ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old August 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #1
SOCL
Ninja Newbie

Name: Saśl

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ebony Ninja 250R "Ezio"

New rider in Northern Virginia

Hello there, my name is Saśl, a new rider and proud owner of a black 2011 Ninja 250R. I had never really been a motorcycle enthusiast until very, very recently when, on a whim of sorts, I purchased my first bike not knowing a damned thing about riding! Hell, I've never even driven stick!

So I took a weekend course with Apex and got that prized little M on the back of my license. Not more than an hour later, revved up on adrenaline and feeling good about myself, I took the bike out for my first real street ride...

Ever hear that maxim: "In combat, a soldier's brain turns to goo and flows out his ear"? Essentially it means that all thought leaves you and training takes over. Well, it seems the opposite happened to me as all the hours of training turned to goo and dribbled out my ears, while cocky stupidity and senselessness took over. Revved too hard in first, hit some gravel, clipped the curb, locked the front break...

Yeah...

I am really, really glad the jacket I purchased fit correctly and is actually a riding jacket. Not to mention the armored gloves, brand new helmet, and that I was wearing rather thick jeans. My pride hurt the most after that, especially when all I could do was stare at my bike, on its side, facing the wrong way in traffic, and go "F*ck, f*ck, f*ck" over and over again.

Well, some time has no passed. I feel a little wiser (a little) and quite a bit more confident. I take it as a lesson as I have now learned much more respect for the road than my 2007 Mustang can ever teach me.

Anyway, that's my way of introducing myself: short-time rider just looking to get some advice and tips on making the very best of my Ninja 250.

Last futzed with by SOCL; August 20th, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
SOCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

SOCL! Glad to have you aboard...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

welcome!!oh man black again!!

Old August 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Yo, welcome. Where in NoVA are you?
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Welcome! I work in Alexandria

Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Hello and welcome to the forum! I live in culpeper which is roughly 40-45 minutes south of Alexandria. I actually bought my bike up in Herndon. Nice to have you aboard.

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Guh Culpeper, somewhere you definitely don't want to speed. I went to school at UVa so driving through there everytime I came home/drove back down to school was a pain. Especially with 29 just dragging on in a straight line for miiiiiles. My girlfriend at the time actually got sentenced to 10 days in jail for going 15 over in Culpeper.....

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #8
TheTKDSpartan
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Special Edition

Welcome
TheTKDSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #9
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Welcome, as you can see there are a bunch of us in the dmv area i live in DC on joint base anacostia. We need to get a group ride together!

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #10
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

welcome! checking in from fairfax, here. I know how you feel about crashing dude. Not all the parts fit like showroom on my bike and there are still some bits that are scuffed up from when I went down. live and learn, right?

Old August 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
Welcome, as you can see there are a bunch of us in the dmv area i live in DC on joint base anacostia. We need to get a group ride together!
that's so true.

Old August 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #12
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Welcome to the 250 party.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #14
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #15
SOCL
Ninja Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
Yo, welcome. Where in NoVA are you?
Alexandria; technically Fairfax County, just south of (Old Town) Alexandria along GW, in the direction of Mt Vernon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
Guh Culpeper, somewhere you definitely don't want to speed. I went to school at UVa so driving through there everytime I came home/drove back down to school was a pain. Especially with 29 just dragging on in a straight line for miiiiiles. My girlfriend at the time actually got sentenced to 10 days in jail for going 15 over in Culpeper.....
I remember those days, only then I drove - I would drive from George Mason to UVa to visit my girlfriend and she would always, always, always remind me to keep it under the speed limit when driving along 29... Such a waste of road, but I definitely did not want to deal with the police out there. Their laws are byzantine!

Quote:
Yeah, man. I actually work at National Harbor, no more than 10-15 minutes from Anacostia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
welcome! checking in from fairfax, here. I know how you feel about crashing dude. Not all the parts fit like showroom on my bike and there are still some bits that are scuffed up from when I went down. live and learn, right?
Absolutely.

Old August 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #16
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCL View Post
Yeah, man. I actually work at National Harbor, no more than 10-15 minutes from Anacostia.
Sweet! I ride down there now and then behind the gaylord hotel where all that construction is down near the water, sometimes there is a good view if you can overlook the construction in front of you

Old August 5th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #17
SOCL
Ninja Newbie

Quote:
Sweet! I ride down there now and then behind the gaylord hotel where all that construction is down near the water, sometimes there is a good view if you can overlook the construction in front of you
Quick question for you: I've never ridden on the interstate, just on back-roads and GW, but I plan on using the bike to get from Alexandria to National Harbor and back on a fairly normal basis, which requires taking 495 across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Any tips on crossing the bridge and riding on 495 for a newbie? Should I wait a bit (I've only been riding since June) or just attack it head-on?

Old August 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Quick question for you: I've never ridden on the interstate, just on back-roads and GW, but I plan on using the bike to get from Alexandria to National Harbor and back on a fairly normal basis, which requires taking 495 across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Any tips on crossing the bridge and riding on 495 for a newbie? Should I wait a bit (I've only been riding since June) or just attack it head-on?
Theres nothing particularly difficult on crossing that bridge on a bike. If you're not paying attention, you would hardly know that your going over a bridge. Once you get comforatble riding the highway, the bridge will be no problem at all.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #19
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
There's a place called the Vienna Inn that is supposed to have some awesome chili dogs. I have never been there myself, but been dying to go. If there is any interest, we could/should plan a meet up there.

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #20
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Ever since I watched Sonic the Hedgehog eat a chili dog for the first time on the cartoon (I never really understood why that was his food of choice) I have loved chili dogs, so I would be more than open to such a meet up.

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #21
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

+1 for NoVA group ride.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #22
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I would say it all depends on you and your comfort level. The first interstate ride for me was 495 and it was from base to national harbor, with my buddy leading. We went around 7pm when traffic was very low. The bridge isn't all that daunting. The road conditions are decent and it's a pretty straight, short shot over the bridge to get to the Washington/National Harbor exit. Traffic is to be expected depending on the time of day. As always, just keep your situational awareness up.

I don't like riding 495 towards virginia/tysons corner much due to the heavy construction, narrow lanes, horrible road conditions, and congested traffic. So if you ever head that way just be extra cautious. 495 towards Baltimore has good road conditions, and a wide open feel to it, making it an ok ride.

The interstate is fast and windy so expect to get blown around a bit, you'll get used to it though. I wouldnt say attack it head on, if you're going to ride it just be cautious, respect the road, and mind the traffic around you, especially when passing or changing lanes. Situational Awareness (SA) is key. ALWAYS LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER when changing lanes. Can't stress it enough. Every time I ride, especially on the interstate, I catch someone in my blind spot that I other wise would have hit if I didn't look. When I change lanes I look in my mirror, then over my shoulder, then if there is a car next to my left or right I make sure they are not about to make a lane change into the same spot as me, and then I look forward in the direction of my lane change. It seems like a lot but it's a pretty quick process.

I learned the true importance of checking the car to your left or right just yesterday. I signaled a lane change to the left and as i finished my looking procedure and started in to the lane the jeep liberty to my direct left cut into the spot that I was headed for. He signaled but didn't look, as I had a perfect view of his head through his passenger windows. I had to swerve back into my lane. It brought me back to the BRC course and I was glad I practiced swerving a lot

If you need or want someone to ride with, let me know.

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #23
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
There's a place called the Vienna Inn that is supposed to have some awesome chili dogs. I have never been there myself, but been dying to go. If there is any interest, we could/should plan a meet up there.
I'm down...

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #24
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm down...
Im not a planner/organizer type, so if anyone wants to grab the reigns and go with it, I will gladly fall in line.

Old August 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #25
SOCL
Ninja Newbie

Thanks for the tips, mates!

Vienna Inn is a pretty happening place - I went there once or twice while I was at Mason. Food is pretty good, beer is cold, and nothing is very expensive. I'm down for getting together, but for the next two months my schedule is packed, one with taking over a new job and preparing for my wedding in September, then the honeymoon in the latter part of September. If someone throws down a date, though, I'll try my damnedest to clear my schedule and meet up.

Old August 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #26
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

NoVa pips! nice, Welcome Count me in if you guys are gonna do a meet and greet thing, we also have a group of people who always have group rides every sundays over at ninja250forum.com
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #27
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, mates!

Vienna Inn is a pretty happening place - I went there once or twice while I was at Mason. Food is pretty good, beer is cold, and nothing is very expensive. I'm down for getting together, but for the next two months my schedule is packed, one with taking over a new job and preparing for my wedding in September, then the honeymoon in the latter part of September. If someone throws down a date, though, I'll try my damnedest to clear my schedule and meet up.
Never been/heard of it but it sounds yummy

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #28
saint15
ninjette.org member

Name: erick

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r green se

glad to see u join our site. and its good to see that ure ok, and u learned a lesson without getting hurt.

Old August 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #29
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #30
pandevv
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Varun

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Welcome SOCL!

I'm new to this site as well, but noticed we have so many people in NOVA ready to ride. I'm interested in doing a group ride, who all is down?
pandevv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #31
SOCL
Ninja Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandevv View Post
Welcome SOCL!

I'm new to this site as well, but noticed we have so many people in NOVA ready to ride. I'm interested in doing a group ride, who all is down?
I would love to be a part of a NOVA group ride - except for the fact my bikes in the shop... One of my neighbors backed his 4Runner into (and likely over top of) my bike. It's pretty damned banged up. Thank goodness he left a note and assumed responsibility - now it's just a matter of getting Coleman PowerSports to give me an estimate and giving it to State Farm (my neighbor's insurance company).

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #32
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Hey guys, new NOVA rider here as well, just bought my ninja 300 over the weekend in WV and rode it home. Proud owner of a white one! I would totally be down for some group rides if any come up!
gibtzumich318 is offline   Reply With Quote