ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old October 24th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Nik42
ninjette.org member

Name: Nik

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Thank you Chicago for maintaining your streets!

A few days before taking my bike to the family farm for winter storage, I decide to go get some gas.

I pull out of my parking lot, staying on the good side of the road. Turn left onto a bridge. Wait for traffic to clear before making another left turn onto the good side of the road. Then a car cuts me off, sending me onto the not good side of the road. I swerved into a series of potholes. Bike slid out and kept sliding down the street sparks flying everywhere. I slid a couple feet on my knees, and knowing there was a uhaul truck behind me, jumped up and off the road as fast as I could.

Eventually I got the bike started again and rode the 3 blocks home.

I am glad I avoided what could have been a worse accident with the car, and I am glad the uhaul was slow enough to stop.

Besides scraping up my knee, I got out injury free (not that any of the 3 cops that drove past my downed bike really cared).

Looks like most of the bike damage was cosmetic, and the damage to the fairing was a couple clean cracks that I can probably patch and repaint. After looking everything over a couple times, I decided it was still ok to ride and took it to storage yesterday.

I winterized the bike, and removed the damaged fairing and sliders. I figured I have all winter to decide what to do about it.

The two positives I see in this situation is that I now have an excuse to customize the bike a bit more, and I will likely be more active on this site

Pics will follow soon
Nik42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sorry, but glad it wasn't worse.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Nik42
ninjette.org member

The sliders were on the bike when I got it. Really wish I knew where they came from so I can get an identical replacement. This one got bent into the frame which looks like it helped cause the cracking

The only non-cosmetic concern I have at the moment is this severed wire. Didnt notice it until removing the fairing. If anyone could help me identify it I would be greatful. Know I have to fix it anyways, but would be nice to know what it is

Also just realized this is not the first time this fairing was cracked. Looks like the previous owner patched it

Last futzed with by Nik42; October 25th, 2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: fixing broken photo links

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

That sucks! Where exactly did this happen? I've ridden over some pretty terrible spots recently.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Nik42
ninjette.org member

Don't know the name of the street, along side 90/94 just south of the exit for LSD. I am terrible with street names

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik42 View Post
Don't know the name of the street, along side 90/94 just south of the exit for LSD. I am terrible with street names
I was just in that area yesterday, ran all the way up and back down LSD to take a break in the middle of my "sick" day. The further you get from the Loop the worse the roads get.

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Nik42
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I was just in that area yesterday, ran all the way up and back down LSD to take a break in the middle of my "sick" day. The further you get from the Loop the worse the roads get.
Yep. Used to live up in lincoln park and constantly complained about the streets and the traffic, but since there is money up there they do eventually patch the roads. This will be my first winter living south of the loop, and its terrifying to know the roads will only get worse.

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

I used to ride to/from work through Austin and Humbolt Park and the roads get pretty f****ng gnarly in some places. It's like riding on a minefield, but one where cars are also trying to hit you from all directions. Now I'm much happier on 290.

Old October 24th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Glad your not worse off
Y'all should head up the Chicago tourism board!!!

Old October 24th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Glad your not worse off
Y'all should head up the Chicago tourism board!!!
I'm done with Chicago - **** weather half the year, terrible roads, drivers with a death wish and expensive as hell. We're moving to Cali next year.

Old October 24th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
can I go

Old October 24th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Nik42
ninjette.org member

At risk of helping turn this into a 'lets all move to Cali' thread, I love how the day after I take my bike to storage for the winter, the city of Chicago announces it's intention to start searching bags at L-stations. Cant afford to patch roads, but can afford to start random bag searches. And dont get me started on Chicago cops, who have caused a majority of my near accidents.

If only I could afford to move . . .

On a non-related note, is there a secret to putting pix on here? because I cant see the pics I added while at work.

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

I don't see any pics in your post. You can link to them from Photobucket or a similar site or attach them to your post under post options.

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
can I go
My wife and I are planning on renting a camper to make the drive out there. It's the only way we'll get all the dogs and cats out there. There might be a free spot in the dog sleeping area.

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
My wife and I are planning on renting a camper to make the drive out there. It's the only way we'll get all the dogs and cats out there. There might be a free spot in the dog sleeping area.
I don't think my pup would like me sleeping in other dogs sleeping areas :/

Old October 25th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #16
Nik42
ninjette.org member

fixed my pics. Like I said, damage was not too bad. Just enough to give me something to work on before spring

Old October 25th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........ Then a car cuts me off, sending me onto the not good side of the road. I swerved into a series of potholes. Bike slid out and kept sliding down the street sparks flying everywhere.........
Good to hear that you did not get hurt.

You cannot afford a fall each time a driver does something stupid next to you, as they will persist on doing so many times during your future trips.

Learning how to predict the unpredictable and how not to get into a dangerous situation is the best way to avoid this type of accident.

Please, read through our Riding Skills section for good tips and techniques.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #18
Nik42
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Please, read through our Riding Skills section for good tips and techniques.

I do read it quite often really. Read stuff on this site far more than I post.

I have been cut off many times, typically react well to surprise situations, and I ride these streets enough to know what to expect. I know I made a couple mistakes. This was my first fall and I learned from it.

Old October 25th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.......... I know I made a couple mistakes...........
What were those?

In my experience, when forced to roll over uneven pavement, sand, grass or gravel, trying to adopt a vertical position, a straight line trajectory and slowing down with engine and rear brake only, usually works better than trying to swerve to sort the obstacles or using the front brake.

Running into potholes can ruin your wheels, but seldom make you fall, unless you are turning and leaning.

Old October 25th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #20
Nik42
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What were those?

In my experience, when forced to roll over uneven pavement, sand, grass or gravel, trying to adopt a vertical position, a straight line trajectory and slowing down with engine and rear brake only, usually works better than trying to swerve to sort the obstacles or using the front brake.

Running into potholes can ruin your wheels, but seldom make you fall, unless you are turning and leaning.
It's a 2 lane one way street. Everyone avoids the left because of the holes but the right lane gets resurfaced once in a while. I released the throttle and swerved from the right lane into the potholes. Between the lane height differences and the holes I lost it trying to straighten up.

I feel like the biggest mistake I made was going out in the first place. I had not ridden in a week due to to a foot injury, but decided I would be ok to just go around the block for gas if I was careful. As a result I had my bad foot off the brake which was mistake #2.

I could go on about how I was stupid to not take the riding seriously because it was a short trip, or how I was stupid to intentionally ride only using the front brake . . .

Old October 25th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........I could go on about how I was stupid to not take the riding seriously because it was a short trip . . .
I see.

Most accidents happen close to home, maybe due to the overconfidence that a short trip close to home inspires.

Copied from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Hurt_Report

"Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in very short time close to the trip origin."

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #22
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Sorry to hear of your crash but I'm glad you and your moto weren't too badly damaged. It's important to learn from our mistakes so that we can anticipate risky situations and avoid becoming a victim. Stay safe!