ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:45 PM   #1
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

wishy-washy passing.... don't do it.

Nothing horrible happened, I just passed my neighbor in her Prius on the windy road up the hill (going into the opposite lane), and it was a somewhat questionable pass approaching a corner.

Now I feel like I that irresponsible idiot on the motorcycle that everyone hates--but I'm not... usually...

The problem was I was wishy-washy; I either should have been patient and waited a few more turns where there was a clear straight section, or I should have passed her more aggressively. Instead, I passed her in a section where you really have to go for it to clear the car before an upcoming hairpin. I wasn't sure it was my neighbor, but I'm trying to be considerate and not appear overly aggressive--which is a mistake when you actually only have a second or two to decide and go for it.

It was no problem, I got by her maybe 150 feet before the turn, but we were going 40 mph+, so it didn't leave much margin if an oncoming car came. I think I've become complacent because I commute up and down this road every day. Sort of a wake-up call. It wasn't that dangerous, but I can see how it could have been perceived as being crazy. I was on the 919 and actually holding back as far as downshifting and launching the bike...

Anyways, I feel bad. I don't want to tail-gate cars, but I don't think she even realized I was going to pass until I was beside her and we were just about to enter the curve. So I really need to get over being overly-polite. Use my turn signal and give the driver a warning that I'm going to go for it.

I will definitely apologize to her, but was so embarrassed when I got home ... I just wanted to hide under a rock...
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I make a fair amount of passes on a frequent basis but over the years I have disciplined myself pretty well that I am able to say "just be patient" It's either a good time to pass or not IMO, there is no in between and if you have any doubts or hesitation then it is not a good time so don't do it.

One thing that often gets over looked fairly often while making passes is the possibility of the vehicle in front of you to make a left turn with out signaling, They have no reason to check their side or rear view before making this turn so don't expect them to see you making a legal or illegal pass. The same goes for drivers turning into the other direction of traffic off of side roads. Look ahead understand the possibilities

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
It's either a good time to pass or not IMO, there is no in between and if you have any doubts or hesitation then it is not a good time so don't do it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #5
sh123469
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): EX250, Suzuki Savage, 76 Goldwing restoration project, 71 CB350, 73 Yamaha GT1,

I tend to ride very conservatively. I pass up a lot of opportunities to pass sometimes either because I know the road and what's coming, how traffic usually is on that road, can't get a real good view, etc.

I agree completely that it's either a good time to pass or not. I would much rather get there a couple minutes later than push it and have a problem.
If you have even so much as an inkling that you shouldn't do it, don't attempt the pass. Sometimes those feelings really are helpful especially as you're sitting behind the car you were going to pass and a big logging truck comes around the curve in your lane just where you would be about now.
sh123469 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 29th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #6
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

This is the difference between a 1000cc and 250cc machines.

a pass is performed in half a second. requires no planning. If you have an open space, twist and go.

File this under "could have done better, but learned something" we throw a good bit of caution to the wind, the moment we throw our leg over.

Last futzed with by Rifleman; June 29th, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

a pass is performed in half a second. requires no planning. If you have an open space, twist and go.

File this under "could have done better, but learned something" we throw a good be of caution to the wind, the moment we throw our leg over.
solution to this passing problem on 250: simply always be going double the speed limit.

Old June 29th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #8
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post

Here is the interesting thing. I had been riding underpowered bikes, the ninja 250 and then the cx500 (which was similar in performance) for 4+ years and then I got the Honda 919, (as in 919cc) which is ~100 HP but tuned for midrange torque. I am still timid on the bike (which I was riding during this incident), and I guess that is the root of the problem... but you do hit the opposite problem with powerful bikes: you often can't mindlessly twist the throttle without getting into trouble. Whether that be leaned over, as in getting your rear sliding out, or on straights, where two seconds of full throttle can rocket you so far ahead of where you were looking or thinking... not to mention having the front wheel come up. Point and shoot, just be careful pointing...
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote