice ride... been debating getting a DS or DB since so many dirt tracks near me, this may fit the bill.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post

I win.

That does look like massive fun. I was toying with the idea of a MX bike with street tires, but the only way I'd do it is if whatever I was riding had a CR500/KX500 engine.

Haha. Yeah a real dirt bike engine would be cool, but I'd rather have this reliable 250 for the street.

And it has plenty of suspension travel for me, well so far. I haven't taken it off any large jumps yet. Mainly just curbs.

And it is massive fun! That's way its called a KLX250SF. SF stands for Super Fun! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
nice ride... been debating getting a DS or DB since so many dirt tracks near me, this may fit the bill.
DO it! At least to have as a second bike. They are cheap to insure and own.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post

I win.

dude that 06 KX i picked up is pretty beastly for a 4 stroke. I am scared of what the 2 stroke would have been. the YZF is cool too with the after market pipe and all but the KX still rips harder.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #26
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congrats on the new bike. How does it do out on the highway? What is the top speed?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM   #27
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Congrats on the new bike. How does it do out on the highway? What is the top speed?
Thanks. Well It did okay on the highway. Pretty comparable to the ninjette but with more vibration. After all it is a thumper. I rode it 100 miles on the interstate when I first got it. It can easily handle those speeds but passing takes more work than on the ninjette. The KLX is definitely more fun just riding around in the city. Like speeds below 60. And it got 70mpg on my first tank of gas. I haven't done a top speed run (yet). I guess I'll do that sometime. I doubt it will get over 90mph though.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #28
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow, 70 miles per gallon is great and 90 mph is fast enough.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #29
Jono

It's funny how things turn out!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...5&postcount=20
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=27

Old September 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Don't ever stop being smitten Jono

Old September 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #31
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
yeah or you will end up like me...

Old September 24th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
God knows we can only handle one Justin at a time!! Don't be like Justin!

Old September 24th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #33
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

already spending money I dont have on new parts and gear. I just shuffle money around losing all the money I earn in between trades...

Old September 24th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #34
Jono

Quote:
Haha. I won't!

And don't you worry, I won't be like Justin. He makes very strange decisions.

Old September 25th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14

no worries Justin, we ya.

#nohomo

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #36
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I have ADD.

That includes every aspect of my life... lol

Old March 12th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #37
Jono

Here's An Update!

I feel like making an update for this bike because I did something awesome on it last weekend! More on that in a sec.

My KLX has been very good to me over the past couple of years. Zero issues with it. One valve clearance check and shimming. A number of oil and filter changes. And it has just over 15,200 miles (13,900 which are mine) on it as of today!

I started riding motorcycles in July 2011 and just last weekend I finally dragged knee on a motorcycle. Mainly because I was determined to do so and I finally bought nice leather pants. So why not? Oh, and I found a perfect "race track" to "safely" try it. Only almost died once (2:13min mark) when the rear slid out on me sending me straight for a light pole. It was some of the most fun I've had on this bike so far. Thinking about taking it to Little Tally for a track day at some point in 2016. I wish there were more supermoto tracks in the US but there is nothing near me.

Video proof!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 14th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #38
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
that's awesome. please teach me, I have not gotten anywhere near that low on this bike! although I did just install dirt tires.... I'm glad you're enjoying it, mine has 5k miles also with no issues and I hope it gets to 15k as smoothly as yours. looking great
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2016, 11:54 AM   #39
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
that's awesome. please teach me, I have not gotten anywhere near that low on this bike! although I did just install dirt tires.... I'm glad you're enjoying it, mine has 5k miles also with no issues and I hope it gets to 15k as smoothly as yours. looking great
Bring your bike down to Memphis and I'll teach you the ways. Then we can race around the parking lot. Haha. When those dirt tires wear out get some Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's or equivalent. They are super grippy.

Old April 19th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #40
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Maybe not the best place for me to ask, but I noticed that the Euro and Asia spec KLX250SF apparently comes with EFI. Has anyone reading attempted or read about doing that conversion for US bikes? My google-fu is apparently weak; all I found were more questions and generic/DIY solutions.