ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 06 Daytona 675, 09 Ninja 250

Fairings won't line up?!?!?!

Hey all,
A while ago I picked up a "project" bike for my wife. I had all the fairings off the bike while I worked on the carbs, jetting, SS lines, airbox removal, rearsets, frame sliders, undertail, etc... pretty much all the generic mods that you can do to the bike... Got the bike running again, took it out for a spin and thought that all was good internally/electronically, so I decided to put the fairing back on... the tail fits fine, the tank mounts fine, the upper fairing/headlights fit fine BUT when I try to mount the side fairings, they're off about 3/4". I can mount bolts from the tank and front fairing, but then when I try to mount the lower bolts to the frame, they don't align? Vice versa, if I mount the lower side fairing bolts, then mount the front upper fairings, the holes to mount to the tank don't line up? What the "F"?! What am I missing here?! Then I thought that this bike might have frame damage, but after visually inspecting, I don't see any glaring issues... For the time being, while my wife re-learns how to ride again, I'll just have the side fairings off just in case she slow-speed lowsides it... But after all the work and money I put into the bike, it's not lining up...

On a side note, while the fairings were off, I had them stand up against the wall in the garage... could that have "bowed" the fairings?

HEEEELLLPPP!!!!
SdSy675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

My fairings need a little bend to get 'perfect' but yours sound significantly off. I've had my lowers sitting up against a wall for weeks on end without any bowing, so I don't think that's it, unless you had something else sitting on them and they got real warm. The fairings don't tend to bend and stay bent; in my experience they usually prefer to crack than stay significantly distorted. YMMV though

There is one adjustable attachment point I can remember, the upper large bolt on the side, just below your knees, aft of the large slash/vent. The tab that bolt mates to is attached to the frame by a pair of 10mm bolts. If you loosen them, that may give you the adjustment range you need. I'd attach to the front and tank, then the lowest bolt, then work with that adjustment.

Here's the pic (click for a larger version):
DSC04939arrow.jpg
In the red circle are two (there's three bolts, but one is just for the coolant reservoir) attachment bolts for the bolt hole tab, which is at the end of the arrow.

Hope this helps

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Sounds like the previous owner might have laid it down and tweaked the fairing stay.

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Which bolt exactly won't line up. If it's the side fairing hole right above the engine oil cover the mounting hole can be adjusted.

Post up pics.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Which bolt exactly won't line up. If it's the side fairing hole right above the engine oil cover the mounting hole can be adjusted.

Post up pics.
+1

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

This might help;it's Kkim's fairing removal /reinstall DIY.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2011, 01:24 PM   #7
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at the mounting that you were talking about Momaru... As for pics... None as of yet... Unlike all my other bikes I've owned, I never took ANY pics of this bike... Guess I have no sentimental feelings toward this bike since it's for my wife... I'll take a couple tonight when I get home from work...

As for which don't line up... If my memory serves me right... Once I attempt to mount everything... The left side fairing - lower bolt down by the kickstand. Technically all '08-'11 fairings are interchangeable right? After taking this bike completely apart, I noticed that this bike has mix matched fairings... Although it's black, I saw hints of green on one fairing, red on the tank, blue on the rear, etc. THANK GOODNESS I GOT THIS BIKE FOR SO CHEAP that I can overlook that... Otherwise the fairings seem to be in good condition.

I have a feeling that I'll be selling it soon just like the other bike I bought for my wife. Had the bike up and running for the past 4 months and to this day she hasn't even sat on the bike! Just need to figure out why the fairing aren't fitting correctly and with so much effort.

If anyone's interested in the bike, I'd be willing to sell it for the right price. Otherwise, I'll keep it, set-up the suspension for my weight and make it a track toy.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll have pics up tonight.

Old August 31st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Momaru

Yep, definitely sound like someone messed it up and "repaired" it for resale. Definitely curious to see what color black it is.

You're correct the '08-'11 fairings are interchangeable. However there are aftermarket fairings that are frequently a close fit, but also often not quite right. If the previous owner went cheap for their replacement fairings (eBay) that may be your issue. I suspect pictures will help us diagnose. A close-up of those other-color sections would be cool too, from a personal interest standpoint about the history of your bike.

Old August 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Hey Glenn, let me know if you ever think of making it a track toy. I know sharkskins have those 2 for 1 race fairings sales every now and then (and they're in Poway so save on shipping). I'm also debating on making it a track toy.

Tell your wife she can't any more pho until she rides it
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #10
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Yep, definitely sound like someone messed it up and "repaired" it for resale. Definitely curious to see what color black it is.

You're correct the '08-'11 fairings are interchangeable. However there are aftermarket fairings that are frequently a close fit, but also often not quite right. If the previous owner went cheap for their replacement fairings (eBay) that may be your issue. I suspect pictures will help us diagnose. A close-up of those other-color sections would be cool too, from a personal interest standpoint about the history of your bike.
Didn't take pics last night... Didn't know that I had guests coming over so that killed my evening. Definitely will take pics tomorrow since I'm off and will once again try to remount the fairings... PLUS it gives me an excuse to take it out for a ride and "clear" out the carbs... Although I can't rail on it because of the stock suspension... it's WAY TOO undersprung for my fat butt!

Pics will be up some time tomorrow so any further advise would be greatly appreciated!

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM   #11
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Hey Glenn, let me know if you ever think of making it a track toy. I know sharkskins have those 2 for 1 race fairings sales every now and then (and they're in Poway so save on shipping). I'm also debating on making it a track toy.

Tell your wife she can't any more pho until she rides it
What's up Cuongism! Long time no talk! If you're serious, I'd consider picking up a set... I've already got MY bike setup for the track, just wussed out last weekend for Fontana cuz it was too hot! My friends are leaving tomorrow to Thunderhill but I've got the in-laws this weekend

With regard to my wife... I think I give up with the hope that she would get into the hobby... If she's not curious or want to ride, I can't force her. I just don't want the bike to sit in the garage like it is now collecting dust and having me just ride it around to keep the carbs from gumming up. I'd much rather sell it and pick myself up a new toy... but people seem to have so much fun on these bikes on the track, so I'm also considering to track it...

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM   #12
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdSy675 View Post
I'd much rather sell it and pick myself up a new toy...
Exactly what I did. I wish my wife would have gotten more involved.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM   #13
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:

So here are a couple pics I just took outside... Honest prognosis please... I can handle the truth...

Inside the holes you can see GREEN.

On the tabs you can see BLUE.

This one you can see RED.

Here's where you can see the mount tabs on the tank aren't aligning with the right-side fairing, but the fairing is mount to the front upper and lower contact points...

WHAT GIVES?!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM   #14
Momaru

You sir, have a bike that's been rebuilt and repainted.

That much is obvious just from the lack of a "Kawasaki" clear-coated onto the tank and lack of "Ninja" stickers on the sides. Not to mention the fact that's not a 2008 factory black color (I think it should have metallic flecks in it) and, of course, the different colors in un-sprayed or abraded areas.

The best guess I have is that the previous owner messed it up cosmetically in a bunch of ways and had it redone. the fact there's flush mount turn signals installed. Usually when one of our bikes is dropped on a side with the stock signals, they tend to punch through the fairing completely. On the bright side, he used HighTechSpeed Proton signals, which are nice, durable and not cheap (~$100 for the pair).

Re: the tank mount point mismatch, I'd try bending the fairings a bit. They can handle a good bit of gentle distortion. That right side looks like it should be a lot closer to the tank than it is; the gap on mine is about 1/4" between the straight edge of the fairing (in your last photo) and the tank "indented corner" surface that runs parallel.

Even on my stock fairings, those bolt holes don't line up perfectly, but it's like the two circles in the MasterCard logo; they partly overlap, I just have to 'encourage' them to line up completely. Just try pushing it around a little bit. The two bolt sockets on the tank should 'snap' into place in the fairing holes (and the dash mount hole that's under the front fairing hole) once properly aligned.

It's quite possible the PO laid it down on the right side and bent the tank fairing stays. That dents on the right side of the tank just above the knee seems to suggest this as well. I'd take a long hard look at the shape of the tank, compare both sides of the tank to one another, especially at the corners where it meets the fairings. Not sure if you've got OEM or aftermarket fairings, but the various colors strongly suggest he gathered parts from other bikes to respray.

I might also suggest taking it to a shop to be looked over for frame straightness, but I'm not sure *how* much of a concern that is.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #15
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Hey Momaru,
Thanks for the full write-up!

I knew it was a project bike from the get go... When I got it, it was bone stock. All the aftermarket parts were installed by me... (protons, undertail, pazzos, rearsets, etc. etc.)

You're definitely right about the lowside on the right side... the Yoshi that was on there was all rashed up, the brake lever was snapped, etc but yet the fairing wasn't rashed... I knew from the get go the guy was full of @#&# but since he was willing to dump it, I picked it up...

Not too concerned anymore... I'll tear it apart one more time to check the tabs and those adjustment mounts. Knowing my luck, the wife gets on the bike and dumps it and I really won't care about the way it looks then... I took it out for a spin after posting those pics and I must say, it's pretty peppy! It handles fine, just the misaligned fairings are just bugging me...

Thanks again for all your responses!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Momaru

Haha, yeah, I definitely tend towards long-winded. Just like to give people as much info as I can, so they can make an educated decision.

ok, so all the aftermarket stuff is you. Good choices at least

Sorry that write-up is a little scatterbrained in spots. I was doing a handful of other things and had the post erased on me twice while writing it. By the end, I just wanted it up.

If the bike runs well, ride it! No one but an attentive ninjetter will ever notice most of that cosmetic stuff. And if you'd like the decals (that I mentioned are missing above), at least two of our forum members can make ya stock-style (or at least close) vinyls for the fairings and tank. Kevinsgarage and CThunder-Blue can both get them to ya for very cheap (like under $10 for all the decals you'd need; OEM they're ~$15 each, those that you can order)

Personally, I'd try to get those tank fairing stays figured out just to keep 'em from rattling around any more than absolutely necessary. Things can get kinda 'buzzy' above 9k RPM if they're not fastened down. When putting the fairings back on, I usually attach the tank bolts first, then the pair of bolts that mate to the front fairing via well nuts, then the two large bolts, followed by the rivets at the very bottom that mate the lower two cowlings and finally the radiator cowling bolt and rivets.

Frankly, my money is on the fact he bent the tank and knocked it back out close to but not perfectly into shape, so any mating to the tank fairing stay on that side is gonna be a bit wonky. Might still work though. As an alternative, you could drill new holes in the fairing for those stays. Not optimal, but better'n having them flopping about.

Anyhow, welcome to the fold! Hope you both continue to enjoy the ninjette!

Old September 4th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Cuongism

SS lines on the rear too?? Also, it wasn't Sharkskinz, but Hotbodies that has the 2 for 1 sales. A full race fairing kit is $550 so $275 each. I'll let you know when the next sale comes up to see if you're interested.

How do you like your wheel chock btw? Did you ever get your 675 suspension done? Do the flux plates make a huge difference? Thanks!

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #18
SdSy675
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
SS lines on the rear too?? Also, it wasn't Sharkskinz, but Hotbodies that has the 2 for 1 sales. A full race fairing kit is $550 so $275 each. I'll let you know when the next sale comes up to see if you're interested.

How do you like your wheel chock btw? Did you ever get your 675 suspension done? Do the flux plates make a huge difference? Thanks!
Yup... Just bought the kit... I rarely use the rear brake but it was only $10 more for the rear line... So why not!

That wheel chock is the one on sale at Cycle Gear... Solid construction but poor design compared to my Baxley Sport Chock... Once wheel is in, it almost takes two people to get it back out of the chock. Nevertheless, I returned it the next day...

Suspension is done on the 675. I highly recommend John and the flux plates DID make it less harsh. The bike feels much more comfortable! Let's go for a ride!!!

Old September 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #19
Cuongism

Thanks for the info, I was gonna get that chock since I saw their ad on cycle gear. You used John from chula? He didn't respond to my email so I haven't gotten mine done yet. I think I just missed out on the group buy of the flux plates, but I'll double check.

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OEM fairings do snap over those tank mounting points but those look drilled too wide for that. They normally don't align until you make them but then they stay there even without bolts due to the shape fitting inside of the hole. I usually make sure the tabs all line up including those that interleave with the upper fairing and then I align and attach the bolts that mount it to the tank before any others. That's enough to hold the fairing while it dangles and I bolt/rivet everything else... before I realize that I didn't connect the blinker or something stupid.

Momaru: Did Tims250R do your rims too?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #21
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
OEM fairings do snap over those tank mounting points but those look drilled too wide for that. They normally don't align until you make them but then they stay there even without bolts due to the shape fitting inside of the hole. I usually make sure the tabs all line up including those that interleave with the upper fairing and then I align and attach the bolts that mount it to the tank before any others. That's enough to hold the fairing while it dangles and I bolt/rivet everything else... before I realize that I didn't connect the blinker or something stupid.

Momaru: Did Tims250R do your rims too?
You make a good point about the fairing holes, still not sure.

Be careful leaving everything hanging; I've had it pop off and fall to the pavement on me once, which left a bunch of small specks in the paint. I now loosely get the tank bolts threaded, to make sure it stays there while I check the alignment, etc if I'm gonna take my hands off the fairing for any reason.

Yeah, Tim did mine as well. I think you & I are the only two new blue 250s (stateside at least) with blue rims. Mine are a shade or two off, but I've got OEM fairings that have the same amount of difference between 'em. When I had the coated rims mounted two years ago, the dealer made me an offer on my bike at well over the price for a new one. But ya can't get CP blue off the showroom anymore, so I passed They are a BI7CH to keep clean though. I'm always getting chain lube on the rear.

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
...Yeah, Tim did mine as well. I think you & I are the only two new blue 250s (stateside at least) with blue rims. Mine are a shade or two off, but I've got OEM fairings that have the same amount of difference between 'em. When I had the coated rims mounted two years ago, the dealer made me an offer on my bike at well over the price for a new one. But ya can't get CP blue off the showroom anymore, so I passed They are a BI7CH to keep clean though. I'm always getting chain lube on the rear.
Boy, do I know that well! He has a set of blue just sitting around unsold and said that they would go well with CP Blue but weren't specifically made for it. He was right.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote