ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Just how much plastic is left? I'd like to see a photo from the side as well.

Anyhow, Jono, you did an AWESOME job reconstructing your Ninja.

You refused to bend the old frame back into shape and bought a brand new one.

Your attention to mechanical detail was impressive.

Now, when you get to the most important part you are resorting to bailing wire and duct tape?

And you say you are probably going to wreck it again.

So can you at least say that you MIGHT put the proper plastics back on ONE day in the future? I mean, you never know when someone might dump them on you.

PS - You do realize that the resale value takes about an $800 dive without ALL the plastics?
Well I don't have the plastics anymore. They went in the trash can and the trash man took it away. So I don't have them anymore.

Thanks!

I guess this is where we aren't seeing eye to eye. To me the cosmetics are not the most important part of this project. Having a bike that is mechanically safe to ride was the only thing I cared about. I don't really care if it is naked or fully covered.

And yes. I will probably wreck again. I am 20 years old and sometimes my youth and inexperience and stupidity cause me to to bad things. Haha

Yes. I may one day put fairings back on the bike if I can get them for cheap. So I will now no longer remove the fairing bolts on the gas tank. Just so I have this option in the future.

I don't plan to ever sell the bike.

Quote:
Also, you mentioned that you had insurance. Where have they been in all of this?

I don't have full coverage and don't want higher rates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Yeah, def post up some full view pics. That looks great. Good job on it.

I will put up a full view side pic the next I go for a short ride around the neighborhood. Maybe I will paint the can gauges by then.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #42
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Well I don't have the plastics anymore. They went in the trash can and the trash man took it away. So I don't have them anymore.
Well I was going to offer to repair the plastics for you, but since you threw them away, that won't be possible now. I see in your side view that you also threw out the tailpiece. Are you saying that EVERY plastic component was broken in the crash? The tailpiece is rarely broken by anything other than a rear end crash. Its quite possibly the thickest and strongest plastic on the bike.

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #43
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Well I was going to offer to repair the plastics for you, but since you threw them away, that won't be possible now. I see in your side view that you also threw out the tailpiece. Are you saying that EVERY plastic component was broken in the crash? The tailpiece is rarely broken by anything other than a rear end crash. Its quite possibly the thickest and strongest plastic on the bike.

Ah well darn. I knew I should have kept them but they were taking up space in the garage and my mom wanted me to do something with them so I figured they were unfix-able. So I tossed em.

NO! I am going to have the side and rear pieces along with the tank on the bike when it is 'finished'. I have sanded them down already and put a few coats of paint on them. But am waiting to do the final coat. I need to sand the tank down and paint it. Then I will paint those pieces when I do the tank.

They weren't broken from the crash. Just scuffed up in some places on the right side of the bike.

I decided to paint the bike white because I always told myself I was going to paint this bike whenever I crashed. I didn't want to sand off perfectly nice paint unless I had a reason. Now I have a reason.

Here is what they look like as of today. Resting on the old frame.

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #44
n4mwd

So you only need the front cowling and the bottom cowling, right?

For the gauge cluster, is this the part you are missing?

So what was the deal with the headlight?

The front fairings are hard to find and are usually pricey when you do. That's why its almost always better (cost wise) to rebuild it from whatever is left.

Old April 15th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #45
Jono

@n4mwd Nope. I bought a new gauge cluster as well. For $9 dollars of ebay a while back. And I got the front bracket with the frame I bought. Mine was destroyed in the crash. Along with the headlight. The glass broke in multiple spots making it unusable.

I bought the universal bucket headlight because I was going for the half naked look. And the cheapest way to legally ride on the road.

I don't want to spend tons of money on fairings right now. And shipping will be outrageous as well because of the size of them.

Basically all I need is a stock headlight, windscreen, belly pan, front fairing, front fender for it to look like new.

But that costs a lot. And I need to register and insure the bike still. Maybe if I ever have a spare $400 dollars I will buy the parts. Idk. Just doesn't seem worth the money.

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #46
drdriftking007
Drdriftking007

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Really. But my fairings were REALLY messed up. There were missing bits and pieces that are probably still along the road where I crashed. Like it was bad. Then the belly pan had multiply cracks and missing little bits of plastic as well. And then there is where the windscreen mounts... I was missing some critical pieces. It just was not easily possible to fix. Nor would it have been worth the time. See for yourself in the one and only pic I have of the real damage in my first post.

I just don't see the point in spending the money on used fairings that I would need. It would be like the cost of riding my bike for half a year. I would rather be riding a bike that is naked than not riding a bike. I bought the ninja to really learn to ride on. That is its main purpose. I don't really care what she looks like. Cause she still rides the same!

Just wait till I am finished with everything. I think you will decide that it doesn't look that bad. Well in my mind I see it looking nice. So hopefully it actually turns out well.
Jon, I also share your thoughts! Lol fairings are just too expensive and my bike looks just like yours minus the headlight lol.

But dude your bike is looking great!!
drdriftking007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #47
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Also Jono, once I get my CBR250 hugger installed and do a DIY, you should look into that. You want to keep that lovely new setup clean right?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #48
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Also Jono, once I get my CBR250 hugger installed and do a DIY, you should look into that. You want to keep that lovely new setup clean right?
Heck yeah I do! Haha

I can't wait to see how that turns out for you. If it looks nice I may buy one. And paint it to match the bike. They are only like 20 dollars if I remember, right? I saw your post a while back about getting the CBR250 hugger and was kinda interested.

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #49
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah they're like $20 including shipping. If you're willing to wait for the dealer to get it, it's like $12.

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #50
Jono

Wow that is cheap! I am really interested to see how it turns out now. Get done with school already!

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #51
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Working on it mate! :P I even got my shorter dogbones so I have a little more space to work with (and it handles even better)

basically I just need to make some brackets so it attaches to the mounting points for the chain guard, and then cut off some of the undertail. I'm thinking it should work with like 2-3 inches cut off... idk. It's going to take some work. Sounds like a perfect use of my time after I have my wisdom teeth taken out and can't wear a helmet

Old April 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #52
Jono

~Gauges update~

I painted em' semi-gloss black. And also made clear covers out of the plastic from a couple CD cases. Just used my Dremel to cut out a 'circle' then sanded them to just smaller than the can diameter.

Now I need to figure out what type of material I should use to close the gap around the edge of the plastic. I was thinking of some type of caulk/silicone to put around the edge. It would hold the plastic and make it waterproof.

You guys think that is the best idea? Cause I do.

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #53
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I think it looks amazing! I love the naked 250's. Cans look much better black, and yea some kind of caulk should work.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #54
TylersEM2
TylersEM2

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I want full pics!

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #55
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Very nice job mate! I'm envious.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM   #56
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Where are the piiiiiiiiiics?!?!?

LOL
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #57
Jono

@JLinde1339 Ahh I'll take some in a few days. Be patient.

But bad things have happened on this project. Haha.

Update: Last week I took the title of the new frame to the county clerk to get it transferred. Well I couldn't. The title was notarized but the notary didn't put a stamp by his signature so they nice folks at the county clerk wouldn't let me transfer the title in my name. I was unaware that a stamp was needed. If I had known this I wouldn't have bought this freaking frame. But I didn't. So I decided not to somehow find the notary to get the stamp. I figured I would just run into more problems along the way considering my luck.

Today I swapped everything back onto my slightly bent frame. It went much quicker this time. I am quite comfortable with tearing down my ninja now. I am just going to ride the bike the way it is until the end of July when the insurance is up and it is time to renew the registration. At that time I will probably sell the bike as is on CL and will buy either: another pregen 250, a newgen 250, a dual sport, or a supermotard. What ever is out there when I am looking.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:12 AM   #58
n4mwd

Couldn't you go back to the guy you bought the frame from and make him get it properly notarized?

Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM   #59
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

That stinks. Not sure how the notary system works in TN, but in NY, if they dont have the stamp, them they aren't a notary. Basically a notary gets the stamp that says they are a certified notary public, and when the certification expires. Theres a line on it where they sign it and date it and thats it. I would do what n4mwd suggested. I get everything notarized at my credit union, and because I bank there, they do it for free.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM   #60
Jono

Quote:
Couldn't you go back to the guy you bought the frame from and make him get it properly notarized?
Well possibly. It's just not worth the hassle. I bought the title from a guy who moved to Nebraska but the frame was at his moms in KY. He already signed the title and had it notarized in august of 2011, I guess before he moved. It is hard to read the notarys name and it may be hard to track down the guy.

I am just giving up on this. I want a nice bike again. This bike will never be the same and it is not worth putting more money into. I am throwing in the towel.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #61
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Juno, 2 words.....

TRACK BIKE!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM   #62
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Juno, 2 words.....

TRACK BIKE!

Oh how i wish I had the money to go to the track. But I am just a college kid, many hours and miles away from a track.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:20 PM   #63
tanman2003
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2007 Harley Davidson Nightster XL 1200N

Quote:
@JLinde1339 Ahh I'll take some in a few days. Be patient.

But bad things have happened on this project. Haha.

Update: Last week I took the title of the new frame to the county clerk to get it transferred. Well I couldn't. The title was notarized but the notary didn't put a stamp by his signature so they nice folks at the county clerk wouldn't let me transfer the title in my name. I was unaware that a stamp was needed. If I had known this I wouldn't have bought this freaking frame. But I didn't. So I decided not to somehow find the notary to get the stamp. I figured I would just run into more problems along the way considering my luck.

Today I swapped everything back onto my slightly bent frame. It went much quicker this time. I am quite comfortable with tearing down my ninja now. I am just going to ride the bike the way it is until the end of July when the insurance is up and it is time to renew the registration. At that time I will probably sell the bike as is on CL and will buy either: another pregen 250, a newgen 250, a dual sport, or a supermotard. What ever is out there when I am looking.
Just go to a bank and tell them you need that thing notarized and have them do it, if they wont go to another bank. eventually someone will do it.
tanman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #64
drdriftking007
Drdriftking007

Talking

Quote:
Well possibly. It's just not worth the hassle. I bought the title from a guy who moved to Nebraska but the frame was at his moms in KY. He already signed the title and had it notarized in august of 2011, I guess before he moved. It is hard to read the notarys name and it may be hard to track down the guy.

I am just giving up on this. I want a nice bike again. This bike will never be the same and it is not worth putting more money into. I am throwing in the towel.
I am a notary public

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:35 AM   #65
n4mwd

Quote:
Jono, how bad is the original frame? You never posted any photos of it. In many cases, it is possible to bend it back with the right tools. I am pretty sure that the frame is made from chromoly steel. Same stuff used in airplanes. There is a trick with an acetylene torch that can be used to bend tubing that might work in your case. Basically, they heat one side of the pipe red hot and it causes the pipe to bend when it cools. Its not something you should try yourself, but you might be able to find someone who could help you out.

If I still lived in TN, I would come over and give you a hand with it.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM   #66
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Find another notary that will do sign and stamp. Nothing ethically wrong with that. You paid for it and the seller signed the title, it's yours. I personally think your putting to much stock into how much they really care about the paperwork. You satisfy all their checkboxes, you will get your bike on the road.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:14 AM   #67
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ +1

don't through in the towel yet Jono!!! Your engine still works! What's a little signature to stop you???

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #68
Jono

I mean a notary signed it but didn't stamp it. So they refused to take it at the county clerks. I was like so what do I need to do, and she said I need to get THAT notary to put their stamp on it.

What is funny is that if the seller never got a notary then I could have easily titled the frame.

Quote:
Jono, how bad is the original frame? You never posted any photos of it. In many cases, it is possible to bend it back with the right tools. I am pretty sure that the frame is made from chromoly steel. Same stuff used in airplanes. There is a trick with an acetylene torch that can be used to bend tubing that might work in your case. Basically, they heat one side of the pipe red hot and it causes the pipe to bend when it cools. Its not something you should try yourself, but you might be able to find someone who could help you out.

If I still lived in TN, I would come over and give you a hand with it.

Mmmhm. I may look into it. But idk. The frame is just slightly bent. The steering tube is just tweaked a little to the right.

The bike is ride-able. And I will just ride it till then end of July the way it is then decide what I want to do.

I am leaning towards just buying another pregen and keeping this bike to mess around with and steal parts from if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ +1

don't through in the towel yet Jono!!! Your engine still works! What's a little signature to stop you???

Ehh I know right. I am just gonna ride the sh** outta the bike the way it is for another 3 months and then get a new/used bike.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:59 PM   #69
n4mwd

I think you should talk to some local bike repair shops and see what they say about bending the frame back.

But as a LAST RESORT, and I say this painfully, you could part out the bike. It usually takes a long time to sell all those parts, but in the end, you'll come out ahead. If the the engine doesn't have too many miles on it, then they tend to go for about $400-$500 alone (shipping is extra). Tires, rims, surviving plastic, carburetors, etc, all go for a good price on ebay. Its possible that you could sell most of the major parts in 6 months if you work at it and end up with enough to buy another pregen (with all its plastic) and maybe have some cash left over.

But like I said. That's a last resort. I'm not recommending it. But other people have done it. So its an option.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #70
Jono

~Pictures!~

So I stopped by Cycle Gear after my last final of the semester, Woooo, and I picked up these... http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ors/web1006842
It was the last thing I needed so I could legally ride the bike around without worrying about getting pulled over.

I went for a 40 mile ride around town just to make sure the bike is safe to ride since I took it apart twice and put it back together. Haha. And I just fell in love with riding all over again. It was the first time I have gone more than like 5 miles since I crashed. I am a little scared about going quick through curves now but I think with time I will be back to my old self.

As for the bike. She is working wonderfully minus the tweaked frame. But she is totally safe to ride. I am sure it would be a problem if I was traveling very fast through turns since it slightly turns one way better than the other but it isn't a big deal for me. I am just going to ride this bike till I save up enough money to buy a new bike.

Oh yeah and the pics...

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM   #71
n4mwd

You can probably see better with those than you could with the OEM ones.

Welcome back to riding.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM   #72
Jono

Quote:
You can probably see better with those than you could with the OEM ones.

Welcome back to riding.

Yeah they are much better than the stock mirrors. Now I can see more than just my shoulders/elbows.

One of the employees at Cycle Gear had them on his Gixxer and it really made that bike look sleek without those huge stock mirrors.

Oh and thanks!!!

Last futzed with by Jono; May 3rd, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Old May 4th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #73
TylersEM2
TylersEM2

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): None yet

That is freaking gorgeous. I'm not much of a naked bike guy, but that thing just looks awesome.

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #74
drdriftking007
Drdriftking007

Hey JONO,

How do you have your turn signals mounted?

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #75
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylersEM2 View Post
That is freaking gorgeous. I'm not much of a naked bike guy, but that thing just looks awesome.
Why Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdriftking007 View Post
Hey JONO,

How do you have your turn signals mounted?
They are zip tied to the fork ears that hold on the headlight. I know ghetto right? But it really doesn't look all that bad.

I popped the stock signals out of their mounting bracket, then cut a little hole throw the rubber on the signal. And fed a zip-tie through those little holes and just zipped em up to the fork ears. That probably makes no sense. Haha

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #76
drdriftking007
Drdriftking007

Quote:
Why Thank you!!

They are zip tied to the fork ears that hold on the headlight. I know ghetto right? But it really doesn't look all that bad.

I popped the stock signals out of their mounting bracket, then cut a little hole throw the rubber on the signal. And fed a zip-tie through those little holes and just zipped em up to the fork ears. That probably makes no sense. Haha
LOL is it possible you can take a pictuer of them close up?

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #77
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Sexay!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #78
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdriftking007 View Post
LOL is it possible you can take a pictuer of them close up?

Yeah, I can do that.

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #79
Jono

@drdriftking007

Hope this helps.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:38 PM   #80
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Got any side shots? Looks great! Ride nekkid!