ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 24th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Looking for tool

Any good tools for bleeding your brakes? I would just want a good quality kit.

Old July 24th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
All you really need is an 8mm wrench for the bleeder, some tubing sized to fit over the nipple, a mayonnaise jar and fresh brake fluid.

Google is your friend here. Do some video searches for the technique.

If you want to get a bit fancier, Motion Pro has a handy widget that eliminates the need for the wrench and has an internal check valve. I picked one of these up but have yet to use it. The advantage that I see is one less thing to manage... with the wrench there can be time when you wish you had a third hand. In theory the check valve can also keep air from getting back into the system, but if you're doing it right this can't happen anyway.

There are also vacuum gadgets, but people get mixed results with them.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; July 25th, 2016 at 05:04 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
A vacuume pump is a nice thing to help . You don't need it but it does help.

Old July 24th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
A vacuume pump is a nice thing to help . You don't need it but it does help.
what brand? and where can I get it? I would want one that will last me awhile.

Old July 24th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
This is what I use .
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...FYcCaQod-YkPPQ

There are others but I like this. The problem with the hand held pump is any fluid in the pump and the pump will fail.
This thing works very well. But don't use it for gasoline. That is dangerous ant also will swell the rubber parts.
This thing is the expensive one because it will push or pull fluids. It can be used to change oil. Or remove excess fork oil. Or it will do neat thing like if you over fill a trans. You can just pull out a little. There is a cheaper one that only has a vacuum

Old July 24th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #6
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I tried one of the cheap plastic vacuum pump bleeders from Advanced Auto. It sucked, well no it didn't suck and that was the problem. I went back to just bleeding the brakes like normal.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The problem with the little hand pump is you need to use it along with the normal method of bleeding. Run the hose to the bleeder cup. Then a hose to the brake caliper bleeder. Then pump up the brakes. Then pump up the vacuum pump and open the bleed screw. All while keeping the hoses from poping off. And you also need to remove the bleed screw and put grease on the threads or it will leak air. Just very complicated to do alone.

With the big bleeder you just pump it up and ope the bleeder. And make sure you don't suck all the fluid out. The. You have to start over.

Old July 25th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
The problem with the little hand pump is you need to use it along with the normal method of bleeding. Run the hose to the bleeder cup. Then a hose to the brake caliper bleeder. Then pump up the brakes. Then pump up the vacuum pump and open the bleed screw. All while keeping the hoses from poping off. And you also need to remove the bleed screw and put grease on the threads or it will leak air. Just very complicated to do alone.

With the big bleeder you just pump it up and ope the bleeder. And make sure you don't suck all the fluid out. The. You have to start over.
Ahhh, I was opening up the bleeder, then pumping the vacuum pump. Just created a mess and I gave up on it.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
If you want to get a bit fancier, Motion Pro has a handy widget that eliminates the need for the wrench and has an internal check valve. I picked one of these up but have yet to use it. The advantage that I see is one less thing to manage... with the wrench there can be time when you wish you had a third hand. In theory the check valve can also keep air from getting back into the system, but if you're doing it right this can't happen anyway.

FYI http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143

You can buy a pair of replacement Speed Bleeders that have check valves built-in for cheaper than that (the ones for the EX500 are cheaper than OEM even, might be the same part number for the 250). They only work on the one bike you install them on, instead of any bike you use the tool on, but they're always there and dead simple to use. You just do the standard bleed process, but the valve means you don't have constantly open and close the bleeder as you're doing it - you just leave it open the whole time, and the check valve opens as closes as necessary.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
This weekend, I was at the track for 2 days with about 100 cars with owners with budgets that are LARGE. And you know what they use... A hose, a bottle (I use a mt. dew bottle) and a wrench. This is how the brakes were bleed on a 1mil dollar Ferrari in garage 23. However, there was no pumping the pedal between openings. The bleeder guy shouted, "peddle up", did his thing, then shouted "peddle down", did his thing.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
You can buy a pair of replacement Speed Bleeders that have check valves built-in.
Be sure to check sizes. For some bizarre reason, they don't make speed bleeders that fit the calipers on my GSX-R. Given that Bill uses 'em, though, safe to assume they make a size appropriate for the Ninjette.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #12
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
...The bleeder guy shouted, "peddle up", did his thing, then shouted "peddle down", did his thing.
We holler "In" and "Out" around here...

Speedbleeders are kind of handy (haven't put one on the KLR250 yet, though. Probably won't bother).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Be sure to check sizes. For some bizarre reason, they don't make speed bleeders that fit the calipers on my GSX-R. Given that Bill uses 'em, though, safe to assume they make a size appropriate for the Ninjette.
I don't use them yet, but plan to get a set some day (I actually haven't touched the bleeders on my bike yet). They sell a bunch of different sizes, in regular and stainless. I'm one of the people I usually trust, but I always suggest double-checking any part numbers before spending your own money. It looks like most Kawasakis use either SB7100S or SB8125L, which are the numbers they have listed respectively for the later PreGens and NewGens.

I assume there's probably one to fit your GSX-R too (they have a lot of different years and displacements listed), but I'm guessing nobody has happened to buy one for that particular size/generation yet. Next time you have your brakes apart, check the thread and length, and I bet you'll be able to find one to fit. If you can cross-reference your OEM bleeder part with another bike's, you might not even need to measure it yourself (but then the double-checking thing again...).

(I'm still trying to figure out how you install one on the 250/500's cable-operated clutch.)

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote