ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Was I out of line?

Went on a 3 hour tour Friday afternoon. Got off the interstate to get gas and take a leak. Gassed up with credit card / pay at pump, then went in to pee. It was a pretty busy place and was 3 hours from dark. Didn't feel like taking helmet off (and glasses and ear plugs). As I'm looking around in the place trying to ID where the head is, the Indian proprietor comes from behind the counter yelling at me (silent movie since I have plugs and bluetooth still running). He was irate that I had my helmet on.

Now to be fair, I can understand a gas station worried about being robbed at 11 at night.... but in broad daylight with 50 witnesses in the store by a guy that just used a credit car to pay for gas and parked and the license tag facing the store?

At my local gas station, they don't have pay at the pump and they'll turn the pump on for me, and I dart in to pay w/o taking off helmet.

So how many of you strip your helmet off to go in to pay or use the head?

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Get a modular, problem solved
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I always pay with credit card at the pump,.........leaving my bike out there doesn't feel right to me (only steering lock, cars and trucks rushing by, homeless asking for money, etc.).

I never keep my helmet on once I dismount my bike,.........but I don't know the reason.

I cannot tell if you were out of line, but seeing helmeted riders walking into an office building in the middle of days seems weird to me.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I leave my lid on all the time, gas station and other quick stops. Hell, I even did 15 mins of grocery shopping with it on one summer day. People need to learn to relax some. It's not like you have on a ski mask or something. It a helmet for pete's sake.....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

You're not in the wrong, he coud have simply said "Sir, can you please remove your helmet" you'd have said something along the lines of "sure, sorry" and everyone would have been happy, he was being an angry little bellend.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
People need to learn to relax some. It's not like you have on a ski mask or something. It a helmet for pete's sake.....
That and this thread make me think of this.

Link to original page on YouTube.

nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #7
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I always leave my lid on. I mean, who the hell wants to carry that thing around.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #8
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Name: rohan

Motorcycle(s): pulsar 135

though i agree with joshorilla,
did you catch that guy's name?
i mean how do you know if he was an indian and not a sri-lankan/pakistani/bangladeshi ? just wondering. Racial profiling?
ghost-was-here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Was his name "Tonto"? Did he call you "Ke-mo sah-bee"?

Did he mention "Pocahantas" was his daughter?

Was is carrying a hacket?

Was there a knife in his waste band?

Did he have mocassins on?

Was the gas station in the shape of a Tepee?

Besides the helmet, were you dressed like a cowboy?

If not, you should be good. Just another drunk injun (did I really say that), I mean Native American.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Before this goes any further, it's probably suffice to say his race isn't important or even a factor.

He got angry and overstepped the mark, the situation wasn't until he started mouthing off when a simple tap on the shoulder and asking you to remove your helmet would have done.

I know most everyone here would remove their helmet, I sometimes don't bother having a flip up. Most places will have a sign here such as banks saying "Please remove any motorcycle helmets before entering" and a little picture with a cross through a guy with a helmet on.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

I do not remove my helmet, only flip the visor and no one has ever asked me to remove my helmet. I have both paid for gas and asked for the key to take a leak.
maybe the guy was being paranoid because they had recently been robbed, who knows.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #12
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

I leave my helmet on all the time for quick runs.

Old March 17th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I leave it on. Then if i get hot (long hair) I take it off. I do get word looks though

He was probably having a bad day or something along the lines of what the members said above. Just let the guy finish, and go on your way.

Old March 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Virginia law prohibits having your face covered when going into a business, so a full face helmet would be illegal here. I never have problems with my Shoei modulars,
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #15
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Nawh he was out of line, but you can't assume his situation so he might have been having a bad day or was recently robbed (by a dude on a bike?) oooorrrrr he was just a jerk, who knows. I used to always take my helmet off to run in places, but now I don't see the point if I'm running into a gas station or a rest stop to relieve myself, it's just a pain and its bulky and now I'm paranoid about people stealing my stuff off my bike since I've been upgrading to nicer gear and nice luggage :P Nobody has ever had a problem with me wearing my helmet either.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I usually don't bother to remove the lid, I just make it clear that I've left a full hands worth of fingerprints on the plate glass door. Who's going to rob the place after doing that?

I've had a few people get whiney about it, one was a devout female Muslim in full headgear... it was about -6°C out & I was in full on cold weather gear. The pump was turned on but this one turns it off when she sees the bike, she tells me I have to prepay over the tannoy, so I walk in with my work ID around my neck (massive hospital across the road, hospital staff badge with name & photo on it) not good enough, she motions taking off a helmet, so off with the other glove, sunglasses, & take the loud off with cold hands... still not enough, balaclava has to come off too (again indicated by motions not in English) more pissing about with the balaclava which goes under 2 layers before she lets me use my card to pay, as I go to put my gear back on she says "no", so I tap my ear & motion taking a headscarf off...

The que behind me had seen most of it & almost pissed themselves laughing, she was not best pleased
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #17
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

With a simple gas up and pay at the pump I leave the lid on. If I have to go into the store I remove the helmet.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #18
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

1)Thanks for all the replies.

2)I was stereotyping when I said Indian... most around here are named Patel, but the Governor of our state is Nikki Haley, a Sikh. Although it may be wrong, I call anyone with the name Patel an Indian. Again, I hate to generalize and stereotype, but in my experience, the own the dirtiest gas stations, the smelliest hotels and they seem to have an affinity for arguing. It is not my intent to insult anyone who may be an Indian. I'm sure all Indians aren't that way, but that has been my experience. YMMV :-)

3)There was no sign on the door about head coverings. Many businesses around here have "no saggy pants" signs.

Another pet peeve is one of the local gas stations who doesn't have pay at the pump and won't turn the pump on... even after walking in and asking them to turn on the pump. It gets me because I never pump more than 2 gallons. In my car I can throw a 20 down and walk out because I know it'll hold $20... on the bike, I can't be sure it'll take $10 or not. Aggravating.

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Go to a different station!

Old March 17th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #20
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Sounds like you need to find friendlier gas stations. I guess pay at the pump is more common here I've only had to go inside when my card wouldn't read, but if the attendant told me to take my helmet off or no service I'd take no service and run to another stations. I'm a stickler for good customer service so if a business can't offer me that, I'm out. Hence why I do most of my own motorcycle work. Also because I'm poor :P. Not to mention constantly taking my helmet on and off makes my helmet hair progressively worse.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post

2)I was stereotyping when I said Indian... most around here are named Patel, but the Governor of our state is Nikki Haley, a Sikh. Although it may be wrong, I call anyone with the name Patel an Indian. Again, I hate to generalize and stereotype, but in my experience, the own the dirtiest gas stations, the smelliest hotels and they seem to have an affinity for arguing. It is not my intent to insult anyone who may be an Indian. I'm sure all Indians aren't that way, but that has been my experience. YMMV :-)
You've got to be kidding me with this racist bull****. GFY.

Maybe he thought you were <insert whatever ethnicity you are> and figure you were another dirty smelly thief. :-)

See if I put a smiley there it makes me look less ignorant and less of a racist.

Oh wait it doesn't...
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #22
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

wouldnt say you were out of line. just crazy owners being paranoid with a very small thought process.

i always keep my gear on, always when i go to the local store to fill up. i walk in, gear & all and they just call me boss and usually compliment wichever helmet im wearing that day haha. usually though, depending on the area...i'll take my helmet/balaclava off until i go there a few times and they know who i am then i just leave it all on.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #23
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Quote:

3)There was no sign on the door about head coverings. Many businesses around here have "no saggy pants" signs.

Another pet peeve is one of the local gas stations who doesn't have pay at the pump and won't turn the pump on... even after walking in and asking them to turn on the pump. It gets me because I never pump more than 2 gallons. In my car I can throw a 20 down and walk out because I know it'll hold $20... on the bike, I can't be sure it'll take $10 or not. Aggravating.
Let me put it again.
You were not wrong and he was way out of line.
But my comment was not meant to put you in an embarrasing / guilty situation.
Sorry.
I just wanted to know if this was what i thought it was . Racial profiling.

I do not post a lot on this site so may be, people still dont know that i am not a jerk.

AND you will not believe that my experiance with the indians have been the same as that of yours.
But yeah, not all of us are like that.

Old March 18th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #24
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Was his name "Tonto"? Did he call you "Ke-mo sah-bee"?

Did he mention "Pocahantas" was his daughter?

Was is carrying a hacket?

Was there a knife in his waste band?

Did he have mocassins on?

Was the gas station in the shape of a Tepee?

Besides the helmet, were you dressed like a cowboy?

If not, you should be good. Just another drunk injun (did I really say that), I mean Native American.
I dont get this ??
Are you trying to lighten him up or was it directed to me?

The language barrier is such that it makes it difficult for me to pickup a sarcasm or an insult or even a joke.

Old March 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #25
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

This time, you weren't out of line at all. The whole thing sounds like it escalated quicker than was necessary, but the points about "maybe he was recently robbed" are valid too. You/we just don't know.

Next time, if you go in with it on again, you will be out of line because you've already been through it at this station.

I agree with "find another gas station".

FWIW, I take my helmet off before walking away from the bike and use the helmet lock as God intended.

Old March 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #26
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

You weren't out of line and I wouldn't change anything about what you did. If it's not out of your way to stop going to this gas station then do that but I wouldn't change anything.

I also have never had to walk inside the gas station when filling up the bike so I do everything outside and pay at the pump. When I do get gas however I only flip my visor up and take my gloves off and pump the gas that way. I think I'd only take off my helmet if it was really hot and it was starting to bug me.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #27
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
I dont get this ??
Are you trying to lighten him up or was it directed to me?

The language barrier is such that it makes it difficult for me to pickup a sarcasm or an insult or even a joke.
Please, rohan, don't get offended.

CC Cowboy's style of posting is sarcastic whenever he is not posting real useful information, but his intention is far from offending anyone.

He was just asking if the station's clerk was a native american, since those persons are wrongly named Indians sometimes.

Ninjette.org is just pure fun and riders helping riders, nothing to do with obscure approaches.

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #28
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
You've got to be kidding me with this racist bull****. GFY.

Maybe he thought you were <insert whatever ethnicity you are> and figure you were another dirty smelly thief. :-)

See if I put a smiley there it makes me look less ignorant and less of a racist.

Oh wait it doesn't...
Patel is an Indian name, Murphy is an Irish name, it rmay be racial profiling, but it's also a it's a matter of fact.

as for the rest of the post I've worked & lived with Indians, some like to argue others are very laid back.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #29
Panda
not an actual panda

Racial profiling is fact?! Seriously..... Please tell me one of my favorite boards is not peopled with bigots and racists. You cannot be defending the OP.

Let's put this in a different light...

"Again, I hate to generalize and stereotype, but in my experience, blacks the own the dirtiest gas stations, the smelliest hotels and they seem to have an affinity for arguing. It is not my intent to insult anyone who may be an black. I'm sure all blacks aren't that way, but that has been my experience.
"

Despite the OPs protestations otherwise he clearly relishes generalizing, stereotyping, and judging people based on their ethnicity. It's not his intent to insult anyone who is Indian...after he just insulted them...

:exasperated facepalm:

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Being racist is a-ok. I'm pretty sure everyone I work with is racist
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #31
lgk

Quote:
SNIP...
Dude, Just stop and let it go ...
you're only perpetuating it now...

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #32
Panda
not an actual panda

@Jiggles - Unsurprising as you don't seem to be aware that the term "jap" is a pejorative.
@lgk - Perpetuating what?

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #33
lgk

Quote:
@Jiggles - Unsurprising as you don't seem to be aware that the term "jap" is a pejorative.
@lgk - Perpetuating what?
You are perpetuating a racial thread hijack....
just let it die...

IMO, it adds no value to this discussion of whether or not its in good form to take off your helmet when entering a store.

if you want to start a separate thread about discrimination then thats OK.

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #34
Panda
not an actual panda

Fair enough point. I take my helmet off b/c I can't hear anything with my earplugs in and helmet on when I'm at a store.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #35
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Kinda shocked by the other responses. It seems a lot of people here go into gas stations all the time with their helmets on. When I go to gas up, I leave it on because I pay at the pump. Pull up, fill up, and go without getting off. However, if I ever go inside, I always take my helmet off. Time of day really doesn't make a difference when it comes to being robbed.

Never tried going in with the helmet on but I fully expect I'd be asked to remove it.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #36
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I only go to gas stations where I can pay at the pump directly with my credit card
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #37
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
the ... proprietor comes from behind the counter yelling at me (silent movie since I have plugs and bluetooth still running). He was irate that I had my helmet on.
I caught this in the OP. Could he have been trying to say something to you as you walked in, but since you couldn't hear him, he got angry? He may have said something along the lines of "No helmets allowed in the store." but then perceived your non-response as you ignoring him?

Could be other reasons than a prior robbery. Could have been previous fraud attempts (rider using another's card) or maybe a rider knocked something over due to not seeing a display and wearing full gear. Just ideas that might have prompted this store policy.

Personally, if I am just popping in for a receipt or to pay, I leave the helmet on but raise the visor. If I am going in for more than that, helmet off.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #38
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I caught this in the OP. Could he have been trying to say something to you as you walked in, but since you couldn't hear him, he got angry? He may have said something along the lines of "No helmets allowed in the store." but then perceived your non-response as you ignoring him?
That is actually very plausible.

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #39
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

He may not know about the common use of ear protection under helmets.

Do you imagine how many motorcyclists go through the same awkward situation at that gas station every day?

They should have placed a clear sign about that restriction at the pumps and/or glass doors.

Whoever doesn't like it, wouldn't even walk inside.

Same applies to dogs, sunglasses, flip-flops, camels, umbrellas or whatever else could make them uncomfortable.

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #40
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Please, rohan, don't get offended.

CC Cowboy's style of posting is sarcastic whenever he is not posting real useful information, but his intention is far from offending anyone.

He was just asking if the station's clerk was a native american, since those persons are wrongly named Indians sometimes.

Ninjette.org is just pure fun and riders helping riders, nothing to do with obscure approaches.
Not offended. Not even slightly.
And thank you for explaining.