Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

2-piece vs 1-piece suit

Here is my gear as follows:
alpinestar textile jacket
alpinestar textile gloves
arai helmet
jeans(I know need upgrading)
timberland leather boots ( Also really needed upgrade)

Basically I want to get completely new gear (except for helmet)
I was looking at race suits since I like the protection they offer. I ride only street right now but plan on finally getting myself to the track someday. I was looking at two piece vs one piece suits. I really dont think I would wear the jacket without the pants but people say two piece suits are more practicle. What is your take on this. I mainly ride for pleasure(backroads) and sometimes to work. I already know what gloves and boots I want but am torn on getting a one piece vs two piece suits. What is your guys take on it?

suit I am looking at - http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4392
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #2
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

All my suits have been one-piece but I only wear them on the track. No middle zipper means one less seam/zipper to break.

If I were to wear a race suit on the street I would definitely get a two-piece. When you stop for lunch/coffee etc. it would be nice to take the jacket off. A two-piece is fine for track days. When you become addicted to the track you can buy yourself a track only one-piece.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post

I really dont think I would wear the jacket without the pants but people say two piece suits are more practicle.
The real convenience is actually the other way around. 2 pieces allow you to take off your jacket whereever you arrive. It gets pretty hot at some areas here so it allows me to remove my jacket at breaks or when I arrive at my destination.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
dale-j
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 2001 ZZR250

I bought a two piece A'stars suit thinking I would wear the jacket only for short trips... did not work out as the jacket was way too short to work on its own without being zipped to the pants, but I did like the ability to take the jacket off as opposed to sitting at lunch with the top half of the suit hanging off or trying to tie it around my waist. Eventually the zipper joining the two gave out and the suit got sold and replaced with a jacket and reinforced cargo pants for street riding and a one piece for the 'sporty' rides. IMO this is probably the best solution if you can afford two sets of gear. BTW I wear knee guards (MTB ones) under the cargos for knee impact protection a lot of the time.

A two piece suit that positively joins leather to leather (not just to the lining) withi the zipper will meet tech for most tracks though.
dale-j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #5
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I have a two piece as I only get to the track once or twice a year, and I do wear my jacket without the pants on occasion
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #6
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I wear my two piece everywhere. I am gonna get some motoport pants for street riding so I can still use the jacket. The leather pants feel awesome when riding and I don't mind walking in them but god help you if you have to take a crap. The shin armor goes all the way around the knee so they don't exactly fold down on the pot lol. And good luck getting them off without taking off your boots. Obviously this hasn't happened to me, I'm just saying
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos Spicy Wiener

Motorcycle(s): Too many

Someone is selling a one piece A* suit on eBay that I would like to pick up. It seems like a decent deal, but I just don't know how useful it would be. I already have an A* perf leather jacket (which absolutely rules), Rev'It textile pants, and I just bought a Dainese mesh jacket for summer. I ride to work every day, unless the forecast calls for hail or some crap. I have not done a track day or advanced cornering clinic, but plan to sign up for one at the end of June.

I guess my question is how useful are 1 piece suits? Would I look like a tard riding in one if not on the track? I cannot imagine wearing it to commute to work, so it would probably be a track only or longer ride thing. Anyone ever use a suit (esp. one with a speed hump) for longer rides? What'd you think? Thanks in advance.
Boomstick1491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick1491 View Post
I guess my question is how useful are 1 piece suits? Would I look like a tard riding in one if not on the track? I cannot imagine wearing it to commute to work, so it would probably be a track only or longer ride thing. Anyone ever use a suit (esp. one with a speed hump) for longer rides? What'd you think? Thanks in advance.
How useful are they? They are the freaking best protective gear a motorcyclist can have! Would you appear as a poser wearing them on the street? I wear mine when I'm hitting the twisities and I have to traverse through city streets to reach them, I couldn't care less what anybody thinks! As to the speed hump, mine doesn't have one, but I've heard when fully tucked in, they serve as a form of head rest for a less turbulent ride, regardless, if you have a well suiting suit, you could rock it on longer rides, easy.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
For me;

1 piece for track day/race and weekend aggressive riding - only really useful at those times
2 piece for casual semi aggressive riding/slower canyon carving - very useful, I will wear the pants only and mesh + extra armor or jacket only and other pants. It allows me freedoms to customize for comfort and protection. Like for exploring new routes at a much slower pace

Other jackets and such for commute and trips to market.

On the other hand, why care what others think... wear what you want, when you want. It's your safety and time. And no, you don't look like a tard wearing a 1 piece for the street.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Good points. I have read reviews of these suits, where the owner has used it for "longer rides," so I wondered what that meant. I am thinking of doing a trip to DC to NY (about 400 miles - all highway), but thought this would not be the "longer ride" to which these folks refer. Big reason for the purchase would be to take the bike to the track or get into these advanced cornering clinics. And for those, a suit is an absolute must.

Old May 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #11
professor gascan
ninjette.org member

Name: adam

Motorcycle(s): '10 Red Ninja 250r

I wear my one piece every time I throw a leg over the bike. My take on one piece vs. two is-
-I only use my bike for joyriding, I don't use my bike to commute so I'm not worried about carrying extra clothes or having to change
-My one piece fits and feels much better(two piece has the connection zipper and the overlap from the jacket to pants that can be annoying in a crouch. I've been on the bike for 3 hours straight and I only notice it when I stop for a minute or two to stretch out and have a smoke)
-Safer, as mentioned before a lot of two piece suits connect via the lining of the jacket and not leather to leather
-I'm never tempted to compromise safety by wearing just the jacket
-Lastly, about looking funny or weird, I could give a crap about what other people think. It's your skin not there's!!! Your skin is the largest organ your body has, and I'm gonna do my damnedest to protect it.

Peace, Adam
professor gascan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor gascan View Post
I wear my one piece every time I throw a leg over the bike. My take on one piece vs. two is-
-I only use my bike for joyriding, I don't use my bike to commute so I'm not worried about carrying extra clothes or having to change
-My one piece fits and feels much better(two piece has the connection zipper and the overlap from the jacket to pants that can be annoying in a crouch. I've been on the bike for 3 hours straight and I only notice it when I stop for a minute or two to stretch out and have a smoke)
-Safer, as mentioned before a lot of two piece suits connect via the lining of the jacket and not leather to leather
-I'm never tempted to compromise safety by wearing just the jacket
-Lastly, about looking funny or weird, I could give a crap about what other people think. It's your skin not there's!!! Your skin is the largest organ your body has, and I'm gonna do my damnedest to protect it.

Peace, Adam
Thanks Adam, that's good feedback.

Regarding being conscious of how I look while riding, I was simply trying to avoid looking like a total squid (if that's the correct term) by wearing a suit made for the track while joyriding on weekends or taking a long trip on the bike. My concern being that I would look like a guy going sledding in a spandex GS ski suit. In other words, complete overkill and horribly unnecessary to the point of being comical.

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #13
professor gascan
ninjette.org member

Name: adam

Motorcycle(s): '10 Red Ninja 250r

Actually, a squid would be the exact opposite. An under dressed motorcyclist on a race replica, seemingly unconcerned with the consequences of their actions on themselves or those around them. And to the second part, I would think that most non riders and even those that do could hardly tell the difference between a 1 piece or 2 in the handful of seconds your paths cross.

Peace, Adam
professor gascan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

My Jacket from my 2 piece has belt loop attachments to keep it in place. If things go well I will be buying a 1 pice on Friday for the track.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

I have a line on a used suit for under $300 from another forum. I am in the final negotiations with this guy, so hopefully the deal is done and I can be the anti-squid (thanks for the correction Adam) soon.

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #16
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

There is no overkill for a one piece suit. Well, unless you're just buying groceries or something. If you're going for a ride, a one piece (or a two piece) is good. I have a one piece and I use it anytime I plan on going long distance on the highway or a very spirited ride, same with my boots. Otherwise, I have kevlar lined pants and a leather jacket for commuting/errands.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Boomstick1491
ninjette.org member

For commuting, I have been wearing my A* GP Plus Perf leather jacket and Rev'It mesh pants (Airwave I think), but I tried my new Dainese Shotgun today because I was wearing a suit and it's a bit looser than the A*. That thing flows a crapload of air and absolutely rules. I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice mesh jacket for summer. I also always wear my Sidi boots. At some later date, I think I would like a pair of the Sidi Doha boots for commuting, but I don't find my tall boots bothersome for the ride to work. If I can get this one piece, I think I would wear it for the longer rides and when I would like to push the limits a bit more.

Old July 5th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I'm dying to get a 1 piece suit. I could care less if people call me a power ranger or astronaut or whatever they want, I think they look cool. It's not like we are wearing uggs lol. Like everyone else said, its our skin, not theirs. As far as commuting, my commute takes anywhere from 40-60 minutes on less than perfect pavement. I'd not mind wearing a one piece and then change in the bathroom. To me, it's worth it!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #19
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

I prefer the brazilian cut tanga, but you only have to wear the bottom because tops are optional in Miami Beach.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i would wear a 2-piece on the street.

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #22
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I caved and just bought a 1piece!! Well..kind of two of them until I figure out which one is better haha. Can't wait til they arrive! Now I think I'll be comfortable exploring the highway..didn't want to ride on the highway in jeans

update: I got the two suits!! The first one is the Rev'it! Tarmac. It was a size 46 euro, and was comfortable but a bit too big. Baggy in the knee area and lower legs. Otherwise it's top quality, very lightweight! I like how it has elbow sliders kind of like the shoulder sliders. The second suit I got was the RS Taichi GP-X S207 in size 48 euro. It fit my tiny frame like a glove! It is great quality, perfect fit, and very cool (i was out riding in 95 degrees). The speed hump did a great job channeling air down my back and the vents on the shoulder sliders REALLY allowed tons of airflow. The only thing I noticed about fitment was that the knee armor kind of bothered my knees after a little bit, but I think they need to just break in a bit.

As far as riding goes..it was soooooooo much easier to grip the tank and consequently it was also much easier to flick the bike around and keep it stable. I felt like I was stuck to the seat/tank as opposed to riding in jeans slipping all over the place. I'm sold. Suits are worth every penny. Keeping the Taichi, Rev'it! is getting shipped back to the store.

Last futzed with by Miles_Prower; July 17th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote