ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Name: poop

Motorcycle(s): Nike Hyperdunks

pix of my bike + repair ?'s

I used kkim's and the DIY wiki's guide on removing fairings and I thought it would be a good place to start with my newly acquired ninja 250R.

So I find out that some pieces are cracked worse than I thought. Namely, the rear rightside tail and the right side fairing. I'm thinking about plastic welding these, but then I have to worry about painting / vinyling them.

However, when I started working on the tail end...
I randomly found this rubber piece (Also, notice the stack of paper he used as a missing nut in the tail frame area, where can I find this nut / washer?)

Where does this belong? (additional shots)

Also, anyone know where to get glass for our mirrors?

And, also, the brake doesn't light up when I hit the rear nor the front. It just stays on. I tried to see if there are un-done connections, but I couldn't find any.

Also, the previous owner chopped the rear fender and added a fender eliminator made of two brackets, however, it has nowhere to mount the rear light for the plate. Is this normal? And do I need this light in California or will the brake light make due?

And, I'm missing the screw / bolt for the main black side fairing. The first one you take off the fairings on the side?

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. Hope I get everything knocked out so when my MSF papers come in I can ride!

Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

That rubber piece goes underneath your passenger seat cowl. There should be two, so check underneath to see if that one fell out.

For most bolts, washers, and screws, I'll bring a spare one to Ace or Lowe's and they usually have a replacement for cheap. Cheapcycleparts.com also carries OEM parts as well.

Do you have rearsets on the bike? Accessing the brake light switch requires removing the rear brake assembly (unless I'm doing it the long way).
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...brake_lever%3F
Towards the bottom of that link, it talks about the brake light switch. I'll take a picture of the fuse to unplug when I get a chance. Good luck!
Oh, you can always install white LEDs for the license plate. Maybe someone else will chime in how they did it.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

the brake light switch is for the front AND the rear? I don't have rear brakes at the moment, because the guy broke the bracket, but i'm fixing that this weekend but the front brake lever doesn't trigger the light either.

and like i told you over the phone... the signals light and stay on, they don't flash... it's so weird.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

Check the brake light bulb to see if its a dual filament bulb. If it saying on but not lighting up when brake it could have the wrong bulb inside. for the mirror check ebay for a mirror. it is easier to buy a whole mirror then to replace just the mirror.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeforever View Post
Check the brake light bulb to see if its a dual filament bulb. If it saying on but not lighting up when brake it could have the wrong bulb inside. for the mirror check ebay for a mirror. it is easier to buy a whole mirror then to replace just the mirror.
could this be the case with the turn signals too?

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #6
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

What up eddie. If i remember right you have at least one broken signal. They probably wont work until it's fixed. When i disconnected one of mine installing my fender eliminator they would just stay on and not flash.

Edit: on the brake light, when the guy broke the pedal the switch could be broken/stuck on. Is the brake light bright like its on or dim?
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGreen View Post
What up eddie. If i remember right you have at least one broken signal. They probably wont work until it's fixed. When i disconnected one of mine installing my fender eliminator they would just stay on and not flash.

Edit: on the brake light, when the guy broke the pedal the switch could be broken/stuck on. Is the brake light bright like its on or dim?
what's up kev!
yeah... i BELIEVE front right signal is gone... i'm not sure cuz i'm not at home.

and i have my new pedal / rear set on the way, and i'll try to hooking everything up and see if that solves this. i'm hoping it does, because i'm EXTRA clueless when it comes to electrical stuff

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:29 PM   #8
kkim

Eddie,

you need to learn to utilize the search function on this site to gain information on each particular problem you are having.

did you get my last PM?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Eddie,

you need to learn to utilize the search function on this site to gain information on each particular problem you are having.

did you get my last PM?
I know, I know... I just had no idea what to search for my questions.
Like the rubber thing and the electrical problems.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM   #10
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

For the license plate light, you do need one in California and also make sure you have a reflector back there too.

I just spliced wires from the stock plate light to a small LED light and mounted it onto the fender eliminator with some 3M double stick tape. The reflectors are small license plate reflectors that screw in.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
For the license plate light, you do need one in California and also make sure you have a reflector back there too.

I just spliced wires from the stock plate light to a small LED light and mounted it onto the fender eliminator with some 3M double stick tape. The reflectors are small license plate reflectors that screw in.
any pics of this? i dont want water to get in and damage the light / housing so i want to know how to seal it off properly

Old October 4th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

okay well a few updates.

First off, thanks to kkim for the service man. =]

The rubber piece I found randomly doesn't seem to fit under my solo seat cowl and I tried to find where it would go on the normal seat and couldn't find an area... I'll keep looking.

----

my rear(set) brake bracket came in (thanks BuckyNaked), but he forgot to send me the spring for the sensor (doh!)

and my front brake wasn't triggering the light either. I checked the brightness by pulling the rear brake switch and I was right, none of them were triggering.

I searched on the forums and I got to this thread...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=brake+switch

So I started pressing the connectors and voila, it starts working only when I press the connectors in a certain area. So does this mean I have to take off the handle bar and fiddle with the connectors?

*EDIT* I just took off the part and un-did the connectors... can't sleep because I keep finding more problems. It seemed to work then it just stops working. I don't know if its the wiring or the actual switch that's messed up.

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #13
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

For the license plate light, you can get led license plate bolts like what I did with my setup here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43742

You can tap into the stock license plate light wiring to power those. Good luck, looks like that bike needs a good amount of work...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #14
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

If you have a solo seat cowl, your rubber grommet may look different. The part you're holding is from a passenger seat cowl. I'm 99% sure that part isn't used anywhere else on the bike.

I pulled one of mine out so you can see what it looks like (also a solo seat).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

yea cuong, that only means one thing...

both of them fell out and I only found one...

lol...

GREAT another thing I need to buy...

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1620 View Post
For the license plate light, you can get led license plate bolts like what I did with my setup here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43742

You can tap into the stock license plate light wiring to power those. Good luck, looks like that bike needs a good amount of work...
thanks for the idea.
any place in particular you bought yours?
will any universal kit do?

Old October 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #17
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
thanks for the idea.
any place in particular you bought yours?
will any universal kit do?
Yeah, any universal kit will work... They are a pain if you need to remove your licence plate for any reason because the wires go through the back of the bolts...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
yea cuong, that only means one thing...

both of them fell out and I only found one...

lol...

GREAT another thing I need to buy...
This happened to me within a week of owning the bike. I suspect that it happens to most before they even look under their seat and they never knew there were any to begin with, thus, reports are far fewer than they should be.

It comes from them not being fully inserted at the factory though they appear to be. It was tought to get them in but my replacements have not come out in 16,000 miles... and I use my helmet hooks under the rear seat at nearly every stop!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #19
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1620 View Post
Yeah, any universal kit will work... They are a pain if you need to remove your licence plate for any reason because the wires go through the back of the bolts...
damn... i wonder if there are any battery operated ones... i know twisting them on and off would be a pain in the ass when I need to go riding at night, but at least i won't have to wire anything...

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #20
Godzilla35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
This happened to me within a week of owning the bike. I suspect that it happens to most before they even look under their seat and they never knew there were any to begin with, thus, reports are far fewer than they should be.

It comes from them not being fully inserted at the factory though they appear to be. It was tought to get them in but my replacements have not come out in 16,000 miles... and I use my helmet hooks under the rear seat at nearly every stop!
yeah, i guess it doesn't really matter since i'm not gonna ever ride with a passenger and i like my solos seat cowl a lot more, but i'm just trying to "restore" my new bike to near perfect condition before i start riding... i have 0 miles on the street and i'm bugging about the cracked plastics hahaha.

Old October 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
yeah, i guess it doesn't really matter since i'm not gonna ever ride with a passenger and i like my solos seat cowl a lot more, but i'm just trying to "restore" my new bike to near perfect condition before i start riding... i have 0 miles on the street and i'm bugging about the cracked plastics hahaha.
Don't fret over the cracked plastics, it happens to the best of the best. Odds are you will drop it and crack them again. Do the abs cement to make them sturdy and deal with the cracks for now. A year or two later you can replace them or have the bike painted.

I have a cracked right fairing on mine and only have had the bike just over a month. If I can get a cheap replacement I will but I am not spending over 150 to do it that is for sure.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote