20-40% 16 14.95%
0-10% 17 15.89%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #161
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Earlier I went to the dmv website and took the practice test for a motorcycle license for the heck of it. One of the question asks "What brake do you use when coming to a stop" and the answers were "front brake", "rear brake" or "both". Just so uninformed people know, the answer is "both" for the test. I just wanted to clarify for any future riders that may be reading this prior to taking the test or msf course.

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #162
Raven
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post

I wouldnt ride a bike without a front brake.
You really can ride it without front brake if you don't ride aggressive. Beside this small town I live in is very mellowed with driving so I have nothing to worry.

Just use common sense and be prepared more, that is all.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #163
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
A lady at my MSF course did the exact same thing. Too much front brake too quick while doing the emergency braking test. I felt very bad for her as she was older and had a ton of enthusiasm about riding and motorcycles. She still passed the test and bought a Suzuki 250 cruiser to ride around.
There are a few things that will contribute to someone flying over the front handlebars when emergency braking, it is not simply that they used the front brake only. I use my front brake only for emergency stopping on a sportbike, I can stop pretty damn quick, and have never gone over the bars.

Usually if someone goes over the bars (the bike stopies and then flips over) it is because they made a few errors, including;
-being too jabby and too quick with the front brake, this is different than being fast, smooth and applying the front brake hard.

-not letting go or releasing pressure on the front brake. Maximum braking is achieved when the front begins to skid and slide or when the rear begins to lift off the pavement. In both of these situations the rider needs to lessen the pressure on the brake lever to stop sliding or stop the rear from coming up. If you keep holding the front brake with the same pressure while the rear is rising it will continue to do so until the rider flips up and over.

-allowing your weight to slam into the front of the bike. When you get on the brakes hard and aren't squeezing the tank with your knees your body will slam forward into the tank and increase the risk that you will go over the handlebars.

-having tense, stiff and straight arms. If your arms are tense, stiff and straight you will have less control of your bike in the even that it begins to stopie or slide. Riders will often tuck the front when it begins to skid because they are putting too much pressure on one or both of the handlebars. Sometimes they get into a tank slapper because of this reason too or they go over the bars.

Overall, I think proper technique when emergency braking, whether you use front only or front and rear combined is extremely important in preventing crashes, either due to flipping over the handlebars, skidding the front or rear and crashing, or to not stopping quickly enough and hitting that which you were trying to avoid.

Practice is key so that you don't panic when you have to emergency brake.

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #164
GetBusyLiving
I'm Fun Size not short.

Name: G-Hop

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250r

To rear brake or not to rear brake.....

I've had my ninja for about 3 weeks now and defintely love it. During my MSF class it was taught to use the front and rear brake when stopping/braking. I had nicely fine tuned this muscle memory until a few days ago when a veteran cruiser rider informed me not to EVER use my rear brake. I tried not using it on the way home and I obviously needed more time to stop and it felt odd not using it however now I am just confused and would like some advice from other sport bike and/or Ninja riders.

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #165
p4174w
nooblet

Name: P

Motorcycle(s): 1994 ex250

I use it every day. I find it really useful at slow speeds and coming to a stop. Makes it much smoother. I have heard of people not using it at all and have tried myself, but I find I have much more control when using both breaks. I do not use it if I’m just slowing down for a short period of time, like if a car in front of my is turning.
p4174w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #166
pucktoplay1
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

personally I think its personal preference. If you never use your rear brake then the parts that make it work could become stuck and your brake rotor will begin to build up rust. I use my rear brake at low speeds in the parking lot and I always use both rear and front when braking from high speeds as taught in the MSF course. I think the point of using both is to evenly distribute the braking force to each wheel to prevent wheel lockups if I remember correctly. Just my experience.
pucktoplay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #167
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

I've been riding for a couple months shy of a year. I use the rear to compliment the front. Unless i'm in a parking lot, in which case, I use the rear because it's easier to manage the bike at low speeds with the rear brake.

the general rule is (and you'll see it in any of the other riding skills threads. browse through there, and you'll learn some cool stuff) is that the front provides your main stopping power, and the rear.... well, as you've noticed, it helps.

I'm guessing what that dude was afraid of was if you use the rear brake as a primary.... because locking up the rear wheel is not so fun (if you didn't mean to lock it up, lol).

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #168
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi G-Hop - we have a couple of long-running and reasonably informative threads on this very topic. I'm going to merge this one into one of those, which will allow the discussion to continue as well as make it easier for folks to find. These are linked off of the sticky at the top of the riding skills area.

/thread merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #169
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

What Sharkry NRK sed:
I use my rear brake alot, but i will only use the front if i am just trying to scrub a bit of speed, mostly because i will already have set my body into position and would rather not upset the bike unecessarily. normal stopping 75-85% front with the balance for the rear.

I do alot of engine braking though.
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #170
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i use my front/rear at the same time probably 95% of the time i hit the brakes.. very rarely use just the front or rear unless maybe creeping to a stop at slow speeds ill use just the front.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #171
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
+1, same here. Usually every stop.
+1 I use my rear every time, I haven't locked my back brakes yet. To me it almost seems natural, maybe cause I did some dirt bike riding as a kid (but even then it wasn't that much experience).

It takes just a light push w your toe, using the ball of foot maybe part of the problem.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #172
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Before, I only use the front brake and very rarely the rear, but after reading this article about emergency/quick stop, I've learned that using the rear is a must.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #173
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
MSF is trying to keep people with extremely limited experience from hurting themselves, and that's valid, but just understand that as folks gain experience, each and every piece of advice that may have been applicable at low speeds for a newbie may become less relevant over time. Not because it was wrong, but because as people gain skills they can start to worry about more than the basics, and techniques to control the bike in even wider areas of performance.

Very wise words. It's been over 2 years and 20,000+ miles since I posted this original thread, and now I completely understand what you're saying here. MSF teaches "best practices", but once we grow as riders, we adapt to what is best for our individual bikes and our own skill level. The rear brake is your friend, but only in certain stops. I would never use it at high speeds or in an emergency. Just my

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #174
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

i agree completely-when i started riding i used a lot of rear brake,especially coming from a dirt bike background-as i progressed over the years and became more roadrace oriented-front brake only-rear is for u-turns and redlights and when you run off track with a lot of dirt runoff
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:16 PM   #175
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

How often/when do you use your rear brake..?

I'd say I use my rear brake 80-90% of the time. I use it along with my front brake when coming to a stop, when making slow speed turn (ex. turning into a plaza), and when moving around at low speed.

I found using the rear brake in combination with the clutch help stabilize the bike at slow speed. when I first started, I would use the front brake but the bike would launch forward and make it almost impossible to maneuver it around places that require slow speed. since using the rear brake and the clutch while controlling the throttle, I can almost bring the bike to a dead stop without putting my foot down. it's like riding a bicycle all over again. The bike felt so smooth that way...

Tell me... how often or when do you use your rear brake?
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:25 PM   #176
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
not as much as i should.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #177
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I also use it pretty much whenever I'm using my front brake.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #178
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There are a good number of rear brake threads on this site already. I'm hesitant to have another threadfest discussing the issue from scratch, as it always becomes unnecessarily contentious.

Here is the link to the Riding Skills Threads sticky.

Some threads on rear braking linked from there: Thread 1 Thread 2

Another good thread on topic: Using Rear Brake...

We'll see where the poll goes, but I have a hankering to merge this in with one of the others if it goes too far astray.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #179
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ur face is unnecessarily contentious.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #180
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

About 40% of the time I estimate. 100% of the time when doing slow speed maneuvers.

I am working on using it more often.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:43 PM   #181
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
ur face is unnecessarily contentious.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:44 PM   #182
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

Every time I use the front brakes, as my MSF instructors taught me to.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM   #183
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Learn to use it correctly & you'll really cut your braking distance, when used right you can feel the bike squat down under braking rather than just have the front dive. For non emergency braking you want to go progressively harder on the front & similarly progressive on the rear (don't stomp on it, fine control is required, if that means you have to sit up on the bike & get a feel for the rear brake pedal's travel while stationary go for it)

Bringing the bike to a complete stop from a reasonable pace use the front & some back to get your pace down, at low speed (walking pace or a little faster) ease off the front & bring the bike to a stop with more rear than front.

For slow control don't touch the front, don't even cover the front lever it's all biting point of the clutch & rear brake. The revs should be steady if you're doing slow control drills
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM   #184
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I don't normally quote myself but.... I haven't seen anything better regarding this subject.

Quote:
Plan on developing a long term relationship with your rear brake, because it will take that long to find what works for you as a rider. There is a time and place for it's beneficial usage. It has more to offer than just panic or low speed maneuvers but is different for each rider's preference.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #185
Alex
ninjette.org dude

/moiged

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #186
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
will rear brake keep my rear wheel on the ground braking into turn 1

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #187
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

I use both... Usually start with the rear then follow up with smooth front application for normal stops. For emergency stops I've gotten so used to the rear locking up that it isn't a big deal anymore so I'll usually hit the rear brake hard then smoothly but quickly rip that front brake in... If you have to lock one tire up, it better not be your front.
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:34 PM   #188
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Agreed with many. My first year of riding, all I heard was not to use the rear, so I didn't. Once I learned how to appropriately use it, I have LOVED it! Yes, it smooths out complete and especially rolling stops. I use mine all the time, but I wouldn't in a panic stop. I practice panic stops, but weighing the risk with the benefits, I, personally, don't think the risk of locking it up is worth the benefits I would receive in a real hard braking situation when the rear tire lifts off the ground slightly anyway. The rear brake is ultimately rendered useless, but if applied correctly at the beginning of a panic stop, it can certainly help. It's just a matter of each person weighing his/her comfort and risk level to determine your stance on using the rear brake.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #189
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbpf View Post
I use both... Usually start with the rear then follow up with smooth front application for normal stops. For emergency stops I've gotten so used to the rear locking up that it isn't a big deal anymore so I'll usually hit the rear brake hard then smoothly but quickly rip that front brake in... If you have to lock one tire up, it better not be your front.
I thought they say you're better off locking the front tire than the rear one?

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #190
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I'm pretty sure this was one of my very first posts ever on this site. It's still one of my favorites.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:55 PM   #191
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Agreed with many. My first year of riding, all I heard was not to use the rear, so I didn't. Once I learned how to appropriately use it, I have LOVED it! Yes, it smooths out complete and especially rolling stops. I use mine all the time, but I wouldn't in a panic stop. I practice panic stops, but weighing the risk with the benefits, I, personally, don't think the risk of locking it up is worth the benefits I would receive in a real hard braking situation when the rear tire lifts off the ground slightly anyway. The rear brake is ultimately rendered useless, but if applied correctly at the beginning of a panic stop, it can certainly help. It's just a matter of each person weighing his/her comfort and risk level to determine your stance on using the rear brake.
me to
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM   #192
dalaniz
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I mainly use my front brake and softly apply my rear brake every time.
dalaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM   #193
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I'll use the rear just a bit less then the front when stopping in general and if I'm going downhill or want to slow down just a bit i'll drag them. I never stop with them alone.
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:40 AM   #194
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
The poll results are interesting. Almost a 4-way tie!

Old March 23rd, 2013, 02:19 PM   #195
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
The poll results are interesting. Almost a 4-way tie!
More pple need to vote..it's their right as citizens of the forum.. ah ah.. (bad joke)

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #196
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

I use both brakes almost every time braking is required. I just use the rear much more delicately. This is on the street of course, unpaved surfaces are a different game. Off pavement I almost exclusively use the rear.

People who are afraid of the rear brake would benefit a great deal from doing some off road riding, where sliding the rear is par for the course, and the front brake will get you in trouble fast. Once comfortable with braking off road, breaking the rear loose on pavement seems much less scary.

Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:26 PM   #197
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
I thought they say you're better off locking the front tire than the rear one?
Well, Maybe 'they' say that... But If all your weight is on the front of your bike (as is in an emergency bike) wouldn't you want the tire bearing all of the weight to have traction?
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #198
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbpf View Post
Well, Maybe 'they' say that... But If all your weight is on the front of your bike (as is in an emergency bike) wouldn't you want the tire bearing all of the weight to have traction?
Yes, it is best not to lock any brake, but if you are on a sport bike and you are given a choice of locking the front or back, LOCK THE FRONT.

High sides hurt way more then low sides.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #199
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Slow speed front... Normal to fast both as taught in the MSF, dunno why I don't always use both as taught, but different strokes
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #200
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

With a locked rear you still have a reasonable amount of control over the motorcycle. Lock the front and you have no control over the motorcycle.

This is assuming you are an average to below average rider as most here are.

Avoid locking the front at all cost............ The only exception to this is during racing conditions. On some tracks there are corners that you can slide(not lock but slide) the front end through.

Last futzed with by drac; March 24th, 2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: .
drac is offline   Reply With Quote