ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

Went down, now turn signal won't work

So today I low sided. I'm fine except for a sore thumb and my bike took no serious damage. There are some minor scratches and the front left turn signal got broken off. Now rather than blinking, the back left signal just stays lit when it is engaged. What does this mean and how can I fix it?
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Sometimes changing the voltage (like not having a bulb connected to the front or back) causes the current load to change, making the relay not work.

I think that is how it works.

I think it needs both lamps to work properly unless you have a solid state relay (electronic).

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #3
subiegy2010
noob in training

BTW, I should mention that I'm very grateful for frame sliders, riding pants, gloves, and my jacket. All of those made the situation no big deal, would have otherwise been much worse. My thumb is swollen but not broken and my ego is bruised. Anyway, back to the turn signal.

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #4
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

You need a light in the front or else the back one won't flash, i think an electronic flasher relay will fix it. just get some flushmounts or buy a replacement stock light.

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #5
subiegy2010
noob in training

Any recommendations on where to get the stock turn signal online?

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Sorry to hear you Biffed.... Glad your ok.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #7
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiegy2010 View Post
Any recommendations on where to get the stock turn signal online?
you can prob just buy them off ebay, or anyone on this website that has replaced them with aftermarket signals.

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #8
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

Having no front signal will eff the rear one up. Once you replace the front one, the back one will operate normally. Get it off ebay, all the signals are interchangeable so don't worry about getting one labeled front left
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Why did you go down? Didn't you think turn signals and other parts might break?

My advice to you is not crash.

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #10
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Why did you go down? Didn't you think turn signals and other parts might break?

My advice to you is not crash.
Haha that's the same thing u said to me a year ago
Posted via Mobile Device
DarkNinja52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #11
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Jordan, finding spare signals on available can be a difficult task as they're the first thing to hit (and break) in a fair number of spills. If all else fails www.cheapcycleparts.com or www.kawasakipartsnation.com can set you up.

Old March 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

If you have soldering skills, I can give you my stock ones that I chopped off when I installed flush mounts. Let me know.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #13
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

you could PM divingtigger and see if you can buy his left one (if he has one). I bought his right signal when I went down on my right side :P

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #14
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Definitely need both bulbs in the circuit for that side or it won't flash. The stock thermal flasher has a heater that warps a contactor to break contact on the circuit and turn off the bulb. The current for the bulbs flows through the heater, so when the contactor breaks contact the power stops to the heater, allowing it to cool and warp the contactor back into contact, thus restarting the cycle. If a bulb is missing the remaining bulb can't draw enough current to get the heater hot enough to warp the contactor. Conversely, if there's a short in one of the bulb circuits the current flow through the heater is too high and causes it to cycle too fast.

FWIW...

Edit to add a correction. I was under the impression that the stock flasher was a standard thermal unit much like cars commonly use. This last weekend I went to install LED turn signal bulbs and an electronic flasher since the bulbs blinked too fast with the stock flasher, only to discover that my '06 Ninja used a much different module and won't accept standard flasher units. Out of curiousness I autopsied the flash module and found a circuit board with some solid state components on board, so it definitely is not a thermal flasher. I also found that the flasher module for the 2005-back bikes with the bigger signal bulbs is a different part number and flashes too fast with the smaller, lower wattage bulbs used in the '06-07 (and presumably later) year model bikes.

So, I'm back to the stock incandescent bulbs until I can find a variable-load flasher module that will fit in the oem terminal block and mounting bracket.

The information I posted above is still valid for systems that use an actual thermo-mechanical flasher module.

Last futzed with by FrugalNinja250; March 22nd, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: correcting errors
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #15
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Definitely need both bulbs in the circuit for that side or it won't flash. The stock thermal flasher has a heater that warps a contactor to break contact on the circuit and turn off the bulb. The current for the bulbs flows through the heater, so when the contactor breaks contact the power stops to the heater, allowing it to cool and warp the contactor back into contact, thus restarting the cycle. If a bulb is missing the remaining bulb can't draw enough current to get the heater hot enough to warp the contactor. Conversely, if there's a short in one of the bulb circuits the current flow through the heater is too high and causes it to cycle too fast.

FWIW...
And knowing is half the battle.... G.I. JOOOOEeeeeeeee

That was more then I ever thought I'd know about turn signals.