ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #1
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Angry Almost a close call

So I just got back from a ride on my favorite country highway. It's a 2 lane road with a 60 mph speed limit. There was moderate traffic in both lanes, particularly the opposite lane.

I was coming around a moderate right hand curve with enough foliage to block the view of the exit, and I come around to not one, but TWO cars back to back making a pass in my lane across a double yellow. Mind you, there was enough traffic in the other lane that I wasn't sure they could both get back in their lane. Why they were passing here right before a blind curve is beyond me. Luckily, I spotted them early enough to move onto the shoulder and they managed to get back in. It maybe wasn't close enough to call it a close call per se, but it definitely got my heart pumping and my butt puckered.

If I had been in the same spot 3-5 seconds earlier, I'd be on my way to the ER about now, if not the morgue.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Ugh. Glad you made it out ok and good job keeping your eyes Open to Danger!
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
So I just got back from a ride on my favorite country highway. It's a 2 lane road with a 60 mph speed limit. There was moderate traffic in both lanes, particularly the opposite lane.

I was coming around a moderate right hand curve with enough foliage to block the view of the exit, and I come around to not one, but TWO cars back to back making a pass in my lane across a double yellow. Mind you, there was enough traffic in the other lane that I wasn't sure they could both get back in their lane. Why they were passing here right before a blind curve is beyond me. Luckily, I spotted them early enough to move onto the shoulder and they managed to get back in. It maybe wasn't close enough to call it a close call per se, but it definitely got my heart pumping and my butt puckered.

If I had been in the same spot 3-5 seconds earlier, I'd be on my way to the ER about now, if not the morgue.
Enough said

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Lesson for us all - heads up and look down the road playing what if with yourself. Glad you're OK Trey.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM   #5
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

glad you spotted the danger in time and was able to avoid it

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM   #6
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Lesson for us all - heads up and look down the road playing what if with yourself. Glad you're OK Trey.
i'll second that

glad you're here to tell us about it

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

I keep going over this in my mind. The curve was more of a sweeper than an actual curve (hey, it's Florida after all). I took a pretty standard line around it, but I was near the apex when i spotted them. If I had been further to the outside, I would've seen them a little earlier, but there's no way I could've gotten to the shoulder as quickly.

I'm thinking I might just start hugging the white line all the way around on lazy curves on 2 way streets from now on. Thoughts?
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM   #8
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
I'm thinking I might just start hugging the white line all the way around on lazy curves on 2 way streets from now on. Thoughts?
I think I would keep a normal line and just ride heads-up like you were. I'm not going to try and draw this out but visualize a sweeper, place your bike tight to the dividing line and then think about what oncoming traffic can see. If there are vehicles in front of them (especially a TRUCK) you will be hidden by the traffic for a longer period of time; keep a normal line or to the outside and they could potentially see you sooner.

Just a thought.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM   #9
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Good eye. Glad that it worked out for you.

And I think we all know what that "heart pounding" feeling is like.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #10
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

whew that would make me pucker too. two days ago I was going down an alley behind some retail stores where the loading docks are. I got to the end of the alley where you have to make a left turn and go out toward the parking lot along the side of the building and right when I got to the corner a semi comes around the outside of the corner. It scared the #$@# out of me but luckily we were both going slow enough to stop.