ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 28th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #41
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Name: JJ

Motorcycle(s): 2018 Ninja 400 Race Bike (in progress...)

Got a full track weekend in with all of the new stuff on the 300, very pleased with the results! Compared to the first time out when I had the race-tech emulators in the forks, these Andreani full cartridge inserts are on a whole different level. Just did a few tweaks of the damping setup after the first session and then never touched a clicker again all weekend, it was pretty well spot-on. The chassis geometry was good with 15mm of fork tube above the triple, and 327mm eye-to-eye length on the Ohlins shock. The Pirelli SC1 race tires had great grip, and wore beautifully, with a full weekend on the tires they are hardly showing any wear at all. I took some video, I'll post it up after the files finish processing so I can put it on YouTube. Here's a pic of it on the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja300MPH.jpg (42.3 KB, 73 views)
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #42
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
if I ever win the lottery I'm copying you... Cept mine will be green

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #43
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Here's a couple laps of video aboard the 300. Motorsports Park Hastings is a really nice track, not super high-speed so it's fun for smaller bikes. Next time I'll have to tip the camera down a little more so the tach and speedo are visible, it would be interesting to check the speeds in some of the corners. The only one I paid attention to was Turn 3 which is the really fast right-hander, the fastest I could get was 80mph at the apex, I'd get to the top of 5th gear right before the turn, no brakes just downshift to 4th and right back on the gas. I tried not downshifting to carry more speed to the apex, but that's a no-go because the corner scrubs off speed and then it's way too low in the rev range and just dogs it coming out of the turn. I think the only way to go faster would be a really stiff tail-wind or a supercharger!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #44
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Looks good dood, hey, how much do you weigh? I'm gonna try cheating and using some of your settings to try to get a baseline at the track next weekend, even though we have different parts. I'm 6' 210. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #45
sprinter
ninjette.org member

I weigh 185 without gear, so about 200 in gear.

Old July 29th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #46
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
Looks good dood, hey, how much do you weigh? I'm gonna try cheating and using some of your settings to try to get a baseline at the track next weekend, even though we have different parts. I'm 6' 210. . .
Not a good idea Joel. He's using cartridge forks and an Ohlins rear shock completely different from what you're using.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #47
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Thanx Walt, sack up and come to Bdub and you can help. Any reference point is beneficial to me at this point, and JJ's settings are helpful either way. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #48
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great vid
How ya like the zero gravity windscreen?

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #49
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Great vid
How ya like the zero gravity windscreen?
It's ok, I wish it was a little taller and more rounded though, it's still hard to tuck behind. But there's really not much aerodynamic advantage to be had at only 85mph anyway. Riding with a couple of the 250 race bikes this weekend, they were all tucked in on the straight and I just sat up bolt upright and went by waving at them!

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #50
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm still comparing windscreens. I like the color of the sportisi, don't think it throws up enough air though. So lookin at all the double bubbles. Haha you shoulda got that on vid. I bet they were like wtf, burn

Old July 29th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #51
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I just ordered my Zero Gravity Clear Double Bubble today. I ordered it directly from Zero Gravity and they said they have plenty on the shelf so get your order in now.

Old July 29th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #52
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
I just ordered my Zero Gravity Clear Double Bubble today. I ordered it directly from Zero Gravity and they said they have plenty on the shelf so get your order in now.
Do I get some of your sponsorship discount???

Old July 29th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #53
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Do I get some of your sponsorship discount???
I don't have a Zero Gravity sponsorship yet. I'm still working on that one.

Old July 29th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #54
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
I don't have a Zero Gravity sponsorship yet. I'm still working on that one.
Best of luck, I've heard good things about ZG, just haven't pulled the trigger. Dunno if I want colored or no. A little more air pocket wouldn't hurt though

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #55
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Best of luck, I've heard good things about ZG, just haven't pulled the trigger. Dunno if I want colored or no. A little more air pocket wouldn't hurt though
Go with clear. Then it's useful on the street and the track.

Old July 29th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #56
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Durn... They have great colors out. I'm not racin my street 300, might take it to some track days... Race hardcore??? Nope

Old July 29th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #57
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sorry for goin bandit on your thread

Old July 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #58
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
No real reason other than I wanted to gear it taller and see what it will pull for top speed on the longest straight at the tracks we run. I figured I'd start there and then switch out if necessary. Right now, at Mid-America Motorplex it pulls 100mph on the speedo at the top of 5th gear on about a 1/3 mile long straight. When I can get up to Brainerd or Road American we'll see what 6th gear does.
nice bike! where are you from? let me know when you go to RA. it's only 1 hr from me. i believe all the track days this year are done at RA. but next year, maybe i'll finally take my 250 out there. kind of scared of all the long straights tho. lol

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #59
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
nice bike! where are you from? let me know when you go to RA. it's only 1 hr from me. i believe all the track days this year are done at RA. but next year, maybe i'll finally take my 250 out there. kind of scared of all the long straights tho. lol
Check out Blackhawk Farms for track days. Not sure when/if they run there, but it's a better track to run on for your first track day, especially on a 250.

There is a Supermoto/Kart track it RA also, and they have riding schools that would be a good way to get some track experience.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #60
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
In Omaha, Nebraska, our home tracks here are Mid-America Motorplex and Motorsports Park Hastings, but we get around the region quite a bit to other tracks, normally High Plains, Heartland Park, Putnam Park, and occasionally Hallett, Road America and others. Haven't been to RA in a couple years now, but not sure I'd want to run the 300 there, it's such a fast track, I'd probably take the Panigale out for that one! We'll be out at Putnam Park on the Monday after the MotoGP in Indy in a few weeks.

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #61
9lives
ninjette.org member

Name: Walter

Motorcycle(s): Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
Thanx Walt, sack up and come to Bdub and you can help. Any reference point is beneficial to me at this point, and JJ's settings are helpful either way. . .
I've already offered to help you get it dialed in. I still feel the best way is to work with Tige and James though since they did your suspension.
9lives is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:17 AM   #62
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Check out Blackhawk Farms for track days. Not sure when/if they run there, but it's a better track to run on for your first track day, especially on a 250.

There is a Supermoto/Kart track it RA also, and they have riding schools that would be a good way to get some track experience.
I've been to BFR multiple times. Just finished a weekend track session. I'll be going to try out Autobahn full course on labor day. We'll see how that goes.

Quote:
In Omaha, Nebraska, our home tracks here are Mid-America Motorplex and Motorsports Park Hastings, but we get around the region quite a bit to other tracks, normally High Plains, Heartland Park, Putnam Park, and occasionally Hallett, Road America and others. Haven't been to RA in a couple years now, but not sure I'd want to run the 300 there, it's such a fast track, I'd probably take the Panigale out for that one! We'll be out at Putnam Park on the Monday after the MotoGP in Indy in a few weeks.
nice, you guys certainly do some travelling. I agree the Ducati will be much better for RA. Are you running the 300 at Putnam? Let us know how that goes, I've heard it's a good track from riders on 600's, curious how a 250 or 300 would do. If it's decent maybe one day I'll have to visit there as well.

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:46 AM   #63
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
nice, you guys certainly do some travelling. I agree the Ducati will be much better for RA. Are you running the 300 at Putnam? Let us know how that goes, I've heard it's a good track from riders on 600's, curious how a 250 or 300 would do. If it's decent maybe one day I'll have to visit there as well.
Don't know for sure yet, depends if we have room for it in the trailer or not. I'm taking the Ducati for sure since it's kind of a Ducati-sponsored track day, but I'd love to ride the 300 around there too if possible. Other than the front straight, the rest of the track would be great on a small bike.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:47 PM   #64
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
re you running the 300 at Putnam? Let us know how that goes, I've heard it's a good track from riders on 600's, curious how a 250 or 300 would do. If it's decent maybe one day I'll have to visit there as well.
paging @csmith12, he rides Putnam pretty often on the 250.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:58 PM   #65
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
DO ET! Come ride with us on the 10th, better yet... race with us on the 11th.

600 record is a 1:13 the current 250 record is a low 1:27 and I don't expect that to last much longer. 3 riders are known to put down those kinda times and one of them just commented on this thread.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:47 AM   #66
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM   #67
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
DO ET! Come ride with us on the 10th, better yet... race with us on the 11th.

600 record is a 1:13 the current 250 record is a low 1:27 and I don't expect that to last much longer. 3 riders are known to put down those kinda times and one of them just commented on this thread.
Oh man, now I HAVE to take the 300 along! I think the fastest I have done there is a low 1:2x something on my old 848 race bike, wonder if I could break 1:30 on the 300??

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:09 PM   #68
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I feel as though I have now contributed to the ninja 300 record-holding lap time at Putnam. Woot!

Good luck JJ, keep the videos coming
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #69
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

The front straight isn't really all that bad on a 250. Just long enough to top it out and then you gotta shut some of it down for turn one. I binned it in turn one my last race there. And if your skeerd of the wall, you can gain nearly a full second by hammering turn 10.

Fyi, the track is more suited to stock gearing.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM   #70
sprinter
ninjette.org member

I'll definitely haul it along to Putnam if we have room in the trailer! We'll be out at Mid-America Motorplex on Monday so I'll take another video over there. That's a faster track so will be a bit different. I just installed a quick-turn throttle, and modified the steering stops to tighten up the range a little bit so I could move the clip-ons out a little more. Also taking of the ignition switch and right-hand switchgear and replacing with small toggle switches to drop some more weight. I take a pic of that all as soon as it's done.

Still looking for engine parts, anyone know of racing pistons or cams available for this motor yet??

Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM   #71
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Here's the modified steering stops, we drilled the stock tabs on the bottom triple and tapped it for a 4mm screw, then put a screw with a locknut on there to make it adjustable.

Here's the quick-turn throttle. It's from cycle pirates.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:42 PM   #72
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Wow, I just noticed in the picture the freakin' HORN is still on there!! That's coming off right now, I can't believe I missed that!

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:02 PM   #73
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Gold valve emulators are mine... all mine! eggcelllent! thanks Jarel
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #74
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Gold valve emulators are mine... all mine! eggcelllent! thanks Jarel
Hey, no problem, enjoy! Somebody still needs to take that Ohlins shock off my hands, it's just sitting in a box in the corner of the shop after being replaced by the TTX! Only has ONE track day on it, sprung for 170-200lb. rider. They're $900 new, but our shop is an Ohlins service center so I didn't pay that much for it. First one to PM me a reasonable offer can have it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ohlins.JPG (150.6 KB, 16 views)

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM   #75
Lychee
sail away

$50!!!! Repeat customer.... ya know

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:36 PM   #76
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
$50!!!! Repeat customer.... ya know
Sorry, I guess I should have capitalized and bolded the word REASONABLE!

Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:01 PM   #77
Lychee
sail away

Was just joking, would have pm'ed if I had one.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #78
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Got the RH switch removed and replaced with a toggle and push-button starter. Couldn't get rid of the ignition key yet, we didn't have the right resistor laying around for it, so I'll have to work on that again next week. The plan is to wire the engine stop switch to be always on and then use the toggle for the ignition switch, so it will be nice and clean.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #79
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Coming right along
Dang that's a pricey piece o rear suspension

Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM   #80
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Hey, no problem, enjoy! Somebody still needs to take that Ohlins shock off my hands, it's just sitting in a box in the corner of the shop after being replaced by the TTX! Only has ONE track day on it, sprung for 170-200lb. rider. They're $900 new, but our shop is an Ohlins service center so I didn't pay that much for it. First one to PM me a reasonable offer can have it!
I bid 2 bills! Who is gunna beat me?