ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #1
motorcycle_munge
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Unhappy Lowering?

What are the pros and cons of having your bike lowered? I dropped mine yesterday when I was on an incline, trying to get back out on the road because I couldn't reach the ground with my feet.
motorcycle_munge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Lowering the bike actualy helps the bike handle better because you are lowing the center of gravity and making it less "top heavy". The only thing you have to be careful is that you maintain enough tire clearance at the rear fender. Allow enough room for your weight and the weight of any bags and you should be fine.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Rick - I haven't seen that to be the case. A lowered suspension is generally an improvement in handling for a car, as it provides better aerodynamics, and can be coupled with a stiffer suspension for less body roll, dive, and squat when the car's speed changes (in any direction). But on a bike, lowering it helps in almost no cases except for a pure drag bike where you're trying to put the most traction down and leaning the bike just isn't an issue. A lowered bike has less lean angle available, less suspension travel and compliance, and can run into a variety of clearance issues if not done well. That said, for a street bike perhaps those issues can be acceptable, if the lowering process can provide a little more security for a newer rider when trying to reach the ground at a stop.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #4
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Pros... Not dropping your bike.
Cons... Dropping your bike.

I think that came out right.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Alex is right. Lowering a bike takes quite a bit away from handling. It does make keeping the bike upright much easier though (a 600 is as easy to balance as a 250), and the situation Amanda described might be helped by it. A tip to keep a little control in times like that is try to find a way to go down the incline at an angle. You'll have more ability to get one foot down, so just lean to the upper side of the incline and you can keep that foot down. Those of you that are greater gurus than I, correct me if I'm wrong!

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Lowering a bike takes quite a bit away from handling.
No offense, but I disagree, and that is not what Alex said. Alex pointed out that lowering a motorcycle gives none of the performance advantages that you can get in a car. Instead, there are a number problems that might be created when lowering a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
A lowered bike has less lean angle available, less suspension travel and compliance, and can run into a variety of clearance issues if not done well.
However, please notice he also said, "if not done well." In other words, if it is done well, the handling will keep its sport performance intact, and the only additional "risk" would be less ground clearance. For most, the clearance might only be an issue when going over speed bumps and such.

Quote:
That said, for a street bike perhaps those issues can be acceptable, if the lowering process can provide a little more security for a newer rider when trying to reach the ground at a stop.
This thread discusses many of the concerns, it also points out the rewards for doing it right: DIY: Lowering the front end. Raising the Forks

Amanda, one of the key things is to not get "carried away" when lowering. You should only do as much as you need. Since it sounds like you can handle your bike pretty well in most situations, the most you'll need to lower the front and rear is 1" (one inch). Just be careful and if you're not sure, ask more questions!!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Alex is right. Lowering a bike takes quite a bit away from handling. It does make keeping the bike upright much easier though (a 600 is as easy to balance as a 250), and the situation Amanda described might be helped by it. A tip to keep a little control in times like that is try to find a way to go down the incline at an angle. You'll have more ability to get one foot down, so just lean to the upper side of the incline and you can keep that foot down. Those of you that are greater gurus than I, correct me if I'm wrong!
Erm.. nope.

If done properly, it should not affect your handling by much.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's all a trade-off. At stock height, people still complain about scraping hard parts once the bike is ridden at higher speeds with reasonably significant lean angles. If the bike is lowered even a fraction, from stock height, that possibility of scraping hard parts gets higher. How likely that possibility is directly proportional to how much lower the bike is taken. It takes away some of the bike's capability, and can limit the ability of a rider to just lean it further when necessary if they find themselves in a corner faster than they expected.

Everything in moderation, right? A slight lowering probably won't cause a treacherous situation right away, but overdoing it certainly could. But my thinking is that if the lowering is only slight anyway, the same comfort and security could have happened if the rider just put on more miles and was diligent about low speed riding when a tipover could happen. An inch isn't really going to change anything other than the rider's perception.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 28th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #10
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Hands on information
Not meant in disrespect but some plain short people facts....

OK everyone get on their bikes and duck tape their calfs to their hamstrings.
Creating a 24-26 inseam.
That is everyone over 5'7 ..
now try to touch the ground while sitting on the bike.
Pull up to a stop sign on an incline.
Get on and off the bike without looking like a fool.

Put on some boots with taller heals and topple because your heel gets stuck on the peg....

Now you know why we lower our bikes. Mostly it is out of need. I would suggest not lowering a bike if you do not have to.
But if you are height challanged and need to do it:

Do it evenly and as little as possible. (maybe the front a tad lower after you get used to the even lowereing.)

I am not a huge leaner so I have not had the peg dragging problem.
I find my bike handles excellent and is Very responsive. Even BETTER now that I have lowered the front a little more. It was a nightmare when I just lowered the back only.. Do not do this.

I need to worry about the speedbumps at the local Starbucks. I can handle that.

I do not carry a passenger and will never have a rear hugger. I can handle that.

I am comfortable getting on and off of my bike and stopping without falling.

I give up some suspension for a chance to ride!!!

Sometimes we just gotta do what we just gotta do. I say do it but use common sense.... and as little as necessary. Be aware of what those changes mean and go ride!!

Old April 28th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Zartan, your points are spot-on, and if it needs to happen, it needs to happen. I do find myself cringing when I hear of people wanting to lower their bike so they can put both of their feet flat on the ground, when that really isn't necessary, and can come with some undesirable side effects. The difference of being able to put our toes on the ground, and putting our heels on the ground, is a difference of perception and preference rather than safety or necessity. But if someone is dangling both feet freely and simply can't reach the ground, well, something's gotta give.

Many average-sized people can't flatfoot many average-sized bikes. Bunch of reasons for this (styling, minimum space required for modern engines, enough fuel range, comfort), but the reasons don't really matter; it is what it is. FWIW I have stubby legs for my height, and can't come close to flatfooting most larger bikes. I still run the R12RT with the rear shock jacked up and the seat in the highest position as it's much more capable and comfortable with that setup, even though I can barely get my toes down at a stop.

Old April 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #12
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

i didnt want to lower my bike but dont think i'll have a choice. today im bringing the bike to have the seat shaved at least 1" and replace the foam to a less firm one and see how that goes first. i put block under my feet to see what the perfect height was and it was between 2-2 1/2". then if i need to lower it more i will only have to lower it 1" which won't be so bad.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Snake

Maybe there should be a thread started on how tall us Ninjette riders are. Might be interesting to see the range.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #14
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

it's not the height of the rider it's the inseam. ive heard of a 5'6" lady with the same inseam as me and i'm only 5 apples tall!
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #15
Snake

Well when you put it that way I see what ya mean.

Old April 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #16
girlygirl69
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlene

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Well im having my bike lowered cause I feel I have more control when im stopped and I am very small 4'10" so good luck I know I need it...lol
girlygirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #17
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I had mine lowered 2" before I would even get on it and ride. I could touch the ground with about half my foot, but that wasn't comfortable enough for me. I need to have control when stopping, stopped, on inclines, and backing up. The 2" was perfect for my needs. I touch flat footed now with my knees relaxed, not bent, just relaxed and not locked. It's perfect. If I have to go a little slower to lessen my lean angle, that's okay. I just want to ride -- and not drop my bike. I am a hair under 5'3" with a 30" inseam.

And that inseam thing... my hubby is 6'3" and he has a 30.5" inseam, almost exactly the same as me and I am a foot shorter.

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #18
zartan

30" inseam you are a lucky Giant Spyder !! I have a 26" inseam.

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #19
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Did u lower yours? I don't see how u could ride it otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device
SpyderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #20
zartan

Oh yes and still on just the balls of my feet. My 99 was shorter, did not have to lower that. had that for 9+ years. Then the 08 came out. I was sad it was taller. Remember in this pict it is leaning towards the camera... so it's not that low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vinyl.JPG (137.7 KB, 5 views)

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #21
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

How much did you lower it? Just the 2"? Looks like you are still using the stock stand, I assume you had it cut?

I was worried the new one would be too tall for me too. When I was first looking at Ninjas it was when the older one was out, but then someone talked me into a Rebel instead, which I hated and now my husband has that.

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #22
zartan

I need to get the stand cut down. I need to take about an inch off. It is on my list of things to do this week is to take it in to the welding shop.
ike is lowered apx 1.5-2 " front a little steeper. I did not get the luxury of measuring before. I bought it from a different dealer - mine could not get one.
and dropped it off at my fav dealer and they retro fitted an x 10 link. No kit were available them.

Then later lowered the front with the RToyz spacers. I can not handle that chrome kick stand.yuk!

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #23
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Roaring Toyz makes a really nice stand for our lowered Ninjas. That's what I put on mine instead. It's only about $110.

Be careful, I hope it doesn't fall over on ya when parked.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #24
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
No offense, but I disagree, and that is not what Alex said. Alex pointed out that lowering a motorcycle gives none of the performance advantages that you can get in a car. Instead, there are a number problems that might be created when lowering a bike.

However, please notice he also said, "if not done well." In other words, if it is done well, the handling will keep its sport performance intact, and the only additional "risk" would be less ground clearance. For most, the clearance might only be an issue when going over speed bumps and such.

This thread discusses many of the concerns, it also points out the rewards for doing it right: DIY: Lowering the front end. Raising the Forks

Amanda, one of the key things is to not get "carried away" when lowering. You should only do as much as you need. Since it sounds like you can handle your bike pretty well in most situations, the most you'll need to lower the front and rear is 1" (one inch). Just be careful and if you're not sure, ask more questions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Erm.. nope.

If done properly, it should not affect your handling by much.
Quote:
It's all a trade-off. At stock height, people still complain about scraping hard parts once the bike is ridden at higher speeds with reasonably significant lean angles. If the bike is lowered even a fraction, from stock height, that possibility of scraping hard parts gets higher. How likely that possibility is directly proportional to how much lower the bike is taken. It takes away some of the bike's capability, and can limit the ability of a rider to just lean it further when necessary if they find themselves in a corner faster than they expected.

Everything in moderation, right? A slight lowering probably won't cause a treacherous situation right away, but overdoing it certainly could. But my thinking is that if the lowering is only slight anyway, the same comfort and security could have happened if the rider just put on more miles and was diligent about low speed riding when a tipover could happen. An inch isn't really going to change anything other than the rider's perception.
Ok ok ok ok ok.... I get it. I was wrong. Apparently, the info I got from racers only applies to the 600s and liter bikes they have. They told me that a lowered bike is much more difficult to turn because it'll bottom out, and because it's just balanced differently. I've even been told that this causes a bike to almost need to be pulled into a turn. Please forgive my idiocy.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
I am a hair under 5'3" with a 30" inseam.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote