ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #1
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Where can i get candy lime green paint?

I'm trying to get a hold of some candy lime green paint to paint small areas of my bike. I'm in the process of painting it due to some body damage and not liking the factory color. I'm going for a "deep" candy lime color, similar to the metallic grey/candy green of the z1000. I'm looking for a spray can of it too. I've found one by Alsa , but the reviews seem to be bad and say that the color doesn't come out as advertised. I've also found a candy lime green by duplicolor in a pint that I could spray, but I don't know if I need to mix it or do anything to it besides spray it and spray it with clear. Does anyone know where I could find this color in a can? I'm staying away from the factory stuff that's 60$ and up for a 11oz can too. The ALSA paint is expensive enough at $30 a can. Let me know. Thanks!
garyg199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #2
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I am sure Kawasaki sells a "repair pen" I know this company does
http://www.colorrite.com
not sure of anyone else
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #3
ZeroGravity360

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #4
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg199 View Post
I'm trying to get a hold of some candy lime green paint to paint small areas of my bike. I'm in the process of painting it due to some body damage and not liking the factory color. I'm going for a "deep" candy lime color, similar to the metallic grey/candy green of the z1000. I'm looking for a spray can of it too. I've found one by Alsa , but the reviews seem to be bad and say that the color doesn't come out as advertised. I've also found a candy lime green by duplicolor in a pint that I could spray, but I don't know if I need to mix it or do anything to it besides spray it and spray it with clear. Does anyone know where I could find this color in a can? I'm staying away from the factory stuff that's 60$ and up for a 11oz can too. The ALSA paint is expensive enough at $30 a can. Let me know. Thanks!
@ZeroGravity360
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #5
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Thats what I get for skimming the post...

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #6
ZeroGravity360

http://www.colorrite.com/product/kaw...green-1504.cfm

This is the color that is said to be on the z1000
I am not sure if you meant not factory at all... or what, but if youre not talking about facotry color on the z1000 I am not sure anyone can help you with out a paint number or chip

Old June 7th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #7
garyg199
ninjette.org member

I just want something that's close to that. Doesn't have to be that exact one. I want a "deep" (dark) candy lime. I'm gonna spray over black or silver though so I'm sure that'll do the trick. It's just about finding the right paint. I need more then a touch up pen anyway. Plus it's about 20$ for one and I found a pint from duplicolor that looks good. 22$ bucks for the pint

Old June 7th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #8
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Oh and I meant not liking MY factory color..the "Thunder blue". I am looking for something closest to the z1000 color, just don't want to pay 100 dollars to paint a few spots yknow.

Old June 7th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #9
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Oh and I meant not liking MY factory color..the "Thunder blue". I am looking for something closest to the z1000 color, just don't want to pay 100 dollars to paint a few spots yknow.
AH! okay, well I know the Kia Soul has a simular green if you were looking to get a cheap car paint

Old June 7th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #10
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Thunder blue with lime green spots?!?

English & communication are a bitch!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #11
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Oh boy. I'm trying to do this ! Don't hate on it because I did this on a picture editing app on my phone. It's for selfies so yeah lol.

Bottom picture is how I want it to look overall. It's the z1000. Minor differences though. Kind of want to do just straight metallic black. Kind of nervous to do it in the metallic mate carbon grey or whatever it is.

Do you think the duplicolor would be good? 22 bucks a pint isn't too bad. And it looks to be close enough to what u want.

Has anyone ever done a candy paint job? Not sure ignore should spray the candy lime over black or silver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicsArt_06-06-10.51.25.jpg (68.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png 4lucxbfp.mex.png (219.5 KB, 3 views)

Old June 7th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I have never done it, but adding a "candy" mix to one of the undercoats of clear can add hints of the color over black that only show in the sunlight or angles of light. My far neighbor is good at it, but his work is too rich for my blood.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #13
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Eh I want the green to pop. I just don't want it to look like the typical kawi green. I feel like it looks a little cheap honestly. Maybe I will mix a candy/pearl grey into the clear to go over the black. I want it black but I think hints of grey/carbon would look great. Thanks for the idea. I guess I'll just go with the car paint that I found. I don't want to take a chance on the cans that have bad reviews. Fart face out.

Old June 8th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I haven't found a duplicolor paint I wouldn't spray... I've sprayed some I thought was ugly from the start but hey I don't always pick the colors

I think your bike would look sweet with the z1000 scheme

Old June 8th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #15
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I haven't found a duplicolor paint I wouldn't spray... I've sprayed some I thought was ugly from the start but hey I don't always pick the colors

I think your bike would look sweet with the z1000 scheme
Thanks man. That makes me feel more confident. I've been looking around and I definitely am gonna go with the duplicolor. I'm a little worried about the green being it's candy "apple" green and not necessarily lime green but I'm gonna try it. The Alsa paint is actual Candy lime green but it's got bad reviews and it's more money for a can that it is for a pint of duplicolor.

Which duplicolor paint do you think is closest to the grey/carbon on the z1000? The Perfect match platinum looked pretty close, but there's a few colors that look like it in the series. Just wanna get it right. Otherwise I was just gonna go with metallic black and green but that seems boring. Anyone know if there's a duplicolor color chart out there?

Old June 9th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #16
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Eh I want the green to pop. I just don't want it to look like the typical kawi green. I feel like it looks a little cheap honestly. Maybe I will mix a candy/pearl grey into the clear to go over the black. I want it black but I think hints of grey/carbon would look great. Thanks for the idea. I guess I'll just go with the car paint that I found. I don't want to take a chance on the cans that have bad reviews. Fart face out.
The 2012 versions of the 250s have the candy lime green rather than just the typical lime green. Might find some pictures and see if you like it. Mine is candy and I like it a lot.

Old June 9th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #17
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
The 2012 versions of the 250s have the candy lime green rather than just the typical lime green. Might find some pictures and see if you like it. Mine is candy and I like it a lot.
Would you happen to know the color code? It's just so much money for the actual Kawasaki paint

Old June 9th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #18
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Would you happen to know the color code?
Just use ColorRite's bike selector or the Kawasaki parts diagram.

FYI, the 2009 Metallic Diablo Black (listed as 17K on the 500 and 15Q on the 250) looks like a pretty standard (but deep) black from any distance, but has a lot of sparkle in it up close.

(Ignore the streaks, I wasn't done yet.)

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You'd be a better paint matcher than me at this distance.

Paint is pretty adjustable these days with all the fancy pearls / undercoats
/ etc etc its pretty much trial and error unless you have a pro on the payroll...
If its too candy apple for ya throw some neon yellow pearl, a yellow mettalic, or your best guess at what will get you the color cheap in it (will still be cheaper tha the high dollar stuff you are avoiding) test, tune, tryout small batch, then go whole hog
I had there color chart / have seen it in books - I would be surprised if you cat for it online, but monitors usually don't show the truest colors

Quote:
Thanks man. That makes me feel more confident. I've been looking around and I definitely am gonna go with the duplicolor. I'm a little worried about the green being it's candy "apple" green and not necessarily lime green but I'm gonna try it. The Alsa paint is actual Candy lime green but it's got bad reviews and it's more money for a can that it is for a pint of duplicolor.

Which duplicolor paint do you think is closest to the grey/carbon on the z1000? The Perfect match platinum looked pretty close, but there's a few colors that look like it in the series. Just wanna get it right. Otherwise I was just gonna go with metallic black and green but that seems boring. Anyone know if there's a duplicolor color chart out there?

Old June 9th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #20
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Oh yeah I didn't even think of mixing in yellow to the green. Or I could spray a little yellow on first. I've also heard of people spray over like golds or other greens and stuff with the candy paint. I feel like gold will be to weird looking

Old June 9th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #21
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Mix a small batch, Paint something small... go from there. It's always better to waste a little paint than to ruin a whole batch or even worse the whole job. Do it just like you would the big batch though... Painting abs go find a piece of scrap abs plastic, paint it about the starting color, then go over small areas in your various theories of what will look right; you will be happy you did when you see how much money and headaches you saved yourself... You can do it! Anyone can! Two of the main things that makes pro painters pros is practice and knowing how to have less troubles than the folks that just throw paint around.

Old June 9th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #22
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
To get lime from green it takes yellow and sometimes white (for the lighter softer shades) depending on the color you start with...

Metallic gold under Candy gives a great shade... Light and vibrant

You can even mix your own candy if you have enough stuff to work with, but it's usually cheaper just to buy it for a small amount... It takes clear, pigment, pearls, blah blah blah
Candy apple red comes more from the brownish tinted clear more than any other ingredient In the mix

Old June 9th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #23
garyg199
ninjette.org member

Being the z100 base color is "metallic matte" graphite gray...if I get something like this duplicolor paint...which is metallic, and put a matte clear on it, will I be able to get a metallic matte finish? Or would it not work with the other clear coat? I want to use the 2k clear that's supposedly the best and protects against fuel spillage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tkzqjvyv.i2k.jpg (7.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DUP-BGM0344__40508__32886.1365871632.480.400.jpg (21.5 KB, 1 views)

Old June 10th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I havent sprayed them myself so I can't give you a definitive answer on how they will spray together but
That's the way clearcoat works; gloss = shiny / matte= not shiny

It will be metallic under matte sprayed the way you're talkin so it sounds like what you are lookin for- I'd bet the farm on that

Last futzed with by JohnnyBravo; June 10th, 2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Betting the farm
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote