ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old December 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

My MSF Today

So, today was the second day of the MSF for me. The first day kinda sucked and I was kind of discouraged. I learned more reading Proficient Motorcycling than I did in the first day. All we did was answer the questions in the back of the book as a group and watch the videos. That was both days classwork and we were done by noon lol. It wasn't a huge deal for me since I've read all that information before, but I feel for someone that has not done any prior reading.

Today however, was lots of fun. All range time today, and since there's only 5 of us, we were getting some good practice in. 2 of the 5 have their license already, one guy has an R1 All of us except one guy are picking it up really quick, so we're moving pretty good. It's nice that we have like 09 Hyosung 250 comets. They seem pretty similar to the 250, albeit poorly constructed. Mine only has 700 miles on it and it's beat to **** from everybody dropping it lol.

Tomorrow is 17 more exercises apparently and then the ridden and written test. The instructor told me that VA does not exempt the written or driving test for the MSF, which is a bummer. After all this I'll still have to take the DMV tests.

Very slow speed stuff was tough at first, until I remembered to ride the clutch with the RPM up a little and trail the rear brake. Made it much more stable. Just gotta guess with the RPM, since these 250s have no Tach lol.

Lots of fun so far. It's supposed to rain tomorrow for the test, hopefully it's not too bad.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Good luck on your test and hope the rain holds out.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #3
emoyer
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Honda VFR800

my son & i took our msf riding test in the pouring rain. and it was dark. it was interesting. but at least now we have experience riding in the rain. (kind of). anyway, hope it all goes good for you.
emoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #4
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Rain will probably be more of a mental thing than anything, at low speeds it shouldn't be too bad unless you redline and drop the clutch mid turn lol. Watch out for the white painted lines on the course, although they probably aren't the same as the kind they use on actual streets which get slick in the cold and wet. I was lucky my msf was near the end of summer but temps were in the 90s, had to retake my driver license picture when I was all sweaty lol. Good luck hope to have another licensed rider with us
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Snowman78666
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Liston

Motorcycle(s): Looking to get a Ninja 250!!!

I took my third day after it had just rained....that was the day when we had our tests. As long as its not pouring down, it should be fine.
Snowman78666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

bummer you cant get outta the DMV test... thats what we do here. We only have to take it once in CA
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #7
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

A little footnote for why I'm happy with the ninjette.

The guy with the R1 has been riding for 10 years. He started on a gsxr600 I believe, and says he's STILL scared of his R1 after 10 years of riding. I heard him tell a couple stories to the other guys about him following people in twisty roads who were leaning far and dragging knee and he said he could/would not ever do that with his bike.

This gives me even more motivation on the 250R. I can't wait to practice and practice and then do some trackdays on the 250. Outriding people on R1's who never really learned how to ride is going to make my day. It seems like everyone here is just concerned with riding in a straight line.

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #8
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Ebony, 2012 BMW F800R White

When i took my MSF course a few months ago, It poured on us the first riding day, like all day torrential down pour. and then the second day it was like 35 degrees with a 20mph wind. It was less than fun to say the least lol, but I'm glad I went through it, made me more confident on my bike.
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #9
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Dont hit the CONE!! autofail! lol
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #10
nezumiamalek
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i know of a couple people in my class who hit the cones or knocked them over and still passed. Only 1 guy immediately failed (highslide) and thats because of his attitude/driving style was inappropriate.

Just as our test started it also rained! Tense situation but we all did fine. Either way you will as well, have fun!
nezumiamalek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hmm.... the only autofail in KY is dropping the bike during the exam or having an over the top piss poor attitude resulting in expulsion from the class.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #12
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

The rain held off and it was actually really nice today. Passed but got points off for putting a foot down in the u-turn box and apparently I cut the sweeping turn too close on the inside. I was going like 18mph or so and touched the inside line of the turn. The dude going 5 mph through the turn didn't get points taken off lol. Oh well, still passed. Definitely gonna have to practice that u-turn a lot on my own. I'm still scared of that crap lol.

How many parking spaces wide do you think that box is? Two?

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Congrats.

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post

In TN, it's two spaces - I'd assume it's the same everywhere. I'll tell ya this much, I had trouble with the u-turn box every time we practiced in it and during the test (still passed) but when I got out on my own in a church parking lot I did it with absolutely no problem - both feet on the pegs the whole time and everything. It was all just stress for me.

Oh, and congrats on passing!
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #15
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
The rain held off and it was actually really nice today. Passed but got points off for putting a foot down in the u-turn box and apparently I cut the sweeping turn too close on the inside. I was going like 18mph or so and touched the inside line of the turn. The dude going 5 mph through the turn didn't get points taken off lol. Oh well, still passed. Definitely gonna have to practice that u-turn a lot on my own. I'm still scared of that crap lol.

They didn't give you a phamplet on parking lot practice. It generally lays out how to make all the measurements using PL lines.

Best place to practice u-turns is in a cul-de-sac. That will let you practice progressively tighter u-turns until you can get comfortable doing them on a standard width street.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to riding skills

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #17
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Went to the DMV today to check on a license and register my bike. Apparently they do waive the test for a safety course, but they don't recognize the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" *boggle. I would have to take their version at a local community college.

So obviously, I wasn't going to pay to redo this class I've just done. The only other option was to transfer my driver's license to VA, then take the permit test. I now have a motorcycle permit and have to wait 30 days before I can take my license test lol. So ridiculous, oh well. I mean I can see if I was like 16 or something, but I've been driving for 10 years and completed the MSF BRC.

Whatever, I just have to ride in a group with one other person with a license. Only other guy I know is a friend I work with that rides a zx14 lol. Guess it'll be the big brother program for a while.

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #18
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

weird... in CA the community colleges and the DMV partner with the MSF...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #19
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Did they say it had to be someone licensed in VA? I have my FL motorcycle endorsement, and wouldn't mind a riding buddy lol.

Old December 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #20
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

So long as they have a license I think. My wheels should be back from powdercoat by the time you come up here with your bike. We'll definitely go riding after we beef up your bike.

Old December 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #21
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Sounds good to me, the jet kit will be in hopefully before I leave for FL, and I got my integrated tail light installed today. Got my other bar end mirror, and the connector kit for the LED plate lights coming tomorrow hopefully.

Old December 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #22
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

Quote:
The instructor told me that VA does not exempt the written or driving test for the MSF, which is a bummer. After all this I'll still have to take the DMV tests.
really? I got my endorsement a little over a year ago (I live in Fairfax, VA) and my DMV tests were waived. did the law change this past year? the only other motorcycle-related law change I was aware of is that we're allowed to run red lights now (after we wait either 2 minutes or 2 cycles)

Old December 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #23
tsiratiug
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2010 Ninja 250R SE (SOLD), 2002 Honda Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
really? I got my endorsement a little over a year ago (I live in Fairfax, VA) and my DMV tests were waived. did the law change this past year? the only other motorcycle-related law change I was aware of is that we're allowed to run red lights now (after we wait either 2 minutes or 2 cycles)
How is the Red Light law working there? It's been discussed in my state but not passed yet. I like the idea. I can't tell you how many times I've been in semi-rural suburbia and had to sit (more than 2 minutes) at a light waiting for a car to arrive so the light would trigger.
tsiratiug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #24
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

it's really really helpful. you still have to sit there for a little, but at least you're not absolutely dependent on some other late night motorist. I AM still kinda paranoid about doing it in front of a cop, though. lol

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #25
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Quote:
it's really really helpful. you still have to sit there for a little, but at least you're not absolutely dependent on some other late night motorist. I AM still kinda paranoid about doing it in front of a cop, though. lol
NC has one too but ours is 3 minutes. I do it all the time going to work cuz I work the mid shift(midnight-8am) and going to work at 1130, most of the light on my route are triggered by sensors past 10 I think. Done it several times infront of the local PD so far and none of em have even given me a second glance.

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #26
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
^ What he said. I have consulted with 8 different schools, both privately owned and publicly endorsed, and all of them tell me that once you take your MSF course level one your DMV tests are waived, since that is what the MSF course level 1 is all about. I really need VA riders that have gone through the MSF trainign in VA to chime in because something is not adding up here and I dont want to go and pull double duty when I go through this in the spring.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #27
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
^ What he said. I have consulted with 8 different schools, both privately owned and publicly endorsed, and all of them tell me that once you take your MSF course level one your DMV tests are waived, since that is what the MSF course level 1 is all about. I really need VA riders that have gone through the MSF trainign in VA to chime in because something is not adding up here and I dont want to go and pull double duty when I go through this in the spring.
The DMV website says they don't exempt for it. And when I showed them my MSF BRC card they told me they do not accept this course. This was in Chesapeake, even the manager looked at it.

Old December 10th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #28
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

perhaps it's dependent on location? Dave and I live in just about the same area, but Virginia Beach is a little out of the way from us... maybe the classes there aren't licensed or whatever to waive the dmv test? like, maybe the there are just more riders in our area than there are down where Tom lives?

I took my MSF course on a NOVA (NVCC Annandale) campus. I feel like I remember looking up one course that was cheap, but didn't have a DMV waiver.
what I'm trying to say is that not all classes are certified to waive the DMV test.

taken from the va dmv website:

Quote:
If you completed the Virginia Rider Training Program after July 1, 2007, you will be exempted from taking both the motorcycle knowledge exam and the road skills test, and you will be allowed to operate a motorcycle for 30 days after completing the course. However, in order to remain eligible to operate a motorcycle, you must apply within the 30 day period to add the Class M designation to your license. Certificates issued after July 1, 2007, are valid for a period of one year from the date of completion. Make sure to bring the certificate of completion with you when you apply for your motorcycle license.

Old December 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #29
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
perhaps it's dependent on location? Dave and I live in just about the same area, but Virginia Beach is a little out of the way from us... maybe the classes there aren't licensed or whatever to waive the dmv test? like, maybe the there are just more riders in our area than there are down where Tom lives?

I took my MSF course on a NOVA (NVCC Annandale) campus. I feel like I remember looking up one course that was cheap, but didn't have a DMV waiver.
what I'm trying to say is that not all classes are certified to waive the DMV test.
Maybe you are right, glad to hear the NVCC course is a safe bet because that is where I plan to take mine. did you pay any money for registering at NOVA? Is the only thing that I have not gotten a clear answer to.

Old December 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #30
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

@Dave

Unfortunately, yes you have to pay. The course is expensive--like $300 or something, I forget now. For me, it was worth it because it was the first time I wasn't a passenger on a motorcycle. I guess I lucked out, too, because my teachers and classmates turned out to be really nice and friendly.

@Tom

tough break I guess bro. :/ I'm sure you'll do just fine on the DMV test, just a pain that you gotta be tested again.

if I can scrape some time and money together, I might go back for the level 2 course. can't hurt to be more prepared, especially with the way cagers get around here. the only other place I'm more afraid of driving is [insert third world country name here]

Old December 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #31
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it, just wierd that's all. The course was free. The military makes you do the ERC and the sportbike course as well, and they're also free. So it's not too bad a deal.

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #32
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

ForceOfWill:

If you took the Military version of the MSF safety class, DMV won't accept that. I took the MSF version at the Portsmouth Harley Davidson location and that was accepted by DMV. All I had to do was take the 10 question mandatory test (don't get any wrong) on street signs and then turn in my motorcycle permit with the training certificate and I got my "M" endorsement. This was in 2006 so something could have changed but I don't think so. If anything, DMV wants to turn over the testing portion to the MSF so they (DMV) can get out of that business.

Since I work on base I had to take the Military's Experienced Riders Course (they waived the BSC since I had previously taken that) and the Sports Bike Riders Course.

Good luck and safe riding.
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #33
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to. No idea why they won't take it still though, it's the exact same BRC from MSF. And my card is a laminated MSF BRC card, just under location it says NAS Oceana. Oh well, I'll just stick it out with the permit until the beginning of January and then take the DMV test.

Old December 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #34
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Meh, that is weird, specially since a lot of the military continued education programs are excellent and widely accepted everywhere. Dumb DMB is dumb.

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #35
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
wait. you had to pay $300 for the MSF course?? it's $25 in Ohio, and free for people 17 and under.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #36
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
wait. you had to pay $300 for the MSF course?? it's $25 in Ohio, and free for people 17 and under.
Wow only $25 for a 2-3 day course? The class I took at a Harley Dealership 2 years ago was over $200. Should have taken my course in Ohio!
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #37
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeorge747 View Post
Wow only $25 for a 2-3 day course? The class I took at a Harley Dealership 2 years ago was over $200. Should have taken my course in Ohio!
The Basic Rider Course (6 days of instruction, 4 on the bike and 2 in the classroom) is free in PA .
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #38
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Wow I didn't know the MSF BRC varied in length and price so much from state to state. I'm guessing some states must subsidize the course so that it can be made available to more people.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #39
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

I paid $125 for mine at Tidewater CC(2.5 Days), I could've gotten it free through any of the military bases in the Norfolk area(FL requirements for military personnel outside the state just say that you need to take the BRC course and you send in a copy of the card and they send you a new license with your M endorsement) but when I was checking around none of them had any free slots till after January(My base doesn't offer it, and I could've gotten the money back for the course since its required but I actually enjoyed the course and didn't mind paying for it.)