ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Trackday Gear - 1st time

Im sure im just terrible at searching, but i tried and didnt get the results i was looking for. I know ive seen a thread on here a while back with the info though.

Im looking to buy in the somewhat near future, or if a screaming deal comes along, a full set of track gear. I really have nothing besides a helmet. My boots barely go over my ankles (puma v2 flats), and my gloves arent gauntlets.

Just looking for GOOD brands, between 500-1000. Id rather 1 piece just because i know some tracks have different rules about the 2 piece suits. Thickness of leather and etc is what im looking for as well.

Boots i was thinking puma v3, or something similar 300-400 bucks. Gloves ill prob drop 150-200 on for some nice gauntlets or maybe ill find a good deal. Theres tons of gloves out there so what are the better brands for that as well?

I know this has been asked before, sorry if it has come up recently. I went back a few pages and didnt see what i was really looking for.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
See my sig, "Track Day Prep" for the gear setup ya might need.

Check the closeouts on the major gear sites, there is a thread for that too . I/someone surely will dig it up for you.

2 piece suits are normally not an issue if they have a 360 zipper that connects the 2 pieces.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Sticky in the Gear subforum. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62557

Remember closeouts will save you a ton. And don't write off used gear that has been well cared for.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint

Ive been eyeing some closeouts and thats why i ask I dont want something that will get me buy for year 1 or 2, i want something that will last 5-10

I was hoping you would chime in. Your track day prep ive seen, buy is doesnt list brands aside from boots really. The other link is basically where to buy stuff, i know a lot of sites. Im really just looking for type of leather, thickness or leather. Good brands with quality stiching and good feel. Etc. I know price is always an issue too and you get what you pay for as they say, but sometimes you can get some good higher end stuff on closeout for sub 1000. Thats what im looking for, not some speed and strength one that was 600 and is now 450 type of deal. Ive seen some 1.3 and 1.4mm thick leather, but i forget if that was a good size or not.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Ive been eyeing some closeouts and thats why i ask I dont want something that will get me buy for year 1 or 2, i want something that will last 5-10
No such thing. Out dated equipement is dangerous. Well, just as dangerous as racing was 5-10 years ago.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I was hoping you would chime in. Your track day prep ive seen, buy is doesnt list brands aside from boots really.
Ah, my bad. I should have trusted my gut and commented as such. Bear in mind that no matter the brand, not all gear models are what it is made out to be.

I can only share my experience with brands I have worn myself. I feel you can't really go wrong with any of the following brands. Most of these brands I have crash tested

A*, Dainese, S&S, AGV – Suits, the S&S was a perfect fit for a stocky build
Held, Taichi, A* - Gloves, although my next set of gloves will not be A*. They held up really well in my high speed crash but not as comfy as others at the same price point. Taichi is my next set.
Sidi, A*, AXO - Boots
Icon, Dainese - Back/chest protectors
Under Armour - Padded shorts
Bell, HJC, Arai, Scorpion – Helmets

What I found that didn’t work out well or average at best
My AGV suit didn’t breath worth a crap (@choneofakind wore that suit too, so lets get his input for additional perspective)
My A* AYC gloves (closeout). While they did protect my hands without failure to the leather or stitching, the finger guards/sliders make it easy to smash your finger. Get a pair that binds your pinky and ring fingers together!!!!
My AXO boots (closeout) They protected my foot/ankle/shin but were a 1 crash gear item. They could be repaired to near 100% protection for cheap but I bought a pair of Sidi instead.
Every Bell/HJC helmet I have owned has been really heavy

Not sure .1 mm leather thickness is gunna make that much difference in a crash but may make a difference in the rider’s comfort. As far as types of leather, you have cowhide, kangaroo, goat are most common. High end stuff is made of kangaroo and is thinner, softer, breaths better, ect… ect… Notice I didn’t say it protects you better though.

Some gloves have stingray skin in impact/slide areas of the gloves. Those look interesting but I haven't tested them myself.

I hope that answers your question better.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Bigballsofpaint

It does point me in a better direction. I was under the impression S&S was entry level so i shyd away from them. Same with A* for the most part.

Im not sure what my build would be considered im 6ft, 175lbs, 33-34 inseam.

About the leather thickness, i didnt know if some of the lower brand had like 1mm or 1.1mm

As far as Bell helmets, i have the RS1 and thats what ill be using. I cant say ive felt it being heavy, its lighter than the last scorpion i had and the inside material is great.

For boots like i said i was looking at the PUMA V3, but i dont see many people using them, i may go with sidi as well since they have a good reputation.

Thanks Chris! Now hopefully christmas can help me along with track gear

Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ah, my bad. I should have trusted my gut and commented as such. Bear in mind that no matter the brand, not all gear models are what it is made out to be.

I can only share my experience with brands I have worn myself. I feel you can't really go wrong with any of the following brands. Most of these brands I have crash tested

A*, Dainese, S&S, AGV – Suits, the S&S was a perfect fit for a stocky build
Held, Taichi, A* - Gloves, although my next set of gloves will not be A*. They held up really well in my high speed crash but not as comfy as others at the same price point. Taichi is my next set.
Sidi, A*, AXO - Boots
Icon, Dainese - Back/chest protectors
Under Armour - Padded shorts
Bell, HJC, Arai, Scorpion – Helmets

What I found that didn’t work out well or average at best
My AGV suit didn’t breath worth a crap (@choneofakind wore that suit too, so lets get his input for additional perspective)
My A* AYC gloves (closeout). While they did protect my hands without failure to the leather or stitching, the finger guards/sliders make it easy to smash your finger. Get a pair that binds your pinky and ring fingers together!!!!
My AXO boots (closeout) They protected my foot/ankle/shin but were a 1 crash gear item. They could be repaired to near 100% protection for cheap but I bought a pair of Sidi instead.
Every Bell/HJC helmet I have owned has been really heavy

Not sure .1 mm leather thickness is gunna make that much difference in a crash but may make a difference in the rider’s comfort. As far as types of leather, you have cowhide, kangaroo, goat are most common. High end stuff is made of kangaroo and is thinner, softer, breaths better, ect… ect… Notice I didn’t say it protects you better though.

Some gloves have stingray skin in impact/slide areas of the gloves. Those look interesting but I haven't tested them myself.

I hope that answers your question better.
I need more information about these padded shorts. Are they padded in the front or the back?

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

As long as your proportions are inline with their sizing, you would wear the same size 1 piece suite as me. Size 44, start there.

Last futzed with by csmith12; August 24th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:11 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I need more information about these padded shorts. Are they padded in the front or the back?
Back and hips.

http://www.campmor.com/seirus-unisex...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
They look like diapers to me.

With all the stuff you have to wear for safety how does anyone move?

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Trolololo CC.

With my little love tap below, my hips were glad I had them on.
Attached Images
File Type: png love.tap.png (98.6 KB, 7 views)

Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

For boots you may want to look at -http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-trq-race-out-boots?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CPPbtfGUlLkCFcyY4Aod8DEABQ

They are on closeout now at 250 bucks. I picked up a pair a couple weekends ago and I like them.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
SS suits have come a long way. Check out the new Twist of Fate 3.0 suit. Right in your price range and it's an awesome suit. They made the Triple Threat suit their more entry level suit, and made the Twist of Fate 3 their higher end race suit.

Worth looking at, right in the middle of your price range.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Also I keep seeing all these trackday specials. We should try to organize something this year and a bunch of us should go.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #16
Bigballsofpaint

@csmith12, how would you rate teknic or cortech suits? there are some of those that i like. The teknic chicane suit i found on sale for under 500 as well. The cortech adrenaline is pretty nice as well.

Old August 24th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Gloves… I'd add Knox to the "gloves with good reputations" list. I'd avoid entry-level in any brand, though. Some of the low-end A* gloves look like total crap.

FWIW I recently bought a pair of AGVSport GPR gloves and I'm very happy with them. Good features… full kangaroo palms, stingray skin sliders, pre curved fingers, external seams, good venting. Haven't crash-tested them, but they do appear to be well made. Screaming deal, too, at about $135.

The stingray skin is really bizarre stuff. Looks like plastic.

The only real downside is they look like S&M gear. Not necessarily a bad thing, if your partner is into it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
@csmith12, how would you rate teknic or cortech suits? there are some of those that i like. The teknic chicane suit i found on sale for under 500 as well. The cortech adrenaline is pretty nice as well.
I haven't owned or worn any Teknic and Cortech gear but it seems to be good stuff. A lot of my friends rock Cortech street gear and a few do their suits on the track. Do your homework on the Cortech models though. From what I have seen on the street and track, some models hold up really well and others, not so much. I think only one of my friends wears a Teknic suit and he has crash tested it a few times already and it's still holding up great.

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #19
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@Bigballsofpaint you should definitely check out Teknic. Their top of the line model was recently on sale, and the take home is that it's worn by Josh Hayes. That and I like to think that it had a more American cut compared to brands like alpinestars and dainese. With that said, alpinestars is not an entry level brand but make excellent entry level gear.

Anything that isn't dainese or rs taichi, you should be calling riders discount to get a pricing quote and save yourself a ton of money.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote