ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

First 500 Miles on my Ninjette

Wow what a rush it has been! I've taken the MSF and have been progressing gradually and finally began making my 60 mile roundtrip commute to work this week after 300 warmup miles (which took a month to reach). Here's what I dislike about my bike:

Dislike:
1. Buzzing at cruising speeds 45-55mph
2. Useless 1st gear
3. Highway winds at 80mph
4. Looks a like a little bike to me.
5. Generally High RPMs
6. Skiddish rear tire

My plan has always been to learn the necessary skills on my ninjette before getting a larger 2nd bike. Like many of you my plans for the 2nd include the fz6 and 650r. I thought 1500 miles would be enough to make me comfortable to upgrade but I feel like i'm ready now. Though I know this is still the right bike for me right now. Problem is now that I'm using it everyday I can tell I will quickly grow tired of the constant buzzyness, being blown around the interstate, and shifting out of 1st midway through turns.

I'm considering whether to continue riding my ninjette or upgrade now. I've quickly grown a sentimental attachment to this bike but the downsides do bother me. Mostly, I hate the feel from my rear tire. It has plenty of tread left on it (2400 miles on bike) but I often feel like it is going to slide on me during mild cornering. Perhaps part mental, but I have felt it lose traction when I know if shouldn't.

My question is whether I should drop 200 for a new set of tires and ride a couple thousand miles, or save the money and upgrade my bike sooner.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

More miles. When do you feel the rear tire slipping when you think it shouldn't?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
More miles. When do you feel the rear tire slipping when you think it shouldn't?
I figure more miles will be the concensus, and it makes perfect sense to me. I just don't feel confident with that rear. I've felt it twice in particular both on clean dry road. Once accelerating out of a low speed right turn. I did accelerate while slightly leaned but it was a moderate aceleration. The combination of throttle and lean angle should definately not have produced and loss of traction - and I believe would not have on a wider tire. The second time in a smooth wide arching curve at about 40mph. While applying maintenance throttle with moderate lean I felt it lose trac for a millisecond.
Keep in mind I'm talking about noob lean angles not knee dragging. Throttle application in both instances was smooth (no compression braking).

Old March 21st, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

I'll add that I'm not opposed to staying on the 250 because there are more pros than cons but I do plan to go larger in the near future. Just hurts to put money into it to make it fit my purpose better. Already sunk $85 in a DB, $40 for 650 mirrors, new kickstand, and adding $200 to change tires would hurt if I don't keep it long.

I guess in the grand scheme those will end up being small costs during my motorcycle career.

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'd love to give you some longwinded advice about why you should keep the 250 but I just don't have the energy so I'll keep it simple.

1. Bikes buzz, my 650 buzzes
2. First gear is fine, when starting into a turn accelerate a bit then shift to 2nd and start your turn. Riding a 250 can sometimes require more skill than a larger bike
3. You're going to get blown around on any sportbike. While larger bikes won't get blown as much its not a huge difference. If you want to evade the wind get a touring

5. Whats not to like about high rpms? It's a sportbike afterall
6. I took the stock IRC tires way past their usable life, up to around 12k miles. In that time I did a lot of riding in the rain, on the streets, and in the twisties. I'll tell you for sure that new tires feel way better, but I never had a fear of the stock tires slipping out from under me. I've scraped pegs in the twisties on the IRC tires, they aren't going to fail you on the streets in dry conditions. I really would suggest new tires though, they are confidence inspiring despite the fact that I could not even ride the IRCs to their limits. I'd recommend BT45s and keeping your 250 for at least a year.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM   #6
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

+1 on BT45s

Try tucking in open high wind areas. Can really help on those crosswinds. But really, it is just something you have to get used to. I found the 650 to buzz more than my old ninjette.

I find my current single to buzz less, go figure.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

How many of your miles are twisties? The 250 is okay for the freeway but ridiculous on more technical roads.

Also, not a gold standard or anything but practice taking the tightest U-turn you can on the 250. Try to make it so you can comfortably do it in under 1-lane on the other side and if you can find a parking lot, try the other direction. Just one of the fun things I like to do to keep it entertaining. Plus, making a U-turn that tight looks badass on the road.

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM   #8
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

Like Jiggles said.. bikes buzz. Just got the '12 650 5 days ago.. it buzzes at certain rpms.

@Jiggles still no license plates for the 650?
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
Like Jiggles said.. bikes buzz. Just got the '12 650 5 days ago.. it buzzes at certain rpms.

@Jiggles still no license plates for the 650?
Old photos. But then again, he's being lazy with the license plates.

Buzzing, at certain rpms, it's the natural resonance of the bike. For my 250 it's around 9k. Works for me because I like to keep it at 10k+ most of the time. Other times its at like 6-7k.

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Old photos. But then again, he's being lazy with the license plates.

Buzzing, at certain rpms, it's the natural resonance of the bike. For my 250 it's around 9k. Works for me because I like to keep it at 10k+ most of the time. Other times its at like 6-7k.
Lol. Yeah for me thus far I've only noticed it around 4-5k rpms in 1st and 2nd gear.. haven't felt it higher than 2nd.
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I have the plates, somewhere, idk, its nice not being able to get a ticket
AFM #676

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:31 AM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
How many of your miles are twisties? The 250 is okay for the freeway but ridiculous on more technical roads.

Also, not a gold standard or anything but practice taking the tightest U-turn you can on the 250. Try to make it so you can comfortably do it in under 1-lane on the other side and if you can find a parking lot, try the other direction. Just one of the fun things I like to do to keep it entertaining. Plus, making a U-turn that tight looks badass on the road.
I primarily ride my bike to and from work which consists of 10 interstate miles and 20 miles of country road. For the near future I don't see myself getting into twisties and canyon carving. I prefer cruising the country and even the interstates over twisties.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:34 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
6. Skiddish rear tire
You may want to try reducing the pressure, like 0.5 psi at a time.
At the end of your long trip, take your glove off and touch the tire.
If it is cold, it is safe to reduce some more pressure and test again.

Take note of the pressure at which the temperature is high but not too uncomfortable for your bare hand.

Little skids will not develop into a big one, unless you are riding at extremes.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #14
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

600 miles and you're ready to upgrade? It took me a few thousand miles on my Ninjette to really start to feel comfortable taking turns fast and riding smoothly. I rode my 250 for 8,000 miles before I upgraded...
I wouldn't rush into a bigger bike when you haven't even come close to mastering the 250 yet.

You can do the 15T front sprocket mod and that will smooth out the vibes a bit and let you shift into second a little later. It was one of the best mods I did on my bike and I highly recommend it. Finally, I get blown around just as much on my FZ6 as I did on my 250. The FZ6 is heavier, harder to do slow speed maneuvers with, and harder to work on than the 250. All reasons to really get comfortable with your little bike before upgrading.

Then again, the rush past 8K RPM on the FZ6 is exhilarating
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM   #15
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

@Jiggles - I appreciate the response seeing as you have a 650. Plenty of good reasons to keep the 250 but sometime within the next year I will trade to something that fits my riding interests a bit better. At most I'll put 5000 miles on it this year and trade up next year. Just a matter of how long I should wait. I may end up on a tourer like you suggested but I prefer the look of a sport bike and would likely look for a sport bike that can be a good sport tourer.

Thanks for you advice on the tires. I will probably just get new ones. Rosso II and BT seem to be concensus 1 and 2 on this board so I'll go with one of those for how ever long I rock my 250.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:59 AM   #16
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
600 miles and you're ready to upgrade? It took me a few thousand miles on my Ninjette to really start to feel comfortable taking turns fast and riding smoothly. I rode my 250 for 8,000 miles before I upgraded...
I wouldn't rush into a bigger bike when you haven't even come close to mastering the 250 yet.

You can do the 15T front sprocket mod and that will smooth out the vibes a bit and let you shift into second a little later. It was one of the best mods I did on my bike and I highly recommend it. Finally, I get blown around just as much on my FZ6 as I did on my 250. The FZ6 is heavier, harder to do slow speed maneuvers with, and harder to work on than the 250. All reasons to really get comfortable with your little bike before upgrading.

Then again, the rush past 8K RPM on the FZ6 is exhilarating
I hear you, but the idea that you should master a 250 b4 moving to a bigger bike is not necessarily one I agree with. None of us mastered a 125 before getting the 250. Seems to me learning the fundamentals on a 250 and developing them on a larger bike is a reasonable approach.

Funny thing is I feel like the 250 actually makes me drive more aggressive then I would like to and a bigger bike would allow me to drive more comfortably. Does that seem crazy? Seems like because I get nothing at low revs I'm constantly seeking drilling through 1st and 2nd seeking that first rush of power. Depending on traffic conditions I may have to really wring the throttle a lot to stay out of blindspots, pass, etc.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM   #17
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Dislike:
1. Buzzing at cruising speeds 45-55mph
2. Useless 1st gear
3. Highway winds at 80mph
4. Looks a like a little bike to me.
5. Generally High RPMs
6. Skiddish rear tire
1. What gear/rpm are you cruizing at a 45-55 mph? I would recommend trying to cruize in the 7k - 9K range. That seems to be where my bike really sings.

2. What rpm are you streaching 1st out to? Try to shift around 9K. Gives you good acceleration and will put second at 8K right in the power band.

3. Tuck more on the highway, it makes a big difference. You will feel the wind on any bike. Also, make sure you are light on the bars, you should be able to take a hand off the bars without repositioning.

4. The 250 is roughly the same size as all the 600ss bikes.

5. High rpms are the trademark of sportbikes.

6. The feeling of the rear tire skidding out is more than likely your mind playing tricks. You have convinced youself it is a problem. Trust that they will work and the "problem" will go away. New rubber is nice, but not needed.

A wider tire will not increase performance at all, it will just make the bike harder to turn.

I highly recommend ear plugs for any sustained riding above 60mph. It completely changes your perspective for the better.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:09 AM   #18
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I hear you, but the idea that you should master a 250 b4 moving to a bigger bike is not necessarily one I agree with. None of us mastered a 125 before getting the 250. Seems to me learning the fundamentals on a 250 and developing them on a larger bike is a reasonable approach.

Funny thing is I feel like the 250 actually makes me drive more aggressive then I would like to and a bigger bike would allow me to drive more comfortably. Does that seem crazy? Seems like because I get nothing at low revs I'm constantly seeking drilling through 1st and 2nd seeking that first rush of power. Depending on traffic conditions I may have to really wring the throttle a lot to stay out of blindspots, pass, etc.
My plan, and what I would recommend, is to ride another 3-4000 miles. Take the experienced riders course and attend 1 track day on your 250.

Also, you have to get used to getting the bike in the 9k+ rpm range. That is where the bike likes to be and it does take some getting used to coming from a cage that never gets over 6k. If you don't you will be disappointed in its performance. You are not wringing it's neck at the point. 12k+ is wringing its neck.

The 250 takes a large effort to ride aggressively (a good thing). Agressive impulses in traffic take thought and planning, which moderates the impulses.

A 650 or 600ss takes little to no effort to ride agressively making it very easy to get in over your head.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM   #19
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
1. What gear/rpm are you cruizing at a 45-55 mph? I would recommend trying to cruize in the 7k - 9K range. That seems to be where my bike really sings.

2. What rpm are you streaching 1st out to? Try to shift around 9K. Gives you good acceleration and will put second at 8K right in the power band.

3. Tuck more on the highway, it makes a big difference. You will feel the wind on any bike. Also, make sure you are light on the bars, you should be able to take a hand off the bars without repositioning.

4. The 250 is roughly the same size as all the 600ss bikes.

5. High rpms are the trademark of sportbikes.

6. The feeling of the rear tire skidding out is more than likely your mind playing tricks. You have convinced youself it is a problem. Trust that they will work and the "problem" will go away. New rubber is nice, but not needed.

A wider tire will not increase performance at all, it will just make the bike harder to turn.
1. I don't know if there is a range where I really enjoy the sound of my bike. Perhaps 6-7k?
2. I don't stretch 1st very far because it doesn't feel productive at the top. But I never considered how quickly if would put me in the powerband in 2nd. I try stretching it a bit more.
3. I'm tucked and loose on the bars and generally comfortable on the highway. I just didn't know if the side to side wind repositioning was a symptom of a smaller (lighter) bike or all bikes.
5. I was under the impression that twin 650s or similar had more low end torque meaning I could spend more time cruising in this lower range? By cruising I mean 45 - 70mph on country roads. Less feeling like I am racing the engine all the time.
6. Some truth to that. While I have experienced some slip, 90% of it is in my mind now because of the insecurity. If new tires make me more confident I suppose its worth it.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM   #20
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
My plan, and what I would recommend, is to ride another 3-4000 miles. Take the experienced riders course and attend 1 track day on your 250.

Also, you have to get used to getting the bike in the 9k+ rpm range. That is where the bike likes to be and it does take some getting used to coming from a cage that never gets over 6k. If you don't you will be disappointed in its performance. You are not wringing it's neck at the point. 12k+ is wringing its neck.

The 250 takes a large effort to ride aggressively (a good thing). Agressive impulses in traffic take thought and planning, which moderates the impulses.

A 650 or 600ss takes little to no effort to ride agressively making it very easy to get in over your head.
Sounds like a good blueprint and one that I may end up following. Again I love my bike and I'm only talking about the things I don't like right now. She has been very good to me and I have no regrets getting this bike.

I'm definitely not driving aggressively in terms of speed. I mean that I feel like I'm racing because of all the shifting and heaving accelerating combined with the engine noise. In actuality I'm usually going just slightly faster than the rest of the traffic. Some people say that's the whole point of riding a sportbike - high revs, shifting, engine noise, but its not for everyone. Based on my limited experience I think I prefer less sporty riding but I enjoy the looks and ergos of a sportbike - particularly this bike. I imagine that with a bigger engine I could maintain a similar speed profile with less effort while having the capability to go nuts when I want to.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:45 AM   #21
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Lol my current bike does that, sporty looks, but torque comes in lower

I actually kind of liked my high revs, on the ninjette, but have gotten used to my current setup.

Torque is around 5-7K, usually shifting at 6k gives me decent acceleration. Not as high strung when accelerating. It's actually lighter than my old ninjette(not my any significant amount), but I am blown around less. There are lot of factors to being blown around.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:38 AM   #22
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

If you get a chance take a ride on a bigger bike. You have enough experience to at least test ride them (do the MSF friction zone drill before taking off).

I've ridden an Honda VFR 800 (~65 Hwy miles) and a Ninja 650 (30 min Kawi demo), and I am at the same experience level as you.

After riding those two bikes I got an idea as to why people like more power, but also why the ninja is perfect for beginners. The 250 is absolutely effortless to control. The bigger bikes definately have the advantage on the highway as the low end power really makes cruizing effortless.

The VFR 800 had awesome low end, but it was HEAVY in the turns (like 4x the effort of the ninja). The ninja 650 was very comfortable all around and would make a nice 1st or second bike.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM   #23
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If you get a chance take a ride on a bigger bike. You have enough experience to at least test ride them (do the MSF friction zone drill before taking off).

I've ridden an Honda VFR 800 (~65 Hwy miles) and a Ninja 650 (30 min Kawi demo), and I am at the same experience level as you.

After riding those two bikes I got an idea as to why people like more power, but also why the ninja is perfect for beginners. The 250 is absolutely effortless to control. The bigger bikes definately have the advantage on the highway as the low end power really makes cruizing effortless.

The VFR 800 had awesome low end, but it was HEAVY in the turns (like 4x the effort of the ninja). The ninja 650 was very comfortable all around and would make a nice 1st or second bike.
I plan to do some demo days this spring. I think that will be very telling for me. I'm doing about 250mi/week and at this rate by the time i even got another bike I would have put at least 1500 miles on it. If I demo something I love I may just buy it. Sadly I'd have to sell my ninja shortly thereafter. I wouldn't feel as guilty if I got a 650 though. Sounds like that bike retains a lot of the features I love about my 250 while curing some of the things I don't.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM   #24
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I had the same thought process as this. I thought getting a bigger bike would let me drive less aggressively. Trust me, all it does it make it easier to drive more aggressively. The temptation to twist your wrist and pass anything within seconds is too strong. I end up riding relatively the same as I did on the 250, which means faster, in general. It's nice to be cruising at 70 on the highway in 6th gear and roll on the throttle on the FZ6. it pulls hard even at lower rpms and before you know it you are in the triple digits.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:43 AM   #25
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

*skips over whole thread* sorry if what im saying has already been said but, sounds like longer sprockets for less useless first gear and less buzzing, and better tires lol. I'd argue though that a tiny first gear in a low power bike like the 250 isn't really useless :P
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM   #26
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I had the same thought process as this. I thought getting a bigger bike would let me drive less aggressively. Trust me, all it does it make it easier to drive more aggressively. The temptation to twist your wrist and pass anything within seconds is too strong. I end up riding relatively the same as I did on the 250, which means faster, in general. It's nice to be cruising at 70 on the highway in 6th gear and roll on the throttle on the FZ6. it pulls hard even at lower rpms and before you know it you are in the triple digits.
lol I can definitely understand that. Temptation with that much power has got to be tough. Did you look at or test ride any other bikes when you got your FZ?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You can address the buzzes with small fixes from DIY's here and there and felt paper or rubber washers. I found that very tiny O-rings over the bolt/screw go a long way to killing the buzzes. My 250/R6 has no buzzing sounds aside of the sound the little engine makes.

You will just have to get over that it "looks like a little bike". Wider tires/upgraded exhaust/clip-ons and so on, somewhat helps with that but "it is what it is".

I feel the same as you about first gear. Once you get moving so fast, it only seems like then engine races higher but you go no faster. Hence the feeling of the need to shift. Riding it out a bit longer puts the bike's rpm right in the sweat spot for second. You will also have to accept that for some of those really, really large intersections, you will have to shift as you proceed though, turning or not.

I come from a cruiser background and like you was dissatisfied that it felt like I had to race then engine all the time. Why can't I cruise at 5k and stuff like that. I addressed that with a sprocket change. 15 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear will calm it way down. And put your RPM's at 7k @ 70mph (indicated). I have sense then grown to love the high revving sound of the lil ninja. Red line is music to my ears now. Give it some time, it might just grow on you too. Listen to other 600 riders while they cruise, you will find that experienced riders of 600cc+ sport bikes are still revving to 6-7k rpm even while cruising along at 40mph.

I think we all feel those "phantom" rear slips when we are new riders. Like me, many others here have had acceptable handling from the stock IRC tires. Sure, they are not the best but they get the job done. Ensure they are not over/under inflated, your head is up, looking through turns and the smoother you are with the brakes and throttle the less "phantoms" should occur.

Lastly... 500 miles is a drop in the bucket. If that is the total of your riding experience, then you haven't "really" given yourself time to adjust to any sport bike, as they all have their personal rider issues. If you are after casual comfort at 70+ mph, then yea a larger cc bike might fit you better.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM   #28
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
You can address the buzzes with small fixes from DIY's here and there and felt paper or rubber washers. I found that very tiny O-rings over the bolt/screw go a long way to killing the buzzes. My 250/R6 has no buzzing sounds aside of the sound the little engine makes.

You will just have to get over that it "looks like a little bike". Wider tires/upgraded exhaust/clip-ons and so on, somewhat helps with that but "it is what it is".

I feel the same as you about first gear. Once you get moving so fast, it only seems like then engine races higher but you go no faster. Hence the feeling of the need to shift. Riding it out a bit longer puts the bike's rpm right in the sweat spot for second. You will also have to accept that for some of those really, really large intersections, you will have to shift as you proceed though, turning or not.

I come from a cruiser background and like you was dissatisfied that it felt like I had to race then engine all the time. Why can't I cruise at 5k and stuff like that. I addressed that with a sprocket change. 15 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear will calm it way down. And put your RPM's at 7k @ 70mph (indicated). I have sense then grown to love the high revving sound of the lil ninja. Red line is music to my ears now. Give it some time, it might just grow on you too. Listen to other 600 riders while they cruise, you will find that experienced riders of 600cc+ sport bikes are still revving to 6-7k rpm even while cruising along at 40mph.

I think we all feel those "phantom" rear slips when we are new riders. Like me, many others here have had acceptable handling from the stock IRC tires. Sure, they are not the best but they get the job done. Ensure they are not over/under inflated, your head is up, looking through turns and the smoother you are with the brakes and throttle the less "phantoms" should occur.

Lastly... 500 miles is a drop in the bucket. If that is the total of your riding experience, then you haven't "really" given yourself time to adjust to any sport bike, as they all have their personal rider issues. If you are after casual comfort at 70+ mph, then yea a larger cc bike might fit you better.
When I say buzziness I'm talking more about the sound of the engine. It just seems like its never happy. It's either yelling (6k-9k) or screaming (9k+). I know its the sweet spot where the bike is "happy" but as a personal preference I don't like it so far. Feel like I'm constantly adjusting my speed and gear to make it sound happy. I'm gonna try the sprocket change and see if it helps. I've got the 15T already just need to put it on.

I am definately looking for comfort and cruising. I would buy a cruiser (and may eventually) I just prefer the sportier look right now. But thats the kind of riding I am after. 45-75mph country roads to take in the sights and with the soundtrack of a happy engine beneath me.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sounds like an SV or 650 may be in your future when your ready to make the jump. Props to you for starting on a 250 though.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM   #30
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
lol I can definitely understand that. Temptation with that much power has got to be tough. Did you look at or test ride any other bikes when you got your FZ?
I looked at the SV650, Ninja 650, and Bandit 600S. Only rode the Bandit, but I didn't really like it. I decided on the FZ6 because of the R6 inspired styling and awesome 98 HP R6 motor. The power is unmatched by anything other than a supersport.

It's almost two bikes in one. Under 7K RPM it's pretty tame, but open it up and you better hold on tight!

Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #31
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I looked at the SV650, Ninja 650, and Bandit 600S. Only rode the Bandit, but I didn't really like it. I decided on the FZ6 because of the R6 inspired styling and awesome 98 HP R6 motor. The power is unmatched by anything other than a supersport.

It's almost two bikes in one. Under 7K RPM it's pretty tame, but open it up and you better hold on tight!
I hear that over and over from fz6 owners. To be honest its a little intimidating. Can you have a reasonable amount of fun with it under 7k? Assuming you can fight temptation.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #32
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I would get a twin over an I4 for commuting

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #33
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I hear that over and over from fz6 owners. To be honest its a little intimidating. Can you have a reasonable amount of fun with it under 7k? Assuming you can fight temptation.
Oh don't worry. Under 7K RPM it still has way more power than the 250. I could ride it aggressively all day and never break 7K RPM. The power above that point is awesome but nothing you can't handle. You get used to it very quickly.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #34
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
I would get a twin over an I4 for commuting
Why do you say that? Low end torque?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:31 PM   #35
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Probably for the gasmileage, though the i4 would be a smoother ride
AFM #676

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM   #36
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Probably for the gasmileage, though the i4 would be a smoother ride
BTW nice review of the 650. Really makes me crave one sounds like it has all of the 250 strengths minus its weaknesses. Must feel nice always having power to spare while maintaining the comfortable riding position. Problem is I can only afford the 2007-2009 models in either the fz or 650. Everytime I get on my bike I lose the urge to change though. If only they made the exact bike in a 400 or 500 it would be perfect.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:30 PM   #37
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The pregen 650s are ugly though, I'd never buy one haha

The 650 definitely feels less sporty than the 250. When I get back on my 250 I feel more hunched over, compact, and lower to the ground, excellent feeling for the twisties
AFM #676

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:22 AM   #38
AmplexorJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Kody

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

600 miles

I too bought the ninjette for the same reasons. I now have about 600 miles riding exp over the last month.

I found that my ninja sounds alot less buzzy than other ninja's round here with my Muzzy exhaust. Less like a pissed off bee and more like a giant pissed off bee I like it.

I read that the ninja 250 was designed to ride at 6 - 10k rpms and that its actually bad for your engine to maintain rpms lower or higher (not sure bout that but maybe someone can clarify or you can google it like me)

Ok the highway crosswinds are usually ok if I tuck but only until 25+ mph winds. Then it sucks cause I'll be doing 70mph tucked and fighting those crosswinds thinking holy crap my bottom is gonna fly out and here comes some old guy on a touring cruiser sitting upright drinking coffee and coasting at 80 lol but whatever I know what I ride its all part of it I suppose
AmplexorJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM   #39
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
BTW nice review of the 650. Really makes me crave one sounds like it has all of the 250 strengths minus its weaknesses. Must feel nice always having power to spare while maintaining the comfortable riding position. Problem is I can only afford the 2007-2009 models in either the fz or 650. Everytime I get on my bike I lose the urge to change though. If only they made the exact bike in a 400 or 500 it would be perfect.
Yep, gas mileage and usable torque. Make for better commuting, least I feel that way.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:30 AM   #40
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

It's not bad for the engine...

Just don't lug the engine and you'll be fine.