ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

best practices for filtering at red light

Hi All,

Would like the input of people who filter to the front of the line at red lights. Since I am still fairly new to commuting on my bike, I don't always filter and will often just position myself in a way that I could duck between cars if there is immediate doom approaching from the back. I always have the bike in gear at lights. That said, some of the lines at SoCal lights (especially close to Freeway on/off ramps) can be very long during rush hour and it can take a couple of cycles go get through. In these situations I do filter to the front when I feel I can do so safely and position myself back in the middle of a lane once at the front. Never really check speed as I filter through (looking for any indication that a car is doing something stupid instead), but would assume I go 10 to 15 mph when moving between cars.

My question is related to the instances when the light turns green while I am in the process of filtering to the front. What are your best practices to make sure you are noticed and can safely merge back into a lane? I appreciate that there likely is no "one size fits all" solution as much will depend on specific traffic situation, but would appreciate your thoughts and observations.

In most cases I find myself slowing down, letting the guys currently next to me go and then merge into the lane behind them; logic for that approach being that there is a bigger chance that the cars behind have noticed me filtering through than the ones I am next to when they start going. But of course that bears the risk that the cars behind feel like being jerks and not leaving a gap. Another option would be to gun it and try to get to the front of the line as quickly as possible, but since these situations often happen around Freeway, I am always concerned that a driver all of the sudden decides to change lanes to hit the Freeway. There are also quite a few cars on the road around here that out-accelerate the Ninjette, so it is not necessarily a given that I'll get to the front and free & clear.

Would appreciate if you could share your experiences and thoughts.

Cheers!
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Great question! I don't get to filter except on the race track lol. So very interested in the responses.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I generally just continue splitting but I split at speed too. Just keep doing what you're doing since its working out for you. Don't ever split between a car and an empty lane becaus Ethan car is going to switch lanes and hit you. It is only safe to split when there is a car on each side of you.

Remember if the cage has an opportunity to Change lanes, he's going to

Also loud pipes save lives, wheelie for safety, turbo busa
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've made a lot of mistakes while splitting. luckily i've been able to ride my way out of MOST of those mistakes. there have been many instances however where the difference between riding away thinking "that was close" and riding away in an ambulence or worse is only a margin of a few inches. so if you don't plan to stay completely focused, 100% of the time, don't lane split.

with that said, lane splitting is a lot of fun because of the fact that it demands such intense concentration... about your questions;

the answer really depends entirely on the situation. every situation demands a different response. but lets take an example and examine it. lets say its a 2 lane each way with a short left hand unprotected (yield) turn lane on each side and a small shoulder for turning right. you decide to split up to the light.
use the most protected lane. don't split on the shoulder ever, people don't expect anyone to be there and will gladly pull over and stop for no reason, make right turns randomly without signally or looking, or simply just move over into the shoulder while still going straight for apparently no reason. so right hand side: off limits unless you need to turn right or pull over. what about the left side? that's kinda the same situation here since there is a left turn lane. people might decide to turn left, if its heavy traffic people in the left lane might decide to anticipate the green and try to jump the light and head back into the straight lane... if you are on the left they might not see you and might clip you or you wait just a hair and the guy behind you rear ends you... just use the most protected lane, the center of the two straight lanes.
OK, so you are coming up to the red light in the center lane, you are going about 10mph passing the 4th car back when the light goes green... first of all you should already have surveyed the intersection for danger as you were coming up, you should know if its a protected left turn or if its a yielding... are there pedestrians that are going to cross, holding up any people turning right, effecting the right lane? all these things need to be taken into consideration when choosing the correct action. so what are the possible actions from this point? cars 3 on both side are probably oblivious to you at this point so slowing to match the accelling cars will put you basically in front of cars 3 or 2 with little to no clearance on any sides. hopefully they slow down a bit and give you some room. if you are back any further this is kind of your only option. you risk getting bumped from the side from ignorant retards but its a very slow and controllable way to blend back in. another option (my personal favorite but the most risky) is to gun it... there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself (should have already asked yourself) before you ever just gun it. is someone going to jay walk and you'll hit them? is there going to be something ahead that you will need to brake for or avoid? is there more traffic ahead? a train crossing? is someone going to go late through the light that you'll hit? if the cars in front still have their brake lights on but the lights are green, chances are there is something bad coming that you simply can't see. they can probably see it... why else would they be stopped at a green... always try to take into account that you can't see everything... identify what you can't see... assume there is a truck waiting to kill you behind the areas you can't see. assume there is an adorable little girl running out in traffic that everyone but you is waiting for. if people aren't acting like they should, chances are there is something wrong so don't do something stupid.
another solution to blending with traffic when you area near the front is to continue on, and accelerate with traffic. maintain a +10mph split as the cars take off, with this you pass the lead cars just after the intersection. problem with this is if you get johnny racer in the front he will definitely gun it after seeing you go by... i don't need to explain why this is dangerous. another hazard is the guy who guns it to get in front to make a quick lane change... often they wont be looking for a bike splitting as their attention is on the car to the side and the light to get a quick launch. they will side swipe you without hesitation. in LA it's not uncommon for the turn lanes to go first, and its not uncommon for cars to jump the turn on lights that don't have the turn go first, so keep that in mind... always assume if there is a car waiting to turn left that they are going to turn left in front of you... the answer to that varys from situation to situation... if you can brake in time, you might try that... you might get rear ended, you might hit the car. if you can dodge, you might try that. you might hit a car to the side, you might slide your tires and lowside, you might not make it... if you are going to dodge, dodge away from the car, so a left turn in front of you means they are going to your right... go to the left... yes oncoming traffic is scary, pitch it back to the right asap. it is only a small gap that you have trying to dodge that way and its easy to screw it up and hit a car.

well... there is a few solutions to one very common situation... just remember, don't get distracted... pay attention to everything... know what is going on. don't be looking for your friend behind you. don't be checking out the hot chick in the car you are splitting by. don't admire the funny bumper sticker. search. look. keep your damn eyes open and LOOK.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i've made a lot of mistakes while splitting. luckily i've been able to ride my way out of MOST of those mistakes. there have been many instances however where the difference between riding away thinking "that was close" and riding away in an ambulence or worse is only a margin of a few inches. so if you don't plan to stay completely focused, 100% of the time, don't lane split.

with that said, lane splitting is a lot of fun because of the fact that it demands such intense concentration... about your questions;

the answer really depends entirely on the situation. every situation demands a different response. but lets take an example and examine it. lets say its a 2 lane each way with a short left hand unprotected (yield) turn lane on each side and a small shoulder for turning right. you decide to split up to the light.
use the most protected lane. don't split on the shoulder ever, people don't expect anyone to be there and will gladly pull over and stop for no reason, make left turns randomly without signally or looking, or simply just move over into the shoulder while still going straight for apparently no reason. so right hand side: off limits unless you need to turn right or pull over. what about the left side? that's kinda the same situation here since there is a left turn lane. people might decide to turn left, if its heavy traffic people in the left lane might decide to anticipate the green and try to jump the light and head back into the straight lane... if you are on the left they might not see you and might clip you or you wait just a hair and the guy behind you rear ends you... just use the most protected lane, the center of the two straight lanes.
OK, so you are coming up to the red light in the center lane, you are going about 10mph passing the 4th car back when the light goes green... first of all you should already have surveyed the intersection for danger as you were coming up, you should know if its a protected left turn or if its a yielding... are there pedestrians that are going to cross, holding up any people turning right, effecting the right lane? all these things need to be taken into consideration when choosing the correct action. so what are the possible actions from this point? cars 3 on both side are probably oblivious to you at this point so slowing to match the accelling cars will put you basically in front of cars 3 or 2 with little to no clearance on any sides. hopefully they slow down a bit and give you some room. if you are back any further this is kind of your only option. you risk getting bumped from the side from ignorant retards but its a very slow and controllable way to blend back in. another option (my personal favorite but the most risky) is to gun it... there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself (should have already asked yourself) before you ever just gun it. is someone going to jay walk and you'll hit them? is there going to be something ahead that you will need to brake for or avoid? is there more traffic ahead? a train crossing? is someone going to go late through the light that you'll hit? if the cars in front still have their brake lights on but the lights are green, chances are there is something bad coming that you simply can't see. they can probably see it... why else would they be stopped at a green... always try to take into account that you can't see everything... identify what you can't see... assume there is a truck waiting to kill you behind the areas you can't see. assume there is an adorable little girl running out in traffic that everyone but you is waiting for. if people aren't acting like they should, chances are there is something wrong so don't do something stupid.
another solution to blending with traffic when you area near the front is to continue on, and accelerate with traffic. maintain a +10mph split as the cars take off, with this you pass the lead cars just after the intersection. problem with this is if you get johnny racer in the front he will definitely gun it after seeing you go by... i don't need to explain why this is dangerous. another hazard is the guy who guns it to get in front to make a quick lane change... often they wont be looking for a bike splitting as their attention is on the car to the side and the light to get a quick launch. they will side swipe you without hesitation. in LA it's not uncommon for the turn lanes to go first, and its not uncommon for cars to jump the turn on lights that don't have the turn go first, so keep that in mind... always assume if there is a car waiting to turn left that they are going to turn left in front of you... the answer to that varys from situation to situation... if you can brake in time, you might try that... you might get rear ended, you might hit the car. if you can dodge, you might try that. you might hit a car to the side, you might slide your tires and lowside, you might not make it... if you are going to dodge, dodge away from the car, so a left turn in front of you means they are going to your right... go to the left... yes oncoming traffic is scary, pitch it back to the right asap. it is only a small gap that you have trying to dodge that way and its easy to screw it up and hit a car.

well... there is a few solutions to one very common situation... just remember, don't get distracted... pay attention to everything... know what is going on. don't be looking for your friend behind you. don't be checking out the hot chick in the car you are splitting by. don't admire the funny bumper sticker. search. look. keep your damn eyes open and LOOK.
WOW, a lot of great thoughts and advice to think about. Thanks for taking the time to respond Alex!

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Also loud pipes save lives, wheelie for safety, turbo busa

Thanks Jiggles; that's also why I wear a rainbow color wig and clown nose when riding instead of some silly helmet.....

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Post #4 deserves a frame and a wall
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
oh man, just don't get me started on highway lane splitting. you'll have a novel to read

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You guys in California are so brave lane splitting at speed;..........well, actually, I have seen Floridian squids doing it on I-95 at around 100 mph;...............not for me, even if it would be legal down here.

(I did it at legal speed one day and felt just like a hot dog between two cars).

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #10
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post

Thanks Jiggles; that's also why I wear a rainbow color wig and clown nose when riding instead of some silly helmet.....
Does that really work? Not the nose part.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Well said, @alex.s
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't believe their is any safe way to merge back into traffic while lane splitting, you either have a gap, have a friendly driver, push or get ****esd if you're splitting and the traffic starts moving, you get back into lane, or not, the cars aren't obliged to slow down and let you back in they'll just think "deserves the arsehole right!" You may even get stuck stopped with cars whizzing past you, you'll be raging, but ultimately it's no different to you speeding through stopped traffic as they will be doing the same thing, except legally, and in lane.

Ultimately, cars don't expect someone to come screaming inches between them, they may think "i'll position myself more to the left next time the traffic moves for my manouver, i'm indicating, mirror, signal, turn in slightly, CRASH" it's illegal here and for good reason, it's dangerous. Get in lane, stay in lane, overtaking is different, imo you shouldn't be between lanes for any other reason then transitioning between lanes.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Ultimately, cars don't expect someone to come screaming inches between them, they may think "i'll position myself more to the left next time the traffic moves for my manouver, i'm indicating, mirror, signal, turn in slightly, CRASH" it's illegal here and for good reason, it's dangerous. Get in lane, stay in lane, overtaking is different, imo you shouldn't be between lanes for any other reason then transitioning between lanes.
And yet I safely navigate on my bike every day, weird.
AFM #676

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't believe their is any safe way to merge back into traffic while lane splitting, you either have a gap, have a friendly driver, push or get ****esd if you're splitting and the traffic starts moving, you get back into lane, or not, the cars aren't obliged to slow down and let you back in they'll just think "deserves the arsehole right!" You may even get stuck stopped with cars whizzing past you, you'll be raging, but ultimately it's no different to you speeding through stopped traffic as they will be doing the same thing, except legally, and in lane.

The post started out so well but then came to a complete dead end on the conclusion. First of all, it is legal and common in California and people do expect it. If you are unable to operate a bike properly I would agree with you. But if you pay attention and do what needs to be done, it winds up working well. All my crashes have been very far away from lane splitting. I lane split like a real asshole, 95 percent of the time when I'm around cars. Getting away from cars in my opinion is far safer than staying with them.

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
And yet I safely navigate on my bike every day, weird.
Until the bored kid stuck in traffic in the family 4x4 decides to play with the door handle, or an animal walks between the lanes picking up food scraps people toss onto the highway, and you can't avoid it and slam into someone's rear window. Perhaps a homeless man is walking through traffic that's at a standstill begging for change, you can't see him as he is at window height trying to get peoples attention, he steps out and boom both dead, it's just too risky.

Sure you may be fine until this point, but the risk of something happening is not related to experience or skill, it's chance.

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Until the bored kid stuck in traffic in the family 4x4 decides to play with the door handle, or an animal walks between the lanes picking up foot scraps people toss onto the highway, and you can't avoid it and slam into someone's rear window. Perhaps a homeless man is walking through traffic that's at a standstill begging fort change, you can't see him as he is at window height trying to get peoples attention, he steps out and boom both dead, it's just too risky.

Sure you may be fine until this point, but the risk of something happening is not related to experience or skill, it's chance.
Well **** you shouldn't ever leave the house either, you could be hit by lightning or a rabid dog might attack you.
AFM #676

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Well **** you shouldn't ever leave the house either, you could be hit by lightning or a rabid dog might attack you.
It's about mitigating risk, I wouldn't ride a motorcycle if I was that concious over risk, but you look at it in a cost benefit scenario, you may get everywhere a little faster, but it's not worth the risk for me.

It may be legal in California, but so are a lot of crazy things.

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #18
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Quote:
Until the bored kid stuck in traffic in the family 4x4 decides to play with the door handle, or an animal walks between the lanes picking up food scraps people toss onto the highway, and you can't avoid it and slam into someone's rear window. Perhaps a homeless man is walking through traffic that's at a standstill begging for change, you can't see him as he is at window height trying to get peoples attention, he steps out and boom both dead, it's just too risky.

I've been splitting lanes for a long time in the L.A. area and quite honestly, if you can't avoid any of the things that you have listed, you're probably going too fast when you're splitting and/or not paying enough attention.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
It's about mitigating risk, I wouldn't ride a motorcycle if I was that concious over risk, but you look at it in a cost benefit scenario, you may get everywhere a little faster, but it's not worth the risk for me.

It may be legal in California, but so are a lot of crazy things.
Like teh buttsex
AFM #676

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I've been splitting lanes for a long time in the L.A. area and quite honestly, if you can't avoid any of the things that you have listed, you're probably going too fast when you're splitting and/or not paying enough attention.
Exactly. What I'm wondering is how often does Josh lane split.? Not often? But he seems to know so much about it?

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #21
dave42
ninjette.org guru

I can't blame him though; I wouldn't be splitting that much either if animals are eating stuff that are in my path of travel.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Do it as much as you like, if you can say you're happy that the potential dangers outweigh the pay-offs.

Me, I don't start a maneuver without having a clear exit, or any exit, I don't ride within range of opening doors, I don't ride where their is not enough space to maneuver out of danger and I don't assume cars won't change lanes suddenly.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #23
dave42
ninjette.org guru

As much as you think otherwise, we don't start maneuvers without planning out exits or go bravely and blindly into situations that we can't get out of either. There's always the brake lever when something comes up and you can't go around, ya know.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Do it as much as you like, if you can say you're happy that the potential dangers outweigh the pay-offs.

Me, I don't start a maneuver without having a clear exit, or any exit, I don't ride within range of opening doors, I don't ride where their is not enough space to maneuver out of danger and I don't assume cars won't change lanes suddenly.
this shows that you truly know nothing about lane splitting. you do not understand it so you assume (like ignorant car drivers, i hate to say) that people who do it are doing so unsafely or recklessly without planning caution or any forethought whatsoever. maybe if you took the time to read my novel of a post (post #4) you might understand a little bit of the effort and conscious planning that goes into lane splitting. its not "oh gosh cars in my way, better brap brap around them like an idiot!"

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Any specific roads you wouldn't split on? Why?
Any road or weather conditions you wouldn't split aside of the obvious? Wind, rain, snow, ect...
Do you wait for the rider and tires to warm up a bit or do you split straight away from the time you pull out the driveway?
Do you avoid splitting merge points?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ones with only one lane each way, while technically legal its probably not a great idea. Also it depends on how much space is inbetween the cars and what the road is like there. Is it different level height between the lanes? Lots of those annoying little bumper flasher thingies. A lot of paint? Or rather small lanes? Some places you just can't split because the lanes are too small and theres not enough space

Quote:
Any road or weather conditions you wouldn't split aside of the obvious? Wind, rain, snow, ect...
I'll split in the rain but only if I can keep off the paint. Heavy winds I've done it too, just take extra caution

Quote:
Do you wait for the rider and tires to warm up a bit or do you split straight away from the time you pull out the driveway?
I'll split right away

Quote:
Sort of. I'll split up to where the cars begin merging and then find a spot. There is one spot though on a freeway ramp that has 2 lanes merge. I'll split to the merge spot and then I go to the shoulder. I'm still in the white line so its legal. The reason I do this is that the ramp is banked a lot and it can be difficult to maneuver at slow speeds and stop. So that is the one exception where I do split on the shoulder.
AFM #676

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
this shows that you truly know nothing about lane splitting. you do not understand it so you assume (like ignorant car drivers, i hate to say) that people who do it are doing so unsafely or recklessly without planning caution or any forethought whatsoever. maybe if you took the time to read my novel of a post (post #4) you might understand a little bit of the effort and conscious planning that goes into lane splitting. its not "oh gosh cars in my way, better brap brap around them like an idiot!"
You're being very assumptions on my opinion, and to label an entire group of people such as car drivers into the "ignorant" bin is indicative of narrow vision on a subject that is perhaps more multi-faceted than you'll give credence to, so you reject and mock opposition to perpetuate the ego, place pathetic words in peoples mouths and resort to mockery.

But while we're at it, it also seems your understanding of a novel spans little over the belief that they are typically long, however I would tend to agree with you as novels are generally fictitious.

It's unquestionable that lane splitting is dangerous, as you are not in control of the situation, you are at the mercy of the car drivers that are all in a position to hit you, you're coming at them from behind, they're not looking out for you and they "dependent on location where lane splitting is practised" are not expecting you. But it's a trade off, if you accept that their is more risk and it's work it to you than by all means go for it, you have made an informed choice, well done.

Can someone please tell me it's safer than sitting in traffic now? I need a laugh.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #28
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

While I appreciate the general discussion on whether lane splitting is a good thing, can we please focus his thread on the questions in my original post?

Thanks guys!

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Can someone please tell me it's safer than sitting in traffic now? I need a laugh.
Why certainly! Wait here, I'll be right back!
AFM #676

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Alright I'm back! Here ya go, enjoy!

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There isn't enough data to prove either side of the argument to be uniquely accurate. Every few years some organization or another gets a bug up their butt here in California and pushes the Highway Patrol to work to eliminate lane sharing. Each and every time, the law enforcement community pushes back, gently, by stating what I paraphrased above. Accident statistics don't show that lane sharing is any more or any less dangerous than sitting in traffic in between cars, and there is no reason to ban the practice on safety grounds.

From a personal safety standpoint, in stop and go traffic on the highway, I feel much safer in between lanes than sitting directly behind / in front of that same traffic. There are so many more escape routes available if paying attention, that don't exist if the driver behind forgets to look up from their cell phone and compresses a motorcycle between their front bumper and the car ahead. If the rider (or a nearby driver) makes a perception error or driving error, the impact can also be a more glancing blow that is recoverable.

That doesn't mean splitting between cars at excessive speed is safe. That doesn't mean that lanesharing/lanesplitting eliminates risk. It doesn't even imply that it's statistically safer overall. But it's still a completely rational choice for many, who are choosing to do what they feel appropriate, to protect themselves in traffic. YMMV.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'll split it up and respond to each part.

Quote:
It's unquestionable that lane splitting is dangerous, as you are not in control of the situation,
wrong. you are in complete control of your own vehicle. if you aren't you shouldn't be driving.

Quote:
you are at the mercy of the car drivers that are all in a position to hit you,

ah see there you go. in a position to hit you. this shows how little you know about lane splitting. a proficient lane splitter practices and puts themselves in positions where cars won't be in a position where they can easily make a mistake and hit you. only a fool would pass someone who is about to switch lanes. if you don't know someone is about to switch lanes guess what, you are not paying close enough attention. maybe get your eyes checked and renew your lens perscription.

Quote:
you're coming at them from behind, they're not looking out for you and they "dependent on location where lane splitting is practised" are not expecting you.

what does it matter? not expecting you, they mostly don't see you. i prefer them to not know i'm coming, people make stupid decisions and try to give you extra room or something. that is just complicating the situation. if you are paying attention you know what they are going to do, you know what input they get, what they see, what they are going to do. and then you take into consideration the crap you dont know about. what if there is something in the road, what are they going to do, how are they going to respond to that jay walker, or the squirell running out in the street.

Quote:
But it's a trade off, if you accept that their is more risk and it's work it to you than by all means go for it, you have made an informed choice, well done.

like jiggles is pointing out, its a different risk, and i would say you are actually taking fewer risks when you practice splitting smartly and safely. oh but according to you that's impossible right? and all of asia must die every few minutes huh?

Quote:

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Would you split as a group of 2? More than 2?

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
depends. if its riders you know and trust, you can assume they will make the right decisions. you can assume they will give you some room up front to get out of the line. if its with friends, up to 3. if its riders you don't know, assume the have no idea what they are doing. if its a 3 lane road and someone is already splitting between 1 & 2, splitting 2 & 3 is reasonable (provided you were already centered in lane 2 and there is already someone next to you)

actually that reminds me of another thing i never do... don't split unless there is another car next to you. you can't see behind you very well with mirrors, and you DEFINITELY do not want to turn your head all the way to make sure theres not a surprise car. (the guy in front of you slams on his brakes EVERY GOD DAMN TIME YOU DO THIS! DONT DO IT!) so wait until they are next to you and you can see directly behind you so you know another bike isn't coming up... basically make your blind spots meaningless.

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Depends on who I'm riding with. The trip with Alex, Jason, and Cameron, yea we split, on 3 lane roads 2 guys in each split lane and zoom off at the green

Less experienced people? I'll just sit in line so I don't make the other rider do something that makes them uncomfortable
AFM #676

Old December 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #36
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I ride everyday in pretty much all weather (-3C & frosty off the main roads this morning, lashing rain this evening, still found a few opportunities to filter on both journeys)

Keep switched on & have a constant scan going on, ahead is much more important than behind, if you see a gap ahead assume someone will try to cut across into it.

The same as overtaking don't go into it blind, if you don't see somewhere you can merge into, or see ahead to where stopped traffic is beginning to move don't go. If you can see traffic ahead beginning to move you should be able to poach a gap.

Depending on how traffic is moving you're probably better off between lanes 1&2 (on a 2 lanes each way road) than between 2&3. When both directions are stopped & if there's a suitable gap I prefer being between 2&3.

Once traffic is moving above 20mph or so I generally pick a point & get in lane.
@Joshorilla It's generally safer to be out of the way of anything that weighs 20 times my weight. That means not sitting waiting to end up squished between 2 cars. Cage drivers are generally ignorant of how bikes behave & that they can filter in a safe manner. Claiming it's dangerous so adamantly when you've not done it & not shown any evidence gets you lumped in with the cagers.

It's odd how people who don't filter are so quick to claim it's stupidly dangerous, but anyone who rides a bike where it's legal sees it as fine & safe.

Out of the dozen in my group at a post test assessment & training scheme run by the local cops all bar one filtered on a daily basis, the 1 guy who didn't was only back to bikes after 20 years off them & had no confidence on the road.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #37
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
  • Where traffic is moving freely - There's no point
    In a sharp curve- generally a bad idea.
  • The obvious - gravel/frost/ice. Badly cracked up or heavily painted surfaces
  • Straight off.
  • If I'm approaching a merge point I'll fit into a lane & then filter again when I have to (see point 1)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #38
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I ride everyday in pretty much all weather (-3C & frosty off the main roads this morning, lashing rain this evening, still found a few opportunities to filter on both journeys)

Keep switched on & have a constant scan going on, ahead is much more important than behind, if you see a gap ahead assume someone will try to cut across into it.

The same as overtaking don't go into it blind, if you don't see somewhere you can merge into, or see ahead to where stopped traffic is beginning to move don't go. If you can see traffic ahead beginning to move you should be able to poach a gap.

Depending on how traffic is moving you're probably better off between lanes 1&2 (on a 2 lanes each way road) than between 2&3. When both directions are stopped & if there's a suitable gap I prefer being between 2&3.

Once traffic is moving above 20mph or so I generally pick a point & get in lane.
@Joshorilla It's generally safer to be out of the way of anything that weighs 20 times my weight. That means not sitting waiting to end up squished between 2 cars. Cage drivers are generally ignorant of how bikes behave & that they can filter in a safe manner. Claiming it's dangerous so adamantly when you've not done it & not shown any evidence gets you lumped in with the cagers.

It's odd how people who don't filter are so quick to claim it's stupidly dangerous, but anyone who rides a bike where it's legal sees it as fine & safe.

Out of the dozen in my group at a post test assessment & training scheme run by the local cops all bar one filtered on a daily basis, the 1 guy who didn't was only back to bikes after 20 years off them & had no confidence on the road.
Good stuff, thanks Whiskey!

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #39
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
While I appreciate the general discussion on whether lane splitting is a good thing, can we please focus his thread on the questions in my original post?
Aren't filtering and splitting the same thing?

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #40
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I've spent a lot of time riding in LA (my job is in Santa Monica), and at first lane splitting/filtering scared the living beejezus out of me. Now I do it pretty regularly. Here's my approaches, such as they are:
1. Have plenty of room. Okay, you're lane splitting sure -- but if car on the left is hugging right and vice versa then just come to a stop behind them and wait (or 'change lanes' to the next row over if safe); don't push your way through.
2. Only do it when reasonable. I've seen people split to go 65 in 55 traffic -- at these higher speeds it's more likely unexpected 'holes' will open up with unexpected lane changes. My basic rule is I won't do anything if general traffic is above somewhere between 35-45; often less.
3. Be extremely careful when 'merging' into a lane split -- never seen or heard of it happening, but I can imagine pulling in front of another bike lane splitting and bad things (tm) happening.
4. If you're filtering up to a light and it turns green... stay in the lane split and move forward with traffic/at the same rate you were heading. Usually a car to one side or the other will actually back off and let you in; otherwise you can just stay in the split to the next light.

I actually feel 'safest' when splitting/filtering, as strange as it is (Well, except for riding 'traffic free'). Car on either side means it is very unlikely either will do an unexpected lane change into you nor is it likely you'll get rear ended waiting at the light.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote