Old November 12th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Throttle transitions

Since the insight given around here is so flippin' good, here's another question:

One thing I'm constantly working on and trying to get right is making a smooth transition from off-throttle to cracked open.

I approach the corner while slowing/shifting/assuming the position, look, tip in, crack the throttle and smoothly accelerate through the turn. At least, that's what's supposed to happen.

What actually happens is an awkward moment as I tip in before the power comes on. Seems I have a heck of a time getting that to happen smoothly. That first little bit is where I get it wrong... As if I'm expecting the power before it's actually there.

I don't want to use the word "snatch" because that implies there's something wrong with the bike. I don't think that's the case. I think it's me. I think my timing is off somehow, but I can't quite figure it out.

Reading this the answer seems "well, doofus, just open the throttle sooner" but that doesn't feel right. I do think I'm twisting the grip as early as I'm comfortable doing so.

I think it's more about opening it more crisply but without overdoing it.

It's like there's some kind of barrier between closed and cracked open. It's not smooth. Really hard to describe adequately. Once I've got power I can modulate it very well. It's getting that first tiny crack where and how I want it that's eluding me.

Any insight?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
.........Any insight?
It seems characteristic of fuel injection.

I would try overlapping rear brake trailing and opening the throttle, that way the effect of the chain slack is eliminated.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It's like there's some kind of barrier between closed and cracked open. It's not smooth.
I had this same feeling when I got my R6. Your no new rider, so lets go hard.

There are 2 schools of thought, you can conform to the bike or conform the bike to you.

Sounds like a timing thing but try the simple stuff first. During the roll on, do you feel the throttle cable slack? Try adjusting some of it out. Does it feel this way no matter what range of r's? Chain lash? Cush drive? And is your air filter clean and clear? Seems a custom fuel map by a competent tuner also goes a long way here. That is the route I went with my R6, in combination with below.

Then there is this from a thread long ago... when you find the sweet spot r's for your bike to begin the roll on. You know... just like the lil ninja's starts at 8k.
Quote:
I begin by slowly releasing brake pressure as the bike progresses to max lean. I can feel the tiny bit of throttle slack tighten as the last bit of braking is complete. My line is set, let’s feel it… My head drops near my right hand and I feel the first bit of acceleration from the throttle roll.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Honestly, I found the same issue a while ago that Andrew has found.

My solution (I know you said that you didn't want to roll on sooner but...) I started riding with the mentality of either throttle or brake; no tip-in time without at least maintenance throttle. Essentially, I started pulling up slack and just barely easing into the throttle immediately after I got off the brakes. I'm assuming you aren't trail braking on street here.

I found that as soon as I made earlier throttle inputs, my front end felt much more planted during tip-in, I was smoother on entry, and I was forced to work on setting up my line one corner ahead, vs setting up each corner individually. Everything seems to flow better for me, and I think part of that is that smoothness I gained from easing onto the throttle sooner.

When in doubt, enter slower, roll on sooner, and then have your fun. Think 1 or 2 corners ahead and set up your next turn with your line through your current turn.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Oh! Have someone check/adjust your TPS too. The factory setting is well... handicap.

Old November 12th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
begin throttle roll on sooner, where it is not an issue. this will force your braking sooner.

Old November 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I found that as soon as I made earlier throttle inputs, my front end felt much more planted during tip-in
We are gunna fix that "feeling" this year. Your next big "ah ha" moment on the track is gunna be building some REAL braking skills. We aren't gunna hit the brakes for turn 7 until 300ft. Bring moist wipes and extra panties. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I was smoother on entry, and I was forced to work on setting up my line one corner ahead, vs setting up each corner individually.

Old November 12th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Coolness. Now I just need to remember this stuff all winter.

The bike is on stands, covered and battery tendered until spring.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
We aren't gunna hit the brakes for turn 7 until 300ft. Bring moist wipes and extra panties. lol
Lol! I'll have to put some adult diapers on under my suit.

You're a brave man; leading me into a turn at 100 and expecting me to not brake until the 300 marker. Asspack central! Haha

But really, I'm game.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

No worries chone, I will just ride by on just the front wheel. hahahahahahahah All kidding aside. Turn 7 can be taken at about 85mph (A group track day pace). We will go around 65ish. So 300ft to scrub off 40ish mph doesn't sound so hard anymore does it? I wouldn't set a goal that I didn't think you could accomplish.

Sorry adouglas for hijacking your thread. What do you think you will do first come next season? Print out this thread and put it in your tank bag.