ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you gotten hated on for your 250?
Yes 45 49.45%
No 46 50.55%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

250 Trash Talk?

When I was looking at getting a motorcycle I decided on a Ninja 250r, because it is known as a good first bike. As I looked around, I found lots of posts on forums about people getting put down for having a 250 or people putting down other people who have 250s.

I've had my bike for about 1.5 months now and have only heard good things. Random people with R6's, R1's, GSXR's etc. who have asked what bike I ride/recognized it as a Ninja 250r have all said stuff like good choice and nice bike.

I'm not complaining about not getting hated on, but I'm curious how many of you guys have gotten crap for owning a 250. Is it cause I haven't had mine long enough to find the asshats or what?
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Give it time.... you will find one or one will find you. Judging from other threads on this forum, it's not as rare as it should be but times are changing.

I have had a little sh*t talk about my bike but the more I hear them speak, the more I learn how much they DON'T know about bikes and ignore them from then on out. It's just not worth your time.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

cant say when i told someone i rode a 250 they scoffed at me and thought they were better than i was. All the motorcyclists that i tell that it is a 250 say its a great and fun bike
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The only people who ride 250s are girls, noobs, and people who don't have the balls to handle a 1000. A 600 is a girls bike, man up and stop being a pussy.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #5
JELY1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Give it time.... you will find one or one will find you. Judging from other threads on this forum, it's not as rare as it should be but times are changing.

I have had a little sh*t talk about my bike but the more I hear them speak, the more I learn about how much they DON'T know about bikes and ignore them from then on out. It's just not worth your time.
Ya, I plan on either ignoring them or agreeing that I am indeed a fat pussy to get them to shut up if I ever encounter one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
cant say when i told someone i rode a 250 they scoffed at me and thought they were better than i was. All the motorcyclists that i tell that it is a 250 say its a great and fun bike
Glad you've avoided the assholes so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The only people who ride 250s are girls, noobs, and people who don't have the balls to handle a 1000. A 600 is a girls bike, man up and stop being a pussy.
AHH I can't let people think I'm a girl with no balls!!! I'm gonna go buy a 1000 tomorrow and start riding in shorts and a tshirt to show people I'm hot $%#@.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I had someone almost start to bash it (gixxer 1000 rider), but he looked at my face and didn't try to say anything else. But we ended the conversation on a pleasant note at least and he did agree I would probably destroy him in the twisties. He also admitted he just likes extreme acceleration lol.

Other than that no one has said anything. And if they did in the words of eminem "I just don't give a f***" I'm not a very approachable person either.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:44 AM   #7
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Usually just people asking "why?". Who cares what they think? It's funny to take squids on their 600s to the twisties and smash 'em.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:18 AM   #8
redsuns03
ninjette.org member

Name: Rand

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
Usually just people asking "why?". Who cares what they think? It's funny to take squids on their 600s to the twisties and smash 'em.
Couldn't agree more That is why I choose to buy my 250

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM   #9
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I recently told one of my friends I bought a motorcycle. When I told him it was a 250, he was actually relived. His words were "I thought you got a hayabusa or something stupid" lol... So there are some sensible people out there

Last futzed with by psych0hans; August 23rd, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM   #10
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

Most people rag me for starting out on a 250. My brother used to call it a scooter, dirt bike and a toy until I let him ride it. Now he respects it and calls it a motorcycle . All my female friends started on 600, 750, hyabusa, cruisers, etc, but none on a 250. I have no need to get on the interstate at this time, as anywhere you need to get is in town. I don't plan on racing on a track so I don't need a bike that goes over 90mph right now. I have known a few who said I made a good choice, a female teammate of mine who is an msf instructor and the guy at the place where I bought my first bike. He explicitly said, go with the 250 or a 500 at the most as a starter. They both said only a fool would recommend a faster bike to someone with absolutely no bike experience.
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:50 AM   #11
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Nobody has really put me down for it. One of the guys down the street has an R1 or R6 or something and he always waves, and he's kind of a squid too..no helmet or anything.
My neighbor laughed a little bit saying I bought a baby bike, but it was just a bit of jest. A coworker was also jesting and asked how my scooter was.
A second coworker rides choppers and has no clue about how vastly different CC's play into effect on different types of bikes, so he is always indirectly putting down "little 250's". But he's kinda one of those guys who thinks he's an expert about everything ("can't go on the AC expressway with under 500cc"...umm no..its 150cc. Read for a change and you'd find that out..).

But nobody genuinely openly says, oh man your bike sucks. Most people's heads still turn regardless, and I've had MANY people tell me how nice my bike is, or walk over and check it out up close.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:10 AM   #12
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

The only people who hate on my bike are my friends who don't have bikes, but they wish they did. They just jelly.
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Stamatos
ninjette.org member

Name: Derrick

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250 CLG

I don't really catch flak from anyone about the displacement size. My cousin is a Harley rider and even he gives my little ninja props.
Stamatos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:00 AM   #14
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

My manager said once to me that after the 250 you need to get a 'decent' bike and I jokingly replied, you're calling my bike not decent and he retrenched and jokingly apologized no no I meant......
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:30 AM   #15
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

long and true story short:
Idiot: why did you get a 250? that thing is super slow
Me: It's not what you ride, its how you ride it. Care to go canyon riding with me on your r6?
Idiot: I'll burn you dude
Me: okay - lets go

***fast forward to canyon ride - I left him in the dust around the corners. So badly, to the point where I had to get off my bike, sit on the side of the road and wait. When he finally caught up, it was very satisfaying asking him why he got whooped by a 250?

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #16
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

I don't even HAVE a bike yet, and I'm getting **** for wanting a Ninja 250.

"No man, you want a Honda Shadow" NO I DON'T!

"You don't want a sport bike" YES, I DO
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM   #17
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Only kids online have trash talked it, nobody has in person.

In fact, I was putting air in my tires the other day (free air @ home depot, woo hoo) and this guy pulled up asking about my bike. He said he thought it was a 600 and said "**** 250s stepped their game up, that's a sick bike."

Then he proceeded to tell me he just wrecked his '07 CBR 600 and is looking at getting a BMW S1000RR with his insurance check :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
But nobody genuinely openly says, oh man your bike sucks. Most people's heads still turn regardless, and I've had MANY people tell me how nice my bike is, or walk over and check it out up close.
I hear that. I rode my bike through campus, since I had to get my parking permit, and had at least 10 people go out of their way to say "very nice bike" or similar.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
your bike is so fat, it revs to 7-11.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #19
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
The only people who hate on my bike are my friends who don't have bikes, but they wish they did. They just jelly.
Exactly this. None of my friends ride but continue to bash on the 250. One of my good friends was supposed to get a bike a while ago, but I ended up getting mine first. I keep telling him to go the cheaper route and just get a 250 like me but he refuses to. Says he's gotta get at least a 600 or that 250 is not enough.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM   #20
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toua70 View Post
long and true story short:
Idiot: why did you get a 250? that thing is super slow
Me: It's not what you ride, its how you ride it. Care to go canyon riding with me on your r6?
Idiot: I'll burn you dude
Me: okay - lets go

***fast forward to canyon ride - I left him in the dust around the corners. So badly, to the point where I had to get off my bike, sit on the side of the road and wait. When he finally caught up, it was very satisfaying asking him why he got whooped by a 250?
ahaha. guy from work who turns right next to you??

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM   #21
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
ahaha. guy from work who turns right next to you??
Yes.. thats him! Til this day, he still talks down on the 250. He's been wanting to go again to PV but our schedules don't meet and he says im dodging him because i'm afraid that he's better than me now (keep in mind, i've been riding 4-5 years and he's been riding approx 6 months) The very last time we rode PV was with him and his friend on a gsxr750. Again, I left him in the dust. I've other coworkers that are interested in riding and they ask me for my opinion and I tell them to start on a 250 - guy with the R6 butts in and says its too slow, you'll get bored of it, etc. Gets a little annoying - even now when we leave work at the same time, i lose him around the turns. The guy is so ignorant

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

I feel like most sane, reasonable people who are genuinely interested in riding will respond well if you tell them average insurance costs.

Oh 250, not a bad bike. Probably in the ballpark of $200-500/yr (generic numbers, pulling out of a hat). 600? Something like $1500-$2000 a year.
Watch their eyes pop out of their heads and you'll see what they end up on lol.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:36 AM   #23
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I bash on my 250 all the time since I've always had a deep dislike for Kawasaki's and still do. It's an over glorified scooter that's slower then $hit, has terribly weak front brakes, and don't get me started on the OEM tires and pogo stick suspension :lol

Then they ask me if I hate it so much then why do I own it.

Because I love! this little canyon carver and everyone should have to start on it as there first bike.

Yes I'm conflicted but what would you expect from some who's last bike had 220 HP
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:41 AM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
I feel like most sane, reasonable people who are genuinely interested in riding will respond well if you tell them average insurance costs.

Oh 250, not a bad bike. Probably in the ballpark of $200-500/yr (generic numbers, pulling out of a hat). 600? Something like $1500-$2000 a year.
Watch their eyes pop out of their heads and you'll see what they end up on lol.
my 250 costs about $650 a year insurance. my 600 (granted, its a 92) costs me 65$ a year.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM   #25
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
my 250 costs about $650 a year insurance. my 600 (granted, its a 92) costs me 65$ a year.
full coverage, new bikes

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
full coverage on both. new bikes are for girls.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #27
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Eh, the only people who bash on my 250 are people who don't ride, or haven't ridden with me.

If they don't ride, idgaf about what they think of my bike.

If they haven't ridden with me, that's because I don't like them and idgaf about their opinions either
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #28
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Eh, the only people who bash on my 250 are people who don't ride, or haven't ridden with me.

If they don't ride, idgaf about what they think of my bike.

If they haven't ridden with me, that's because I don't like them and idgaf about their opinions either

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #29
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
damnit i guess im a girl now.
you win.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM   #30
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

The only bike Nazi hate i've heard about my 2011 cbr250 has been from Ninja250 & cbr250RR owners online.

Ppl who see it in the flesh always say what a cool little bike it is.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM   #31
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've seen a couple CBR250's on the road and a few in the dealership. Never gotten a chance to ride one so my hatin' is likely misguided.

I think Honda missed the target a little with the styling, but it seems to be an overall good package from what I've read from the reviewers. It's just not my cup of tea.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
AFM #676

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:23 AM   #33
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
sweet. backup.
Insane Cheeseburger Posse!

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM   #34
JELY1990

Wow the poll is a stalemate right now. I guess there are as many sensible people as douchebags out there. My faith is humanity has been restored a little.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:14 PM   #35
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Never had a negative comment on mine.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #36
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

I have been asked what size it is, I tell then it's a Ninja 13R. Which it is, 13 cubic inches......

And I only had one friend ask why a 250, I said I looked at all the bikes out there, and the 250 was the EXACT bike I wanted out of all of them.
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
13R that's awesome and I'm stealing it
AFM #676

Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM   #38
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I've seen a couple CBR250's on the road and a few in the dealership. Never gotten a chance to ride one so my hatin' is likely misguided.

I think Honda missed the target a little with the styling, but it seems to be an overall good package from what I've read from the reviewers. It's just not my cup of tea.
same here.. I don't like the styling of the cbr but it did beat the Ninja 250 as the best 250 class bike available. I forget which magazine I saw it in but anyway, I would rather pick the Ninja any day

Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:40 PM   #39
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA-Moo View Post
I have been asked what size it is, I tell then it's a Ninja 13R. Which it is, 13 cubic inches......

And I only had one friend ask why a 250, I said I looked at all the bikes out there, and the 250 was the EXACT bike I wanted out of all of them.
Hahaha I love it! I call mine a quarter litre bike.
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #40
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toua70 View Post
Yes.. thats him! Til this day, he still talks down on the 250. He's been wanting to go again to PV but our schedules don't meet and he says im dodging him because i'm afraid that he's better than me now (keep in mind, i've been riding 4-5 years and he's been riding approx 6 months) The very last time we rode PV was with him and his friend on a gsxr750. Again, I left him in the dust. I've other coworkers that are interested in riding and they ask me for my opinion and I tell them to start on a 250 - guy with the R6 butts in and says its too slow, you'll get bored of it, etc. Gets a little annoying - even now when we leave work at the same time, i lose him around the turns. The guy is so ignorant
I really can't wait to be able to ride at your level, and I know that takes time, patience, and practice but that's cool to hear.

I would make one "observation" though... If this rider has been only riding about 6 months, I wouldn't recommend challenging him to a ride because that sounds like a recipe for his limited skill and unlimited power to get him into serious trouble... Just my $.02.
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote