ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1
parox91
ninjette.org member

Name: Not Applicable

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250

Getting off the line (15/45)

So my ninja is basically stock except for the 15tooth in the front, I don't want to change the gearing because I like how the bike runs at lower RPMs on the highway but I will if it's recommended.

When I get into town, I sometimes find the bike "chugs" along sometimes if I don't rev the engine enough and engage clutch fully sooner when I get off a red light in 1st gear. Now this isn't a huge issue for me but sometimes I want to get going quicker to avoid strange situations like Sally on her phone coming up behind me when the light turns green.

Questions:
Whats the best RPMs to have the bike at before slipping the clutch?
How will this affect my clutch plates?
What about giving a large push with my leg during take off?

If I do go back to stock gearing, is running the bike at 10-11k RPM on the highway for 30mins-1hour that good for it? I've read that it may burn oil when rode like that...

Note:
I do plan on removing the air box and installing an efi kit in a couple of months (whenever I have some damn time...) for some extra power to compensate.

Thanks for reading/skimming this.
parox91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Sounds like you need to work on your throttle and clutch control for take offs. The bike is more than capable with stock gearing or 15t front sprocket.

As far as high rpms for long durations. With stock gearing I hit around 80mph indicated while in 6th gear at 10k rpms. Most states have highway speed limits at 65mph, obviously there are a few with higher but 80mph is still fast enough. I have heard that the oil pump does not work well past 12k rpm, it is something I would look into if it concerned me.... it doesn't. These bikes like to be run hard IMO

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
parox91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Sounds like you need to work on your throttle and clutch control for take offs. The bike is more than capable with stock gearing or 15t front sprocket.

As far as high rpms for long durations. With stock gearing I hit around 80mph indicated while in 6th gear at 10k rpms. Most states have highway speed limits at 65mph, obviously there are a few with higher but 80mph is still fast enough. I have heard that the oil pump does not work well past 12k rpm, it is something I would look into if it concerned me.... it doesn't. These bikes like to be run hard IMO
Maybe i'm just overthinking it, though I have noticed that once I engage the clutch the bike hangs for a little bit at 6k rpm and then picks up speed, is that normal?

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Quote:
Originally Posted by parox91 View Post
Questions:

If I do go back to stock gearing, is running the bike at 10-11k RPM on the highway for 30mins-1hour that good for it? I've read that it may burn oil when rode like that...

Note:
I do plan on removing the air box and installing an efi kit in a couple of months (whenever I have some damn time...) for some extra power to compensate.

Thanks for reading/skimming this.
1. 3K-5K maybe. I go more by sound and feel instead of the tach needle.

2. I have 20K miles on my original clutch.

3. You're already sitting on 35+ hp. If 1 additional leg is needed to get it off the line, something is wrong.

4. I commute daily and spend 10-15 min at a time in the 10K-11K range. Never burned any oil. For street riding, I like 15/45 much better than stock.

An EFI kit will help with cold starts but it is not going to make anymore power. As subxero said, it sounds like a throttle/clutch timing issue. If not, it could be dirty carbs or incorrect jetting.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
15t/45t here, hold 10k rpms when you get just over 1/2 clutch feathered out, PIN IT and dump the rest. hahahahahhaha jk yo

The street is a scary place sometimes. Work on your 6th sense and you will not need to launch so much. But when you do... you really need to.

Good luck out there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM   #6
parox91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
1. 3K-5K maybe. I go more by sound and feel instead of the tach needle.

2. I have 20K miles on my original clutch.

3. You're already sitting on 35+ hp. If 1 additional leg is needed to get it off the line, something is wrong.

4. I commute daily and spend 10-15 min at a time in the 10K-11K range. Never burned any oil. For street riding, I like 15/45 much better than stock.

An EFI kit will help with cold starts but it is not going to make anymore power. As subxero said, it sounds like a throttle/clutch timing issue. If not, it could be dirty carbs or incorrect jetting.
35? I thought it was more like 25-26, it's been dynojetted a couple of months ago as well as the valves (the PO rejetted with factory pro but I had bought the dynojet thinking it was still stock at the time of install). The bike still has a soft spot around 5-7k but should this be noticeable in 1st gear? . I've ridden it almost everyday since then so the carbs needing to be cleaned can be ruled out - I pulled them out spotless but still cleaned them

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #7
parox91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
15t/45t here, hold 10k rpms when you get about 1/2 clutch feathered out, PIN IT and dump the rest. hahahahahhaha jk yo

The street is a scary place sometimes. Work on your 6th sense and you will not need to launch so much. But when you do... you really need to.

Good luck out there.
I did this with my girlfriend on the back... terrifying for both us

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:50 AM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You don't have to be crazy with the launches to get a smooth and quick launch from a light.

Give it a good twist, maybe 1/4-1/3 throttle, feather the clutch to keep the rpm's around 3000 until the engine and transmission are at the same speed, then keep on the throttle.

If you're getting chugging or jerking, go to a parking lot and practice stops and starts a lot. You'll see quick improvement in your clutch and throttle muscle memory.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:52 AM   #9
mgorven
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250 Black

Quote:
I run 15/44 gearing and have the clutch fully engaged by ~3K. No power problems up to 7-8K where I shift to second.

Quote:
If the clutch is still partially engaged at 6K+ it will probably wear faster.

Quote:
Have you tried pushing your bike while sitting on it? I can barely get it moving...

Quote:
Running at high RPMs is normal for this engine. AFAIK a bit of oil burn is also normal.
mgorven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10
parox91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You don't have to be crazy with the launches to get a smooth and quick launch from a light.

Give it a good twist, maybe 1/4-1/3 throttle, feather the clutch to keep the rpm's around 3000 until the engine and transmission are at the same speed, then keep on the throttle.

If you're getting chugging or jerking, go to a parking lot and practice stops and starts a lot. You'll see quick improvement in your clutch and throttle muscle memory.
Off to "lunch" now

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
35? I thought it was more like 25-26
Yep, that's in stock dress. 32+ is a well tuned bike with a full system/air mods/jetted. 35 is kinda tough to get.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yep, that's in stock dress. 32+ is a well tuned bike with a full system/air mods/jetted. 35 is kinda tough to get.
Yes, sorry. Meant 25, not 35.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........When I get into town, I sometimes find the bike "chugs" along sometimes if I don't rev the engine enough and engage clutch fully sooner when I get off a red light in 1st gear. Now this isn't a huge issue for me but sometimes I want to get going quicker to avoid strange situations...........
Your engine has had too many modifications for my comfort; carburetors, inbox and exhaust may be working in complete disharmony at those rpms' of weak output.

Weak or not due to wrong mix or low compression, your engine should deliver abundant torque at higher rpms'.

As a palliative, you need to slid that clutch as much as needed and to open that throttle gradually (clutch-out slowly while twisting the right wrist slowly) for not killing the high rpms', while you are feeling that pushing force forward (don't look down onto the tachometer, just feel the vibrations and hear the noise of the engine).

No need for worries, you cannot damage that clutch by doing that.
Practice much until you master it.
It is going to become handy when riding two-up or uphill.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:43 AM   #14
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Name: mitch

Motorcycle(s): Green Ninja 250 2008!!!!

My bike never chugs off the line, although mine is a newgen and I drove a manual so my takeoff is pretty good. Sounds like your bike may have an issue, i think motofool said you have too many mods, he might be right cuz the bike should be zippy when your on the gas, it always is for me.

Also, by the engine chugs along, do you mean the engine is bogging? Because it shouldn't ever bog in the correct gear unless you have mechanical issues...
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #15
parox91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Yeah, I was launching way too hard/not hard enough initially. I was zipping around for the past hour with no issues

Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #16
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Yeah, I was launching way too hard/not hard enough initially. I was zipping around for the past hour with no issues
I thought it was raining up there!

Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:08 PM   #17
parox91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I thought it was raining up there!
It was, i rode to work before it started and took my lunch after it stopped and dried up

Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #18
nightrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Black '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
LOL, I wish...more like 25
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote