ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

First time on a "real" bike.

I thought I'd share my insight. I get asked the question from others that don't ride or are new to riding when I'll upgrade. I imagine most look at riding a liter bike the pinnacle of the sport riding experience. Because we ride the almost slowest sport bike ever (honors to the cbr 250) it's almost expected that we are missing this magical experience of riding a real sport bike. So a friend thought he would ruin my motorcycle experience thus far and let me take his Ducati 996 around the block. Yea, I took it for a 20 minute trip to the local back road and back. As soon as I came back...and his heart started beating again... he threw me the key to his 1098. Of course the jokes instantly started and he said take it on the freeway and go see what a real bike feels like. Perspectives from a noob with 4000ish street miles, Ninja 250 as only street experience, and all of this was done at night in a short period of time. O and both bikes had reverse shifting on them. Thank god they are geared tall for the street...

The 996-

First and foremost, UNCOMFORTABLE. Seriously, I'm short. Balls of my feet barely touch on the Ninja 250 short. It's a thin bike bike with a very aggressive seating position. I felt scrunched on the 996. Lots of weight on the wrists and if I felt like I had to suck my stomach in to avoid the tank. I feel like I should be starting my warm up lap just sitting on the thing. So whats riding it like? In a street setting, the chassis is totally out of it's element. Low speed maneuvers are entertainingly difficult. Turning radius is huge. I think the steering damper was turned way up too because I damn near had to hang off just to get the thing to turn through intersections. These sport bikes are geared way taller than the ninjettes. When I let the clutch completely out in first I'm pretty sure I was already doing 25mph. The combination of tall gearing and aggressive ergos make the bike a total chore to get around the city in slower moving traffic. So I make it out to the back road and start playing around with it. Throttle response is great. It's quick enough to make the motor feel lively but not hyper twitchy. The power delivery. Dear lord, if I could transplant that motor into another chassis and have that as a street bike I would in a heart beat. There is no comparison to the 250. None. Taking this motor over 8k you're going to be lofting the front wheel and heading into whatever direction your pointed very quickly. It has a linear power build throughout the rev range, no drop offs just a clean pull. But because of this linear powerband and the torquey twin 1st gear power wheelies are easy to hold for a while. No slipper clutch and a big twin means lots of engine braking. Being hamfisted with the clutch or crappy at blipping the throttle will have the back end stepping out even at a moderate pace. The ninja 250 feels like it has no engine braking now. Smooth throttle inputs are imperative while cornering the 996. Handling wise, it has heavy steering. To be honest it didn't feel good except over 60mph. The brakes were fine. Suspension was set too soft so the bike dove hard will on the front binders. Still I loved the motor. Total overkill for the street but you could literally leave the thing in 2nd around town and make everything disappear with a slight twist of the wrist.

1098-

Full termignoni exhaust with a tune. A little too loud for my liking. This bike sounds so sweet. I set off a car alarm while revving it at a stop light. I found it comfortable. Like doing a 300 mile day on it wouldn't be out of the question. It steered just as easily as the ninjette. Aside from the exhaust heat melting me, commuting wouldn't be that bad. The mirrors are useless. I liked the view of my boobs. This by far is the fastest thing I've ever been on. Factory 5 Cobra with a 500hp 427, sorry that didn't try to rip my eyelids off. Getting on the throttle in 3rd gear doing 70 on the freeway results in the front end getting light and rocketing to 130 in a crazy short time. The brakes are the best part of the bike. 1 finger is all it takes to stop on a dime and get some change. I have to admit that I absolutely hated the slipper clutch. Very strange feeling. The lever would go limp as the slipper clutch activated. I like the feeling of control I had with the 996. The clutch can be used as a rear brake. Clutch modulation wasn't necessary on the 1098.

After riding both the bikes I came to the conclusion that I should sell my 250 tomorrow and go pick up an 848. Actually the experience was pretty eye opening. The ninja 250 is so easy and simple to ride. Plus it keeps me out of really bad trouble. Super sports sit on your shoulder and say, c'mon do a stand up the chicks will dig it. I'm glad that I'm learning on one. It scares me that people can get a license and go pick up a 1098. I can appreciate not having to shift at all around town and being able to pass anything anywhere. Although I couldn't help but think how many people ride these super sport bikes completely terrified. You can baby them around of course but everything I loved about the bike is what puts folks learning in diapers. Both of these bikes had one thing in common. Total overkill. The 1098 is the equivalent of bringing an atomic bomb to a knife fight. The limits of both of those bikes are so ridiculously high that I'm not sure that I would enjoy them for what I use my 250 for.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If you liked the 996's engine...you seriously should check out the 999...its just WOW...that's all there is to say about it. It just sucks that the maintenance costs are so high on the ducati bikes.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

I'm mostly impressed by the October join date, 4000 miles, and already holding power wheelies on you first ride on a "real" bike. Did you have any riding experience before picking up the 250?
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Nice thoughts. If you're mature enough to understand the virtue of a small-displacement bike, one thing you would understand very quick is how 'boring' it gets to be riding a fast bike slow. Getting on one every once in a while is a thrill because of the arm-dislocating torque and propensity to lift the front wheel (and it's just straight true that that's fun!). But when you have to live with one, you either never do it or you jeopardize your license. So you end up riding it like a 250, only struggling to keep a leash, getting roasted, getting sh**ty gas mileage, and paying way too much for tires and maintenance. And then, if you're like me, you sell it and buy a Ninja 300.

Having said all that, when I can afford to have a garage-queen toy IN ADDITION to my workhorse, it will be an 848 EVO Corse SE.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

The 848 is a great little machine, not too tall, very thin & eager to pull.

I didn't bring it much over 120mph on the spin, because it was mid November, damp roads with patchy flooding & there was an outrider on

I declined an offer from my old boss to take his 749 for a rip, this one was geared down so wanted to lift the front at the slightest sniff of juice. Wrecking it or being caught speeding on it would have been a 'career limiting move' or worse
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Good write up. Going from a relaxing 250 to something bigger definitely takes some adjustment and I agree that starting on something big has the ability to hinder your learning process. But a lot of people who get bigger bikes unfortunately tend to like the image they portray versus truly learning to have fun on the bike.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote