ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Name: mitch

Motorcycle(s): Green Ninja 250 2008!!!!

Cornering Practice (with video)

Hey guys, jumped on Archion, got my new gopro all mounted up, and went out for some cornering practice!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I think I linked it correctly, if not heres the link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a76Ga_qiWdc

Tell me what you think guys

Halfway through some idiot pulls in my lane , kinda funny. Also you get to see the horrid traffic going on in my city atm , the cars in the other lane never move that much if you pay attention.

greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Stop going over the white line.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
Hey guys, jumped on Archion, got my new gopro all mounted up, and went out for some cornering practice!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I think I linked it correctly, if not heres the link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a76Ga_qiWdc

Tell me what you think guys

Halfway through some idiot pulls in my lane , kinda funny. Also you get to see the horrid traffic going on in my city atm , the cars in the other lane never move that much if you pay attention.

Wow stop cutting the corner.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

You're in corona ca right? Post up that you want to go on a canyon ride in the group ride section. I'm sure the locals will take you out. While I kinda get the practicing the same turn over and over again I don't think it will do much if anything for your riding.

Going with a more experienced rider through varying twists and little traffic with some self control would be way more beneficial. Watching someone else and getting towed around will help.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
"I can't turn left."

On a serious note though. I am no expert so take what I say with grain of salt but IMO it looks like you are turning in to early and cutting most of the corners to close and potentially teaching yourself a bad habit. Think you need better line choice, sure you can get away with that on that particular curve or at the track but if that was a blind left hander on a tight mountain road and next thing you know there is a big dual wheel truck coming the other way riding the double yellow I would anticipate that you would crash.

Sure use the whole road but practice giving yourself a buffer on the lines so that way when that big truck does come you have comfort space and can just keep on keepin on.

Practice enough and things become muscle memory and again this is not something you want to be doing on every corner/turn. Start developing good habits now and commit those to muscle memory

be safe

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
"I can't turn left."

On a serious note though. I am no expert so take what I say with grain of salt but IMO it looks like you are turning in to early and cutting most of the corners to close and potentially teaching yourself a bad habit. Think you need better line choice, sure you can get away with that on that particular curve or at the track but if that was a blind left hander on a tight mountain road and next thing you know there is a big dual wheel truck coming the other way riding the double yellow I would anticipate that you would crash.

Sure use the whole road but practice giving yourself a buffer on the lines so that way when that big truck does come you have comfort space and can just keep on keepin on.

Practice enough and things become muscle memory and again this is not something you want to be doing on every corner/turn. Start developing good habits now and commit those to muscle memory

be safe
Thanks! I appreciate the tips, I was trying to do it track style, and yeah I guess I didnt really explain why it was all right handed, obviously traffic was hogging the left handed turn at that time haha, I'm gonna shoot some left handers today Ill try to keep to the center of the lane like you advised for safety reasons, awesome advice.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
You're in corona ca right? Post up that you want to go on a canyon ride in the group ride section. I'm sure the locals will take you out. While I kinda get the practicing the same turn over and over again I don't think it will do much if anything for your riding.

Going with a more experienced rider through varying twists and little traffic with some self control would be way more beneficial. Watching someone else and getting towed around will help.
I tried posting for an inland empire group ride but didn't get any responses, should i just post "Looking for Twisties guide in corona ca"?

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #8
fishdip

Quote:
I was trying to do it track style, .

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Wow stop cutting the corner.
Arent I supposed to? IE make my line as straight as possible? Thats what MSF told me atleast...

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #10
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

Yeah like subxero said, you're definitely turning in too early. Locate the turn point (where the turn is gonna happen), turn your head to the exit, flop the bike, throttle out, done.

Check out the thread I wrote up on Lee Parks' class; it will definitely help you on turns.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #11
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

All I see is the vid looping. What am I missing?

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
^be wary of this, it can be just as detrimental as helpful. If you are going to go for a ride with a more experienced rider, make sure it is someone who does not have an ego and that they fully understand that you are a NEW rider and you would like to follow them at a very law-abiding comfortable pace. And that you simply want to follow and mimic body position, line choice, braking ect... and that it would be nice if they know a particular section that is good for a certain technique that you should really focus on that during that section to maybe pull over and say (EXAMPLE) "HEY, there are some double apex turns coming up, pay close attention to line choice and turn in points"

It should be more of a clinic than a "Try and keep up" Otherwise you won't learn crap other than how to get yourself into trouble in a hurry.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #14
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Yeah like subxero said, you're definitely turning in too early. Locate the turn point (where the turn is gonna happen), turn your head to the exit, flop the bike, throttle out, done.

Check out the thread I wrote up on Lee Parks' class; it will definitely help you on turns.
I thought I was supposed to enter the corner from the outside, touch the inside, and leave the corner again on the outside? :/

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #15
fishdip

Quote:
Arent I supposed to? IE make my line as straight as possible? Thats what MSF told me atleast...
Msf told you to ride on the street not in a bike lane.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #16
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I'm taking the same corner trying to master it, I guess that was a wrong decision... lots of flame...

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #17
fishdip

Your first one is the only one you did half right.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #18
fishdip

Quote:
I'm taking the same corner trying to master it, I guess that was a wrong decision... lots of flame...
Flame for not staying in your lane. You can learn how to corner but you need to follow the laws of the road still.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #19
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Your first one is the only one you did half right.
As in I didnt cut through the bike lane? Is that where I need to improve in your eyes? IE the inside point of my corner should be the outside of the bike lane at most? otherwise im cutting?

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #20
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Flame for not staying in your lane. You can learn how to corner but you need to follow the laws of the road still.
Okay, fair enough, I'll make sure I dont cut the bike lane

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #22
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Outside-inside-outside is one thing, touching that white line is something else. There could be a lot of debris there because tires from most cars on the road won't go that close to the curb, in the rain that paint will be slick; sure it's dry now but why reinforce a habit that you should get rid of anyway?

Secondly the more time you spent leaned over the less traction you have for acceleration, braking, and line adjustment. Instead of starting the turn early and do a long stretch of minor leans and compromised traction and limited sight line, it tends to be safer to spend more time looking through the exit to make sure nothing's coming (after you locate the turn point and see there's nothing in the way) then do 1 single quick turn and get the bike back up. Your cornering speed will be faster and you're less likely to be surprised with half way through a turn and oh no a car's in my lane.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #23
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
No comments? I was hoping for more good input from guys like you and less flame, gonna make a less ****** video i guess

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #24
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Be easy. Green you are following the right idea of starting from the outside going to the inside (apex) of the corner and then exiting to the outside. You're making an arc. What these guys are complaining about is that your clipping point is beyond what is considered your lane. You are crossing into the bicycle lane. That's not kosher for many people. That's what they mean by stay in your lane.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #25
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
You can't ride the street like your at the track especially with line choice. Yes at the track you want to come from outside, hit the apex throttle out towards the outside again. But on the street there is no reason to try and hit this highspeed precise line. Odds are you probably aren't going that fast and taking a line like you are in Isle of Man isn't necessary and has no advantage over a safer line.

Not sure how it is in Cali but here in PA the insides of the corners and the outside on the double yellow is where all the grit and gravel collects, another reason to say off the edges.

Its not a ****** video, I think its very insightful and hopefully you are getting what you wanted out of it, some constructive criticism that will hopefully point you in the direction of becoming a better rider.

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #26
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Don't be that sensitive btw; these guys haven't even started picking on you. Thicker skin goes hand in hand with posting on public forums, especially when it comes to posting videos and pictures.

At the end of the day we're all here looking for more information about something we all like to do, and none of us like seeing people getting hurt or getting dead doing it because it could be prevented by additional education and practice sessions. Some of us do that with positive reinforcement by handing out info, some of us do that with negative by poking fun at you when you screw something up. Both have the same intent and if you're thick-skinned enough and receptive enough, you'll learn from both kinds of replies.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Outside, inside, outside works. But treat that white line like a wall. Your lane does not continue beyond it.

If you get in the habit of cutting corners you'll rob yourself of a safety buffer around blind corners. There could be anything from rocks, to drains, to gravel, to pedestrians hanging out there.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #28
fishdip

Quote:
Okay, fair enough, I'll make sure I dont cut the bike lane
Yep you don't want to do this do you?
http://youtu.be/dNFaAqS2f18

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
It's not looping, it just the same corner over and over.

Quote:
No comments? I was hoping for more good input from guys like you and less flame, gonna make a less ****** video i guess
Ok, I will play. I applaud your dedication to practice, to do the same right hand turn over and over would drive me insane.

Honestly though brah, when watching this video I can't take my eyes off the traffic in the other lane and sometimes ahead of you. I really hope you find a more suitable location for you next practice session. And if you cannot find an alternative location, maybe a time of day with less traffic would be in order.

As far as your riding goes, your on the right track but somewhat inconsistent though. Check you lane placement on exit and where you turn in. Pick some reference points that support a good line w/ good throttle control and hit them every time. For example; the line that everyone seems to have an issue with putting you in the pedal bike lane.

There are a few in there that are nice but the first one was the best, smooth commitment to the turn but not lazy steering, good entry speed and solid throttle roll throughout. Try to make em all look like that.

I fully expect a lot more left turns in your next video.

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Also, I must ask... Is there any specific reason for picking this corner to practice? Working on something specific?

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #31
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thats just target fixation, and in california, motorcyclists ride in the bike lane to split every single day, very common. Sometimes its the only way to get around traffic. The bicyclists are rarely in the bike lane, usually they just hang out in the middle of the street like they own it. People dont even stop at stop signs (as in they blow through full speed not a care in the world) and everyone goes 10 over the speed limit, the freeways go 80-90 MPH everywhere no matter what the speed limit is.

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #32
fishdip

Quote:
Thats just target fixation, and in california, motorcyclists ride in the bike lane to split every single day, very common. Sometimes its the only way to get around traffic. The bicyclists are rarely in the bike lane, usually they just hang out in the middle of street like they own it.
It is target fixation just like your fixation for the crack at the start of the concrete.

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #33
fishdip

Quote:
Thats just target fixation, and in california, motorcyclists ride in the bike lane to split every single day, very common. Sometimes its the only way to get around traffic. The bicyclists are rarely in the bike lane, usually they just hang out in the middle of street like they own it.
And just because its common dose not make it safe or legal.

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #34
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ok, trying for some helpful advice this time:

Where did you take your MSF? Is it someplace public (school, dealership, DMV lot)? When I first started riding, I went back to the school parking lot where they held the MSF as those corners were painted onto the pavement and I just did laps for a few hours in both directions to reinforce what I had just learned.

If you can't get back to the MSF range, pop down to Wal-Mart and grab a bag of tennis balls. Lop those in half (kitchen knife works) and go find a large lot where you can set them out into an arc or a circle. I set up a 24' diameter circle (just use your helmet to anchor the center, walk around with a 12' string, and set the half balls down) and then rode around and around and around. Helps with u-turns!

Or if that fails, seriously, find an emptier place. With so much going on around you you can't focus on the skill of cornering as fully as it seems you are wanting to. Empty neighborhoods, roads on the edge of town, even just go to a large parking lot and turn into each aisle at the far end.

Keep up the practicing!!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #35
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It is target fixation just like your fixation for the crack at the start of the concrete.
Yes, target fixating into bicyclists on a straight is the same thing as looking at my apex in my corner, congratz. Stop posting in this thread please.

Everyone else thanks for the awesome tips! I'm currently pumping out another video (Yes with more left handers, its much more diverse) but my computer sucks atm so it might be an hour or two

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #36
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Ok, trying for some helpful advice this time:

Where did you take your MSF? Is it someplace public (school, dealership, DMV lot)? When I first started riding, I went back to the school parking lot where they held the MSF as those corners were painted onto the pavement and I just did laps for a few hours in both directions to reinforce what I had just learned.

If you can't get back to the MSF range, pop down to Wal-Mart and grab a bag of tennis balls. Lop those in half (kitchen knife works) and go find a large lot where you can set them out into an arc or a circle. I set up a 24' diameter circle (just use your helmet to anchor the center, walk around with a 12' string, and set the half balls down) and then rode around and around and around. Helps with u-turns!

Or if that fails, seriously, find an emptier place. With so much going on around you you can't focus on the skill of cornering as fully as it seems you are wanting to. Empty neighborhoods, roads on the edge of town, even just go to a large parking lot and turn into each aisle at the far end.

Keep up the practicing!!
I'll probably do this tonight, or I might cruise around looking for an empty daytime parking lot but that'd be hard. My MSF class was 15 miles down the freeway in a locked up albertsons HQ building parkinglot

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #37
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

I do apologize to everyone about cutting the corner (honestly the dangers of that had not even occurred to me, it makes absolute sense and I will try not to do so in the future.

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #38
fishdip

Quote:
Yes, target fixating into bicyclists on a straight is the same thing as looking at my apex in my corner, congratz. Stop posting in this thread please.

Everyone else thanks for the awesome tips! I'm currently pumping out another video (Yes with more left handers, its much more diverse) but my computer sucks atm so it might be an hour or two
Don't get mad at me for your lack of safe control of a motorcycle. Lets hope your next video you chose to do in a more appropriate place with a better mind set then trying to take it like your at the (track )

Old July 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #39
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Holy ****!!! That was nuts!

Quote:
I do apologize to everyone about cutting the corner (honestly the dangers of that had not even occurred to me, it makes absolute sense and I will try not to do so in the future.

Why would you apologize to us? We're not hurt by your video or your riding. I think some of the folks commenting are trying to keep you from that painful fate. It's easy to get defensive by smart ass comments. I'm guilty of it too. Take the meaning behind those suggestions and learn from it.
By the way, don't try track riding when you're riding the street. Sign up for a track day. I have ridden a technical corner or two in my years of riding...imagine coming around a blind curve to this....I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don_truck.jpg (12.1 KB, 12 views)

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #40
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
One more tip. Painted lines are slippery. Avoid touching paint when leaned over.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote