ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

Question Carb Cleaning/Rebuilding Question....

Hey, so I am looking to clean/rebuild my carbs but I got a really high price when I checked to see how much the service would cost me, so I am going to do it myself. Thus, I'm looking for replacement parts but the kits I've seen only exist for the models older than 08, and these kits don't include the jets. From what I understand, jets are something you'd want to replace when doing a rebuild. I found this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9467
with the part numbers, should I just go with those and buy each thing individually? Thanks for your advice.
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #2
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

i heard you can soaked them in carb cleaner then stick in & out a guitar string to clean them

but i guess if you want to buy them you could i paid $5 for a 112.5 main jet in a local shop

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
i heard you can soaked them in carb cleaner then stick in & out a guitar string to clean them

but i guess if you want to buy them you could i paid $5 for a 112.5 main jet in a local shop
I've done that before with a lot of small engine carburetors (lawn mowers, leafblowers, snowblower). But I am looking to avoid the time/effort required to do that tedious work. I'm looking for a faster turn around. I'd much prefer to spray it clean and replace the jets and put it right on the bike and know its going to work. I've got multiple quotes from dealers for $250 plus parts such as gaskets and jets etc. I'm just curious as to what kits/parts/part numbers they would be using so I can do it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #4
cuz
cuz

hope it helps

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/#/...I15I1527E16123

go around to your local shops & ask how much for a rebuild/cleaning

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #5
GateKeeper
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja - Soon

just curious,,,,

what year is this bike that you need/want to clean the carbs on ? Has this bike been sitting for a long time (years) and not running, with old gas in the system that was either not drained or some sort of fuel stabilizer added before winter storage ?

Are these bikes that prone to dirty carbs and so on, I have a 29 year old bike and this year is the first time, I have done a complete tear down of the carbs, and in all honesty, other than some dirt on the outside of the carbs, I really did not find the insides dirty.

Cheers
GateKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #6
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
go around to your local shops & ask how much for a rebuild/cleaning
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd12 View Post
I've got multiple quotes from dealers for $250 plus parts such as gaskets and jets etc.

Old March 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #7
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
just curious,,,,

what year is this bike that you need/want to clean the carbs on ?
its a 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
Has this bike been sitting for a long time (years) and not running, with old gas in the system that was either not drained or some sort of fuel stabilizer added before winter storage ?
Cheers
Yes it has that is why i would like to clean them.....

I purchased this 2010 model used with only 600 miles on it so it sat for roughly 3 years with very little use

Old March 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #8
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

**** gas, like gel

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #9
cuz
cuz

^^^ srry to get out of topic but what year is that Audi tt

how did ur gas get like that??

Old March 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
^^^ srry to get out of topic but what year is that Audi tt

how did ur gas get like that??
im big VAG enthusiast, its a 01tt 225 quattro..

is guessing from the lack of maintenance and prep when storing and leaving bad gas in it by the previous owner. i found this connected on the left side of the bike at the bottom of the air box, it was full of bad gas

Old March 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #11
cuz
cuz

well that just the catcher for oil from your air filter but if your saying gas I would check your float bowl level then

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you usually dont need to replace anything. pull it apart, check the diaphragms for leaks by pulling both open then letting go. if one moves faster than the other you have a crack or leak or something. spray carb cleaner through each jet and make sure its unobstructed. if you cant see or spray through the jet use something thin (like a guitar string mentioned above) to poke the crud out of the hole in the center then spray again. reassemble, tune the mix screws by warming the bike up then changing the mix until it idles the highest (keep both carbs at the same setting), then back it out a little. just a little bit, it shouldnt change the idle but it will richen the mix a little bit to keep things healthy. then sync the carbs. you are done.

if you still have carb issues its possible the internal passage ways are clogged as well and it needs a more thorough cleaning like letting it soak in cleaner.

Old March 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #13
cuz
cuz

if you didn't already c

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11298

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #14
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd12 View Post
Hey, so I am looking to clean/rebuild my carbs but I got a really high price when I checked to see how much the service would cost me, so I am going to do it myself. Thus, I'm looking for replacement parts but the kits I've seen only exist for the models older than 08, and these kits don't include the jets. From what I understand, jets are something you'd want to replace when doing a rebuild. I found this thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9467
with the part numbers, should I just go with those and buy each thing individually? Thanks for your advice.
If it makes your life easier you can have my carbs. I have a 2010 Ninja, and they always worked fine for me. You could either use it for spare parts or simply use it and keep yours for spare parts.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote