ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Weight On The Pegs? No, right?

So I've been hanging off a bit lately (not trying to drag knee) just to get my body/muscles used it and what not.

Anywho, there was a few times I was putting my weight on the foot peg. As in: right turn corner, hang off to the right, weight on the right foot peg.

I shouldn't be doing this, correct? It seems... dangerous but I did it a couple of times.

My first track day isn't anytime soon so I was hoping someone can shed some light. Should I put a little on it? No, right? I should be supporting myself with my butt on the seat and the left knee, correct?
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showforum=2
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

You are supposed to stand up on the pegs when riding over an obstacle. Yes, they should hold your weight. That said,The Duck had one crack off under his weight and he was the same as me (had to be a casting flaw).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
For that right turn corner:

Before entering the turn, and using the leverage of your knees against the gas tank, slide your butt off+put pressure on the left peg+hook your left forearm and left knee against the tank, right side of your body to be relaxed in whatever natural position it takes.

To switch hang off to the opposite side, use the leverage of your knees, trying to upset the bike the less possible.

Pegs can take whatever amount of weight that you wish putting on them.
The reasons for putting pressure on the left peg are two: increase friction between the peg and your boot for a more effective hooking of the left knee, and using the peg as a pivot point for the initial countersteering pushing effort of the right hand (which can be hard to do at high speeds).

Note the quick flick for banking of the bike in the video and the change in the visual direction of the rider entering the turn.

Be gentle on the steering bar at all times, except while countersteering; it is not a handle.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Note the quick flick for banking of the bike in the video and the change in the visual direction of the rider entering the turn.
That riders "quick visual change" in the video, conflicts with TOWT2's 2 step method. Doesn't look locked on until until apex either but I guess it works for him.

I don't feel locked on unless most of my weight is supported by my outside leg/knee against the tank, not by my inside foot on the peg.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I couldn't understand a word in that video. They must be from somewhere outside the US. That rider rides like a girl and the bike isn't Japanese. It actually looks Italian. It would handle much better if it was a 250.

Old April 14th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

What is wrong with riding like a girl???? lol
He looks like he is learning and not yet 100% confident to me.

Old April 14th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #8
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Weight on the outside peg. It does 2 things.
  • stands the bike up a little
  • helps your outside leg lock onto the tank better
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
thats a great video. for once speaking japanese has come in handy. they make a great point about setting up for the turn before you shut off the gas so you dont unsettle the bike as much.

i pin my outside knee into the tank and hold it there by pushing on the outisde peg. heel against the gaurd. this makes it so you can be hanging off but still have a little bit of leg-suspension or whatever you want to call it. plus the side of your leg is much easier to use to hold you back/on the bike when braking hard so you dont put as much weight on the bars. i dont like putting weight on the inside leg though... it feels weird when you drag stuff when you weight the inside. doesn't feel as bad if you dont have any weight on it.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #10
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

HAI

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Francis

Do you put weight on the outside leg during braking, before leaning, or once you start leaning/counter-steering?

As in.. when's the time to start putting weight on the outside peg?

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You want to get your body position set up before you initiate your turn (countersteering). This is because you want to keep the bike as settled and smooth as you can the whole way through the turn. If you're still setting up your body positioning/weighting during the turn, you're going to make the weight of the bike shift around, which can be unsteadying.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Francis

Hmm.. I was also told that you should get into position before braking. I take it as "hang your cheek off, THEN brake."

But that doesn't make sense.... Wouldn't both of your knees have a harder time trying to support your body when your ass is off to the side?

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Do you put weight on the outside leg during braking, before leaning, or once you start leaning/counter-steering?

As in.. when's the time to start putting weight on the outside peg?
Take a left corner for example;

Push/weight on the peg with your right foot/leg, then push to the inside with left knee to "slide" one butt cheek off the seat. Your upper body leads the way all in one smooth motion. Your left knee will leave the tanks side at some point during this motion and be in the "knee out"position when you begin braking. It might sound complex but it's really not. For example; stand feet together and jump forward and to the left. Do you lead with your upper body? Do you use your right leg as the main launching/power leg?

As a rider continues through the turn the right leg will bare a lot of the weight to hold the rider in place and some of that weight will naturally go to the peg.

This doesn't feel "completely" right until you pair up trailbraking to finish it off. Which is not really a "street" technique that is practiced often. Because track braking is nearly the exact opposite as street braking. Brake hard at first and then trail off the brakes as your nearing the apex (not max lean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Hmm.. I was also told that you should get into position before braking. I take it as "hang your cheek off, THEN brake."

But that doesn't make sense.... Wouldn't both of your knees have a harder time trying to support your body when your ass is off to the side?
Yes your right, hence so many questions in this area.

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Sorry had to edit that post a few times to get it right.

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #16
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Something I think should be noted...

Not all riders are the same. Many professional riders do not follow all of what Keith Code takes note of in the TWOTW books/videos. I have actually heard of a different perspective of thinking that is quite different from the way Keith Code shows when cornering. TWOTW tends to work for most riders, and has proven itself in that. I think, though, that the end result/action/motion tends to be the same, but thinking about it one way is easier to understand/do than another.

And 2, I think that rider in the video IS a girl, though I could be wrong about that.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Something I think should be noted...

Not all riders are the same. Many professional riders do not follow all of what Keith Code takes note of in the TWOTW books/videos. I have actually heard of a different perspective of thinking that is quite different from the way Keith Code shows when cornering. TWOTW tends to work for most riders, and has proven itself in that. I think, though, that the end result/action/motion tends to be the same, but thinking about it one way is easier to understand/do than another.

And 2, I think that rider in the video IS a girl, though I could be wrong about that.
+1
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote