Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Riding in the wind

Hey Peeps

So, there I was walking to my bike after a day at work, I was thinking wow, this wind is really bad. Anywho, I proceded to mount my bike and start her up when a massive cross wind came and I had to plant both feet on the ground to avoid falling over. It was like this through the whole city till I managed to reach the highway where I would be riding into the wind.

There is a left hand turn on an overpass that is always windy, I got onto the over pass, there was no wind, great .. Then bang, it hit and I could see the concrete barrier getting closer very quickly I closed the throttle a little and leaned harder to the left. I made it round the corner without incident and I had room to spare, so all is good. But this has raised a question for me, what does everyone else do when it is really windy? I know that NZ is windier than most places due to the location, but it will still apply. Do you stay inside away from riding, or do you brave the wind? and if you do ride, how do you stay on your intended path without being blown off?

Thanks
David
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2
kkim

how strong was the wind?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

There are things you can do to make riding in windy conditions less hairy, but there's also a point where it doesn't matter who you are or what you're riding and intense winds can be unsafe.

The simplest and most helpful advice I've come across is to keep your elbows/shoulders loose. Wind is generally more likely to move your torso than your bike. If your arms are tense (in scary winds, it's natural) then your moving torso is going to also move the handlebars, which then steers the bike. Keep your arms loose and your body can wiggle in the wind without affecting your steering.

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

I am not sure of the exact speed, or force of the wind, but considering I had to have both feet planted at a stop not to fall over, it was higher than normal.

Ryan, I know that there is a point where it is just not safe to ride, I know people who have been thrown off bigger bikes by the wind.

I usually try to keep myself hunkered down a little under the aftermarket screen I have as it sends a lot more of the wind over the top of me compared to the stock screen.

I usually try to keep myself as loose as I can when riding as I have found my riding is smoother, but I have not thought about it when riding in windy situations like this, next time I will look at how I am riding and adjust accordingly.

I might add that yes, I do live in windy Wellington before anyone else says it

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If I've found myself riding in high winds, I have learned that riding slower doesn't help the situation. If you have a choice to be riding 45 mph or 60 mph, for example, the effect of crosswinds is more prevalent at 45 compared to 60. Doesn't mean you should go faster than you feel comfortable, but a little speed does provide more inertia in the direction you want to go, as well as more gyroscopic stability from the bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Yes, I have also found this is true, the difference between riding at low speeds getting onto the highway and then at actual highway speeds I feel more stable. (and it is the same environment, so the wind is the same)

The part that concerns me is while cornering and the wind hitting in the side that I am turning to (turning left, wind hits left)

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Understood. It can be unnerving at times, but just remember that you can provide a heck of lot more directional control to the bike with countersteering than any wind gust ever will be able to. Don't tense up, don't get nervous, and just continue to look where you want to go and apply pressure to the bars to make sure it happens.

Sudden gusts are never fun, but I kinda like riding in strong sidewinds, especially with a group, as it looks neat to me to have a string of motorcycles traveling down a straight road all leaned over into the wind.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Yes, that is true. I am in control of the bike, NOT the wind I will try all this out tonight.

I was thinking about this on the ride into work this morning and made sure I stayed loose and kept looking where I wanted to go and the wind didn't bother me as much

I will admit, it does look cool to see a bike going down a straight road leaning over to counteract the wind especially when the viewer is not in the wind, so does not know the force.

Thanks everyone

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

You can predict sudden wind blasts around buildings, underpasses, etc. Just picture the wind squeezing in between two buildings--it will accelerate. The same applies to treelines and hills off to the side. It is second nature to me because I am a sailor. As soon as I pass a land mass, I expect a blow.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, I try to do that, but the thing is, some times there is a wind blast and others there is not. Also, trying to predict when and in which direction the wind will hit, is hard (around town, the highway if fine as it is more predictable). No doubt with practice I will get better though.

Old January 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #11
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

I've done a lot of riding in the wind at my location. Since I work in LA during the week, I go through a low mountain pass on I-10 on a regular basis, where it's not uncommon to have windy and gusty conditions.

Like you've all been saying, don't brace yourself against the wind (you're moving, what is there to brace against?). If you lock yourself up then you have no control, you're just a large tin can waiting for a strong enough gust. The trick is to be prepared to counteract the effects of the wind. The preparation is partly physical, a comfortable tuck posture so that you're not acting like a sail, a good grip with both hands without tensing your arms so that you can use the controls but stay mobile; and partly mental where you anticipate the motion(s) of the wind and how you'll respond to them. You end up constantly adjusting to stay on your intended path. I guess it's sort of a "Zen" thing, try to work with the wind, don't fight too hard against it.

The inertia and gyro-stabilization definitely works too. Generally, go as fast as you are comfortable with for the situation. That minimizes the effects of the crosswinds and all.

And, of course, there should be a safety limit where enough is enough (which can vary from person to person). If the cage drivers can't stay in their lanes, or there's danger of trucks turning over, or airborne debris affecting visibility (or lane conditions!) then it's time to stay home.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Sailariel

My friend who races a `Busa says, "Loosen up and let the bike dance with you. After a while it gets to be a lot of fun" Sort of what Alex was alluding to. I agree that in town it is entirely a different story.

Old January 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Ken, that is a very good and clear explanation which makes a lot of sense.

So, if it is too windy, would you call into work for me and tell them I won't be in due to the wind? (even though I could take the train )

Alex, that is a very good metaphor to explain it!

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #14
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

My biggest issue with riding in the wind is in-town where the speeds are lower. I rode for the first time, after my little wind accident Memorial Day weekend, last Thursday. Coming home from school in a 40 MPH zone I slowed down to about 10-15 MPH as I approached my right hand turn into the neighborhood and thought for sure the bike was going to blow out from underneath me. I would have been so pissed as I had just fixed the bike from the previous windstorm.

Other than just relaxing (which is difficult to do when it feels like a crash is fast approaching), are there any other tips for lower speed riding in windy conditions? It is often gusty around where I live, especially in the evenings.

Old August 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #15
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

one time I went over the Richmond Bridge. Not surprisingly, windy as hell since it's over the water.

In general for riding in a straight road, I found what works for me is staying low on the bike, but relaxed, and steady on the throttle keeping it in the right power band.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #16
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

it gets windy here, and it's never been an issue till i experienced the wind's effect on the 250. alex has offered some good advice in dealing with the handling issues the wind has on our smaller, lighter machines. the ninja simply gets pushed around abit more than any other cycle i've ridden, and this fact has actually affected my decision to ride or not. i'd estimate that gusty trade wind weather w/winds at or over 35mph is where i'd consider riding the bike or not.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #17
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
I've done a lot of riding in the wind at my location. Since I work in LA during the week, I go through a low mountain pass on I-10 on a regular basis, where it's not uncommon to have windy and gusty conditions.

Like you've all been saying, don't brace yourself against the wind (you're moving, what is there to brace against?). If you lock yourself up then you have no control, you're just a large tin can waiting for a strong enough gust. The trick is to be prepared to counteract the effects of the wind. The preparation is partly physical, a comfortable tuck posture so that you're not acting like a sail, a good grip with both hands without tensing your arms so that you can use the controls but stay mobile; and partly mental where you anticipate the motion(s) of the wind and how you'll respond to them. You end up constantly adjusting to stay on your intended path. I guess it's sort of a "Zen" thing, try to work with the wind, don't fight too hard against it.

The inertia and gyro-stabilization definitely works too. Generally, go as fast as you are comfortable with for the situation. That minimizes the effects of the crosswinds and all.

And, of course, there should be a safety limit where enough is enough (which can vary from person to person). If the cage drivers can't stay in their lanes, or there's danger of trucks turning over, or airborne debris affecting visibility (or lane conditions!) then it's time to stay home.

addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #18
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
i'd estimate that gusty trade wind weather w/winds at or over 35mph is where i'd consider riding the bike or not.
Umm yeah, if it's that bad, I dont blame ya. I wouldnt be riding at all on a day like that
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #19
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Riding in the wind > Pissing in the wind
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #20
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

One thing that drives me batty is when people suggest stepping up to a larger cc bike because the wind blows the 250's all over the freeway. Seeing as the 250 shares the same wheel size, same general shape, similar weight, and similar rake angles, there is literally no difference the wind would have on a 250 bike that it would over a 600cc bike.

That's not quite the theme of this thread, but that question seems to come up a LOT with people who are new to riding on freeways.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #21
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If I've found myself riding in high winds, I have learned that riding slower doesn't help the situation. If you have a choice to be riding 45 mph or 60 mph, for example, the effect of crosswinds is more prevalent at 45 compared to 60. Doesn't mean you should go faster than you feel comfortable, but a little speed does provide more inertia in the direction you want to go, as well as more gyroscopic stability from the bike.
Not sure I agree with this assessment. Last I checked, you get more overturned semis on windy freeways that in windy parking lots..

A more (or perhaps less) relevant example would be that places like Bonneville get shut down if its too windy. And by too windy, i mean too breezy.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #22
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
One thing that drives me batty is when people suggest stepping up to a larger cc bike because the wind blows the 250's all over the freeway. Seeing as the 250 shares the same wheel size, same general shape, similar weight, and similar rake angles, there is literally no difference the wind would have on a 250 bike that it would over a 600cc bike.

That's not quite the theme of this thread, but that question seems to come up a LOT with people who are new to riding on freeways.
Have you actually ridden something larger than a 250? I rode my friend's '08 ZX-10R, and I could not BELIEVE how much more stable and planted that thing felt at ALL speeds compared to my 250 with modified suspension, and I love how my bike feels. I rode a stock '07 that felt like I was riding on a water bed..
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
Not sure I agree with this assessment. Last I checked, you get more overturned semis on windy freeways that in windy parking lots..

A more (or perhaps less) relevant example would be that places like Bonneville get shut down if its too windy. And by too windy, i mean too breezy.
I've found it to be true, both of your examples are corner cases. A stopped vehicle sure isn't going to move that much, and a vehicle breaking landspeed records is at the very limits of traction and air at 200+ mph or more can have a tremendous effect even if there is the slightest crosswind.

But at speeds that we're all more used to on our motorcycles, in my experience there's some validity to it. It can be demonstrated best on a very windy day on a place where there are unpredictable crosswinds. Best example I can give is going over the SF Bay bridge when the wind is up. On a bike at 40 mph it's incredibly hairy; I remember times being blown from one side of the lane to the other, manhandling the controls to keep things going straight. First inclination is to slow a bit, but it actually makes things worse. Speeding up to 50 or even 60 adds a surprising amount of directional stability. YMMV.

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #24
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
Have you actually ridden something larger than a 250? I rode my friend's '08 ZX-10R, and I could not BELIEVE how much more stable and planted that thing felt at ALL speeds compared to my 250 with modified suspension, and I love how my bike feels. I rode a stock '07 that felt like I was riding on a water bed..
Yes I've ridden several larger bikes. I've noticed no WIND differences. The wind blowing on a 250 is going to be the same as a 10R. The RIDE might be smoother as the suspension a ton more adjustable and I have noticed this as well. But feeling wind gusts on a 600cc supersport bike is going to feel the same as a 250.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #25
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

It's good to hear how others have reacted to high winds. I was caught off-guard last night by a quick side wind. It pushed the bike over into the next lane before I could react. I just knew I was going to plow into the van 2 lanes over.

Lesson learned. Be prepared for quick gusts when passing by the airport.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #26
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

well dave, ummm windy days can be a 'pita' or downright scary to ride in!
Im one that has always checked the weather report (daily). Sometimes i just choose NOT to ride the Ninja and ill just take the car.

motorcycles are at mother natures mercy once a strong cross wind or such Plows into you... just hang on!

Ill also note this... in my Windy-riding exp, riding 2-UP is Even More Scary! As the Ninjas aerodynamics totally change just from having your gal on the back.
City riding is alil safer, due too buildings and such blocking wind or routing it in different patterns.
Where as highway riding with higher speeds, tend to be more dangerous. Not to mention your kinda forced to ride faster to keep up, then ride a nice MPG friendly 55-60 MPH!
Riding at 55 mph on the highway.. in 'todays world' your more likely to get killed from behind from cars going 80+ MPH then whipping into the slow lane at the ****ing Last sec before their Exit... just to save 10 secs from their ride back home from work.
Rather then chill in the slow lane for 1 mile at 65-70MPH before merging OFF the highway in a safe,cool,slower manner!

(I remember when 70 MPH was fast as hell 15-20 yrs ago and ppl as a whole didnt dare to drive this fast on our highways. Now if your not doing 85+ MPH, youll get ran over! )

yea also as Alex pointed out, there is alil noticable difference from strong cross winds blowing on you during different riding speeds. Ive noticed this also, mostly i think when slowing or (gliding) towards a red light or stop sign waaay ahead. as im cruising at like 35-40 MPH steady speed (cuz i know the light will change to green soon, so No rush to speed up only to have to jam on the brakes...) then get BLASTED by wind, woohoooo...weeeeee!
compared to riding just abit more, say around 45-55 MPH, the same type of wind blasts.. feel slightly less!

What do you guys do when a huge SEMI is heading toward you on the other side of a 2 lane road at 55+ MPH?

I go into FULL or 3/4 TUCK to Sheild/Stable myself and my Nate as it passes, also for 3 secs afterwards!
Do you guys too? That can be scary, given if that happens on a Open Bridge on a 2 lane road, on a Windy 40+ MPH (gusting) day!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #27
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post

(I remember when 70 MPH was fast as hell 15-20 yrs ago and ppl as a whole didnt dare to drive this fast on our highways. Now if your not doing 85+ MPH, youll get ran over! )
Back in the day wind noise let you know you were going fast. Today in these sealed areo bubbles you can't tell how fast you are going except by the speedo.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #28
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
Yes I've ridden several larger bikes. I've noticed no WIND differences. The wind blowing on a 250 is going to be the same as a 10R. The RIDE might be smoother as the suspension a ton more adjustable and I have noticed this as well. But feeling wind gusts on a 600cc supersport bike is going to feel the same as a 250.
I totally agree. The key to riding a Ninjette in the wind is to relax and keep the RPM up----around 9K is about right----It will feel like a 600cc supersport. The Ninjette is not happy at anything under 7500RPM. Mine is perfectly content to run 60MPH in 5Th gear.

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #29
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I totally agree. The key to riding a Ninjette in the wind is to relax and keep the RPM up----around 9K is about right----It will feel like a 600cc supersport. The Ninjette is not happy at anything under 7500RPM. Mine is perfectly content to run 60MPH in 5Th gear.
So when Kelly said"The Green ones are faster" It wasn't BS?
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #30
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
What do you guys do when a huge SEMI is heading toward you on the other side of a 2 lane road at 55+ MPH?

I go into FULL or 3/4 TUCK to Sheild/Stable myself and my Nate as it passes, also for 3 secs afterwards!
Do you guys too? That can be scary, given if that happens on a Open Bridge on a 2 lane road, on a Windy 40+ MPH (gusting) day!
In my limited experience, I find it helps to make sure you're relaxed and light on the bars. If you're stiff (especially in the arms), any body motion from the wind gets transferred into handlebar motion, and to me it seems to make the situation a billion times worse.

Edit: Looks like Alex beat me to it! Anyhow, I missed the "relax" advice when I first read his post, so maybe it bears repeating
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #31
tonybhall
knees in the breeze

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Try this...

When you get hit by a wind on one side, keep your foot on the peg but push your knee out into the wind. Here's what happens...

When you get hit on one side by wind, it pushes you in the direction of the wind. But if you put your knee out into the wind, it catches the wind and creates drag almost like a parachute. It will actually counteract the force of the wind pushing you. It really well.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #32
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
In my limited experience, I find it helps to make sure you're relaxed and light on the bars. If you're stiff (especially in the arms), any body motion from the wind gets transferred into handlebar motion, and to me it seems to make the situation a billion times worse.

Edit: Looks like Alex beat me to it! Anyhow, I missed the "relax" advice when I first read his post, so maybe it bears repeating
I am relaxed in the arms! still that doesnt matter.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #33
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): White 2011 Aprilia RSV4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
Try this...

When you get hit by a wind on one side, keep your foot on the peg but push your knee out into the wind. Here's what happens...

When you get hit on one side by wind, it pushes you in the direction of the wind. But if you put your knee out into the wind, it catches the wind and creates drag almost like a parachute. It will actually counteract the force of the wind pushing you. It really well.
That's a technique I use in windy conditions. The previous owner of my bike told me to try that technique and I find it works for me. I feel more stable just having the one knee sticking into the wind. It's worth a try.

Old October 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #34
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I like riding in the wind, it's fun
I put my shoulder into it.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #35
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

My knowledge of single track dynamics is not good enough to explain why...

But I am pretty sure from riding in some nasty gusty cross winds...

To some extent cross wind gusts causes a correcting counter-steer. Or there is some self correction caused by the wind force.

I.E. There seems to be at least some truth to "relax, let it blow you around"
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #36
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog View Post
My knowledge of single track dynamics is not good enough to explain why...

But I am pretty sure from riding in some nasty gusty cross winds...

To some extent cross wind gusts causes a correcting counter-steer. Or there is some self correction caused by the wind force.

I.E. There seems to be at least some truth to "relax, let it blow you around"
aahhh, OK.... it took me a minute to understand what you meant (have a cold and a bit loopy), but I got it. You might be right about that.

Old April 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #37
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

A couple of weekends ago I was riding with friends in winds of 35-40mph with gusts to 50+. It was brutal. At one point I was leaned over about 20 degrees into a wind from the right front, mostly right, when a 50+ gust hit me. I was doing 70mph on a straight stretch of concrete freeway and the wind made my front tire hop over almost a foot, it was all I could do to keep from low-siding. I later theorized that the vector of the wind on me and my bike essentially made me into a symmetrical airfoil, or wing, and the combined wind velocity of over 100 mph actually generated enough lift that, with the sideforce of the wind, was enough to slip the front tire.

I dropped my speed to less than 60mph and that helped greatly. My riding buddies, all on heavier and more powerful sportbikes, had no problems and left me behind.

There were a few sharp curves where the wind blew me to the ouside of the turn despite my leaning into it, and one elevated highway exit ramp where I was curving to the left but leaned over to the right into the wind. That was all kinds of wrong.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #38
bigair
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I agree with staying loose, and keeping the RPMs up. That is a really good strategy for riding the Ninja regardless of the conditions and expecially when windy. It is frequently gusty in Colorado and that is the strategy I use. I think the only difference the type of bike would make is if it was a lot heavier like a big cruiser maybe.

Practice helps as well.

Old April 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #39
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Lay on the tank with knees in tight, elbows tucked in
resting on your knees. Right peg on balls of foot, and left peg
on the arch for shifting. Keep in the left lane to keep speed up to split the wind
and try to keep distance from vehicles to avoid buffeting!
Steer with feet and legs, and if you have a tank bag you can lay on it proping your helmet too!
In this position I can ride till I have to fill up! Use a tank bag with
bladdar to keep hydrated!
I rode like this with all my camping gear at 85mph and bike was very stable
in the nastiest of crosswinds. If you sit up you can get blown away!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #40
headshrink

I find I do a little better wearing a backpack. The straps hold my jacket in tight... otherwise it has a tendency to fill up with air a little and be more sail-like.