Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joanna

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Hi from Jersey!

Hi!

My name is Joanna and I'm from New Jersey. My husband and I took are motorcycle license tests last May through one of the Rider Safety courses offered in our state. We loved it and would suggest it to anyone who wants to ride. (It was tough, but worth it.)

Since then, he found and started riding a Harley Sportster 1100 and I haven't found anything! The 1100 is way too big for me and I just don't like how the Harleys run. (Don't tell my family I said that, they'll beat me!) :P

I was thinking about getting a Ninja 250. We've done some internet research and it seems to be the best starter (and possibly keeper) bike for me.

I don't have much riding experience.

Any advice is appreciated!
Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Mistyfate! Glad you found us...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Fly'in Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): C-250R-ST

Welcome!! The ninja 250 is easy and friendly to ride for newbies!!
Fly'in Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #4
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Welcome Joanna, congrats on the course, great idea.

The Ninja 250 is a great starter bike and like you said can keep a long time. I have had lots of bikes and 2 were Sportsters (a 1200 and a 883), pairing up with a Sportster 1100 isn't too far off from the Ninja 250... The 250 is a little quicker than an 883 Sportster in the 1/4 mile but the nice thing is the 250 is a 6 speed and the 883/1200 Sportys are 5 speeds so the highway would be a little better on the 250.

Anyway, after many street bikes from supermotos, many sport bikes and a Street Glide I'm now down to riding my Ninja 250 as my only bike and love it.

Best of luck to you guys, enjoy and search around on the forum as there is lots of great info here.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyfate View Post
I was thinking about getting a Ninja 250. We've done some internet research and it seems to be the best starter (and possibly keeper) bike for me.
Couldn't have said it better
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I ride into Jersey few times a month. Hoboken, New Brunswick, Belle Mead, Lambertville,.. don't get out to the shore or southern Jersey much though.
Hunterdon County has some great motorcycling roads.. that's mostly where I ride.
Van Sant Airport is a regular motorcyclist handout, surrounded by great motorcyclist roads. If you ever see a yellow Ninja 250 there with a tank bag, look around for its owner and I could let you have a ride on it:

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

Wow, everyone! Thank you for your warm welcome and awesome advice!!! It is much appreciated.

Slolane - When I originally posted, I mentioned the 1100 Sportster...I meant the 1200. (I was literally sitting in the jury pool for jury duty and they called my name as I was posting... so I didn't have time to edit and catch my goof.) We actually have the 1200 and an 883 sitting in our garage. (The 883 is my husband's cousin's.) I've ridden the 883 once -- I didn't like how it idled or how much throttle it needed to get going.

And I feel so new (bc I am!) to riding... it is nice to hear what everyone's experiences (with different types of bikes) have been. I get to learn vicariously through you guys.

"A" - I'll be keeping an eye out for your yellow Ninja 250.

Anyone know if the third generations would fit into a 6 foot truck bed?

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:

Anyone know if the third generations would fit into a 6 foot truck bed?
what kind of truck is it? it should. you can either load it and tie it down straight in and leave the tailgate down, if it's too long or load the bike diagonally in the bed and I'm quite sure it will fit so the the tail gate can be shut.

welcome to ninjette.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Slolane - When I originally posted, I mentioned the 1100 Sportster...I meant the 1200. (I was literally sitting in the jury pool for jury duty and they called my name as I was posting... so I didn't have time to edit and catch my goof.) We actually have the 1200 and an 883 sitting in our garage. (The 883 is my husband's cousin's.) I've ridden the 883 once -- I didn't like how it idled or how much throttle it needed to get going.
Cool, they did make 1100's a while back so I didn't know for sure.

In stock form the 883 you rode is just a wee bit slower than the 250, the 250 will feel a bit more refined and with it being a lot lighter it feels faster/more nimble as well.

883 = 565 lbs.
250 = 375 lbs.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #10
dragonfly
ninjette.org member

Name: Erica

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Blue Ninja 250

Hello and welcome My husband has a Harley as well and it was not what I wanted. I recently started riding and I am happy I went with the 250. Love my bike!
dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #11
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #12
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Welcome!!

Old April 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

The truck we have access to is a 2001 Dodge Dakota. We were figuring we could fit a Ninja in one way or another... but it never hurts to ask.

Old April 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #14
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #15
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Name: Anuj

Motorcycle(s): '08 250r!

Hey Joanna! I am also in NJ. Where are you and your husband from?
itsmeanuj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #16
kkim

Quote:
The truck we have access to is a 2001 Dodge Dakota. We were figuring we could fit a Ninja in one way or another... but it never hurts to ask.
just be careful when tying the bike down in the bed that you don't end up pinching/cutting any wiring on the handlebars or scratching the plastic bodywork due to the tie downs touching. it takes some maneuvering and planning, but should be very doable in the Dakota.

pics when you get it.

Old April 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #17
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

kkim - Thanks for the heads up about the tie-downs. I'm heading down tomorrow to take a look at the bike. It sounds promising.

Itsmeanuj - My husband and I live in West Orange. (And to be VERY JERSEY... Exit 145 off the Parkway.) :P Where are you from?

Last futzed with by Mistyfate; April 19th, 2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo

Old April 16th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #18
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Hello and welcome My husband has a Harley as well and it was not what I wanted. I recently started riding and I am happy I went with the 250. Love my bike!
It's funny... I think my husband wants a Kawasaki now. We went to a motorcycle showroom today, and he sat on the 250 and he was AMAZED at how light-weight it was. Then he went over to the Versys and wanted to sit on that.

Other than the Harley, he really had no experience with other bikes. I think that, in researching a bike for me, his eyes were opened to many other possibilities. He might ditch his Sportser after this summer.

I can't wait to start riding!

Old April 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
It's funny... I think my husband wants a Kawasaki now. We went to a motorcycle showroom today, and he sat on the 250 and he was AMAZED at how light-weight it was. Then he went over to the Versys and wanted to sit on that.

Other than the Harley, he really had no experience with other bikes. I think that, in researching a bike for me, his eyes were opened to many other possibilities. He might ditch his Sportser after this summer.
lol... classic!

Old April 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #20
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #21
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
kkim - Thanks for the heads up about the tie-downs. I'm heading down tomorrow to take a look at the bike. It sounds promising.

Imeanuj - My husband and I live in West Orange. (And to be VERY JERSEY... Exit 145 off the Parkway.) :P Where are you from?
haha I also quote Parkway exits... right off 153! in Clifton. Maybe we'll see each other around.

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #22
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeanuj View Post
haha I also quote Parkway exits... right off 153! in Clifton. Maybe we'll see each other around.
Maybe at Rutt's Hut! :P

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #23
itsmeanuj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Maybe at Rutt's Hut! :P
hahah when my family first moved to Clifton in '97 I was in middle school. I actually used to live nearby there. I remember those bike nights but it was mostly non-sportbikes. I know on 46 in Totowa/Wayne there are Bike Nights and also on Route 17 down in East Rutherford area there are also bike nights.

What else do you know about Clifton lol .. I actually went to school nearby you for a year! (Seton Hall).

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #24
ninjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 12 Ninja 1000

Hey welcome aboard Mistyfate! I did a lot of research before buying my little 250r... I love how easy they are to learn on, great gas mileage, aerodynamic, quiet, comfortable and they just flat out look fast! I have buddys with the big old cruisers and taking those suckers out looks like a chore to me... I read on other forums how a lot of riders go through the bigger and bigger bike phases and then circle back around to our little ninja in the end. Then again, I hope your family doesn't beat you if you buy one!!
ninjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #25
Mistyfate
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeanuj View Post
hahah when my family first moved to Clifton in '97 I was in middle school. I actually used to live nearby there. I remember those bike nights but it was mostly non-sportbikes. I know on 46 in Totowa/Wayne there are Bike Nights and also on Route 17 down in East Rutherford area there are also bike nights.

What else do you know about Clifton lol .. I actually went to school nearby you for a year! (Seton Hall).
I know Clifton Commons too! Tick Tock Diner (although I've never been there). I would go to Rutt's Hut with my dad when I was younger. We would sometimes go for bike night and other times just for the hotdogs!

Did you go to SH for high school or college?

I'm lucky because I have at least three other people to ride around with (my hubs and a few friends). So whether we go for a ride around town or to a bike specific venue, I'll have my mini-crew. I'll also have people to teach me more about riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjohn View Post
Hey welcome aboard Mistyfate! I did a lot of research before buying my little 250r... I love how easy they are to learn on, great gas mileage, aerodynamic, quiet, comfortable and they just flat out look fast! I have buddys with the big old cruisers and taking those suckers out looks like a chore to me... I read on other forums how a lot of riders go through the bigger and bigger bike phases and then circle back around to our little ninja in the end. Then again, I hope your family doesn't beat you if you buy one!!
My dad has one of those big old cruisers (Harley Ultra Classic). And, whoa, those bad boys are heavy. I literally couldn't even get the thing to budge! I think those big bikes are nice if you are a passenger though!