ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 11th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #1
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

Name: d1gi

Motorcycle(s): 250!

Clutch cable routing and cover.. NEED HELP!

So I need a little help with the clutch cable routing on a 2005 Ninja 250.

I took some pictures of what I am talking about.

In the following pictures you can see the cable (has blue tape on it) and the headlight fairing stay (also has blue tape on it).

What I want to know is: does the clutch cable route UNDER or OVER the fairing stay?

I stupidly pulled it out too quickly and didn't take note of this. I'm putting a new clutch cover gasket on today and would like to get this done ASAP.

Also, does anyone know if you need to use silicone sealant around the gasket on the clutch cover? The manual says to use it at 3, and 9 o'clock positions.. but I have also heard you don't need to use it at all. Should I just put a little on the entire case? Would it make any difference?

Thanks everyone!
d1giPhux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome d1gi!

I am sure someone will post up soon. I would know the answer but I don't have my manual handy nor have I have my pregen back together enough for some routing photos for you. I hope someone may help you soon.

Good luck sir!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #3
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks!

Hopefully someone will chime in here.

Got the clutch cover off too, an the hardest part is removing the silicone junk they used on the 3, and 9 o'clock positions on the engine. Why do they do that? To hold the gasket when installing? Seems like a weak point.

Removing the gasket from the clutch cover side.. now thats a task! Almost done though!

Hopefully someone knows the routing, or could take a look at their bike for me and just feel if the clutch cable runs above, or below that headlight fairing stay (metal bracket).

Old October 11th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Free bump...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #5
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Without checking the manual, I had a look at mine and it goes over the bracket.
The silicon at three oclock and nine oclock is to ensure no leak at the point where the two crankcase halves meet with the clutch cover gasket.

Old October 11th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #6
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

Damn.. i didn't use the silicon! UGHHHH. Am i going to regret this? I don't feel like taking it all apart again. Was a long day today!

Can anyone confirm that i DONT need to use the silicone?

Thanks for the routing information. That will be cake once i get to that part!

So the way I have the cable routed in the pictures above is incorrect?

Old October 11th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #7
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

The silicon at those points is to be sure it won't leak. If you have only just put it back together, I would recommend taking the cover off to seal it, if it has been on for a couple of days I would leave it as is and see whether or not it does leak.

Old October 11th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #8
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

I just put it back together...ugh. don't really want to take it apart again.

I cleaned the surface immaculately.. maybe it would make a different?

if i do put the silicone on.. any specific type i should use? i picked up permatex ultra copper.. but didn't use it. Maybe i just need a 'sealer'?

Really don't want to pull it apart, because if the gasket rips.. im screwed!

Old October 11th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #9
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Yeah Ultra Copper is ok, see how you go, might be lucky. If it has been together for a considerable time it will rip the gasket.

Old October 12th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #10
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

I'm just wondering how necessary it is. Other threads I have read said that people did not recommend using silicone.

Wouldn't the gasket just seal those parts of the engine anyways? Seems like they were already sealed very well. You could hardly even tell there WAS a split in the case.

Also, when you put silicone under just 2 parts of the gasket.. isn't it just going to make it sit uneven? Thats what seemed to be the weak point when I took it off. So would I just want to silicone the entire surface to make it seal proper?

EDIT: Have another quick question.. do I need to / should i lube my new clutch cable? If so.. what can I use that is available at local auto part stores / walmart / etc on a sunday? LOL.

Thanks.

Old October 12th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
I'm just wondering how necessary it is............
EDIT: Have another quick question.. do I need to / should i lube my new clutch cable? If so.. what can I use that is available at local auto part stores / walmart / etc on a sunday? LOL.

Thanks.
Welcome!

The cable runs above the bracket.

The gasket is more than enough if both surfaces are flat and clean and you use a cross-alternated pattern when torquing the bolts.

Yes, all cables should be lubricated periodically.
Any light oil is OK.
Also use grease in any articulation and pivots of levers and cable heads.

Take a look at these, if you have time:
http://www.dansmc.com/gaskets.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/cables.htm

Why did you open with the clutch cavity?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #12
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

Awesome.. you guys rock!

I will be routing my clutch cable ABOVE the headlight fairing stay.

The cable with the blue tape below is the clutch cable. Should that wire be underneath it? Does it matter? Am i worrying 2much?:

Motosfool: I opened the clutch cover because it was leaking, and my clutch cable snapped finally. I used the snapping cable as an excuse to do the entire job.

Now I'm just hoping this sorts the oil leaks. I did see some oil from up top.. hoping its just from the port on the side of the block and being over filled as well??

Old October 12th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Awesome.. you guys rock!

I will be routing my clutch cable ABOVE the headlight fairing stay.

The cable with the blue tape below is the clutch cable. Should that wire be underneath it? Does it matter? Am i worrying 2much?:

Motofool: I opened the clutch cover because it was leaking, and my clutch cable snapped finally. I used the snapping cable as an excuse to do the entire job.

Now I'm just hoping this sorts the oil leaks. I did see some oil from up top.. hoping its just from the port on the side of the block and being over filled as well??
My cable goes over the electrical wires.

There is an O-ring in the cap sealing the oil pouring port.
Over-filling may spit oil from vent on top close to carburetors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6059.JPG (126.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6060.JPG (72.0 KB, 5 views)

Old October 13th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #14
d1giPhux
ninjette.org newbie

Okay great! So looks like I have everything set up correctly then!

Thanks for the pics and info.

Is the o-ring your talking about under the valve cover? Hopefully I didn't break it..

The vent that is near the valve cover on the top.. where is that located? How many 'vent' holes on the engine are there for clowns like me who like to overfill the oil?

Old October 13th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Okay great! So looks like I have everything set up correctly then!

Thanks for the pics and info.

Is the o-ring your talking about under the valve cover? Hopefully I didn't break it..

The vent that is near the valve cover on the top.. where is that located? How many 'vent' holes on the engine are there for clowns like me who like to overfill the oil?
You are welcome

The O-ring that I referred to seals the plug that closes the hole in the clutch cavity, the one used to pour the oil through.

There is a vent for the crankcase to alleviate any pressure pulsations created by the parts in constant movement inside and the heat of the oil.

That vent is connected with a hose to the housing of the air filter.

Fill the oil with the bike in vertical position and on both tires.
Half the glass visor is close enough.