ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #41
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
There's nothing immoral about owning and operating a vehicle.
Then you're not trying hard enough.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #42
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #43
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moises

Motorcycle(s): None yet

lol im not scared of riding but thats because i wont do anything that makes me feel uncomfortable. I know i wont be doing stupid things but unlike some of the people iv seen driving including my aunt. She lives off of her phone one time she was driving so stupid because of it i got it and threw it in the back of the car. I really didnt feel like dieng that day haha but i see where every one is coming from. Some people shouldnt ever get there license but some how they do and for the people iv seen driving that make me want to get off the car and back hand the **** out of them they better hope i never do cause one day i will.
xMoises831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #44
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Dirt bike. Learn to ride.
Learn to drive a car, and take MSF and all driving safety courses.
Learn the rules of the road.
Learn to ride a street bike off the roads.
Go ride a bike (preferably a smaller one).

Old August 30th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #45
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

a 16 year old I know rides a Ninja 400, hasn't even been on it a whole season yet and talks about wanting a 600...he's 120lbs wet, 5'5, slower than me on my 250, too scared to hit the track and really test himself, yet talks like he's a champ...

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #46
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
Miata's are a hoot.
Yes they are! Ever try boning in one? It's a challenge! Makes for some REALLY interesting positions. Leaves a mess all over the car though.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #47
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Dirt bike. Learn to ride.
Learn to drive a car, and take MSF and all driving safety courses.
Learn the rules of the road.
Learn to ride a street bike off the roads.
Go ride a bike (preferably a smaller one).
i dont live anywhere near were i can ride a dirt bike.
i know how to drive a car already.i was going to take the cmsp (msf of cali)on the 28 but i canceled.
by off roads you mean off of the main streets?becuase being new and riding on gravel wont end up well in the end.
someday i will

Old August 30th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #48
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
a 16 year old I know rides a Ninja 400, hasn't even been on it a whole season yet and talks about wanting a 600...he's 120lbs wet, 5'5, slower than me on my 250, too scared to hit the track and really test himself, yet talks like he's a champ...
sounds like he's a retard. Get to know everything on your bike and become proficient at it and then if you think your ready for a bigger bike go for it.
Talk is Talk Tell him to go on a track meet with you.

Old August 30th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #49
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMoises831 View Post
sounds like he's a retard. Get to know everything on your bike and become proficient at it and then if you think your ready for a bigger bike go for it.
Talk is Talk Tell him to go on a track meet with you.
He's not a retard. He's 16. He hasn't learned through experience what's important and what isn't. Eventually he will figure it out, one way or another.

The teen years are dangerous for two reasons:

1) You're confident, bursting with energy and hormones, believe you know everything and think that those older and more experienced are full of it.
2) You don't know everything and do not yet realize that fact.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #50
Sparkz63
ninjette.org member

Name: Colton

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Let me just tell you my story, and let you make of it what you wish.

1. I got my license when I was 18. I had been driving a car for 2 years with a permit.

2. About 6-8 months after getting my license (and putting back money), I found a sweet deal on a Kawi Ninjette. I promptly picked up my motorcycle permit and the bike, with the money I made working fast food.

3. Now I'm 19yo, and have only had 2 minor low speed accidents on my Ninjette.

Although I never rode dirt bikes or motorbikes before I bought my Ninjette, I did grow up on a farm with quads and trikes (and raced them, occasionally).

I'm all for a 16yo biker, if they wear their gear, ride responsibly and prove their responsibility by paying for the hobby.
Sparkz63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #51
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

1) You're confident, bursting with energy and hormones, believe you know everything and think that those older and more experienced are full of it.
^^ This. Very true. I would agree with this, because it applies to everything, not just driving. With proper guidance, teenage years can be a great time for learning and finding yourself and becoming an adult, without being stuck in a straight jacket waiting to grow older in the name of maturity before being allowed to experience the world a little.

Old August 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #52
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Actually, righting on dirt will end great.

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #53
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
I fail to see how riding a motorcycle is a morality issue. There's nothing immoral about owning and operating a vehicle.
Apparently you missed everything I said, or have no comprehension skills. I stated that the freedom it brings, allows them to go and do whatever they want and more often than not, get into trouble for numerous/various things. It's even worse since parents these days are pretty terrible and don't know the first thing about punishing kids or keeping them "in line."
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #54
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Most average humans have good morals but poor self control. Moral/immoral are pretty strong words and didn't represent your intended message.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #55
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
False. Not all teens have a hard time controlling vehicles. That's a large generalization and I'm not sure why you think that.
It's not false. There has NEVER in the history of automobiles ever been a teenager that could jump in a vehicle and just "know" how to drive. Driving is a learned skill not a genetic trait. Some may learn easier or before others, however, ALL of them have to learn. There is a reason for higher insurance rates for younger drivers.

Quote:
Again with the generalizations. When's the last time either of you were a teenager? You talk about kids like they're the worst. We all were teenagers once. It's a period of your life!
Precisely...we were all teenagers at one time, and we remember what we were like back then. And all the stuff we THOUGHT we knew was BS compared to what we know now.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #56
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
I stated that the freedom it brings, allows them to go and do whatever they want and more often than not, get into trouble for numerous/various things. It's even worse since parents these days are pretty terrible and don't know the first thing about punishing kids or keeping them "in line."
Middle-school and high-school students will always find a way to get into trouble, even if their parents don't allow them to do anything other than sit at home and do homework (grounding them). They will get into trouble even without freedom. You have no faith in high-school age students if you think that the majority of them have no intentions other than to get in trouble. From my experience, most high-schoolers have good intentions and really aren't bad people, they just mess up and need a second chance. There are always going to be a few with bad intentions, and that is a case of a few ruining the image of the group.

The freedom that comes with a motorcycle is no different than the freedom that comes with a car or bicycle. I was on a bicycle and going wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted in middle school; but I always checked in with my parents and they knew where I was, what I was doing, and who I was with. It's no different with a car or a motorcycle. They let me roam and have freedom, but they did it in a way that was safe and still supervised. Should teenagers still be allowed to drive, even though it allows them freedom? Yes! Should teenagers be allowed on bicycles even though it allows them freedom? Yes! Should they be allowed on a motorcycle? Yes! I'm not saying all teens can handle a motorcycle, but there's no reason they should be restricted from them.

As for parenting styles:

Once kids get to high school, the role of mom and dad becomes that of coach, rather than attempting to control every aspect of the lives of their teenage child. No matter what parenting style you believe in, you have to admit that once you get to your teenage years, you're pretty much going to do what you want, no matter what your parents say or do to stop you. As such, parents need to step back a little and allow their kids to grow as people and become adults.

If teenagers are suffocated, we rebel. If we're given much freedom, we either sink or swim. We learn from sinking; we're headstrong teenagers and nothing teaches better than a little humility from failing. The trick is letting us sink just far enough to fail without doing any permanent damage. This applies to motorcycles as well, get kids on bikes when they have supervision and guidance. If they sink, they won't be able to sink as far as if they were on their own. If they swim, congratulations!

I've gotten more than my share of being kept "in line" from my parents. I love them dearly and they're great to turn to when I need advice or help. I appreciate everything they've done for me, especially now that I am older and realize the vast amount that they have done. But when I mess up, trust me, I'm the first to know about it. Parenting teenagers =/= suffocating them and telling them that they can't do something. Might as well let them learn and grow when you can keep an eye on them and still have some input on their decisions. Parenting teenagers = guiding them into adulthood while they're still under your roof.

for reference, I think Regina Brett has some good points on stuff like this:
http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/...d_kids_fl.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Apparently you missed everything I said, or have no comprehension skills.
Let's stick with discussion the topic at hand, not the people discussing it.

As a media, text has difficulty conveying implications, especially during discussions. Even after re-reading your post, I believe you're talking about parenting style and self control, not morals.

I may have missed the implications which you thought, but if that is the case, then your writing does not properly convey what you were thinking. Do not cite my comprehension skills as the reason for me not reading what you thought.

Old August 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #57
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
He's not a retard. He's 16. He hasn't learned through experience what's important and what isn't. Eventually he will figure it out, one way or another.

im 16 and no way i would be acting like that .. but you are correct he will learn just the hard way. good luck to him tho maybe he can do it and just doesn't want to push himself on the track.

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #58
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
It's not false. There has NEVER in the history of automobiles ever been a teenager that could jump in a vehicle and just "know" how to drive. Driving is a learned skill not a genetic trait. Some may learn easier or before others, however, ALL of them have to learn. There is a reason for higher insurance rates for younger drivers.
I never said people could just hop in a car an instantly know how to operate it. Of course there's a learning period. For goodness sake, there's a learning period on walking. You're taking this in a different direction than I was.

The reason I said that is because it was previously stated that teenagers are unable to control a vehicle. That statement is false. There is a period of time with your temps that you learn to control a vehicle, stay in your lane, come to a controlled stop etc. But after that, it comes down to dealing with traffic. Physically controlling the car that you're operating has nothing to do with age.

You see young people driving every day. That means that young drivers can physically control a vehicle. That's all.

You're right though, there is a learning period. And there is definitely reason for higher insurance rates. But a lot of that is dealing with traffic and dealing with maturity etc, not physically being able to operate a motor vehicle, which is why I said what I said.

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #59
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Middle-school and high-school students will always find a way to get into trouble, even if their parents don't allow them to do anything other than sit at home and do homework (grounding them). They will get into trouble even without freedom. You have no faith in high-school age students if you think that the majority of them have no intentions other than to get in trouble. From my experience, most high-schoolers have good intentions and really aren't bad people, they just mess up and need a second chance. There are always going to be a few with bad intentions, and that is a case of a few ruining the image of the group.

The freedom that comes with a motorcycle is no different than the freedom that comes with a car or bicycle. I was on a bicycle and going wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted in middle school; but I always checked in with my parents and they knew where I was, what I was doing, and who I was with. It's no different with a car or a motorcycle. They let me roam and have freedom, but they did it in a way that was safe and still supervised. Should teenagers still be allowed to drive, even though it allows them freedom? Yes! Should teenagers be allowed on bicycles even though it allows them freedom? Yes! Should they be allowed on a motorcycle? Yes! I'm not saying all teens can handle a motorcycle, but there's no reason they should be restricted from them.

As for parenting styles:

Once kids get to high school, the role of mom and dad becomes that of coach, rather than attempting to control every aspect of the lives of their teenage child. No matter what parenting style you believe in, you have to admit that once you get to your teenage years, you're pretty much going to do what you want, no matter what your parents say or do to stop you. As such, parents need to step back a little and allow their kids to grow as people and become adults.

If teenagers are suffocated, we rebel. If we're given much freedom, we either sink or swim. We learn from sinking; we're headstrong teenagers and nothing teaches better than a little humility from failing. The trick is letting us sink just far enough to fail without doing any permanent damage. This applies to motorcycles as well, get kids on bikes when they have supervision and guidance. If they sink, they won't be able to sink as far as if they were on their own. If they swim, congratulations!

I've gotten more than my share of being kept "in line" from my parents. I love them dearly and they're great to turn to when I need advice or help. I appreciate everything they've done for me, especially now that I am older and realize the vast amount that they have done. But when I mess up, trust me, I'm the first to know about it. Parenting teenagers =/= suffocating them and telling them that they can't do something. Might as well let them learn and grow when you can keep an eye on them and still have some input on their decisions. Parenting teenagers = guiding them into adulthood while they're still under your roof.

for reference, I think Regina Brett has some good points on stuff like this:
http://www.cleveland.com/brett/blog/...d_kids_fl.html

Let's stick with discussion the topic at hand, not the people discussing it.

As a media, text has difficulty conveying implications, especially during discussions. Even after re-reading your post, I believe you're talking about parenting style and self control, not morals.

I may have missed the implications which you thought, but if that is the case, then your writing does not properly convey what you were thinking. Do not cite my comprehension skills as the reason for me not reading what you thought.
Amen lol anyways yeah couldnt be said any better

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #60
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
My hat is off to post #56.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #61
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"where do you sit on 16yo?"

in private dude, that shits illegal in most places.

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #62
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Actually, righting on dirt will end great.
riding*

Old August 30th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #63
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
"where do you sit on 16yo?"

in private dude, that shits illegal in most places.
don't get caught

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:19 PM   #64
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

If you are a 16 year old (I just turned 17 and have like 4k miles under my belt so far) who wants an R6 or ANY supersport for that matter, you are most certainly NOT responsible enough and should definitely get a pit bike or something you can do the irresponsible things you were going to do on the 600, on a 50 cc... Fall at 25mph is better than 125...

If you want a supersport for your very first bike and you're that young, ( I know because I was in this position like 6 months ago) then you don't need a motorcycle.

Get a 250, you don't need any more power than that, and if you think you do we have a word for you
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 09:15 PM   #65
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMoises831 View Post
lol im not scared of riding but thats because i wont do anything that makes me feel uncomfortable. I know i wont be doing stupid things but unlike some of the people iv seen driving including my aunt. She lives off of her phone one time she was driving so stupid because of it i got it and threw it in the back of the car. I really didnt feel like dieng that day haha but i see where every one is coming from. Some people shouldnt ever get there license but some how they do and for the people iv seen driving that make me want to get off the car and back hand the **** out of them they better hope i never do cause one day i will.
In my opinion it sounds like you have your head screwed on straight. Just be sure to listen to your parents because they know you better than anyone on this forum.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote