ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 26th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

I did the MSF ERC

This last weekend I did the MSF Experienced Rider Course. I've only been riding since August last year so I figured it would be a good refresher and maybe advance my skills. I'm honestly not sure it advanced my skills any - maybe served as a good reminder about some of the things I'd forgotten since I passed the BRC.

The instructor started the day by walking over and saying "Didn't you get the memo?". Looking around there was my green Ninja, and 9 cruisers. I have to say, I really can't get excited about cruisers, especially baggers. Anyway.....

The consisted of basically the same exercises as the BRC, but on my own bike. I think this is why I say that it didn't advance my skills - I wasn't necessarily taught anything new, though was reminded of stuff I'd forgotten, or didn't necessarily put into practice all that well (like gripping the tank with my knees). I did find the figure 8 harder on my own bike than theirs, but I think I progressed well, as I got waved straight back into line after many of the exercises, instead of having to stop and be coached.

There was some stuff I experienced for the first time. I've ridden on roads with tar snakes (Utah is full of them) but I've never really felt their effect. For some reason the tar snakes in this parking lot caused all sorts of little wobbles - kind of fun to be honest. Secondly, I managed to lock my rear wheel 3 times - never locked it before.

What I found interesting was that many of the other riders were kind of unskilled - though I'd assumed they had all been riding for years. There was a guy on an HD that regularly rode 2 up, and had ridden to Sturgis more than once, that was wobbling all over the place in the slow stuff - putting feet down, having to bail out in the figure 8 etc. There was also a guy in full on MC gear (leather chaps, leather waistcoat, patches, tassels, boots - the lot) that dumped his bike twice in quick succession, and just generally struggled to master any of the techniques being taught, like cornering outside of the cones, bailing in the figure 8 etc. And when asked what they should do if they locked their rear when braking more than half got the answer wrong.

Honestly, it was a pretty fun morning, and I'm glad I did it. I think it also makes my wife happy that I'm demonstrating a desire to keep improving my riding skills - so maybe this was as much for her as it was for me. I plan on doing the Advanced Rider Training later this year, though I'm yet to schedule it. Basically you ride around the go-cart track at Miller Motorsports and get coached on cornering technique, braking and so on. http://www.utahsba.com/schools/ART/
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffmonkey View Post
This last weekend I did the MSF Experienced Rider Course. I've only been riding since August last year so I figured it would be a good refresher and maybe advance my skills. I'm honestly not sure it advanced my skills any - maybe served as a good reminder about some of the things I'd forgotten since I passed the BRC.

The instructor started the day by walking over and saying "Didn't you get the memo?". Looking around there was my green Ninja, and 9 cruisers. I have to say, I really can't get excited about cruisers, especially baggers. Anyway.....

The consisted of basically the same exercises as the BRC, but on my own bike. I think this is why I say that it didn't advance my skills - I wasn't necessarily taught anything new, though was reminded of stuff I'd forgotten, or didn't necessarily put into practice all that well (like gripping the tank with my knees). I did find the figure 8 harder on my own bike than theirs, but I think I progressed well, as I got waved straight back into line after many of the exercises, instead of having to stop and be coached.

There was some stuff I experienced for the first time. I've ridden on roads with tar snakes (Utah is full of them) but I've never really felt their effect. For some reason the tar snakes in this parking lot caused all sorts of little wobbles - kind of fun to be honest. Secondly, I managed to lock my rear wheel 3 times - never locked it before.

What I found interesting was that many of the other riders were kind of unskilled - though I'd assumed they had all been riding for years. There was a guy on an HD that regularly rode 2 up, and had ridden to Sturgis more than once, that was wobbling all over the place in the slow stuff - putting feet down, having to bail out in the figure 8 etc. There was also a guy in full on MC gear (leather chaps, leather waistcoat, patches, tassels, boots - the lot) that dumped his bike twice in quick succession, and just generally struggled to master any of the techniques being taught, like cornering outside of the cones, bailing in the figure 8 etc. And when asked what they should do if they locked their rear when braking more than half got the answer wrong.

Honestly, it was a pretty fun morning, and I'm glad I did it. I think it also makes my wife happy that I'm demonstrating a desire to keep improving my riding skills - so maybe this was as much for her as it was for me. I plan on doing the Advanced Rider Training later this year, though I'm yet to schedule it. Basically you ride around the go-cart track at Miller Motorsports and get coached on cornering technique, braking and so on. http://www.utahsba.com/schools/ART/
If the ERC really is a BRC with your own bike, I might skip it then, since I did the BRC on my own bike XD

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Yeah, then I probably wouldn't bother doing it either. Obviously they skip all of the clutch control stuff and get right into the riding portions (slaloms, stopping, stopping in a curve, figure 8, one handed steering, swerving, big corners, little corners, s turns)

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

When I first started riding, I was certian I would take the ERC after 6 months.

Now that I've been riding for 6 months, I plan on skipping it and doing a trackday.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I take the BRC every spring. It is a good way to start the season and gets the winter cobwebs out.

I have 50 accident free and ticket free years under my belt.
That also applies to my cages--drove Mustangs and Corvettes most of the time.

Old July 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I take the BRC every spring. It is a good way to start the season and gets the winter cobwebs out.

I have 50 accident free and ticket free years under my belt.
That also applies to my cages--drove Mustangs and Corvettes most of the time.
I'm guessing they don't charge you $350 to take it where you are then?
Otherwise, I'd say its not such a bad idea. I just passed my BRC two weeks ago and unfortunately, I still don't have as much confidence in my riding abilities as I expected I would after it. I'd love to take it again on my own bike, but to pay $350 again..... no way
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
There was some stuff I experienced for the first time. I've ridden on roads with tar snakes (Utah is full of them) but I've never really felt their effect. For some reason the tar snakes in this parking lot caused all sorts of little wobbles - kind of fun to be honest.
Ugh, we have Tar Snakes all over the place here, try coming through an on-ramp and hitting those. It's a little nerve racking when you're leaned over accelerating to meet traffic on a highway and your back tire wobbles all over the place following those lines.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd12 View Post
I'm guessing they don't charge you $350 to take it where you are then?
Otherwise, I'd say its not such a bad idea. I just passed my BRC two weeks ago and unfortunately, I still don't have as much confidence in my riding abilities as I expected I would after it. I'd love to take it again on my own bike, but to pay $350 again..... no way
I'm guessing he meant ERC - there would be no point doing BRC again if you can already ride. The ERC cost me $70

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #9
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm guessing he meant ERC - there would be no point doing BRC again if you can already ride. The ERC cost me $70
Wow thats great. How much was your BRC? I can't get an ERC price online for my are to compare. My friend got licensed in Ohio and the MSF course is free if you are under 18.... can't beat that!

Old July 8th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #10
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd12 View Post
Wow thats great. How much was your BRC? I can't get an ERC price online for my are to compare. My friend got licensed in Ohio and the MSF course is free if you are under 18.... can't beat that!
I don't remember exactly but I think it was around $250 - the website says prices start at $200 and I believe there was an additional charge for using their bike, and $15 for the test waiver portion.

Old July 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #11
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't remember exactly but I think it was around $250 - the website says prices start at $200 and I believe there was an additional charge for using their bike, and $15 for the test waiver portion.
Oh alright, so not too much cheaper than mine. Gives me a little hope that maybe the ERC is also a decent price here too.

Old July 9th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Sailariel

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

My mistake. I take the ERC every Spring, and the price is $70.

Old March 31st, 2013, 02:15 PM   #13
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Just registered for the Advance Rider Course in May. It is free for me in PA so I figured why not!
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 02:22 PM   #14
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrya5 View Post
Just registered for the Advance Rider Course in May. It is free for me in PA so I figured why not!
Let me know how that goes. I just passed the BRC yesterday and personally I really got a lot out of it. I was confident enough to take my bike out into traffic for the first time after passing the course yesterday and I felt pretty good.

I might take the BRC2 which is just basically the BRC on your own bike and then after that I will try the ARC. It's so cool that they are all free in PA.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #15
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT505 View Post
Let me know how that goes. I just passed the BRC yesterday and personally I really got a lot out of it. I was confident enough to take my bike out into traffic for the first time after passing the course yesterday and I felt pretty good.

I might take the BRC2 which is just basically the BRC on your own bike and then after that I will try the ARC. It's so cool that they are all free in PA.

The BRC2 really didn't interest me, as you pointed out it is the BRC with your bike. I'm hoping to learn something new at the ARC, I will definitely let you know how it went.

Old March 31st, 2013, 02:32 PM   #16
conrya5
ninjette.org member

And congratulations on passing the BRC. I guess taking the BRC2 is a good idea considering that it is free in PA.

Old March 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM   #17
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrya5 View Post
The BRC2 really didn't interest me, as you pointed out it is the BRC with your bike. I'm hoping to learn something new at the ARC, I will definitely let you know how it went.
Yeah I might just practice the stuff I learned in the BRC on my own for a while and then try the ARC instead.

But yeah let me know what you thought of the ARC. It seems pretty good.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #18
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
BRC2 = ERC

I plan on taking ARC when I manage to find a class.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #19
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Hey guys I just completed the Advance Rider Course!

In the time leading up to the class I also purchased the book, Twist of the Wrist ll. The book really helped me pick up on body position techniques more than anything and really helped to improve my riding.

In my ARC only 6 out of 12 people showed up and I was the only one with a sport bike, everyone else had a cruiser. Roughly 4 hours of classroom time, lunch, then 4-6 hours on the bikes (depends on your group's abilities).

I learned quite a bit during the course and was able to practice important skills such as emergency braking, swerving, and cornering. After completing this class I am really interested in a track/racing class to fine tune and further improve my skills.

If you are able to take the ARC, I would definitely recommend it.

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #20
NealWright
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

I would suspect the flow of the class has a lot to the do with the class itself. The instructors seem MORE than knowledgable. If you have guys in the Advanced barely performing the basics, the instructor has to slow way down!

Possibly find out how to sign up with a group?

Second, I've found the Indiana BRC more than difficult to schedule. But listing the prices you guys paid, I better not complain. Indiana ABATE BRC is $50 + $25 membership fee. ARC is $50 again ... but requires AT LEAST 2yrs on your license.
NealWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

I just signed up for an ART (Advance Rider Training), which is run by the Utah SBA. It's out at Miller Motorsports track. Having said that, the format sounds pretty similar to the ARC in that it involves classroom time, and then a bunch of time doing maneuvers and then a bunch of time on the track learning body positioning and cornering.
I'm pretty excited for it (May 25th) though I need to get some more saddle time on my new ride, to get used to it beforehand.

Cost was $175 - definitely a lot more than 'free'

Old May 13th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #22
psykick5
ninjette.org member

Name: Nadir

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Since I just passed BRC I'm planning to get my bike and get situated with it and collect some gear so I can go out and do a class on the track (the ART that Chuffmonkey is taking). I feel like those extreme conditions can get you more prepared for crazy soccer moms and make sure you can make that bike do exactly what you want when you want it.
psykick5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #23
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

The local MSF course in my area allows you to take either the BRC or ERC on your own bike. They said the only difference is the ERC is faster, a bit competitive, and only a refresher.

I'm curious to try it on my new 636 because I'm not convinced it's physically possible to do the box drill on it... In a couple weeks I'll probably borrow a parking lot for a couple hours and give it a go.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nathan, it's more than capable but if your not sure... it will not happen. If you give it a go, good luck and have fun.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #25
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Nathan, it's more than capable but if your not sure... it will not happen. If you give it a go, good luck and have fun.
I dunnooooo the turning circle is fairly awful at low speeds haha. I've been adjusting the suspension a bit and it's getting better over time, but dat box is small.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #26
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I'm sorry I'm digging up an old thread. I took the BRC2 last weekend. Although it was fun, it wasn't worth the $125 for me (in my opinion). Just like the OP, I didn't feel like I advanced much. I took the BRC 10 years ago, and the BRC2 was almost identical to the BRC (minus power walking the bike, walking the bike with clutch control, etc). It was a good "reminder" of the skills that I should have. It was also a good refresher and allowed me to practice in a controlled environment under a knowledgeable and watchful rider coach.

Also, like the OP, the group I was in wasn't experienced. We had two dropped bikes. (Videos of the two bikes that met the pavement here).

For those who took the ARC (or to the Rider Coaches here), can you tell me what the riding exercises are? The ARC is $150 for me. If it's similar to the BRC2, I think I will skip it and try to find a newbie track day class instead. If you took the ARC, do you recommend it?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote