ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Wear your gear!!! You never know.

Hey Guys. No i didnt crash but was super close. I decided to go out for a ride to clear my head. Didnt put on my knee guards on or back protector. Had my jacket, gloves, boots, kevlar jeans and helmet on. Was easy to get on and out to go ride that way.

Anyways long story short I got on the freeway going about 80mph in a 75mph and was about 4 car lengths behind a pickup truck and i was right beside a diesel truck. All of a sudden i get hit on the head (helmet) with a piece of tire. Then i see pieces flying at me. Look closer at the truck it starting to swerve bc the tire is falling apart. Then the tire completely explodes and truck going out of control. All the while I am breaking to slow down. Get down to about 30mph before i have to totally evade the truck and miss the diesel as well.

I got really lucky that i didnt hit those big chunks, or that they flung at me, or even worse the truck struck me. All i could think is that I should have had my full gear on. Otherwise my knees would be toast from impact and who knows for back trouble. I went home after to check the bike and quit for the night.

All it took was 5 min from home before it could have been a fatal accident. Always wear your gear and be aware whats around you. Too bad I didnt have my gopro on, would have been something to def watch and see all that happened. Ride safe and be smart.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:18 AM   #2
RockyCapone
ninjette.org member

Name: Rocky

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Good escape.

Trucks are source of all kind of debris and flying objects.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:18 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Be on the lookout for tire tread and boards in the road. A cage/truck can hit them and they become projectiles, quite possibly ending your existence before you even hit the pavement.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Lucky driver.

If you count landmarks to determine following distance, the driver was at a following distance of around 1 second. Not that it would have made a ton of difference but keeping further back, say 3 seconds, may have kept the strike lower. Better to run over the chunk of wood than have it almost decapitate you.

Jeff

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Well yeah i just got lucky. It could have been worse. I wont forget certain gear anymore. Scared the crap out of me.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I've videotaped people doing rolling roadblocks as well. Supposedly they're a crime, sadly illegal pass blocking is never enforced. The driver was lucky he didn't get impaled, though I bet he got glass damage from the shrapnel.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Pretty crazy and scary story. I guess a peaceful ride to clear your head didn't work out, eh?
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Pretty crazy and scary story. I guess a peaceful ride to clear your head didn't work out, eh?
lol yeah thats for sure. Was peaceful till that moment. haha

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
How hard was the hit to your head? Should you get your helmet checked out/replaced?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #11
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
How hard was the hit to your head? Should you get your helmet checked out/replaced?
was probably a piece of tire that was the size of a small rock. Was more alerting than damaging. Left a small scratch. I probably will get it checked though.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's a good idea. Would hate for something like this to reduce the effectiveness of your helmet later on.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #13
lolibater

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R, 2011 Sprint GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
Hey Guys. No i didnt crash but was super close. I decided to go out for a ride to clear my head. Didnt put on my knee guards on or back protector. Had my jacket, gloves, boots, kevlar jeans and helmet on. Was easy to get on and out to go ride that way.

Anyways long story short I got on the freeway going about 80mph in a 75mph and was about 4 car lengths behind a pickup truck and i was right beside a diesel truck. All of a sudden i get hit on the head (helmet) with a piece of tire. Then i see pieces flying at me. Look closer at the truck it starting to swerve bc the tire is falling apart. Then the tire completely explodes and truck going out of control. All the while I am breaking to slow down. Get down to about 30mph before i have to totally evade the truck and miss the diesel as well.

I got really lucky that i didnt hit those big chunks, or that they flung at me, or even worse the truck struck me. All i could think is that I should have had my full gear on. Otherwise my knees would be toast from impact and who knows for back trouble. I went home after to check the bike and quit for the night.

All it took was 5 min from home before it could have been a fatal accident. Always wear your gear and be aware whats around you. Too bad I didnt have my gopro on, would have been something to def watch and see all that happened. Ride safe and be smart.
Thank god you're alright man!

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #14
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolibater View Post
Thank god you're alright man!
yeah thats why i didnt answer last night. Happened when you called and was a bit shaken up.

Old October 4th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #15
lolibater

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R, 2011 Sprint GT

Quote:
yeah thats why i didnt answer last night. Happened when you called and was a bit shaken up.
No worries. Glad you were able to avoid the truck

Old October 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Glad you are okay! That must have been extremely scary!!!!!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #17
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I've videotaped people doing rolling roadblocks as well. Supposedly they're a crime, sadly illegal pass blocking is never enforced. The driver was lucky he didn't get impaled, though I bet he got glass damage from the shrapnel.
We had that outlawed here in Arkansas a few years back too. Unfortunately the only time it's ever enforced is when a cop gets mad about someone holding THEM up..

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Counting your blessing and glad you're still here! It doesn't take much eh? I wear full gear all the time, no exceptions.
It helps that it takes a bit of time to get ready. That few minutes gets my head in the right place for riding.

Glad you made it out of the shite.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #19
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
Glad you are okay! That must have been extremely scary!!!!!
Yeah seriously was. Glad to be still around.

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #20
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post

Counting your blessing and glad you're still here! It doesn't take much eh? I wear full gear all the time, no exceptions.
It helps that it takes a bit of time to get ready. That few minutes gets my head in the right place for riding.

Glad you made it out of the shite.
I know thats exactly how I am. Only a few minutes and you can have it all on. Just was in a rush. I shouldn't rush that type of thing that would save my life.

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #21
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I know thats exactly how I am. Only a few minutes and you can have it all on. Just was in a rush. I shouldn't rush that type of thing that would save my life.
I guess that was fate's way of making sure you gear up fully from now on.
Think of this as Life: Part Two lol!

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #22
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I guess that was fate's way of making sure you gear up fully from now on.
Think of this as Life: Part Two lol!
I know seriously. The only time I didnt take the time and 5 min out the door. 5 min and this happens lol. Wont let that happen again.

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #23
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I know seriously. The only time I didnt take the time and 5 min out the door. 5 min and this happens lol. Wont let that happen again.
It's kinda cool though. Makes you appreciate that it didn't happen. Like getting a get out of jail free card.
I dodged a cancer thing recently and hell yeah, little brushes with death can really make you look around and find everything AWESOME! Even some little trolls and crashed computers don't bug me anymore.

Going out for my midnight ride soon and I'll be thinking of this and a few other recent things. I don't dwell on the risks but if it makes me slow down at intersections and leave a little more space, it's worth it.

Heard about a guy going to the hospital today from slamming into a schoolbus that was stopped at a railroad track. It's the law here so ya gotta wonder if that dude was ready to be riding? Just shaking my head at that one. What a waste.

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #24
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It's kinda cool though. Makes you appreciate that it didn't happen. Like getting a get out of jail free card.
I dodged a cancer thing recently and hell yeah, little brushes with death can really make you look around and find everything AWESOME! Even some little trolls and crashed computers don't bug me anymore.

Going out for my midnight ride soon and I'll be thinking of this and a few other recent things. I don't dwell on the risks but if it makes me slow down at intersections and leave a little more space, it's worth it.

Heard about a guy going to the hospital today from slamming into a schoolbus that was stopped at a railroad track. It's the law here so ya gotta wonder if that dude was ready to be riding? Just shaking my head at that one. What a waste.
Yeah def makes you realize that you shouldn't take things like this for granted. I would rather drive safe and be smart, than look cool or go fast. Some things are just not that worth it. I could have ruined my chances with school and career.

And sad for the guy that did that. Got to really pay attention even more so on a bike. You dont get a ding in your fender like in a car. You go flying or get hurt.