ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #121
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's been just about a week since my bike and I had a minor disagreement. Still in quite a bit of pain, especially in the morning, but it does seem to be getting better. Last took pain meds at 6 AM, and it's almost 3 PM and I'm still managing. Numbness in shoulder is still there, but it does seem as if it's improving, if only slightly. It's really hard to tell. Will follow up with my doc late in the week to confirm that he thinks things are moving in the right direction soon enough, or if it means more tests might be warranted (CT or MRI rather than x-ray on the back).

It looks like the bike is totalled. I provided a list of damaged accessories & damaged gear, so they will be covering those as well up to the policy limits. I had $3K coverage for accessories, but adding it up I realized I had about $6K of stuff on the bike, including installation labor. I'll increase that coverage on the next bike, as I'm going to be out $3K for what probably would have been minimal extra $ on the policy. I should have an offer price for the bike tomorrow, so then have to decide to accept it as is or challenge it. It's very hard to find comparables, as there aren't that many of the bikes around for sale this early; it's been generally available for less than a year and most people who have them aren't running around trying to sell them. The shop said they might be interested in buying it as a salvage / owner-retain bike if my insurance company gives me that option and the price is reasonable, so I'll see what they say. (With hypothetical numbers, insurance says the bike is worth $20K, and can cut me a check for that. But if they value the crashed bike as-is at $5K, then I could take a check for $15K + the bike; then sell it to the shop for that $5K).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #122
jpbear
ninjette.org member

Name: JP

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Alex, at some point would you also post details on the medical coverage and its financial impact? Does this come out of your regular medical insurance and you pay a deductible? or is there an injury part/expenses part on teh bike insurance?
jpbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #123
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I carry relatively traditional medical insurance coverage through work. Doing this on 1/1 means that I hit my deductible before sundown on the first day, so I guess there's that upside. ER is always pricey, but the financial impact will be primarily borne by my insurer.

Good reminder for folks to confirm their own coverage though, thx!

I have found out that my motorcycle insurance could be adversely affected by this, due to the circumstances of the accident as described to them. If I used the words "black ice", it's often a no fault crash. But since I used the words "hit gravel", it falls under operator error. Tidbit to remember for next time.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #124
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I carry relatively traditional medical insurance coverage through work. Doing this on 1/1 means that I hit my deductible before sundown on the first day, so I guess there's that upside. ER is always pricey, but the financial impact will be primarily borne by my insurer.

Good reminder for folks to confirm their own coverage though, thx!

I have found out that my motorcycle insurance could be adversely affected by this, due to the circumstances of the accident as described to them. If I used the words "black ice", it's often a no fault crash. But since I used the words "hit gravel", it falls under operator error. Tidbit to remember for next time.
good to know the legal ins and outs words used with insurers
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #125
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
It's been just about a week since my bike and I had a minor disagreement. Still in quite a bit of pain, especially in the morning, but it does seem to be getting better. Last took pain meds at 6 AM, and it's almost 3 PM and I'm still managing. Numbness in shoulder is still there, but it does seem as if it's improving, if only slightly. It's really hard to tell. Will follow up with my doc late in the week to confirm that he thinks things are moving in the right direction soon enough, or if it means more tests might be warranted (CT or MRI rather than x-ray on the back).

It looks like the bike is totalled. I provided a list of damaged accessories & damaged gear, so they will be covering those as well up to the policy limits. I had $3K coverage for accessories, but adding it up I realized I had about $6K of stuff on the bike, including installation labor. I'll increase that coverage on the next bike, as I'm going to be out $3K for what probably would have been minimal extra $ on the policy. I should have an offer price for the bike tomorrow, so then have to decide to accept it as is or challenge it. It's very hard to find comparables, as there aren't that many of the bikes around for sale this early; it's been generally available for less than a year and most people who have them aren't running around trying to sell them. The shop said they might be interested in buying it as a salvage / owner-retain bike if my insurance company gives me that option and the price is reasonable, so I'll see what they say. (With hypothetical numbers, insurance says the bike is worth $20K, and can cut me a check for that. But if they value the crashed bike as-is at $5K, then I could take a check for $15K + the bike; then sell it to the shop for that $5K).
my dad clipped an unpainted island on and unlit street during a huge rain storm in his new Mitsubishi Evo10. The front wheel got pushed up hard enough to buckle the roof of the car so the frame was bent =ing a total. Because the car had only been out for a month and there were zero used sales they had to give him local NorCal MSRP which was $1500 over what he paid for it through fleet sales in SoCal

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #126
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
@Alex someone slammed into our 12 year old Toyota Camry on the freeway and pretty much got the whole side of the car so it was a total. The INS only wanted to give us $1,800 for it, I told him to tell them now way we want full the full BB 0f $4200 because the car was cherry before. I told him since the car was still drivable and safe lets just keep driving it till they give us what we want. 7 months later the lady from the INS calls up and says "OK MR. Perez whats it going to take to get your file off my desk" we tell her $4,200. She responds "OK done you'll be receiving your check in 7-10 days. So if your not in a hurry you can play hard ball for awhile if they try and screw you.

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #127
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yes, there's always the advice of never taking the first offer. I don't have a whole lot of time to play with though, as I want the replacement in my garage in 2 - 3 weeks at the latest.

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #128
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Status 10 or so days in: Bike was a confirmed total, so working with insurance to cut me a check, quite happy with what we were finally able to settle at. Will likely use the $ not to replace the K1600GT with its twin, but instead a 2013 R1200RT like I had prior to the K. I'll miss the motor, but never was as comfortable or generally content with the new bike as I was with the RT. It will also be a more effective platform for the long-distance events coming up this year. I haven't picked it up already as there really isn't any space for it for the next week or two in the house due to long-planned renovations that we're having done this month, and our garage is packed full of the materials.

Me-wise, I'm feeling a bit better each day. For hitting the ground as hard and fast as I did, I was quite fortunate, and the gear did pretty much what it was supposed to do. My back is still very sore, but the doc is pretty confident that there isn't anything broken or otherwise in need of any surgical or other type of fix. It's just banged up, bruised, stiff, twisted, and generally going to be a pain for awhile. He thinks 4-6 weeks from now before everything's back to 100%, and even if it's on the long end, I'm OK with that prognosis.

Old January 12th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #129
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.......Me-wise, I'm feeling a bit better each day.
Things are improving.....
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #130
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

Name: Shell

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
@Alex someone slammed into our 12 year old Toyota Camry on the freeway and pretty much got the whole side of the car so it was a total. The INS only wanted to give us $1,800 for it, I told him to tell them now way we want full the full BB 0f $4200 because the car was cherry before. I told him since the car was still drivable and safe lets just keep driving it till they give us what we want. 7 months later the lady from the INS calls up and says "OK MR. Perez whats it going to take to get your file off my desk" we tell her $4,200. She responds "OK done you'll be receiving your check in 7-10 days. So if your not in a hurry you can play hard ball for awhile if they try and screw you.
INS adjusters can be so deceptive . They think the insured is strapped for cash so they lowball you when they think you're vulnerable.

Old January 13th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #131
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Status 10 or so days in: Bike was a confirmed total, so working with insurance to cut me a check, quite happy with what we were finally able to settle at. Will likely use the $ not to replace the K1600GT with its twin, but instead a 2013 R1200RT like I had prior to the K. I'll miss the motor, but never was as comfortable or generally content with the new bike as I was with the RT. It will also be a more effective platform for the long-distance events coming up this year. I haven't picked it up already as there really isn't any space for it for the next week or two in the house due to long-planned renovations that we're having done this month, and our garage is packed full of the materials.

Me-wise, I'm feeling a bit better each day. For hitting the ground as hard and fast as I did, I was quite fortunate, and the gear did pretty much what it was supposed to do. My back is still very sore, but the doc is pretty confident that there isn't anything broken or otherwise in need of any surgical or other type of fix. It's just banged up, bruised, stiff, twisted, and generally going to be a pain for awhile. He thinks 4-6 weeks from now before everything's back to 100%, and even if it's on the long end, I'm OK with that prognosis.
Physiotherapists are very good with that sort of stuff, I don't know what the deal is with america and insurance or what not, but I got one here for a few weeks when I did my back in and it helped a lot in the long run.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #132
lolibater
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R, 2011 Sprint GT

Glad to hear everything is going to turn out alright

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #133
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

How's your recovery going? Is it a bit early to ask if you're back in the saddle?
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #134
Alex
ninjette.org dude

A bit early. Progress, but slow. Still on painkillers too strong to ride safely with. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the R1200RT, but will as soon as I'm confident that my back will be ridable for long hours without painkillers in 2 - 3 months.

Insurance settlement went well, I'm very happy with what they finally offered for the bike/gear/accessories, and I may have it in hand as soon as next week.

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM   #135
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:45 PM   #136
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
@Alex, its time for the crash video
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:47 AM   #137
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
@Alex, its time for the crash video
+1
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM   #138
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Alex:

I read about your get-off in the IBA Forums group for the 2013 IBR so I decided to come here and read up on it a bit more. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident but it seems like you are putting a replacement strategy together for the IBR.

I look forward to finally meeting you in late June/early July in N. Pittsburg. It's going to be a tough, and hopefully fun, 11 days.

R,
Gregg
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:29 PM   #139
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Hope you're healing up well!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #140
lolibater

Glad to hear things are going well Alex

Old January 29th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #141
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
To Alex how long before your good for a group ride on the 300?

Cam is bugging me to put a ninjette ride together in response to culture shock suffered during last Fridays BARF monthly ride If your ever at a lost for why cagers hate motorcyclist, just do their monthly Friday night ride and it will all make sense.

I'm thinking during our next warm spell we put something together.

Old January 29th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #142
lolibater

I stay the hell away from that forum now. Too many irresponsible riders that are going to get themselves or others killed.

I'd be more than happy to ride with you lot here though

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #143
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
To Alex how long before your good for a group ride on the 300?
It's going to be awhile. Back is still not in great shape, feels about the same this week as it did last week. Pain meds are keeping up with it, but I was hoping to be tailing those off. Haven't replaced helmet or jacket yet. Have extra helmets I guess, and picking up a jacket won't take more than a day or so, so I guess those aren't in the critical path. If I still feel like like this a week or two from now, will go in for some more scans to make sure there isn't anything more that needs to be done. Some of my friends are pushing for acupuncture and/or chiropractors, but it's a little early for that I think.

Quote:
Cam is bugging me to put a ninjette ride together in response to culture shock suffered during last Fridays BARF monthly ride If your ever at a lost for why cagers hate motorcyclist, just do their monthly Friday night ride and it will all make sense.

I'm thinking during our next warm spell we put something together.
Don't make me the reason you all can't have a fun bay area ninjette ride! Call it the "No Crashing so we're not inviting Alex" ride.

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #144
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Don't make me the reason you all can't have a fun bay area ninjette ride! Call it the "No Crashing so we're not inviting Alex" ride.
So does that mean we can have a ride for only people who have crashed? . Haha. I'm glad you're at least in once piece man. Hope you're doing better.

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #145
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Crash ride, I'm down
AFM #676

Old February 11th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #146
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Crash ride, I'm down
That sentence has so many meanings.

Old February 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #147
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #148
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Glad you are (mostly) okay, Alex. Sad to learn of the accident, and look forward to hearing you are back on a bike and enjoying riding again soon.

I was recently injured in a yacht race, pulled sacroiliac joint out of place and was on my back on pain meds for a couple of weeks, so I can almost, sort of understand your pain, in a snooty, yachty, not even close to the same level of pain sort of way.

Seriously, all that other stuff sucks, but as long as the old noggin is chugging along, life can go on. Time to send Shoei a thank you note! Lack of head, foot, leg, hand (well thumb bent, but you know) testament to power of ATGATT. The soft tissue and joint pain you can't do much about, but awesome that you minimized your injuries and will completely recover due to your gear.

Looking forward to video, but my main takeaway from this is that one should never underestimate the power of a mountain road over a 5 year old's stomach.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #149
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
...my main takeaway from this is that one should never underestimate the power of a mountain road over a 5 year old's stomach.
This. We gotta toughen that little bugger up.

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #150
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Alex - sorry to hear about the crash, but glad you are ok.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote