ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Trubin
Easy Rider

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Question NYC HOV Brooklyn battery tunnel on Motorcycle?

Good mornming fellow riders,

HOV rules are different from state to state, maybe even from road to road, so this may seem strange for riders outside NYC.

This morning I left my house late and decided to take the HOV lane to save some time in my current daily commute into the city. As I avoided lane splitting in traffic with the HOV lane which I took for the first time and approached the toll booth of the EZ-pass HOV lane in-front of tunnel I herd someone yell. I didn't give a second thought as I had people behind me so I ripped my growler exhaust into the tunnel. As I came out of the other end at the last moment I saw a cop waiving at me to pull over right after the tunnel. Was too late for me to safely slow down so I went my way for I knew that if its serious more cops would greet me ahead. Surprisingly the cops up ahead waived me to take the turn that I normally take and I forgot about it till I came to the office.

Now I am wondering could I have used the HOV lane on a motorcycle when riding alone? It seems crazy to even think that but in this day and age anything is possible.

A quick search reveals:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/carpool.shtml
"Brooklyn Battery Tunnel HOV-3 Lane on Gowanus Expressway
The HOV lane on the Gowanus Expressway leading to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is open to vehicles with three or more passengers, buses, emergency vehicles, and taxis and for-hire vehicles with at least one passenger. Vehicles using the HOV lane must have E-Z Pass

The HOV-3 lane runs from the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and is in effect Manhattan-bound only from 6:00 am to 10:00 am on weekdays. Vehicles with fewer than three people are not be permitted in the HOV lane but other vehicles will be able to access the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel via the regular lanes of the Gowanus Expressway. "

Does this mean I must have have 2+ passengers on a bike?

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubin View Post
.........Vehicles using the HOV lane must have E-Z Pass
...........this mean I must have have 2+ passengers on a bike?
You don't need any of those to ride the HOV lane, it is a Federal law.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #3
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

one word...

Sidecar...

When they mean 3 or more passengers, does it includes the driver?

Around here the regulations is a bit less restrictive, you have to be at least two onboard to take advantage of those lanes... So you can use them when two-up on a Ninjette...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
HOV means high occupancy vehicle. motorcycles are HOVs because they take very little space per person. like hernan said, hov is federal now.

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Trubin
Easy Rider

Article here of a woman who was ticketed and fought back in court, still ongoing battle:
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/loc...ticle-1.286236

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ I was going to say something similar can happen. Federal or not, city/county/state laws and/or ordinances can also apply during an event, time of day, ect... to address traffic flow. So check and then double check with your local officials to ensure when and if you can use the HOV lane. It's the only way to know for sure.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Trubin
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
^^^ I was going to say something similar can happen. Federal or not, city/county/state laws and/or ordinances can also apply during an event, time of day, ect... to address traffic flow. So check and then double check with your local officials to ensure when and if you can use the HOV lane. It's the only way to know for sure.
I m just gana avoid the tunnel for a while, its not worth the $2.50 they charge anyway.
federal law:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/23/1/166
Motorcycles are exempt from the passenger requirement.
I think they get around it somehow because of hurricane sandy as a safety issue, people say more motorcycles get ticketed there.

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a summons for a traffic violation in the mail.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

You can ride a bike solo via HOV to BBT, as long as U have ez-pass. Been there, done that, not a problem.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Trubin
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
You can ride a bike solo via HOV to BBT, as long as U have ez-pass. Been there, done that, not a problem.
During HOV hours of 6am-10am?

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaym...ter3.htm#chp3a

Your state has the right to over-rule this federal law, proving it dangerous and informing the Federal government.

Many, many years ago, some tunnels did forbid motorcycles due to the simple fact that oil and other fluids dripping from cars and trucks couldn't be evaporated by Sunlight.

Another thing that only applies to motorcycles and tunnels is that any headlight modulator must be automatically disabled while going through a tunnel.

Some LEOs' have stopped me for using the HVO in Florida, but showing them the written law has sufficed.

At least in Florida, HOV lane is only an HOV during the posted times, after which is open to any vehicle.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
This:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/carpool.shtml
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Trubin
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post

I think you got lucky, After Sandy im seeing on other forums Cops started ticketing motorcycles during those hours that ride on the HOV lane.

Old July 19th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #14
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

just bend your plate down so the camera can't read it
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #15
Trubin
Easy Rider

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc.young View Post
just bend your plate down so the camera can't read it
Lol man, I already have it on Velcro I am afraid it will fly off at that point.

Old August 1st, 2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Trubin
Easy Rider

The MTA told me to contact the port Authority since they didn't know if I could go through the HOV lane into the tunnel. So I got an email from the port authority a week later,
"
Dear Mr. Trubin,

Thank you for your e-mail to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. We do not operate the tunnel you described, but the MTA does. Their contact number is 212-360-3000, or simply, 311. It may help to specify if your motorcycle has a side car.

Best Regards,

Ann
Customer Relations
"
Seems kinda strange that she would ask about a sidecar, but I've been taking the route for 2 days now without a problem. no waives from cops no sirens either. I have a federal law printed out that protects me in my wallet just in-case I get pulled over. God bless America.

Old August 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Motorcycles and bicycles - 23 U.S.C. 166(b)(2)
By law, motorcycles and bicycles are allowed to use HOV facilities. However, a State may elect to restrict motorcycle or bicycle (or both) use of an HOV facility due to safety concerns. If a State does decide to exclude motorcycles and/or bicycles, a certification stating that their presence creates a safety hazard must be submitted to the FHWA for approval. Prior to acceptance, the FHWA will publish the request in the Federal Register, providing an opportunity for public comment. After the State has addressed the comments received (if any), FHWA will approve the request. States should submit their certifications to the FHWA Division Office.
http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaym...e/chapter3.htm

If a cop pulls you over you're still likely to get a ticket and then you'll have to fight it out in court.

Just because you haven't been pulled over I wouldn't take that to mean it's ok. I lane split all the time but realize that if a cop is having a bad day or he feels like it or...whatever.

I'll get pulled over and ticketed.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote