ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Exclamation URGENT - need opinions and help

Calling on a couple people to see what they have to say,

@csmith12 @Racer x @alex.s @Alex @Motofool

I have my first track day of the year coming up on the 11th, and for a little while now my bike has had a tick. The tick goes away when i start moving, but at idle it is pretty loud. I read on here that with our bikes its most likely the cam chain tensioner and cleaning it will sometimes make the tick go away.

Well i took my bike to the shop to get new tires installed and another thing or 2 and i asked them to check the tick out, i told them to check the cam chain tensioner. I got it back today and here is what they told me as well as wrote on the reciept: "Tap sound related to valve train- not sure its chain tensioner related- noise goes away with higher RPM's - possibly valve related.

So the tick is still there and i forgot to ask if they actually went and cleaned the cct. So with all of that what do you guys think it is? And my other question is can i go to my planned track day with the tick and not blow up?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

If it hasn't blown up to this point you should be alright for your track day, if the noise gets louder or something changes then i would dig into it to find the cause. Provided everything remains the same i would run the track first before digging in and possibly having something happen to cause a problem that may not be taken care of in time for your run.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it sounds like they spent about 5 seconds revving it and didn't bother doing anything.

its hard to tell someone if they need open heart surgery based on the description of a crap they took that morning.

you need video of the crap.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
seriously though why don't you just try cleaning your tensioner if you think that's what it is

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Video would help, if possible. The valvetrain on this bike (and many kawis, for that matter) is pretty loud. If it does quiet down as it warms up or is revving higher, my hunch is that it is probably nothing to worry about.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
.........I got it back today and here is what they told me as well as wrote on the reciept: "Tap sound related to valve train- not sure its chain tensioner related- noise goes away with higher RPM's - possibly valve related.

So the tick is still there and i forgot to ask if they actually went and cleaned the cct. So with all of that what do you guys think it is? And my other question is can i go to my planned track day with the tick and not blow up?
That diagnostic is really vague; I wouldn't allow these guys (or even good mechanics) doing engine or valve work in my bike.

The valve train is a noisy mechanism and the sources of that tick can be many, but none fatal.

The proper line of action is:
1) Inspect, and correct as needed, valves' gap.
2) Service the CCT.
3) If noise persists after 1 and 2, buy and install a manual CCT.

Enough clean oil will avoid any blow up during your planned track day.

Wear ear plugs and enjoy your rides and track day !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Old Lemon
Lays er down

well i just had them look at it cause the bike was going there regardless, ill get a video tomorrow

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
If it hasn't blown up to this point you should be alright for your track day, if the noise gets louder or something changes then i would dig into it to find the cause. Provided everything remains the same i would run the track first before digging in and possibly having something happen to cause a problem that may not be taken care of in time for your run.
^^^ this. If you can get an APE manual tensioner shipped to you overnight or 2nd day, then order it. Take it with you to the track, they are a snap to change if need be and you will be surrounded by gear heads that can help with the install or answer questions.

Stuff has a funny way of working out. Go have fun and I expect a full report with pics.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Old Lemon
Lays er down

video is currently processing

Link to original page on YouTube.

I should also mention the bike runs and rides the same as the day i bought it. no loss in power or anything

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
kind of sounds like cam chain, but hard to tell, its loud though. Regardless i would just get a manual CCT and put it in. They are nice to have as your OEM will fail sooner or later and it will help trouble shoot.

here is a video of guy adjust CCT more so that you can hear the noise, starts at around 4 min in.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #11
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I had also experienced the ticking noise in your video and it was remedied with an APE manual CCT.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:08 PM   #12
Old Lemon
Lays er down

thanks everyone, ill get me one of them cct's.

one last question though: will the bike pass the track inspection with the tick?

Old May 4th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #13
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

It will pass.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
ride on
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #15
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If someone wants to do some experimenting, the Gen2 EX500 has a CCT with an improved design. http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...CT_Replacement The VN750 also used the same older style and was known to have issues as well.

The EX250 CCT is a different part number from the Gen1 EX500, so it's probably not the exact same dimensions. However, it might be close enough for the Gen2 part to work (it was a different depth from the VN750 part and wouldn't work).
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #16
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
thanks everyone, ill get me one of them cct's.

one last question though: will the bike pass the track inspection with the tick?
Only time I've seen someone actually have to turn their bike on for tech is if they look super loud and there are DB limits on the track... you'll be fine.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #17
Old Lemon
Lays er down

ty again everyone for the peace of mind, i ordered an ape cct and will bring it along with me if it arrives in time.

Old May 5th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #18
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

has anyone done a how to write up or video on the MCCT install? I hear either good or horribly bad things, no in between, and most of the bad ones have to do with the install.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote