Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #1
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Can Am Spyder

Does anyone actually own one of these?
What is it for?... or rather Why does it exist? I've never actually seen one on the road and don't know anyone who would be caught riding one.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Saw one on the way to work this morning. The riding position looked incredibly uncomfortable, like the guy was stretched out and almost laying on the tank as if it were a drag bike. I've always thought they're for the people who are too old/scared/otherwise unable or unwilling to ride on two wheels but don't want the honking big Goldwing trikes.

I'd be interested to see how well they take corners, I'd imagine that they're more stable than a conventional trike because the triangle created by the wheels is facing the opposite way, not to mention the incredibly low center of gravity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Shano22
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawi Ninja 250, 2004 Honda CBR600 F4I, 1999 Yamaha TTR225(dirtbike)

they are quite fast and are really manuverable. they have a stiffer suspension up front so it takes turns pretty well. As for the riding position it is almost exactly like a quad will a little better comfort level. I took one for a ride during a demo day at a can-am/kawasaki shop. They had a good bit of power too.

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #4
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Someone on here does own one. Trying to remember who.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #5
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

i think her name is spydergirl or something to that affect. From what I remember she absolutely loves it. I think itd be a good way for some long distance open road touring, especially if your going 2 up. Its different and some people like that. I wouldn't quite consider it a motorcycle but it looks like itd be more fun to tour in than an open top car, heck it looks more fun than a Goldwing.

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #6
ninja250
You are sleeping

Just wondering I guess.
Never seen one on the road but I have seen them around for years now.
Pretty uncommon piece of equipment I suppose.
The attachments for them are expensive too! I was looking for my saddlebags and bumped into the Can Am bags and they're way higher than normal bags! I suppose that's because they wouldn't be considered universal..

Old April 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #7
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

A guy in the club I ride with has one. It's a funky machine to say the least.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #8
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I've sat on quite a few, but never actually rode one. I've always wanted to ride one, too see what it's like. I'd imagine it's like riding a quad.
I have tons of them around here. They seem to be big with Canadians and they bring them down when the come for their Winter vacation.

Reviews put then in the mid 12s in the Quarter mile, which is pretty damn quick.

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #9
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16387

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/album.php?albumid=91
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
I've sat on quite a few, but never actually rode one. I've always wanted to ride one, too see what it's like. I'd imagine it's like riding a quad.
I have tons of them around here. They seem to be big with Canadians and they bring them down when the come for their Winter vacation.

Reviews put then in the mid 12s in the Quarter mile, which is pretty damn quick.
I believe CanAm (made by Bombardier (Ski Doo)) is a Canadian company. they made some wicked fast 2 stroke bikes in the 70's (mx, dual sport).
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11
ninja250
You are sleeping

Dang I think I see that $200 tank bag on there.

Trippy looking piece of machinery.

Looks kinda like something from a futuristic action movie.

I know a girl or two who like quads.. they'd probably be into that sort of thing.

Old April 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

There is one that's built more like a Goldwing but it is serious $$$. It has completely different bars and riding ergos.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #13
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

These were in the new Transformers 2 movie btw. I've seen a handful of them around Wisconsin.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #14
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

They are really popular here. I have seen several on the road. I think they look fun, but I would never pay what they cost.
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I saw my first one about two days ago rolling through downtown. Unusual to say the least, but looked comfortable.

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #16
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I believe CanAm (made by Bombardier (Ski Doo)) is a Canadian company. they made some wicked fast 2 stroke bikes in the 70's (mx, dual sport).
Yes it is from Bombardier and I suppose that is why it looks like a snowmobile.

The main thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't lean. In one sense, it seems like the worst of both worlds. However, for stability, I think having two wheels up front makes a lot more sense than two wheels in the back. Interesting concept and I'm intrigued by the convergence of cars and bikes. One thing I'm very interested in is the leaning Nissan:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/t...ncept-w-video/
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
Yes it is from Bombardier and I suppose that is why it looks like a snowmobile.

The main thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't lean. In one sense, it seems like the worst of both worlds. However, for stability, I think having two wheels up front makes a lot more sense than two wheels in the back. Interesting concept and I'm intrigued by the convergence of cars and bikes. One thing I'm very interested in is the leaning Nissan:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/07/t...ncept-w-video/
Leaning trikes are awesome. It's a shame that Carver went bankrupt, because the Carver One looked like the most fun you could ever have with more than two wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carver_One_2007_16.jpg (30.2 KB, 3 views)
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #18
Shano22
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawi Ninja 250, 2004 Honda CBR600 F4I, 1999 Yamaha TTR225(dirtbike)

there MSRP is about $16000 and up here in southwestern Pennsylvania

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #19
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Does anyone actually own one of these?
What is it for?... or rather Why does it exist? I've never actually seen one on the road and don't know anyone who would be caught riding one.
Uh, I think they look interesting, and I will be more than willing to take one for a test ride.

I'm not so sure I'd be willing to pay the price tag; what, $22,000 US?
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...tro-88741.html

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #20
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Until you get on one and ride it.....opinions arent worth much. I thought it was a waste too until I got a chance to ride one.

It rides NOTHING like it looks. You can run the twisties on it just as fast as any other bike. The thing has traction control that is out of this world, and if for some reason you did manage to break the rear loose on it....it just does a real tight donut.

Id compare it to riding a open cockpit version of a F1 indy car. Sure it doesnt have indy car power, but the things are way more fun than they look.

I can tell you this...If I was in the market for a big cruiser like a Goldwing....Id go for the spyder.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #21
ninja250
You are sleeping

Leaning cars/trikes are sweet. They were on to something with that but they dont' want us taking corners faster or fun in cars so scrapped it. lol

I could go for some spyder donuts. Let's go see if youtube has any for us.

How about this Trex? Hehe they call this one a motorcycle too.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #22
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Here in utah I have seen several Spyders. They look fun. Everytime I have seen them, it has been a woman driver. I really think that that is the demographic that is most likely to buy one.

I know my wife, really likes them and said that she would ride one. I just can afford it.

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #23
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

With some modication of foot controls, they would be very conducive to those injured in bike accidents that can no longer ride conventional motorbikes. Also those that are interested in taking up the sport that have lost some physical motor capabilities or those that have a "balance" issues that cannot handle the 2 wheel versions. May not be for some people, but certainly has a place in the field. Btw.... those that would argue only "old" people would be interested in these, remember... u too will be old someday and that someday comes sooner than you'd like to believe.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #24
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

So one of my Ninjette buddies alerted me to this post so I thought I'd poke my head back in here to say "hello".

The Can Am Spyder was never intended to attract those who were so-called "hard core motorcyclists" but rather attract those who had always wanted to ride one, but couldn't, for whatever reason. It also was to attract quad riders and sled riders (snowmobiles). The Spyder is a motorcycle, yet it isn't. The riding position on my Spyder is more comfortable than it ever was on my Ninjette.

The Can Am Spyder requires different skills to ride it efficiently and should not be ridden like a standard motorcycle. It does not appeal to everyone, but that's okay. There are thousands and thousands of owners all over the world that love their Spyder and most would tell you that they'd rather ride that, than a two-wheeler anyday.

I find the Spyder appealing for many reasons... I love motorcycling, but after three accidents in four years on a two-wheeler I decided it wasn't worth risking my life like that when I get almost all the same joys out of riding my Spyder.

Is the Spyder fun on the twisites? Yes, but it's not the same dance you come to love and know while riding upon a two-wheeler... but it's safer. You won't low-side in gravel on the Spyder, nor have to worry about sliding on wet pavement. And a mis-cue with the throttle or the brake won't put you on the pavement. And the Spyder has plenty of speed. The one litre V-twin produces nearly 110hp and does 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds. It cruises great on the freeway, and pulls a trailer better than my husband's car. Yes, it costs $16,500 brand new and the fully loaded touring model with a factory trailer will set you back about $35K out the door... but if you want to compare it to something more like a Goldwing or a Harley, it's a great deal. And neither of those offer a factory built trailer.

Love it, hate it.... it is what it is. It's a whole new experience of open air riding. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I love mine, and no one can convince me otherwise.

To each, is their own.

Happy riding!!

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #25
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I believe I read that the Spyder has some pretty cool computer stuff....traction control, slow down or something if you tilt it or wheel leaves ground. I read you can disable these saftey features by pulling a few wires ??? And, if Piaggio is making them and Can Am is making them too....there IS a market. Saw the Piaggio one first...very Italian...very pretty. The can Am is much more "brawny"....if you're an older rider...ya gotta remember that bikes used to shake, rattle and roll and break down. These backwards trikes make sense from every angle, IMHO.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #26
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I believe I read that the Spyder has some pretty cool computer stuff....traction control, slow down or something if you tilt it or wheel leaves ground. I read you can disable these saftey features by pulling a few wires ??? And, if Piaggio is making them and Can Am is making them too....there IS a market. Saw the Piaggio one first...very Italian...very pretty. The can Am is much more "brawny"....if you're an older rider...ya gotta remember that bikes used to shake, rattle and roll and break down. These backwards trikes make sense from every angle, IMHO.
The Spyder has a lot of "smarts". It has a traction control system (TCS) and a vehicle stability system (VSS) that assists in preventing roll-overs. I have experienced the VSS on more that one occassion. What it does is that if it detects wheel lift it will apply brake to the front wheel that is on the ground and cut power to the rear wheel until the correction is detected by the computer (the third wheel back on the ground). It offers three-wheel integrated ABS and power-assisted steering control. The Spyder is offered in a five speed manual transmission with reverse gear or a five speed semi-automatic with reverse for an extra $1,500.

I have met several disabled riders whose lives have been saved by the Can Am Spyder. I know guys with only one leg, no legs, etc that ride their Spyders like they stole them and are loving life again. I love the Spyder community.

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #27
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Dang I think I see that $200 tank bag on there.
Hardly. I paid the same amount for that tank bag as I did for the one I had on my Ninjette.

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #28
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

SpyderGirl, sounds like you are living it up on your Spyder!! Keep with it! I would love to test ride one some day to say I have... One of these too.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piaggio-mp3-430-0208.jpg (92.0 KB, 1 views)
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #29
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
SpyderGirl, sounds like you are living it up on your Spyder!! Keep with it! I would love to test ride one some day to say I have... One of these too.....
I have been wanting to test ride one of those MP3s... because I do miss the leaning.

The hubby and I rode two-up cross-country last year on our Spyder while pulling a trailer.... we rode in 16 states and rode 6200 miles in 7 days. It was a blast!! We even rode the Tail of the Dragon in Tennesee.

By the way, the Spyder is now blue and black.

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #30
zenrush
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 650R, 2009 250R (sold)

Saw this at Faster & Faster. They have a section on trikes.

Ducati Desmosedici RR Trike Concept

zenrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #31
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

I saw a picture of that over at SpyderLovers forums... that's pretty cool.

Old April 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #32
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Good to hear from you Katlyn. I like the pics!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #33
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Good to hear from you Katlyn. I like the pics!

Thanks. And for those wondering... I do miss my ninjette.

Here are some more pics from that trip......

Us at Deals Gap, NC, Spyder in Seligman, AZ (route 66), Spyder on Route 66 in New Mexico, and Spyder on US 50 in Austin, NV ("Lonliest Road in America").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spyder and Us at Deals Gap NC.jpg (77.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Spyder on Route 66 in Seligman AZ.jpg (66.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Spyder on Route 66 in New Mexico.jpg (51.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Spyder on US 50 in Austin NV.jpg (88.0 KB, 4 views)

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #34
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
HHMMM a Ducati trike concept...what about a Ninja trike concept? Now that would be cool.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #35
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I was just checking on how much service costs on these spyders....maddd money.

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #36
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
HHMMM a Ducati trike concept...what about a Ninja trike concept? Now that would be cool.
Here is your Ninja Trike:

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #37
Snake

LOL...great Ninja trike.

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #38
Snake

Katlyn it is good to hear from you. We have missed you. Your thread "girls on bikes rock" is still going strong

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #39
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

The Ducati looks alot like photoshop.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #40
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
The Ducati looks alot like photoshop.
It is photoshopped.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote