ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Ducati Hypermotard 821 vs. Aprilia Dorsoduro 750

Hi Guys,

With a heavy heart, I have put up my Monster 696 for sale (created a thread in Marketplace if you want details). Have owned her for just about 18 months and close to 9500 miles of today (still ride her until she sells). Awesome bike and the sound of the Termi's is fantastic. Unfortunately I have pretty bum knees from too much football (or soccer here) in my youth and had several surgeries that are catching up with me. So I decided that I am going to sell my baby and get something with a less sporty seating position, but still offering the fun factor and agility.

Have pretty much settled on either a Ducati Hypermotard 821 or an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Took test rides on both and the Dorso is a tad more comfortable, but the Hyper is the newer platform with a stronger engine. Frankly I think the Dorso has plenty of power for my use (commute and weekend fun rides), so I don't care too much for the extra 20hp or so that the Ducati offers, but there is certainly also a bit of different of how the power comes in coming out of a corner, making the HM an intoxicating option.

Reason to post here is to see if any of you guys had ridden one (or both?) of these models and get your impression on them. Don't think you can go too wrong with either one of them, but I always value input from fellow riders.

Cheers!
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Wish I could comment, both bikes are on my list to ride.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #3
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Wish I could comment, both bikes are on my list to ride.
Definitely go test ride them both if you have an opportunity. The seat height might throw some people off, but I think both of them are amazingly fun. Not great for long stints on the freeway and their range is limit by smallish fuel tanks, but as commuter/weekend joy rides, I find them hard to beat...

And the Dorsoduro is one you could leave the stock cans on without a worry, they sound THAT good.

Old August 20th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #4
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Heh. Ironically I just put a deposit down on a hypermotard 796. I want something more street oriented and slower than the 848. I've never ridden a hypertard until this afternoon so here is my quick impression.

The newer hypertard is going to be a bit less extreme in ergos. The 1st gen hypertard is like a comfortable dirt bike. Think fast couch. It has you sitting bolt upright on the tank. So much that I was riding it with my foot out and pushing the thing down like a motocrosser. The pegs are right underneath. So no hunched over riding position at all. Other than that it's super easy to ride like your monster. The new bike has a fly by wire set up and it feels weird. Actually its got a whole electronic nanny set up including ABS, riding modes, and traction/wheelie control.

If you were in the market for one the new hypers are pretty trick. I just don't want to spend the money and I like the smaller and more raw feeling of the 796.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #5
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Cam, congrats on the Hyper. Many safe and fun miles

Did you by chance consider (and maybe even ride) the Dorsoduro as well? Given the specs (more power/less weight) and in general more modern features, I really should like the HM 821 more, but after riding both I'm actually leaning towards the DD. Thought it was extremly comfy, sounds awesome with stock pipes and still fun as hell to ride. Plus it's cheaper and for some reason insurance is about half of what the HM 821 would be.

When are you getting your new baby?

Cheers!

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #6
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I've only ridden the 796 version of the hyper and liked it a lot, except for the rubber pegs (easy enough fix). I actually enjoyed it more than the 848 streetfighter. The lower maintenance of the 821 engine seems pretty good though.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #7
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
Cam, congrats on the Hyper. Many safe and fun miles

Did you by chance consider (and maybe even ride) the Dorsoduro as well? Given the specs (more power/less weight) and in general more modern features, I really should like the HM 821 more, but after riding both I'm actually leaning towards the DD. Thought it was extremly comfy, sounds awesome with stock pipes and still fun as hell to ride. Plus it's cheaper and for some reason insurance is about half of what the HM 821 would be.

When are you getting your new baby?

Cheers!
I'm 5' 4'' with a 28 inch inseam. The dorso is a bit wider in the seat for me to really be comfortable at stop lights. The 796 is small enough that I can get a toe down by sliding around on the seat. Plus it's a red Ducati so I had to have it.

I'm picking it up Friday. Right after I finish doing a dirt track school lol.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

If I were you, my decision would come down to dealer support and which one is more comfortable. You know how a good dealer makes all the difference when it comes to Aprilias and Ducatis.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #9
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
If I were you, my decision would come down to dealer support and which one is more comfortable. You know how a good dealer makes all the difference when it comes to Aprilias and Ducatis.
This, except that makes it more complicated. Dorsoduro is comfier and $2k cheaper, but local dealer support goes to the Duc. The Aprilia dealer is fairly new and full Piaggio line. If Mercedes does end up buying Aprilia, not sure this dealer would keep them and then I look at at least an hour on the freeway to get to next dealer.

But of course by then I might be on to the next bike anyway...

Old August 25th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #10
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
This, except that makes it more complicated. Dorsoduro is comfier and $2k cheaper, but local dealer support goes to the Duc. The Aprilia dealer is fairly new and full Piaggio line. If Mercedes does end up buying Aprilia, not sure this dealer would keep them and then I look at at least an hour on the freeway to get to next dealer.

Wasn't Mercedes buying mv Augusta?

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #11
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Wasn't Mercedes buying mv Augusta?
I had heard the Aprilia rumor a while back, but a quick google search indeed showed more recent articles on them potentially making a bid for MV.

Old August 26th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #12
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Can't go wrong with either! I used to ride with a group of older guys with awesome italian bikes and one of them owned the Aprilia DD. He had aftermarket exhaust on it and that thing sounded magical. He loved his, but I never rode it. On the looks and sound alone I'd recommend it. Haha. Although the new hypermotard is quite appealing.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #13
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Get the hypermotard and invest in a touring seat. Or just get the hyperstrada, which comes with the seat and touring accesories.

Honestly that seat is the best seat ive ever sat on.

"the hyperstrada seat"

And i love my hyper motard. I was also between dorsoduro and hyper.

While i didnt ride the dorso, im confident i made the right choice and now have 20,000 miles on my hyperstrada

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Quote:

Yeah, in my case I would be very hard pressed because we have a very good local Ducati dealer and a very good Aprilia dealer in town, and at that point it comes down to the fit and feel of the bike and prices.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #15
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Yeah, you are lucky with AF1 right there....