ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #41
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

thanks guys. yea most of the bikes were 125's. except one or two yamaha 200 dirt bikes and i think one or two 250s. not exactly sure what kind, but were cruiser-styled.

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #42
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Nice, we had a mix of Yami XT225s, CB250s, and like 3 scooters on our range. With your MSF graduate card, CycleGear gives ya 15% off a one time purchase of gear - so if you're "bored", check em out!
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #43
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Nice, we had a mix of Yami XT225s, CB250s, and like 3 scooters on our range. With your MSF graduate card, CycleGear gives ya 15% off a one time purchase of gear - so if you're "bored", check em out!
o no ****? that's cool, i gan get some decent gloves and a decent back protector now haha xD or at least next paycheck

Old January 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #44
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Um, yeah, about that 15%. Just so you know, if you wait a little while, they'll have 50-60% off on stuff.

Old January 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #45
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

ORLY? and why's that?

Old January 10th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #46
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
ORLY? and why's that?
They just do. Right now you can get full face helmets from them for $50 with internal drop down visors on clearance. (But don't buy one unless it fits perfectly.)

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #47
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 (Hers) 2010 Ninja 250 (His)

MSF course in TX is also now required if you want your pumpkin to be uncovered. I know the cool breeze feels good going through your hair, but still, I prefer to keep my brains in my noggin.

I learned some good stuff in my course. Great $190 investment. Who knew that if you want to swerve, you had to push in the direction you wanted to go? That one was a fun learn.

Anyway, rubber side down.

Richard
Zipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #48
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipster View Post
Who knew that if you want to swerve, you had to push in the direction you wanted to go? That one was a fun learn.
Countersteering is an interesting chat with an inexperienced rider. It's always very cool to see the light bulb go off above their head.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #49
n4mwd

It was really confusing when I was a newbie. The MSF teaches to push on the same side which is the best way. The wrong way is to turn the opposite direction. Before the course I got confused and nearly hit a truck.

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #50
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
It was really confusing when I was a newbie. The MSF teaches to push on the same side which is the best way. The wrong way is to turn the opposite direction. Before the course I got confused and nearly hit a truck.
I was laughing with Alex two weeks ago when we were waiting for his wife to pick him up about this whole counter steer thing you guys are always talking about. I raced motorcycles for seven years and didn't learn about counter steering until I started read about it on this forum. Counter steering is something most people master when they're a kid from riding a bicycle. I don't see why all of a sudden getting on a motorcycle people forget the basics they learned as a kid and have to split up in to 4 step and over think a simply process like turning a bike. Now maybe I over estimate how many people ride a bicycle before a motorcycle or maybe I was just born knowing how to ride but it seems like everyone over thinks several simple things involved with riding.

I think when your a kid your mind is not as analytical as when you become an adult so when learning something new you don't over think the multiply processes that go into one function, you simply focus on the end result or the function. When your an adult you always want to know WHY or HOW so you let your mind get bogged down on those instead of IT.

Understand I'm not bashing anyone, I simply have a hard time comprehending riding in the same detail that it seems most street riders do. I think of riding like breathing or running its just second nature.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #51
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
<snip>
I think when your a kid your mind is not as analytical as when you become an adult so when learning something new you don't over think the multiply processes that go into one function, you simply focus on the end result or the function. When your an adult you always want to know WHY or HOW so you let your mind get bogged down on those instead of IT.

<snip>.
When I'm riding my bicycle, the push right go right doesn't come into play. Our instructor said it becomes noticable above 20mph?? Can't remember the figure. So on my unmotored 2 wheeler, if I want to turn right, I pull on the right side handlebar. The gyroscopic affect perhpaps??

Richard

Last futzed with by Zipster; January 10th, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Oh yeah, I snipped the wrong part in my quote..but anyway... ;-)

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #52
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
When I'm riding my bicycle, the push right go right doesn't come into play. Our instructor said it becomes noticable above 20mph?? Can't remember the figure. So on my unmotored 2 wheeler, if I want to turn right, I pull on the right side handlebar. The gyroscopic affect perhpaps??

Richard
If you are moving very slowly, and going around a sharp curve, then yes, you turn the direction you want to go. If you are moving a bit faster, you countersteer. BTW, in many cases, you countersteer to steer. In other words, you push right, lean right, and the wheel then turns right, as if you had pushed left.

But yes, you countersteer, whether you realize it or not. CS comes into play at very low speeds, just less so than higher speeds.

@rojoracing53 , you want to talk about the class being mostly a scam, or a racket, I took the class some 6 years ago, because I was under 21 and had too. I didn't learn a damned thing, having ridden motorcycles before, but whatever. However, my bike took a crap right after that, and I didn't bother turning in my certificate to get the license. (Stupid, I know).

So this time, I wanted to get my license before I had the bike, to make things easier, figured it wouldn't hurt to get a quick refresher anyway. So I pay the 250, make it through the worthless classroom, and go to the skills part. Well, I showed up 2 minutes late, and they wouldn't let me in. The place is fenced in, with a locked gate, and they had let in someone else to take my spot already. After I showed up, the guy looked at me, then went back to giving everyone the little lecture they do at the beginning, then got everyone loaded up on the bikes, then walked over to the fence to ask what I needed. He then had the nerve to tell me that they couldn't let me in 20 minutes late.

Now, they won't give me a refund, or schedule me into another class, they say I can go on as a standby, and hope someone else doesn't show up, but that means showing up at the course at 7 in the morning, when I don't get home from work till 3 in the morning, no thank you.

Nothing but a bunch of crooks. They should be required to train people to be able to pass the DMV test, if they want to give out a certificate that lets them not take the DMV test. Passing a far easier test because you pay them 250 dollars is nothing short of a bribe.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #53
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
sigh......
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #54
Zipster
ninjette.org member

I just did some "research" on countersteering. I guess all along I did use it on the bicycle. Just perhaps not as pronounced as on the motorcycle. When it warms up and dries up around here, I may have to pull the bike off the ceiling mount and investigate further.

Quoted from wiki.. At low speeds countersteering is equally necessary, but the countersteering is then so subtle that it is hidden by the continuous corrections that are made in balancing the bike, often falling below a just noticeable difference or threshold of perception of the rider. Countersteering at low speed may be further concealed by the ensuing much larger steering angle possible in the direction of the turn.

I love physics!

Anyway...I still liked what I learned from my MSF class. Not to mention, only having to take the written portion of the test at the DMV.

Richard

Old January 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #55
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
If you are moving very slowly, and going around a sharp curve, then yes, you turn the direction you want to go. If you are moving a bit faster, you countersteer. BTW, in many cases, you countersteer to steer. In other words, you push right, lean right, and the wheel then turns right, as if you had pushed left.

But yes, you countersteer, whether you realize it or not. CS comes into play at very low speeds, just less so than higher speeds.

@rojoracing53 , you want to talk about the class being mostly a scam, or a racket, I took the class some 6 years ago, because I was under 21 and had too. I didn't learn a damned thing, having ridden motorcycles before, but whatever. However, my bike took a crap right after that, and I didn't bother turning in my certificate to get the license. (Stupid, I know).

So this time, I wanted to get my license before I had the bike, to make things easier, figured it wouldn't hurt to get a quick refresher anyway. So I pay the 250, make it through the worthless classroom, and go to the skills part. Well, I showed up 2 minutes late, and they wouldn't let me in. The place is fenced in, with a locked gate, and they had let in someone else to take my spot already. After I showed up, the guy looked at me, then went back to giving everyone the little lecture they do at the beginning, then got everyone loaded up on the bikes, then walked over to the fence to ask what I needed. He then had the nerve to tell me that they couldn't let me in 20 minutes late.

Now, they won't give me a refund, or schedule me into another class, they say I can go on as a standby, and hope someone else doesn't show up, but that means showing up at the course at 7 in the morning, when I don't get home from work till 3 in the morning, no thank you.

Nothing but a bunch of crooks. They should be required to train people to be able to pass the DMV test, if they want to give out a certificate that lets them not take the DMV test. Passing a far easier test because you pay them 250 dollars is nothing short of a bribe.
I never said the MSF was a scam I may have thought that......oh **** did I just type that

It's my buddy who thinks the class is retarded, I personally wouldn't know since I've never been to the MSF class. I have a general understanding of what It teaches you and I think some individuals given their unusual background don't really need the class.

Old January 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #56
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
HELP

Here's a question that I know I've asked before but have forgotten the answer to.
When you say push right turn right, the push right means push forward with your right hand or push with your left hand to physically turn the wheel to the right? Don't laugh at me because I'm totally serious here, the one question I got wrong on my M-1 written test was the push left, lean left, turn left question I was like WTF and guessed wrong.

Old January 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #57
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Ok, I'll give the push right to go right scenario in 100 words or less a shot.

You are riding along. And you need to quickly swerve to the right. Take your right hand and push the handlebar (in this case the throttle side) away from you. Now you'd think that would turn the wheel to the left and you'd go left, however, you'll go to the right. Push harder, go to that direction harder.

Richard

Old January 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #58
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Ok, I'll give the push right to go right scenario in 100 words or less a shot.

You are riding along. And you need to quickly swerve to the right. Take your right hand and push the handlebar (in this case the throttle side) away from you. Now you'd think that would turn the wheel to the left and you'd go left, however, you'll go to the right. Push harder, go to that direction harder.

Richard
Thanks but in that scenario your bike WOULD initially go left not much but some and your body would fall to the right thus turning you right. This why when your on say the edge of right side of the road you have trouble just steering left because to have to turn the bars and wheel to the right(but theres no room to) to get your body to fall left and turn left.

Thanks ill try and remember when people say push left and push right they're referring to the hand and not the wheel.

Old January 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #59
n4mwd

Quote:
HELP

Here's a question that I know I've asked before but have forgotten the answer to.
When you say push right turn right, the push right means push forward with your right hand or push with your left hand to physically turn the wheel to the right? Don't laugh at me because I'm totally serious here, the one question I got wrong on my M-1 written test was the push left, lean left, turn left question I was like WTF and guessed wrong.
Push on the same side that you are wanting to turn.

BTW, countersteering WAS a problem for me, but now its just automatic. High speed corners are now a personal favorite.

Old January 11th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #60
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
I never said the MSF was a scam I may have thought that......oh **** did I just type that

It's my buddy who thinks the class is retarded, I personally wouldn't know since I've never been to the MSF class. I have a general understanding of what It teaches you and I think some individuals given their unusual background don't really need the class.
Fair enough.

I think it's a scam.
Quote:
HELP

when someone says push right, it means push on the right hand handlebar.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #61
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenny

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Here in Maryland i think the MSF cost me about $300. But it was 3 days and i walked out of there with a full motorcycle license and a discount on insurance. I didn't have to do anything at the MVA other then get my picture taken.
kmcdonald5500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #62
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

*update of sorts
i recieved my DL 389 today and tomorrow's my day off, so I'll be going to the DMV early and taking the written test. hopefully I pass and finally become a licenced rider!
Posted via Mobile Device
StephenA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #63
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Nice and good luck

As a heads up - it's easy but you might need to retake the Class C (Car) written as well. And get to the DMV early...even with an appointment - it took about 2 hrs for me to get sorted through (spent about 45 mins waiting for my tests to be graded), people really started to file in around 10:00 - met another guy taking the test for his M1 fresh from MSF

Old January 18th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #64
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Nice and good luck

As a heads up - it's easy but you might need to retake the Class C (Car) written as well. And get to the DMV early...even with an appointment - it took about 2 hrs for me to get sorted through (spent about 45 mins waiting for my tests to be graded), people really started to file in around 10:00 - met another guy taking the test for his M1 fresh from MSF
Are you saying they don't use computer testing out there? I thought everybody used computer testing. Here, you get your results as soon as you answer the last question.

Old January 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #65
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

thanks. I'll be leaving in a few minutes. and nope, tests are still pen and paper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #66
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

well, i did it! passed both the motorcycle and auto tests perfectly. So I am a permitted rider for six months, then I automatically get my endorsement.

Pretty stoked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #67
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Congrats, man. Keep us posted on your license and bike status.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #68
n4mwd

Quote:
well, i did it! passed both the motorcycle and auto tests perfectly. So I am a permitted rider for six months, then I automatically get my endorsement.

Pretty stoked.
Posted via Mobile Device
congratulations, let us know when you get your ninja.

Old January 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #69
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Are you saying they don't use computer testing out there? I thought everybody used computer testing. Here, you get your results as soon as you answer the last question.
I wish we had computer tests...DMV here seems like someone took all their funding nowadays.

Anyhoo, congrats as well! Now time to find a bike to get bonded with...

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #70
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

I spent the morning riding my brother's shadow 750 and man I love riding. Also, I went to a dealership and sat on a few bikes. I found a 09 250 and it felt good. only thing is it was like 4 grand before taxes and fees. Plus my bro kept askin me if I was sure on that bike. basically if I was thinking about the possibility of out-growing it. what do you guys & gals think?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #71
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Take me for example I'm 20k miles into my 250 and can't see ever getting rid of it, If I buy another bike ill probably still keep the 250.

"Your skills don't outgrow the 250, its only you ego"

Find a used one for a deal that way if you want to sell it then you don't take such a large hit.

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #72
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

how tall are you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #73
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
how tall are you?
Posted via Mobile Device
5'11"

Old January 19th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #74
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Bro wants you on a Honda or he's trying to get the salesguy off your back

Another +1 on starting with a Ninjette or the competition. Decide what's best for you after weighing in on feedback, maybe ask your bro what he might recommend to you as well.

Old January 19th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #75
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Yea thats what I thought. I'm 5'7" 135lbs and I think it'll be perfect for me.

also, my bro is just tryin to make sure I don't waste my money on a bike that I won't enjoy for a very long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #76
n4mwd

Quote:
You might be happier with the pregen because its seat is a inch lower than the newgen. You might as well be comfortable for the next 100,000 miles of your life.

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #77
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:

also, my bro is just tryin to make sure I don't waste my money on a bike that I won't enjoy for a very long time.
Posted via Mobile Device
It like I said, the 250 has enough power if ridden hard to get you into plenty of trouble it the fun sections and with a couple teeth taller gearing its fine for longer trips (I've gone to LA from San Fransisco 3 times the longest way possible). Even though 250 has crap suspension compared to a SS 600 or 1000 you'll never feel it on the street "NEVER" and if your planning track days the difference is suspension also won't matter until you fast enough to win races. The only thing a 250 lacks and this is obvious is the instant strait line squirt if you want to gun in from 0-100mph once in awhile. If you think your personality can cope with not being able to have that power for no other reason then to feel the exhilaration of riding a rocket from time to time the the 250 will be fine.

Now when I preach that I love my 250 and don't plan on ever selling it but it satisfies me and I don't need 100+ HP. That's because back when I was a professional racer I raced everything from a 6hp YSR50 to a 220HP Yamaha R71 factory formula extreme bike and everything in between along the way. So although I'm capable of handling even the fastest street machine with ease I've also gone close to 200mph enough times that no matter how fast of a bike I had for the street it would never come close to satisfying my sense of thrill. So with that in mind instead of riding something that's a little fun in a strait line(my personal skewed opinion) I choose to ride something that is properly powered to make the streets fill like a racetrack. Where as a 600 on the streets fills like a ninja 250 going around your local mini golf bumper car track, its just to much machine for the course.

Sorry if I'm rambling but but you can just skip this last part but I'll type for those who understand cars. Getting a 250 is like owning a full race built lotus Elise, its not fast in a strait line but its great in the corners easy to handle and makes carving a canyon or track a blast. Whereas a super sport 600 or larger is like driving around in a dodge viper, its super fast in the straits but with the power you always have to hold back so you don't loose it and it tends to make a fun canyon road feel claustrophobic.

I wish the manufacturers would make a 250 option with the technology used in the current SS even if it costed 9k it'd cool cool to have the option but then again it just gives us room to have fun with our upgrades just look at my Better brakes on a ninja 250 thread to see where you could end up

Hope this helps a little

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #78
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
You should PM @CycleCam303 about outgrowing a 250. He's had his for about 4 months and loves it but at the same time he always lusting for a CBR600 simply because he's never felt the forbidden power. Your always going to want to know the unknown. Cyclecam is a very modest, fast and talented kid with an honest opinion of what you will be going though this year.

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #79
kmcdonald5500
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenny

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

If you don't mind spending a little bit more money i say get the new 300. Those bikes look so sick and are very new-rider friendly from what i've read. And they are a little bit more powerful than the 250.
kmcdonald5500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #80
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcdonald5500 View Post
If you don't mind spending a little bit more money i say get the new 300. Those bikes look so sick and are very new-rider friendly from what i've read. And they are a little bit more powerful than the 250.