ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Giggling_Donkey
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Left Turn Signal Issue

Hi everyone. New to the forums. New to the Kawi Ninja. New to the moto world, in general. I just bought my 2012 Ninja 250r a week ago, & have discovered an issue with the turn signals.

So here's the rundown. The previous owner installed an integrated tail light, kept the OEM signal relay, & utilized 2 50w resistors. I've since clipped off the resistors, & replaced the signal relay with a LED-compatible one from TST Industries. So now, the right side turn signal works, but the left side keeps blowing the 10a fuse. Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:

I've snipped off the b/w wire that was spliced to the power wire for both side turn signals. Right side works fine, but left blows fuse. I then snip the left side power wire & push the left signal switch. Blows the fuse. So then, I begin trying to isolate the issue. I disconnect the front-left turn signal. Hit the switch, & the fuse blows.

As it stands right now, I'm just assuming that there is a short in the circuit. Somewhere between the battery & the fuse box. I'm very much circuitry inept, so my next step was to cut all of the sheathing between the battery & the fuse box to see if there's an exposed wire or some other means of a short. Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.
Giggling_Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #2
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggling_Donkey View Post
Hi everyone. New to the forums. New to the Kawi Ninja. New to the moto world, in general. I just bought my 2012 Ninja 250r a week ago, & have discovered an issue with the turn signals.

So here's the rundown. The previous owner installed an integrated tail light, kept the OEM signal relay, & utilized 2 50w resistors. I've since clipped off the resistors, & replaced the signal relay with a LED-compatible one from TST Industries. So now, the right side turn signal works, but the left side keeps blowing the 10a fuse. Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:

I've snipped off the b/w wire that was spliced to the power wire for both side turn signals. Right side works fine, but left blows fuse. I then snip the left side power wire & push the left signal switch. Blows the fuse. So then, I begin trying to isolate the issue. I disconnect the front-left turn signal. Hit the switch, & the fuse blows.

As it stands right now, I'm just assuming that there is a short in the circuit. Somewhere between the battery & the fuse box. I'm very much circuitry inept, so my next step was to cut all of the sheathing between the battery & the fuse box to see if there's an exposed wire or some other means of a short. Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.
First post and already he's earned an achievement award! May I suggest Mr @csmith12; considering his handle is Giggling Donkey: his achievement award should be "Happy Ass"

Welcome Jeremy! Don't worry; achievement awards are badges of honour!
Sorry I can't help you with the technical glitch but there will soon be help arriving!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
On it Bill...

Welcome Jeremy!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
considering his handle is Giggling Donkey: his achievement award should be "Happy Ass"
Great forum name man!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #5
Giggling_Donkey
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
On it Bill...

Welcome Jeremy!
Quote:
Great forum name man!

Thank you!

Old August 10th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:

Thank you!
Hey Jeremy; quote this post and copy the image text below that will appear in the quote instead of the image, into your signature to get it to appear in your signature:
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Giggling_Donkey
ninjette.org newbie

I assume I include the "[IMG]" and "[/IMG]", then put it all in the big text box...?

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
I assume I include the "[IMG]" and "[/IMG]", then put it all in the big text box...?
Not the big box. Copy the image stuff as you described. Go to your profile page. Select "Edit Signature". Select "Add Signature image". Paste the image text into the box. Save changes.

Old August 10th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Giggling_Donkey
ninjette.org newbie

the "upload signature picture" keeps giving me a "invalid file" message.

Old August 10th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:

Thank you!
I think that's the quickest one ever
I don't like electrical

Old August 10th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #11
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Hmm...Mr @csmith12: is there a sticky on "How to" an achievement award?

Old August 11th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:

The turn signal circuit is very simple. All power on the bike (other than the starter motor's feed) runs out of the battery through the Main fuse on the white wire to the ignition switch. For the signals, the ignition switch feeds power to the white/green wire (separate from other accessory power, so you can use the signals in Park). The white/green wire feeds the turn signal fuse in the junction box, and it goes out on the orange/green wire to the flasher relay. The flasher just turns "steady" power into "flashing" power. The orange wire runs from the flasher to the switch in the left control. The switch connects the orange wire to either the gray (right) or green (left) wire. The gray and green wires run to the signals themselves to power the bulbs, and to the dash for the indicator. The bulbs use the black/yellow common ground wire to complete the circuit.

Everything in the turn signal circuit is shared between both sides except the green or gray wire running from the switch to that side's lights. If the problem only happens on the left side, the problem inherently has to be in the green wire.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #13
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Achievement sig

Quote:
It's already hosted here, so you don't need to upload it. Just paste this text into your signature.

[img]https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1580&pictureid=12996[/img]

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old August 11th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Hmm...Mr @csmith12: is there a sticky on "How to" an achievement award?
Not that I am aware of. There have been various comments in many threads though. Basically, if you can edit your sigpic, then you got dis.

[sigpic]https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1580&pictureid=12996[/sigpic]

The sigpic tag is what I am using.

Old August 11th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #15
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Achievement sig

Quote:
[sigpic]https://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=1580&pictureid=12996[/sigpic]

The sigpic tag is what I am using.
Just doing "[sigpic][/sigpic]" (any text/URL is ignored) will insert into your signature whatever image you have uploaded on the bottom half of https://www.ninjette.org/forums/prof...=editsignature.

In this case, since the image is already hosted here, he can just use the IMG tags around the URL of the pic (like you would to insert an image in a post). If he wants to make it so he's not dependent on your album, he could save a copy of it, then reupload it as his sig pic, then use the SIGPIC tag to insert it.

Old August 11th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #16
Giggling_Donkey
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The turn signal circuit is very simple. All power on the bike (other than the starter motor's feed) runs out of the battery through the Main fuse on the white wire to the ignition switch. For the signals, the ignition switch feeds power to the white/green wire (separate from other accessory power, so you can use the signals in Park). The white/green wire feeds the turn signal fuse in the junction box, and it goes out on the orange/green wire to the flasher relay. The flasher just turns "steady" power into "flashing" power. The orange wire runs from the flasher to the switch in the left control. The switch connects the orange wire to either the gray (right) or green (left) wire. The gray and green wires run to the signals themselves to power the bulbs, and to the dash for the indicator. The bulbs use the black/yellow common ground wire to complete the circuit.

Everything in the turn signal circuit is shared between both sides except the green or gray wire running from the switch to that side's lights. If the problem only happens on the left side, the problem inherently has to be in the green wire.
Ok. I'll try tracing wires tomorrow. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the tank off, but it looks like I'll have to in order to gain access to everything

Old August 12th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #17
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I always start with a multimeter before I start taking parts off