ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 18th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #1
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Name: O

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Cool Ok to replace one tire at a time?

My front tire is almost bald, but my back tire still has a couple thousand more miles. There's a large difference so my guess is they were replaced at different times before me.

I just bought the front tire online to hopefully install it next week.

I know some people say you should replace both tires at the same time.

Should I also replace the back tire even though it still has life on it?
Omarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:00 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I replace them as they wear out or need replacing, front and rear get done at different times.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #3
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Is it ok to replace one tire at a time. Absolutely.

Should you replace your rear is a different story though. If the rubber is more than two years old I would replace it.

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #4
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
Should you replace your rear is a different story though. If the rubber is more than two years old I would replace it.
Ahh that's another good point. I actually don't know if that tire has been more than 2 years.Had the bike for a year. It actually might be more than 2 years old.

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarel View Post
Ahh that's another good point. I actually don't know if that tire has been more than 2 years. I had the bike for a year so far. It actually might be more than 2 years old.
They should have numbers on the side that mark the age.

42 means the 42 week, and 02 means 2002. You should be able to tell how old yours is by looking at the tire.

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #6
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Ahh that's another good point. I actually don't know if that tire has been more than 2 years.Had the bike for a year. It actually might be more than 2 years old.
Towards the bottom of this page is how to read the date code on motorcycle tires.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...ignations.aspx

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As HB noted, tread depth isn't the only way to know when it's time to replace your tires.

Tires dry out and the rubber gets harder over time, no matter how many miles they have on them. After a few years they have lost some amount of ability to provide traction.

The date code is on the sidewall of the tire - 4 numbers in an oval - like "3609". The first 2 digits are the week of manufacturer, the second are the last digits of the year, so a tire marked "3609" was manufactured the 36th week of 2009. I would say 4 years is a safe max age. Much over that and it's time to replace it no matter how much tread is left.

I would check the age, and if it's close go for a new rear as well. You'll never regret having new tires. I've replaced a set of new tires with 500 mi on them because I thought they sucked.

Good tires are important.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
They should have numbers on the side that mark the age.
Nice! I'll check that out later. So 2 years is the mark and they should be replaced even if not worn out.

Old April 18th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #9
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Nice! I'll check that out later. So 2 years is the mark and they should be replaced even if not worn out.
That is my limit, you might be able to squeeze three out of them, but you are at a serious loss of traction after two years.

Old April 18th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #10
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
I have to disagree with HoneyBadger on that one. I think 2 years is way to soon. Even the places that sell tires say to replace them after 5 years of use or 10 years from manufacture date.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ers-guide.aspx

Since I don't know how much "Use" a tire mounted on a motorcycle has had, I go with 5 years from date of manufacture if the tire is mounted on a bike already.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Bigballsofpaint

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Ya I go with the 5 year recommendation.

Old April 18th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #12
HoneyBadgerRy

Thats fair enough, but I'm not going to trust my ass to a 3 year old tire. But on the same aspect, you guys wouldn't ride without leathers.

Old April 18th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #13
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I have to disagree with HoneyBadger on that one. I think 2 years is way to soon. Even the places that sell tires say to replace them after 5 years of use or 10 years from manufacture date.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ers-guide.aspx

Since I don't know how much "Use" a tire mounted on a motorcycle has had, I go with 5 years from date of manufacture if the tire is mounted on a bike already.
5 years is the given bingo marker for most people.

2 years for race tires like GPA's.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #14
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Thats fair enough, but I'm not going to trust my ass to a 3 year old tire. But on the same aspect, you guys wouldn't ride without leathers.
HB, I didn't say you were wrong, I just said I disagreed with you.

Agree with the above. Although I tend to go more with synthetics and Kevlar on my legs and a leather jacket, we all have to ride as we feel comfortable.

The other side is if you ride your bike only 5,000 miles per year (which is not a lot of riding) the tires should only last 2-3 years anyway before they wear out. If you just let it sit in the garage you probably won't care how old your tires are. I have a neighbor who has a 10 year old bike with less than 5,000 miles on it. I'm sure it has it's original tires on it. I'm also sure he has no plans to put new tires on it.

Old April 18th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #15
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Yes Go ahead and change them at different times. I didn't have the tool to do my wifes front tire, so it had a stock tire and a nice knob on the back for now.

I've not typically had tires last 1 year, let alone 2, but 2 years is a bit extreme if not worn out. My KLR is going on three, and the tires are still compliant and not cracked. Will be replacing before my Rockies trip this year though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160417_143810.jpg (97.8 KB, 58 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #16
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

One issue with not replacing tires simultaneously is if you go with a single tire replacement that's got significantly different traction characteristics than the remaining tire. For instance, if you go with a fairly sticky front tire but the rear is the typical rock-hard OEM tire you may have a higher chance of the rear tire losing traction a lot sooner than the front in an aggressive corner, leading to a lowside. I replaced both my DunRocks at 3K because they were dry-rotted (at only 3 years old!) with Kenda touring tires, and since then I replace tires as needed with the same model. If I were to go to a stickier sport tire model I would replace both at the same time, then just replace as needed.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #17
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Replace what you need.. if a tire is not worn, not dry rotted, doesn't have leak, no hole; ride it until it needs replacement.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Replace what you need.. if a tire is not worn, not dry rotted, doesn't have leak, no hole; ride it until it needs replacement.
Unless it is too old.

Age is the least obvious reason to replace tires, so it's very often overlooked.

4 to 5 years is a safe guideline for cycle tires unless they are showing odd wear or cracking.

Old April 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM   #19
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Unless it is too old.

Age is the least obvious reason to replace tires, so it's very often overlooked.

4 to 5 years is a safe guideline for cycle tires unless they are showing odd wear or cracking.
A tire can be stored properly for a long time and still be usable.. maybe not for race track use when every second counts for your lap time.

I don't think there is a need to waste/replace perfectly usable tire on a bike for my daily commute that doesn't require more then 65% of available traction.

Old April 19th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #20
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
I can usually get two rears to one front.

But I always stick with the same brand/model. I do not use differing brands/models on the bike.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
A tire can be stored properly for a long time and still be usable.. maybe not for race track use when every second counts for your lap time.

I don't think there is a need to waste/replace perfectly usable tire on a bike for my daily commute that doesn't require more then 65% of available traction.
Ah...no.

There are times when only 100% of available traction is enough. You never know when that will be. "Wasting" a tire is better than wasting some perfectly good bodywork or gear.

My first street crash, back in the 80s before I knew better, I can attribute to crappy tires. I've replaced ('wasted") new oem cycle tires with 500 mi on them because I didn't like them. I've also replaced 3 year old auto tires with 70% tread because I didn't feel they were safe.

Ride on old crappy tires if you want, but I never will. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone as being a good idea either.

Old April 19th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #22
"A"
vampire

If you have to use 100% of available traction on public roads, more than likely you are doing something illegal or getting yourself into dangerous situation that you should have avoided to begin with.

Whatever your personal preference is in tire replacement; does not constitute the common usage of motorcycling community at large.

I much rather relying on my ability to predict and avoid danger; rather then depending on my tire to perform at 100% of available traction.

My suggestion was to replace what's necessary, unnecessary tire replacement is just waste... and there is finite amount of rubber/waste that we should all consider.

Last futzed with by "A"; April 20th, 2016 at 05:13 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
If you have to use 100% of available traction on public roads, more than likely you are doing something illegal or getting yourself into dangerous situation that you should to begin with.

Whatever your personal preference is in tire replacement; does not constitute the common usage of motorcycling community at large.

I much rather relying on my ability to predict and avoid danger; rather then depending on my tire to perform at 100% of available traction.

My suggestion was to replace what's necessary, unnecessary tire replacement is just waste... and there is finite amount of rubber/waste that we should all consider.
Ever hear of an emergency stop? I'm not talking about dragging a knee.

There are all sorts of "common practices" that are just plain stupid - so that's not proof it's a good choice.

Thinking your skills are good enough not to need 100% traction at some point is naive.

Old April 19th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #24
"A"
vampire

Yes, I ride between Manhattan and Brooklyn, I know and use emergency braking on nearly every single ride.

Again, I rely on my ability to predict and avoid danger, not to brake for danger, because braking only reduce the amount of available traction and options to avoid danger.

I never said my skills are good enough, but they are what I rely on over replacement of unworn tires... since brand new tires are more likely to behave differently than old tires that I'm used to.

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #25
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Yes, I ride between Manhattan and Brooklyn, I know and use emergency braking on nearly every single ride.

Again, I rely on my ability to predict and avoid danger, not to brake for danger, because braking only reduce the amount of available traction and options to avoid danger.

I never said my skills are good enough, but they are what I rely on over replacement of unworn tires... since brand new tires are more likely to behave differently than old tires that I'm used to.
But if you had great sticky brand new tires you would have the traction to pinch the front brake for .5 seconds, shave some serious speed off, and then make a maneuver easily that saves your ass when you would be **** out of luck on other tires.

The other day I was riding in town and a blue corvette took a left right in front of me, and I didn't have anywhere to go (besides the sidewalk or oncoming) so I got on the brakes hard enough to lift the rear tire (briefly). I highly doubt I would do that if I had lesser brakes or tires. (Hypermotard and a brand new battalax s20f)

Old April 19th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
What A is saying is... the 95.5 seconds of confidence and prediction is worth more to him than the .5 second at the last moment. I tend to agree... right up until that last .5 second. hahahahahahaha
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #27
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

That's a contradiction.

In no way does having more traction diminish your ability to predict and avoid danger. It increases your ability to avoid and react to it.

It's a ridiculous argument.

Old April 20th, 2016, 04:17 AM   #28
"A"
vampire

You asked if I've ever heard of emergency stop.. I have... and I use them on most every ride; therefore I know the importance of having a set of dependable tires that can perform emergency stops.

Having more traction is only needed when you already know you are in dangerous situation, not to predict dangerous situation.

To avoid danger, you need to look for ways and options that do not require maximized traction (braking), by simply going around obstacle instead of impact; yes at times is may be going onto the sidewalk or opposite lane, I choose those options quite frequent, too... since they are better than impact...

Braking is almost never the first reaction I choose to avoid dangerous situation, because braking limits the amount of available traction/options to avoid impact.

I rely on my ability to predict and avoid danger because they are needed regardless what equipment or bike I am riding. Good tires, worn tires, brand new tires.. they all perform differently but knowing that you can rely on your skills and ability is more important than grabbing a handful of brakes that limits your ability to turn or swerve to avoid impact.

The topic of thread is whether: OK to replace one tire at a time?
I think it is OK.
You disagree, present your case, give your reasons.. simple as that.

Old April 20th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #29
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Yes, you can replace one tire at a time. The tires still have grip, and nothing crazy will happen. However, there are some things to consider.

Usual rule that I have heard for replacing a tire is 5 years on rim or 10 years from manufacturing date, whichever is first.

However, the new tire may have a different profile from your old. It is not a big deal, but it may give you a different feel from the bike. Even if it's the same pattern, the new versus worn (depending on your riding style) might have a different feel.

I don't put a ton of mileage on my bikes but do go to the occasional trackday, so I tend to replace both tires at the same time prior to a trackday. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind to me.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #30
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

It's really not an issue. Change tires as they wear, it's fine, but if your mind wants total peace, of course change them both! Any tires new or old... Be careful, and ride safe.
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2016, 06:21 AM   #31
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

I've done it all and survived. changed tires at different times, Parelli on the front, Dunlop on the back...

it's all good

new rubber all around = new bike... change rubber only when needed = frugal biker

5 years is a good number. I can never get mine to last that long, but my daughters front tire was 6 years old when I changed it... cracking down in the tread is a good sign you need to change. Means the tire flexes in the turns but the rubber has lost it's elasticity.

give a new tire a good washing and scrubbing with a brush. The surface needs a little prep before full power and lean angle is applied.

Old April 24th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #32
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
But if you had great sticky brand new tires you would have the traction to pinch the front brake for .5 seconds, shave some serious speed off, and then make a maneuver easily that saves your ass when you would be **** out of luck on other tires.

The other day I was riding in town and a blue corvette took a left right in front of me, and I didn't have anywhere to go (besides the sidewalk or oncoming) so I got on the brakes hard enough to lift the rear tire (briefly). I highly doubt I would do that if I had lesser brakes or tires. (Hypermotard and a brand new battalax s20f)
If you're depending on perfection you're riding the wrong bike. Nothing's 100% perfect, nothing ever will be.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote