ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

anyone have experience with cooling vests?

I would like to buy one. So far my budget is small and I'm looking at he alpine stars mx cooling vest. I plan on buying it later today but would like to see what the forums have to say.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I love mine, it's basically this one:

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...est/web1001053

In 100° weather and average humidity it keeps me moderately comfortable for over an hour on a "charge". It soaks up about two quarts of water if you let it soak in a sink, on the road it takes about a quart unless you want to sit there and let it absorb for 10 minutes or so. I've worn my up to 106°F and it was good for about 45 miles or so. I wear it under my mesh jacket, and I'm fairly heat-adapted.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

It's funny that you posted this. I was thinking on my way home from work in this heat wave (105 degrees ) how nice it would be to have one on. How are you planning on using it? I haven't ever used one, but I wouldn't think it would be all that practical unless maybe you are using it at the track since it works by being soaked in water.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #4
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

i have been wearing the Cycle Gear Heat out Shirt and has worked really well. its on sale for 15 bucks so pretty cheap and easy to wear, keeps you dry and cool

and its 110 more or less here in AZ. So it works in the extreme heat with a mesh jacket for me

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #5
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I love mine, it's basically this one:

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...est/web1001053

In 100° weather and average humidity it keeps me moderately comfortable for over an hour on a "charge". It soaks up about two quarts of water if you let it soak in a sink, on the road it takes about a quart unless you want to sit there and let it absorb for 10 minutes or so. I've worn my up to 106°F and it was good for about 45 miles or so. I wear it under my mesh jacket, and I'm fairly heat-adapted.
Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
i have been wearing the Cycle Gear Heat out Shirt and has worked really well. its on sale for 15 bucks so pretty cheap and easy to wear, keeps you dry and cool

and its 110 more or less here in AZ. So it works in the extreme heat with a mesh jacket for me
Oh wow, cheap. Any durability problems?
e;\ looking at how it works and your report on it, a shirt and shorts really look appealing to me. I'm in Tx with dry heat so I suppose I can expect similar results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
It's funny that you posted this. I was thinking on my way home from work in this heat wave (105 degrees ) how nice it would be to have one on. How are you planning on using it? I haven't ever used one, but I wouldn't think it would be all that practical unless maybe you are using it at the track since it works by being soaked in water.
I plan on just putting it under my mesh jacket, then taking it off at my destination and put it back on on the way back home.
e;\ I would hope traveling down the highway at 60mph should assist in water evaporation.

Old June 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #6
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I have a cooling vest similar to the one Frugal posted. I've worn it while touring in SoCal and Arizona in summer (110+ degrees) and have found it incredibly helpful. Combined with a cool tie (http://www.aerostich.com/cool-off-tie.html), I'm good for up to 50 miles at a go depending on the temperature.

Old June 30th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I have a cooling vest similar to the one Frugal posted. I've worn it while touring in SoCal and Arizona in summer (110+ degrees) and have found it incredibly helpful. Combined with a cool tie (http://www.aerostich.com/cool-off-tie.html), I'm good for up to 50 miles at a go depending on the temperature.
Thank you, my friend told told me about the neck ties the other day, glad to get a little more feed back.

Old June 30th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #8
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
Thank you, my friend told told me about the neck ties the other day, glad to get a little more feed back.
I have some of those neck ties too. Keep ya cool for a while. For about 45 min on constant highway riding or about all day just city riding. i got those for 2 bucks each and i got like 4 haha.

And riding with the cycle gear shirt under a mesh jacket has shown great results. Less heat build up, alot more cooling around my back and arm areas. I even wore it as i walked around yesterday and felt cool the whole day. For 15 bucks its doing the job but i only see it lasting one summer. The durability is good but make sure you dont get any velcro stuck to it or it will pull out some stuff. Its really sensitive material. I would recommend it. Im actually going to consider getting the head thingy (5 bucks) and maybe the long johns which is also 15 bucks.

Old June 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
I have some of those neck ties too. Keep ya cool for a while. For about 45 min on constant highway riding or about all day just city riding. i got those for 2 bucks each and i got like 4 haha.

And riding with the cycle gear shirt under a mesh jacket has shown great results. Less heat build up, alot more cooling around my back and arm areas. I even wore it as i walked around yesterday and felt cool the whole day. For 15 bucks its doing the job but i only see it lasting one summer. The durability is good but make sure you dont get any velcro stuck to it or it will pull out some stuff. Its really sensitive material. I would recommend it. Im actually going to consider getting the head thingy (5 bucks) and maybe the long johns which is also 15 bucks.
Seeing the prices and your experience with the stuff I'm considering getting a whole set, shirt shots an d neck thingy.

Old June 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If you don't want to spend all the money on a vest....just go get a frogg togs chilly pad, and wet it down...toss it down your shirt. Things work great...its what I use.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
state-change vests are worth their weight in gold.

Old June 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

My one summer with a cooling vest ended up not being any good. It was only good for five minutes in 100+ degree temperatures before it became as dry as something that came out of a dryer.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #13
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
If you don't want to spend all the money on a vest....just go get a frogg togs chilly pad, and wet it down...toss it down your shirt. Things work great...its what I use.
Interesting thanks.

Old July 1st, 2012, 06:42 AM   #14
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
I soak it in the sink until it's dripping then put it on. When I stop for gas I work another quart into it from one of my water bottles ( I carry several when riding long distances in hot weather). I generally don't wear the coolvest for short rides around town, ride less than 25-40 miles.

I'm pondering sewing perforated vinyl tubing to the vest so that I can keep it wet on the road without stopping by using a small electric pump and reservoir setup.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM   #15
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Just ordered Heat-Out t-shirt and shorts. =] I'm excited to beat the heat!

Old July 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #16
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Just ordered Heat-Out t-shirt and shorts. =] I'm excited to beat the heat!
let me know how the shorts go. Im considering them too. And try soaking the shirt and see. When the materials wet cools really quick.

Old July 1st, 2012, 05:35 PM   #17
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
My one summer with a cooling vest ended up not being any good. It was only good for five minutes in 100+ degree temperatures before it became as dry as something that came out of a dryer.
What vest did you have?

Old July 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM   #18
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
i can see this happening in texas.

emptied a drink on the ground and went inside for 5 minutes.
when i came out the ground was dry.

you guys have low humidity
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:14 AM   #19
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

This kind of evaporative cooling works best where its hot, and dry...however those ideal conditions also mean it runs out quicker.

If I stick the chilly pad down my shirt, and then take off...it will only last about 10-20min. However, if I put it down my shirt, and then put a jacket on...it can last over an hour. If you can use the vents in your jacket to control airflow over the material you can make it last longer. If you combine it with a shirt like underarmor, it improves its performance even more. If the underarmor is wet too, its even better.

I've actually been thinking about getting a few more chilly pads, and stitching them together into a vest. Im telling you, these things get COLD though, and I'd probably be shivering a lot till it started wearing off.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #20
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
state-change vests are worth their weight in gold.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=31

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...5&postcount=18

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48129

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #21
oblivion007
"scandal!"

So the heat out shirt and shorts I've had a lot of use with them in the humidity since its been raining lately and they seem to make but a small difference in the humidity and more of a difference when its dry but my ass still gets sweaty and annoyingly grips my pants because of it.

The alpine stars evaporative vest works great! Keeps me very enjoyably cool but hardly soaks up any water, I've yet to try and run it to its limit time wise. All the rides I've been taking have been 15 minute rides and of course it lasts. My suspicion is that it won't last long, it only soaks water on small specified places. I presume for long riding one might want to go for another vest.

Works great though =] and the heat out gear is lovely indoors! haha

Old July 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #22
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

I have the cycle gear one and it works great! It only works if there is airflow to cause evaporation. I've tried it in a jacket without vents and it just got really hot and humid.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #23
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
but my ass still gets sweaty and annoyingly grips my pants because of it.

I got some as a gag gift, but after sweating like crazy in the heat, I tried it. The stuff actually works (up to a certain point).
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #24
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post

I got some as a gag gift, but after sweating like crazy in the heat, I tried it. The stuff actually works (up to a certain point).
Yup, monkey butt is real, it's a off-road thing.

Old July 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM   #25
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Ninjette View Post
Yup, monkey butt is real, it's a off-road thing.
Hmm cool!