ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Which track MAM or Blackhawk Farms?

2016 will be my first track day since about 1998. Im looking at two options near me, Blackhawk Farms (multiple trackday operators) or Mid America Motorplex with track addix. Has anyone ridden both and have an opinion to share?

Im looking more for a less crowded track, good runoff zones, a fun but not scary track. Blackhawk is closer by probably an hour but its proximity to Chicago makes me think it would be busy.

Also tires -- can I go wrong with S20 EVOs?
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
2016 will be my first track day since about 1998. Im looking at two options near me, Blackhawk Farms (multiple trackday operators) or Mid America Motorplex with track addix. Has anyone ridden both and have an opinion to share?

Im looking more for a less crowded track, good runoff zones, a fun but not scary track. Blackhawk is closer by probably an hour but its proximity to Chicago makes me think it would be busy.

Also tires -- can I go wrong with S20 EVOs?
Haven't been to Mid America, but been to Blackhawk maybe 10 or 12 times. Mostly good runoff areas, but if you blow turn 4, it's going to hurt. Blow turns 1 or 7 and you might end up in swampland. Motovid is generally more crowded and they have 4 groups so the sessions are shorter at 15 minutes. I recommend MidwestTrackDay, less crowded, longer sessions and IMHO the CR's are better.

Those tires would be fine.

If you pick Blackhawk, post up when you are going, maybe I'd see you there.

BTW, my avatar is turn 5 at blackhawk, my favorite turn on that track.

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #3
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

never been to black hawk. Been going to mam (recently renamed RPM) since 2004. Plenty of run off. My dad seems to make it a point to go off roading, dirt sampling, every time we go. It is sooth enough off track he has never went down.

I have been down twice at that track over the years. Never hurt myself, and both bikes were repaired with a simple bending of shifter or brake lever back into place. Even the fastest corners are pretty tame compared to say BIR.

Evo's should be just fine. I have been running 16" diablo sport demons the last 2 years. Only time they let me down, was when the antifreeze tube sprung a leak. No tire would have kept me upright with that leak.

My vote is for mam.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post
My dad seems to make it a point to go off roading, dirt sampling, every time we go.

Just trying to keep my dirtbiking skills sharp!

Raceway Park of the Midlands (RPM formerly MAM) is a little rough, (brings out the suspension tuner in ya) but I like the layout, and TrackAddix normally runs a two group program, A & B groups with 30 minute sessions. They also do a "Moto Monday" that is a no session day. (everybody rides together as long as you want)
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

I am just here for the update later about your first track day. Good luck, have fun!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Dads trolling their kids posts! What has the internet become?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Good info all around, thanks guys.

When I feel up to speed, the RPM Moto Mondays sound ideal as I can make it a day trip without hotel. Im real curious to see if I have any speed left in me!

I did look at videos from BIR and Road America. All I saw was endless crash walls!! Im too old to take that sort of risk anymore with family and all.

Tires, water wetter, and removing the kickstand and the bike will be ready enough. Its nice having a beater bike to take to the track, it will really reduces the stress and worries. My previous track stint was with a new gsxr600 which I rode slow because I didnt want to scratch it.

Old January 19th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Haven't been to MAM/RPM either, but have raced Blackhawk many times in a kart and on a bike. It's a good mid-sized track. Plenty of moderate-speed corners and adequate run-off IMO. Good for a smaller bike.

Turn 5 was my favorite as well.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #9
Dmj_88
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): Many

I have done track days and racing at both. I would steer you towards MAM/RPM but each track has something to offer.

MAM/RPM has way better run off areas, it's a wider track, it's a longer track, less crowded and longer sessions (30 min), good group of control riders who know what they are talking about, friendly staff, good concessions for food drink and facilities are good. The downside would be the actual track surface is not a nice, and they are a bit more expensive but due to the more time on track I think the $ per min track time is still less.

BHF Has some areas where there is virtually no run off, it's a narrow track, it's fairly technical short track and hard to learn your first couple times there, The track days I went to there seemed a bit more crowded for sure, shorter sessions, but the staff was friendly and most of the control riders seemed good. The concessions area was nice. The paddock was pretty crowded for any paved space but the facilities were good. The track surface is pretty decent until it gets wet then the patches are very slippery. The trackday prices seemed about average.

Side note, Motorsports Park Hastings is one to look into as well. One of, if not the safest track I've been to (run off areas are LONG) fun layout, good surface, great facilities, same nice trackday staff as RPM/MAM, they usually cook food on Saturday night and feed everyone for free, It never really feels crowded on the track. The only downside is it's a long drive for most people since it's in Hastings Nebraska.

I hope that helps
Dmj_88 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:16 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Actually... hmmmm Have a look here first. I have been maintaining this map for 2yrs now, maybe there is a track that you haven't considered because you didn't know.

Now... Blackhawk Farms will run with Midwest Track Days as the org. I have ridden with them and know of a few of their CR's. Hell, I would like to coach for them as they run the type of track day that I like as a customer w/ experience.

If you choose to go to BHF with midwest, lemme know and I will put in a good word with Jeff (runs the show) for you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #11
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 16' S1000RR, 04' CB919, CRF150/230, 07' 250R

Having not been to BHF I cannot comment on it but if you are looking for 250 companions at the track (in addition to the other positives mentioned), RPM/MAM and MPH has no shortage of fellow 250 riders. As many as 6 in our own pit and generally several others, one of which happens to be one of the TrackAddix riders who will happily show you the fast way around on a 1/4 liter. I have a soft spot for RPM. Some will complain about the surface but I think it could be gravel and I'd still enjoy it. Just a fun layout especially on the little bikes. With regards to the cost, if you plan to attend a weekend and can split it with another rider, one could buy their duo track packs and save some coin.
cbreater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #12
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Im sold on RPM! Cant wait to get back on a track.

Now, do I go to newbie school or not? I had about a dozen days on track 18 yrs ago, including a few novice races with the Willow Springs racing club.

Dont worry, I wont come close to embarrasing any of you guys on the track, I pretty much ride like a grandma. Ill be lucky to drag a knee the first time out.

Old January 24th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #13
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Trackaddix is a great Organization, with great people running it. When i was riding with them they had the best Bbq on saturday nights.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Dmj_88
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): Many

Quote:
Im sold on RPM! Cant wait to get back on a track.

Now, do I go to newbie school or not? I had about a dozen days on track 18 yrs ago, including a few novice races with the Willow Springs racing club.

Dont worry, I wont come close to embarrasing any of you guys on the track, I pretty much ride like a grandma. Ill be lucky to drag a knee the first time out.
The school covers flags (standing yellow, waving yellow, red, checkered) track entry and exit procedure, a few riding basics and track etiquette. If you feel like you have these things WELL covered mentally from 18 years ago then you can skip the class just go on the "oreintation lap" at the beginning of the day with the instructor to get an idea for pit in/out procedure.
Dmj_88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:09 AM   #15
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Im signed up for Saturday May 28'th at RPM. Ill be the old guy with the burgandy Ford Edge towing a uhaul trailer and green/black bike.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:14 AM   #16
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Should be a good weekend. We'll be the slew of pregens by the white airplane hangar at the front by the concessions.
Looking forward to the weekend thrashing.

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #17
Z1R rider

May get a chance to practice in the rain, 60% chance of T-storms Sat & Sun, bring your rain suit!!

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #18
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
May get a chance to practice in the rain, 60% chance of T-storms Sat & Sun, bring your rain suit!!
That's just silly talk that id appreciate you keeping to yourself.

Old May 24th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #19
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

I could use some slower "wet pace" laps to learn the track. I remember riding in a wet session once. All I could think about was "gee how do I know how fast I can go before i wreck? The best answer i came up with was " as fast as the guys who are still on the track"

Old May 29th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #20
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

I had a blast!! RPM was great, perfect for the little bike. The track was in better shape than i had expected, there were patches and seams here and there but no rippled braking areas and pretty smooth overall. Im sore from head to toe after riding 6 half hour sessions (skipped the last one). I had the pleasure of getting passed (many times) by Z1R rider & cbr eater & company, as well as half of the new rider school

My bike was just fine no issues at all. I had my S20 Evo tires (110/140 size) set at 27 cold. These went +3 and +5 psi hot, front and rear. No hint of sliding all day, even with some botched clutch abuse. They had a tendency to want to fall into the turn a bit which I really noticed accelerating (slowly) out of corners. They're probably just begging me to go faster. The only thing I scraped on the ground was a peg feeler on the left side. Looks like I need a faster pace before the kickstand bracket becomes a problem. I did take the kickstand off for the day. I did stretch the shifter spring 3mm longer than stock and had zero shifting issues, doing clutchless upshifts half the time.

I was using the Race Chrono app to get laptimes. The week before the event, I was stressing out trying to find a way to attach my phone to the bike without any good ideas. Then, while packing my leathers into the car, I saw that there was a nice big chest pocket sewn in that I had long forgotten about. Problem solved! Race Chrono seemed to work perfectly enough. I started with 2:30 laps in the first session and got down to 2:14 in the second (over my head a little) and a 2:13 later in the day while feeling undee good control. The race pace for 250's would be 1:50 or so, so im pretty slow still. Highest recorded speed was 87 mph.

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #21
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
ah the great RPM formerly known as MAM, i will never forget the windy day where my speedo reached 107 down that LONG straight.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:24 PM   #22
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Was nice to meet you at the track. Weather was awesome both days. 17" wheels and sticky tires should be mandatory for pregens after the first time at the track with them. . Perhaps catch you there again in the future.

Old May 31st, 2016, 06:38 PM   #23
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Cant wait to go back! My favorite laps of the day were when trying to keep up w/ you and your group.

With any sort of luck Ill be able to make another day or two this season.

My legs are still sore!!

Old June 1st, 2016, 06:00 PM   #24
Z1R rider

My legs definitely let me know I'm out of shape, arms too , it's the shits getting old! Was good to meet you, even if we didn't talk much, the boys and myself kinda use the trackdays as "family time". #1 son (cbreater) took to the sticky tires better than I did and improved his times about 5 seconds over the 16" bias ply tires from previous years, I only shaved off a couple (self preservation kicking in). We're planning on getting down there again over Labor Day weekend.

Old September 13th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #25
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Just signed up for BHF on 9/28 w/ Motovid! "Orange" intermediate group.

Old September 13th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #26
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

Quote:
Just signed up for BHF on 9/28 w/ Motovid! "Orange" intermediate group.
was this you in the last portion of the video?? at around the 9 minute mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPuU2zz6scc
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #27
Harpman28
ninjette.org newbie

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ex250, vfr800, klr650, drz400s

If anybody else is interested I have a slot in the intermediate group for sale for 9/28. Big discount for ninja rider. I tore my acl and can't make it. Let me know.
Harpman28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #28
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post
was this you in the last portion of the video?? at around the 9 minute mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPuU2zz6scc
Yep!! Great footage - tgats me from about 10min onwards. I had the most fun in the seond half of session 3, got great tows down the straights and cut my fastest lap at 2:03

Thanks for pointing out that video.

Old September 29th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #29
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

I had my (short) day at BHF. What a beautiful facility, grass everywhere and a park-like feeling in the paddock. The pavillion was first class, with a fireplace and rooftop observation area. Its sort of the opposite of RPM, which is much more bare bones.

Motovid had easily three times the riders as Trackaddix. As it was cold and wet there were lots and lots of red flags. They did get things cleaned up pretty quickly each time. I ended up with one session on a dry track and then it started raining again so I packed up early.

Old September 29th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #30
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I had my (short) day at BHF. What a beautiful facility, grass everywhere and a park-like feeling in the paddock. The pavillion was first class, with a fireplace and rooftop observation area. Its sort of the opposite of RPM, which is much more bare bones.

Motovid had easily three times the riders as Trackaddix. As it was cold and wet there were lots and lots of red flags. They did get things cleaned up pretty quickly each time. I ended up with one session on a dry track and then it started raining again so I packed up early.
Bad luck. We had a pretty good CCS race weekend there last weekend.

Motovid is too crowded, try MidwestTrackDay sometime. I haven't done a MotoVid day since 2013, just got too frustrated with them.

Old September 29th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #31
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Haven't been to Mid America, but been to Blackhawk maybe 10 or 12 times. Mostly good runoff areas, but if you blow turn 4, it's going to hurt. Blow turns 1 or 7 and you might end up in swampland. Motovid is generally more crowded and they have 4 groups so the sessions are shorter at 15 minutes. I recommend MidwestTrackDay, less crowded, longer sessions and IMHO the CR's are better.

Those tires would be fine.

If you pick Blackhawk, post up when you are going, maybe I'd see you there.

BTW, my avatar is turn 5 at blackhawk, my favorite turn on that track.
You shouldn't be "blowing" corners ever. Track day, not a race day.

Old September 29th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #32
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
You shouldn't be "blowing" corners ever. Track day, not a race day.
The only way to insure yourself of not blowing a corner EVER is to not go to the race track. Accidents happen. To me, to you, to everyone, and it may not even be anyone's fault.

Old September 29th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #33
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
The only way to insure yourself of not blowing a corner EVER is to not go to the race track. Accidents happen. To me, to you, to everyone, and it may not even be anyone's fault.
I'm just saying, if you're regularly blowing corners and using the run off you're pushing to hard for a track day.