ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Found an orphaned baby raccoon. :( Meet Amika.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Early yesterday afternoon I found this poor little thing in someone's front yard, a few yards from a deep rotted tree stump/hole where, no doubt, it was nesting before its mother disappeared. This yard is actually around the town square, so traffic is very busy and wildlife like this usually stays far away. The reason there are residential homes in such a busy area is that they are historical, spared during Sherman's March due to this being a hospital city. Anyway, the yard slopes down toward the sidewalk where there is a 1-foot drop, but the baby didn't fall because it got stuck against the wire post from some realtor sign pushed into the lawn. That's where I found a barely-alive but noticeably-breathing ball of fur. Its eyes were opened but it seemed blind at first because it could barely move its head (couldn't follow movement). I used a flashlight and there did not seem to be anything else in the stump. Because raccoons are nocturnal, I could only assume the worst: The weak raccoon left the nest in desperation because the mother had not returned after meeting some grisly end in the busy streets.

I called Animal Control and they told me I had to call a state raccoon-certified handler, which sounded more like a license to manage them for pest control purposes. I wanted to find a wildlife rescue organization instead. I searched online and found Atlanta Wildlife Animal Rescue Effort (AWARE) and went down the contact list, but it appears that rescue orgs need raccoon certs as well and everyone remotely near me either had no raccoon cert or did not answer.

Even though I was filling in for a grave shift and needed to sleep, I could not abandon it, so I took it home and read that I needed to hydrate with electrolytes and feed it Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR). Evening was fast approaching and I still had not slept for my shift nor heard back from any of the rescue orgs, so I began planning to nurse it through the night at work. My mother attempted to hydrate it with electrolytes while I put off my sleep to find KMR and a pet feeding bottle at a pet store. We could not tell if it was getting any down the throat but it did begin chattering, grasping, and crawling, which was a good sign. I still had about two hours to sleep and had taken two OTC sleep aids a couple hours earlier, so I showered and jumped in bed only to find that I missed some wildlife rescue call-backs while in the shower.

I spent those two hours driving through Atlanta with only enough time to go straight to work with no sleep, but extremely relieved for the poor thing.

It's not a pet, but my brother suggested calling it "Nook" (see if you get this reference). I suggested "Tanuki," the "Japanese raccoon dog" that inspired "Tanooki" Mario in Super Mario Bros. 3, but quickly changed it to Amika, which is "Akima" spelled backwards. I'll be calling and checking on Amika's progress.

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 8th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Good job!Great name!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Baby Rabies!!!

better name
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

What a cutie!!!

Does somebody need a hug?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

How cute!

A year or two ago my boyfriend's dog found a baby rabbit and we took it in to nurse it back to health. We fed it the same thing I think. It was lots of fun to play with and hold, but then one day it turned on us and would no longer let anyone touch it. Apparently it's wild side couldn't be tamed, so we let it go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 507.JPG (203.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 508.JPG (134.0 KB, 1 views)

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

mmmmm.....In a coupla' months that'll be good eatin'

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

I had a pet raccoon growing up, bought it from a registered furbearer breeder, had to bottle feed it for a couple of weeks then switched it to puppy chow. They'll take to a kitty litter box the same as a cat does. Mine was pretty mellow but if it got food or something it wanted there was no taking it away from him. He loved PBJ's and marshmellows.I keep mine for 6 months or so then donated it to a local Wildlife Prairie Park. A fun pet but still a wild animal.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #9
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
I remember trying to catch some of those when I was young, the tomato bath after wasn't fun.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I tend to stay away from wildlife, best of luck to you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@CZroe: that raccoon is so sweet. I hope it survives. Have you figured out where you will release the lil raccoon? I'm honoured to have it named after me!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote