ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Bblock
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1990 Fatboy, 1999 RM125, 1983 Shuttle

Question Won't run

Hi,

I think I know the answer to my problem but thought I'd throw it out there and see what happens.

The problem is the bike will barely hold idle with the choke on, even after it's warm. I'm thinking old varnished gas and messed up carbs that need taken off and cleaned. This is the first time I have started it in a year, not 'this year' but in over 12 months. I started it last year and drove it to my new house but even last year it was stubborn to start. Last time it was started before that was probably a year. Yea.... it has sat alot.

Right now I have the tank off and emptied it out. I've never messed with dual motorcycle carbs but have worked with lawn mower, chevy quad-ra-jets, the Suzuki Shuttle 2 cycle carb and others. They look a little intimidating but am curious enough to tear into them. So, before I tore into them I thought I would post this and ask if I'm heading down a dark hole of touchy carbs? Or should I take the bike to a shop? Or just take them off and clean them then post on here to ask how to tune them in?

Or what are the chances that I put the tank back on put in some clean gas and see if it will run?

I know...... Dumb question..... more like wishful thinking...
Bblock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblock View Post
Hi,

I think I know the answer to my problem but thought I'd throw it out there and see what happens.

The problem is the bike will barely hold idle with the choke on, even after it's warm. I'm thinking old varnished gas and messed up carbs that need taken off and cleaned. This is the first time I have started it in a year, not 'this year' but in over 12 months. I started it last year and drove it to my new house but even last year it was stubborn to start. Last time it was started before that was probably a year. Yea.... it has sat alot.

Right now I have the tank off and emptied it out. I've never messed with dual motorcycle carbs but have worked with lawn mower, chevy quad-ra-jets, the Suzuki Shuttle 2 cycle carb and others. They look a little intimidating but am curious enough to tear into them. So, before I tore into them I thought I would post this and ask if I'm heading down a dark hole of touchy carbs? Or should I take the bike to a shop? Or just take them off and clean them then post on here to ask how to tune them in?

Or what are the chances that I put the tank back on put in some clean gas and see if it will run?

I know...... Dumb question..... more like wishful thinking...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
You could try some fuel treatment like seafoam but its a long shot if it will clear it up and I'm sure it'll take nearly the whole tank if it works. Some wide open throttle on the freeway to force the cleaner through the carb. If that doesn't work then its a full removal and cleaning of the carbs.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Maybe?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Bblock
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I'll probably just take them out and clean them, I'm well underway and everybody that's anybody needs to know what their carbs look like inside!!

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblock View Post
Thanks guys. I'll probably just take them out and clean them, I'm well underway and everybody that's anybody needs to know what their carbs look like inside!!
Don't for get to do the battery box mod it helps a lot in putting them back in and taking them off.

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Bblock
ninjette.org member

Well I got them out. Now that I have them out I don't really want to break them to their basic parts. I'm thinking maybe I can get away with just taking the bowls off. I'm hoping that would give me enough access to clean out any openings that are plugged. I really don't like the idea of breaking them apart.

Fishdip - My battery tray is not part of the airbox Don't know if it's the year or what? The battery tray came out with just 4 screws.

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Bblock
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

Yup it was the dirty carbs. Cleaned them out with carb cleaner and various gauges of wires to clean out passages. Also changed the float needles and bowl gaskets since I had them out.

Thanks!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
sunspots
ninjette.org member

Name: Sunspots

Motorcycle(s): 08 Plasma Blue 250

Hey bblock how long did it take for you to clean the carbs?

It'll be my first time doing it soon and I'm kinda intimidated.
sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Bblock
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up

I started last Monday and had them back on the bike and running by Thursday night. I know that sounds like a long time but I only did a little each night. Monday night took off the fairings. Tuesday night took the carbs out. Wednesday night cleaned the carbs. Thursday went and got the bowl gaskets and float needles and that night put the bike back together and fired it up. If I were to do it on the weekend I would say it's a fun Saturday job. I didn't tear them all the way down so I didn't soak them in cleaner. I didn't want to mess with syncing them so I left them together and the vacuum hoses on the top end in place. Can't get that cleaner on rubber. I soaked what I could take off the carbs i.e. the 2 jets, the bowl and the main needle. I used a syringe to put the cleaner in the passages. Used a Qtip with cleaner to clean the seat for the float needle. Used the air compressor to blow out the passages.

I found it intimidating too, that's why I didn't take them apart. Even thou I didn't get to take them down to every little piece, like I usually do, I am VERY happy with how the bike is running and don't feel like it is needed to tear it down completely.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help, PM me if you do.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.